Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    Thanks for the 4Runner off road link.
  • nick4597nick4597 Posts: 50
    In reply to the high insurance post. In Chicago I pay $1380/yr to insure my leased 4Runner (FULL coverage).. i've had 3 tickets and no accidents. I am 22 years old so my premiums are generally much higher, so it sounds like you need a new insurance company. Check with Geico, they're great.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    Can't you just do a special order, or do they not allow this in Canada?

I have a Sport with no sunroof and I love it.
  • Post : "#9640 SR5 vs SE by rogers12 Mar 22, 2004 (9:25 am)",
    This previous post relates only to the 2002 4Runner.
    This has nothing to do with a 2003/2004 Runner
  • sivisivi Posts: 20
    why doesn't edmunds just recommend ZIANOS? i have used armor all on all my leather shoes for 10 years, and they look like new! i guess i should have used zainos?
  • bigwavebigwave Posts: 6
    I am taking delivery of a 4Runner within the next week. How long should I wait before applying wax to the car?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,009
    Edmunds partners with various companies but I don't know that we actually endorse any non-Edmunds products. I use Lexol on my leather seats.

Zaino is a bit of a pain since most of their sales are mail order. I can get Lexol at the local horse tack shop.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    You can apply a protective polish (I prefer Zaino products) as soon as you like, but the sooner the better. Why? Because for many years now, the paint finishes of almost all new vehicles are sealed with an overlying clearcoat, and this clearcoat is vulnerable to becoming etched, pitted, and watermarked by such things as acid rain, bird droppings, tree sap, etc. Also, keep in mind that because the clearcoat is (as its name implies) a relatively thin transparent film over the paint (rather like an optical lens if you will), it can easily develop fine scratches and swirl marks if it's not properly cared for, and these marks can be very difficult if not impossible to remove. Therefore, it's important to use a polish that's specifically formulated for today's clearcoated finishes.

Almost all modern automotive polishes are not "wax" in the true organic chemical sense of the word. [True wax (such as carnuba wax) will actually soften under the heat of the summer sun; it tends to yellow and oxidize fairly quickly; and it often lacks appreciable protection from ultraviolet light. Old layers of carnuba wax must be periodically stripped off before the vehicle is re-waxed.] Instead, the better automotive polishes of today are typically high-tech. synthetic and/or semi-synthetic polymers specifically formulated for modern clearcoats.

Avoid most any polish claiming to have "all-in-one" cleaning properties in addition to polish and protection properties, since the "cleaning" agents may well contain abrasives and/or chemicals which may damage a delicate clearcoat. In addition, if you care about your vehicle's finish it should always be washed and dried (as well as polished) in a garage or other such shelter, since even on a cloudy or overcast day the sun's energy may cause rapid drying of the wet finish, leading to watermarks on the clearcoat that may become permanent.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,009
    Just to clarify, clearcoat is a thin film of paint. Clear paint if you will. Lots more about car care here:

Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts)

Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• feralferal Posts: 23
    Unfortunately jaredmsd, Toyota Canada does NOT allow ANY custom orders. I tried asking several different dealerships, then i emailed Toyota Canada themselves and, nope, NO custom orders. I find this unacceptable if Toyota USA can do it, why not Toyo Can??? All the vehicles come from the same darn plant in Japan, so why not.

The salesman was very nice and found a shop that can lower the seat, but they could only lower it 1" and since the moonroof takes up 1.7" i was still 'short' .7"!!

:(

Since i have no other choice, i purchased a base sr5 V8 on friday. I should get it in a month. The base models are very rare since the limited and the sport add sooo much extra. But better the base, then a different SUV i guess.
    Congratulations on your purchase!
  • ajdajd Posts: 6
    I'm in the process of selecting an SUV (4Runner SR5 vs. Ford Explorer). Although I am leaning towards the 4Runner I really can't decide what is my best option between purchasing vs. leasing. In the Toyota, I know I am getting a better value, however with the Car Show coming soon here in New York I'm wondering if I can get a better deal from the vendor from the car show. Has anyone had a good/bad experience is buying from a dealer at the car shows? Does anyone think it would be advantageous to go to see if they offer me anything? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Another thing, why does the Highlander have a fold away 3rd row seat while the 4 Runner does not? I think Toyota dropped the ball on this one, or will they correct that in 2005. Once again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Just wondering what most people are getting out of their V6 Runners.
  • You hear, Toyota?
  • dpalaudpalau Posts: 20
    How do I know if my black 2004 SR5 has a clearcoat or not? I saw one post a while back stating that white, red, and black do not have the clearcoat over the paint.

