Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jfegerjfeger Posts: 38
    I plugged it straight in without a surge protector. I have a Toshiba Tecra TE2100. I think the only real risk is drawing more current than the outlet is rated for, or damaging the battery charger. I feel Toyota would have protected this outlet for current rating, so it would trip the fuse/breaker before it damages anything. As far as killing the battery charger, I see this no different than using a cigarette lighter charger, with the exception that those have some added power conditioning built in that the standard wall charger may not.
  • Thanks jfeger. Good to know it's working.
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    What's the power draw on your laptop, jfeger? The AC->DC converter on mine has an input of at least 160W (100V * 1.6A), even though the output is only 65W (18.5V * 3.5A). I think the outlet is only rated for 100W. Though I would like to use it, consdering my wife and I are going on a 2000+ mile road trip in our 4Runner in 10 days....but I haven't tried it because I thought the draw would be too much for the outlet.

I have a Compaq Evo N610c.
  • Has anyone added a CB antenna to a 2004/04 yet? I'm curious what type you installed and where. I don't want to drill holes. Magnetic ones will scratch, and the window ones are not strong enough.
  • The K40 antenna works very well and doesn't move at all. The magnet mount is great. I usually cut a thick piece of tracing paper or baking paper just slightly larger than the magnet. Thick construction paper works well too. It should keep it from scratching any paint. The magnet is huge and won't have any problem staying put. I had it on a black 4WD and never had any problems with it.
  • Do you work for the National Enquirer or just sit around basing a theory you have on hypotheticals that are completely groundless and based on nothing more than your own rantings?

The VSC/TRAC has been around for a long time. Toyota has it on the older 4Runner and many, many thousands of them do fine with VSC/TRAC with well over 200,000 miles.

It is frightening how little you know about solid state electronics or the fundamentals of the systems in Toyota's trucks.
    If you have a concern, why don't you call Toyota and ask them for literature on the VSC/TRAC system. That way, you don't sound like a tool when posting conjecture.

BTW, ABS is an electronic system that comes standard on nearly every production vehicle in the United States. When are all these cars going to self destruct?
  • asif1asif1 Posts: 49
    I am surprised what is the motive for you to post such a message to spread chaos among owners with no solid ground. you are basing your theory on your junkyard experience. I am not an Electronics engineer but a simple person can tell that any Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) or Actuator can simply be programmed to shut down incase any malfucntion occurs. In case some thing goes wrong the System wont kick in, not to what you think that it will go wrong way. The Vehicles with these systems are tested for long time. Can you imagine a billion dollar company will risk its future by not exhuasting the possibilities of what can go wrong. The PLCs are in market for a long time, engineers have been studying it for more than 20 yrs.. i guess you should take your Terminator theory some where else.
  • jcliffrojcliffro Posts: 108
    I have to side with the opponents of rodout's posting. Rodout, if you had prefaced your comments by saying "I have thought about it and my fear is that...." then that would have been an entirely different matter.

However, by not prefacing it that way, you owed your fellow post readers some authority for your statements. Can you cite to any studies or higher authorities than yourself to back up what you have said about what happens when VSC systems get old? If what you have posted turns out to be true in even 2% of cases, then we all should know about it; me in particular since I am still driving the 1985 Nissan 300ZX that I bought new over 18 years ago (only 86,000 miles) and I would not be surprised to have my next vehicle, hopefully a 4-Runner, for about 15 years.
  • I'm a new owner of 04 Runner w/V6. Happy with purchase...yes. Have stink problem ...no. However, have noticed a low frequency rumble when cruising with rpm near 1800. More so in 2 wheel mode than 4 wheel mode. Not tires since a slight change in rpm negates the rumble. Anyone know if this ia a tranny (overdrive?) quirk. Can I live with it ...yes, but it takes away the smooth running I had anticipated with this car. Also have the slight engine valves tapping noise that some have described in the past w/V6. Open to any and all comments.

Also, if anyone is interested in all weather OEM mats or exhaust tip, etc. don't go to the dealers. Mine wanted $108+tax for the mats alone. Got them on internet for $76 shipped to my door. Shop around.
    Happy holidays.
  • What are the differences? Would I need both on my new 4runner? I have made the decision to go with a 4runner Limited, V8, NAV, leather, dealer installed rear DVD system , and all the goodies (roof rack, cargo net, spoiler, etc................now I have to get the best price. I decided against the 3rd row seat mainly b/c I want the NAV, but also because the 3rd row seat is NOT safe; no airbags protect the 3rd row and the seats are almost up against the rear door. I wouldnt feel comfortable if I had little ones sitting there....................
  • XREAS is a dynamic system that has all 4 shocks connected. It helps "flatten" out the ride and keeps the swaying down to a minimum. You can really notice it on twisting mountain hiways or transitional moves.

Air suspension simply jacks up the rear end when towing and carrying heavy loads to level out the suspension and distribute weight.

You cannot get both, I don't think
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    X-REAS is available with the rear air suspension.

One other small advantage with having the rear air suspension is that it can make loading easier by lowering the vehicle (although it is only about a couple of inches).
  • The XREAS is good for minimizing rocking and rolling, and the air susp. is good for heavy loads/towing. So if Im not towing (ever), then I dont really need the air susp..............true? If its a major extra $$ option, then I suppose I dont really need it......
  • Yes. Toyota made the air suspension for towing. If you don't tow or carry extremely heavy loads, then the air suspension would be a waste of money.
  • I certainly DONT need that, but I'll take the REAS shocks..........
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    I think that if you want the Nav, then Combo #2 applies, which includes both X-Reas and Air Suspension. You probably can find one separately, but it will be harder as most 4Runners are preconfigured to either Combo #1 or #2 (with regional variations).

The Air Suspension is also helpful for heavy loads in the cargo area, but unless you carry lots of heavy stuff, you probably don't need it.
  • 18fan18fan Posts: 147
    I am new to SUV's (now drive a car) and would like to hear your opinions:

I am currently looking at a used 2000 4Runner SR5 4WD with 26K miles and the 3.4L V6 engine. Would you all recommend the 4Runner? What kind of gas mileage could I expect? (I drive about 80% city & 20% highway). Are there any maintenance, defect, or repair issues I should know about before buying this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--18fan
  • With 80% city, I am going to guess around 15mpg.
    The 2000 4Runners are bulletproof and there are no issues with them that I have heard.
  • jfegerjfeger Posts: 38
    My Toshiba Tecra TE2100 laptop power supply is marked as follows:

Input: 100V-240V~ 1.2A-0.6A 60-60Hz
    Output: 15VDC 5A

So I guess I am doing 120Watt's max on this guy, but more like 90-100Watts based on the middle ground.
  • ANyone know of changes for the 05's? 3rd Row seats and NAV together would be wonderful, but are there any major changes? I know Nissa has a completely new Pathfinder coming out and the design looks hot...........I can wait if necessay as I dont need to buy right now, unless my 1987 Maxima wagon craps out on me during the winter (2nd car, not primary!)........