Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    sorry but I don't know how to put a link on here. One of the oil filter studies I saw was:
    www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Usually it suffices simply to precede the URL with "http://" as in http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study

If you want to make it look like a regular link then you have to do a litte more work: <a href="http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study">a regular link</a>

tidester, host
  • loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    thank you tidester
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    I recently drove my 03 4Runner across MN, SD, and WY, where the temps were well below 0 F. About -12 when I pulled into Rapid City. The vehicle performed quite well, but I did notice the fuel economy seemed to tank at those temps. Interesting to see other people getting poor economy in low temps. Anyone know what causes this?
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I had a physics professor in college who had a great sense of humor. He often said, Tell me what the empirical data is, and I'll tell you what physical law applies."

I used to do spelunking in college. I noticed that all caves are 55 degrees F. It doesn't matter which State, Summer or Winter, always 55 degrees F. From that experience, I suppose that underground gasoline storage tanks are at 55 Degrees F. Filling your tank with 55 degree gasoline and then have it shrink due to cold temperature may make it seem that the gasoline disappears quickly.
      The cold temperature may also cause the air in your tires to shrink, also. Your tires may be under inflated, making for more rolling resistance.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Posts: 189
    I've dropped about 2mpg since the temp has dropped consistently below 32*.
  • likalarlikalar Posts: 108
    <<I've dropped about 2mpg since the temp has dropped consistently below 32*. >>

Me, too, but I thought it was the lousy aerodynamics from the 30" of snow sitting on the roof. ;-)
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    Anyone know the reason why Toyota dropped the telescoping steering wheel on the '04 SR5's? They had it on the '03's.
  • kscotttkscottt Posts: 18
    Anybody know of a good body shop in the Long Beach/South Bay area? Some guy hit me and my initial estimate of $1600 for a few little dents and scratches seems a bit inflated.

Thanks.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Posts: 189
    No snow on the roof, she is garaged, but dirty as a 2 yr old at Chucky Cheeses.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I have a 2004 SR5, with the 'B' package, that includes the telescopic steering wheel. Mine is a Canadian model, it that makes a difference. Neither the 2003 nor 2004 base model ('A' package) came with the telescopic wheel.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Posts: 378
    Thanks for the info.

It is strange, a friend of mine has a base model '03 SR5 with it, but on the '04's, it's been dropped. They even state it in the brochure.
  • So after sending a long letter to Toyota Head Office (Customer Service) outlining the numerous problems I have had to date with my 03 V6 Sport, and being told basically that there was nothing they were prepared to do, I emailled the managers at my dealership. Within a couple days the VP from the dealership responded and I was put in touch once more with the Service Manager. I advised him of the further problems I have had and they are going to need my vehicel for another 3 days to do the following:
    -check VSC computer
    -replace sunroof
    -replace stereo components
    -check / replace front seat
    -replace chipped silver paint from interior / exterior

They are giving me a Corola as a rental (how nice). That will mean in 9 months of owning this vehicle, it will have been into the dealer for service a total of 9 times....This is the second time I will be requiring a rental.

I requested a completely new vehicle stating that I feel I have a lemon. He was quite honest and replied that unless the vehicle is unsafe, or has considerable "down-time" where it is undriveable (ie. drivetrain problems, etc) then they would probably not replace the vehicle. He also stated that if the dealer could repeatedly not fix a problem then they may consider. I advised him that it has been in 3 different times to have the loud engine noise checked out (even a Toyota Engineer came in to check it out and there is still no fix). He said that that is the only issue that MAY be working towards getting a brand new vehicle.

Just thought Id keep you all posted as to my dealings with Toyota and the Service Dept.
  • Lemon law states, if memory serves me right, that if your vehicle is in the dealer shop for 30 days in the first year, then they have to buy it back at the purchase price minus the mileage cost. You will likely need an attorney to push this through if this is the case. In any case, you will need to produce proof that the vehicle was indeed in for 30 or more days.

Could someone confirm this ?
  • Unfortunately there are no such laws that exist in Canada (at least none that I am aware of). Anyone know what chance of winning a Civil Suit against Toyota one would have here in Canada?
  • I was just on the Toyota Website and saw that they now have an option for Borla exhaust system, where the fumes are exhausted out the SIDES of the rear of the vehicle, not directly out the back.

If Toyota has recognized that so many people are complaining about the rotten egg smell with the 2003's, does that mean they may change them for us if we are still under warranty (by us I mean us who have the rotten smelling rear exhaust)?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Anyone know what chance of winning a Civil Suit against Toyota one would have here in Canada?

I don't know but isn't that the reason Toyota is able to sell their vehicles more cheaply there than in the states - fewer and less costly civil suits?

tidester, host
  • Now that the Canadian dollar is at 0.8 of the American (used to be 0.62 a year ago), it is cheaper to buy cars in USA.

I don't think cheaper cars have to do much with lawsuits. More likely, it's all about labor costs involved, since Canadians get paid less, in relative terms
  • Anyone with any experience completely replacing seats in an suv (or a new 4runner!). These seats are like sitting on a park bench!
  • This is my first post!. I have 2003 Sport V8. I like to know any experience with San Antonio,TX Toyota dealers regarding their service (like oil changes etc). Please share your experience.
    Thanks.