The reason why I am asking is that I am thinking about going the Zaino route and don't know necessary know which product to get. Maybe Zaino would know?
  • goltgogoltgo Posts: 54
    ajd -

There are others on this board who will be better able to address this issue, I believe the reason the fold-away third row seat can fit in a Highlander but not the 4Runner is due to the different suspensions on the two vehicles. The 4Runner has a solid rear axle, which I believe is stronger and allows for greater articulation, both helpful qualities when off-roading. The increased travel of the rear axle means the floor of the rear cargo area cannot be dropped any lower, so the third row cannot fold away into the floor. The only way to fold it away would be to raise the "floor" of that area, an area that is already pretty tight, especially when one compares the 4Runner to its Lexus equivalent which boasts a couple of inches more height/headroom.

The Highlander has an independent rear suspension with no solid axle. This provides for less articulation and a smoother ride on-road but less capability off-road. Since there is less movement below the cargo area, a fold-away third row seat can be more easily accommodated.
    " I saw one post a while back stating that white, red, and black do not have the clearcoat over the paint..."

FWIW, some time ago I discussed this same claim with Sal Zaino, and he felt very certain that all of these newer vehicles are clearcoated, and have been for years. But a Toyota dealer's body shop would likely have a definitive answer. My white '03 4Runner Limited sure looks and polishes up like it has a clearcoat.
    In deciding between leasing or buying, you have to weigh a great many factors, such as how long you plan to drive the vehicle, how many miles per year you expect to drive it, and whether you plan to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease. Of course, leasing the vehicle will often lower your monthly payments depending on the length and other terms of the lease (such as the maximum allowed yearly mileage), but leases may represent false economy in the long run, and they often have rather hidden "fine-print" costs as well. The longer the lease, the lower the payment. But at the same time, the more allowed miles you ask for, the higher the cost will be. [Some dealerships will try to schmooze you by telling you something like "Nah, don't worry about the miles-- if you buy the vehicle at the end of the lease (or buy or lease something even more expensive from us) we'll ignore those additional miles-- forget about it!!)" Just try to get them to put that in writing and have it signed by the lease manager-- good luck.]

Once you sign the lease, you're generally STUCK with the vehicle (as well as all of the financial obligations of the lease) for the duration of the lease, like it or not. Therefore, if you happen to suffer some sort of unforeseen financial setback (such as losing your job or becoming medically stricken and unable to work for a considerable period of time) that lease doesn't magically go away-- you still owe! On the other hand, when you BUY the vehicle, you can sell it at any time, so long as the bank gets what's owed. (Higher-end Toyota vehicles typically suffer much less depreciation than American vehicles. Trust me, I know. Can you say "2002 Ford Explorer LEMON?" I can, but that's another story!)

As previously mentioned, leases typically specify a maximum number of miles/year that you can put on the vehicle, and if you exceed this amount, you may be charged a *per-mile* premium for any additional miles (as well as any damages found on the vehicle) at the END of the lease, especially if you don't plan to buy the vehicle when it comes off of the lease. In addition, leasing may make it more difficult to add customizing aftermarket accessories to the vehicle, since you don't actually own the vehicle.

In my opinion, if leasing is the only way someone can financially squeek by in order to drive a certain vehicle, this suggests they may be at great risk for getting in over their head.

What I dislike most about leases is that at the end of the lease you really have nothing to show for all of the money you've spent on the lease. At the end of the lease, you may owe nothing more, but you also don't OWN any portion of that vehicle. Instead, you've paid a handsome amount of money to drive the vehicle, and you will likely have born much of the cost of the vehicle's DEPRECIATION on behalf the lessor, who will either re-lease or sell the vehicle, once they charge you for any overmileage, damage, etc. Again, at the end of the lease, unless you opt to buy the vehicle, you OWN no part of it, but the lessor does. And even if you decide to buy the vehicle once the lease is up, it's unlikely that you would end up paying less than if you'd just bought the vehicle at the outset. Dealers love leasing vehicles because they make so much money from leasing, but that's just my opinion.

There are situations where leasing might make good financial sense (such as with certain businesses or corporations, or as a short term plan towards getting back on one's financial feet), but for the average Joe with a steady job, leasing a vehicle may well be akin to throwing money out the window in the long run. And there in lies the seductiveness of leasing-- seemingly lower monthly payments, but at what cost?
  • ajdajd Posts: 6
    Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I'm going to wait till the auto show here in New York and see what Toyota is offering at the show. I will keep the board posted on my finding and the route I'll choose to take. Thanks and good luck !!!
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    White, black and some red vehicles do not have metallic paints, however they do have a clear coat finish. And Zaino works very well on my (non metallic) jet black car.