Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• loma1loma1 Posts: 32
    Perhaps they will just start importing the Prado.

http://www.toyota.com.au/index_showroom.asp?forcenav=showroom

Gary
  • I thought the Prado was the Landcruiser currently sold in the US market with other engine options?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    thanks guys , a friend was looking, but did not want to buy if a redo was a few months away,

Regards,
    DL
  • I am getting close to close a deal on 2002 4Runner with Sport Package 4WD. The Price is 27850.42 + Tax, Lic and Reg, after the 1000 cash back (In southern Ca area).

Is this a good deal?

I like to get it in the Silver color, however the sales guy is telling me that the 4 Runner with Sport package does not come in silver only in Thunder Cloud. Is this true?
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
  • Your pricing seems reasonable, but barter as low as possible (of course). I haven't seen a silver sport but our thunder cloud is a great color (in our humble opinions) and is as close to "silver" as I've seen.
  • I'm just as curious as all of you are regarding the redesign of the 4Runner. I have wanted one ever since I fell in love with them at the age of 7 or 8, I believe. Over the years, the truck has just grown up and now, it looks better than ever. Below is some information that I found on the web. The link to the site is:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/toyota024runner/expreviews.html?review=cg

Model News

On a year-to-year basis, 4Runner sales dropped 10 percent in calendar 2000, ending just shy of 112,000 units. The likely reason? More competition from newer midsize SUVs, including a growing number of car-based "crossovers".

But 4Runner fans won't be waiting long for an updated version of their favorite. It's due to arrive by mid-2002 as an early '03 model. Tipsters say it rides the same new platform destined for Toyota's redesigned 2003 Tacoma pickups, and will be engineered for greater refinement and better performance. Even so, the '03 will maintain 4Runner's traditional truck-tough character so as to stand clearly apart from Toyota's new car-based Highlander. A four-model lineup should carry over from 2001 as Toyota goes with the market flow and gives Highlander more emphasis as its mainstream midsize SUV.

SUVs of all types keep on getting bigger and costlier. The new 4Runner should be no exception, though it may not grow to 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer size, and Toyota will employ all its latest manufacturing tricks to minimize sticker shock. An optional 3rd-row seat is an outside possibility, but we can't confirm that or details at this point. Keep checking back with us for further information as it comes to light.

They call it the Land Cruiser Prado but I'm sure its different because they sell it in AU alongside the LC 100 series which is what we have here. I think it's smaller than our cruiser and larger than a 4runner.
    If they were going to make the 4runner larger it would seem to be more economical to just import something already designed and badge it 4runner than to create a whole new design. But there may be problems with US safety laws and the current design of a Prado, who knows?

Gary
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    I'm in the market for an old suv. Since this is the 4Runner board, can anybody out there advise on what to look for on an old(er) one? I'm talking anywhere from 1989-93. I'm also considering a Jeep Grand Wagoneer from about 1986-93 - the last year they made them. I just like the looks of the Wagoneer. What should I look for on the 4Runner say, if it has well over 100,000mi.? Would I be crazy considering one with this many miles? And, as for the Wagoneer, any ideas on what to look for/watch out for? Thanks to all!
  • <<#837 of 848 dog guards by loma1 Nov 19, 2001 (04:09 pm)
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a dog/cargo guard for the rear? Gary>>

We have successfully used the Midwest Barrier for three different vehicles (Explorer, Jeep Gr. Cherokee and now our 4Runner). Great for any size dog(s). Our two Golden Retrievers work well with this item.
    It is available through your local pet supply center or can be ordered via mail through:
    Cherrybrook (1-800-524-0820). Catalogue #46 features these items on page 11. They are easily adjustable to fit most any SUV vehicle, are sturdy and simple to install/remove.
    Carl Wytovich
  • 3686236862 Posts: 2
    I just bought a dorado gold 4runner (2002) Limited. Since the color is not a "true" gold but a somewhat silver-gold; I'd like to bring out the gold color. Would a gold emblem or black pearl emblem package enhance this color? If the gold would work; what is the cheapest but most durable way to go about it? Have it brushed on or replace all them emblems? The dealers are very pricey in terms of ordering the emblems and installing. Any suggestions, esp. for this particular color?
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at those:)

Gary
  • sdeamesdeame Posts: 14
    I am looking at the SR5 and the Limited and wondering what I should expect for a deal.

Is Invoice- 1000 rebate realistic?

I am located in Boston
  • I can save about $1500 on a 01 4Runner SR5 4WD compared to a 2002. Is there any difference between the two trucks, I am interested in the VSC and Traction Control, the only difference I see is the look of the rims, Is the sport package the same? how about the interior and exterior colors?

Thanks
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    I don't have a 2001 or 2002, but I'm pretty sure that the Sport Packages of 2001 and 2002 are different. I think it's to get the 2002's out of the way to make room for the 2003's later. I think there was also some difference in interior as well, but I'm not really sure about exterior.
  • I have a 1997 4Runner, 2WD, 4cyl, AT. How often should the timing belt be replaced? How much should I have to pay to have it done? Can most any mechanic do this or do I need to find someone with Toyota experience?

Thanks
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Your 4 cylinder doesn't have a timing belt. Only the V6 does. You have a timing chain, and that needs replaced only when it starts making noise. Figure at least 120K miles.
  • Gas pedal sticks in the idle position (not in the accelerated position, Thank God!, it always goes back to idle). It is most annoying from a dead stop, but I also notice it when accelerating at higher RPMs. The dealer said there was some carbon buildup and a cylinder had to be replaced - $125. There's got to be an easy, inexpensive way to solve this. Do you know of one?

Automatic antennae will not go up or down. The motor runs when it is supposed to though. When I open the passenger door, I can see the little booger, but can't get to it. Can't get close to it under the hood. Do I have to take the wheel well lining (cover?) off to get to this motor to find out what's wrong? Do you think I need a new motor?, antennae?, what?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic. I am a bit baffled though by the gas pedal sticking. Isn't it supposed to stick at idle or am I missing something here?

As to the antennae, I don't know. Sorry, but you'll have to ask somebody who has looked at it closer.
  • (1997 4Runner, 2WD, 4Cyl, AT)

Here's what happens...

If the vehicle sits at an idle for several seconds (like at a stop light), when I attempt to accelerate, the pedal has a little "stick" to it. Once I push hard enough to break the stickiness, it accelerates OK, but the vehicle jumps or lunges. I can't smoothly accelerate from a dead stop. It also happens if I am cruising down the hi-way and want to accelerate (but not as sticky).

As I said, it does not stick when I release the accelerator. It goes back to the idle position. It only sticks when I attemp to accelerate from any position.

Thanks cliffy1 or anyone else who can contribute.
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    Has anybody upgraded the stock speakers, and maybe added an amp? I want to upgrade the stock stereo, but like the setup of the stock headunit. It has large buttons, a volume know and a tuning knob. Replacement headunits that I've looked at almost never have all three. I also prefer the way the stock headunit looks in the center stack, as opposed to almost all aftermarket headunits. Maybe I've just been "spoiled" by the stock headunit.