Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I'm in the same boat you are. I have the same tires & the steering is poor. For me, steering a straight line is harder than going around a turn. Prior posts quite awhile back were complimenting the Bridgestone tires. Anyway, I only have 6K so new tires are not in the near future for me.

I might try P265/70R17 tires (if they fit) when the time comes due to the greater selection.
  • kjack100kjack100 Posts: 133
    I posted this previously but the first year or so of '03 ownership, I used BP/Amoco high test almost exclusively. Frankly, the smell was pretty bad during moderate to heavy acceleration. Last November, they tore down the Amoco/BP dealership where I bought 90% of my gas. I switched to Chevron 92/93 and have had no smell since. The kids miss the "who cut the cheese?" jokes though.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Posts: 37
    Ok, what's the skinny? Which gas is best for avoiding sulfur? "Any" well known brand? Those that advertise low sulfur (I only know of BP/Amoco), only high test? I had sort of bonded with BP/Amoco, even going out of my way to find it, and now I'm not sure.
  • lildevil23lildevil23 Posts: 19
    Finally got the vehicle after 2 weeks. Was made to wait as they said the SE was in demand too great to be fulfilled on an immediate basis. Titanium metallic/moonroof/DRL/Spoiler/Deflector/Toyota Viper Anti Theft alarm/Floor mats/cargo system/extended warranty for $34G's out the door. No lojack..thanks for that alfster1!!

I am in love with this car and the hoodscoop just gives the truck a definite presence on the road, unfortunately the truck is proudly driven and owned by my wife, anyways i am still more in love with the 92 Camry SE!!:)

As others noticed, the foot rest on the drivers side is congested, with my feet hitting the parking brake, either i need to get the seat pushed back or find a better way to get around the problem. Need to get used to the backup mirrors. Will keep ya all posted.
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    Congrats on your new SE purchase :) It will bring you many years of happiness, I am sure. Enjoy paying $2.09/gal in the NY area though :( What dealer did you purchase it from? Toyota North?? I still have an 1990 Toyota Camry LE...It still runs like a champ.
    2.09 per gallon...and with the sulphur smell that all of ya keep talking about..hmmm..Is the fuel across the bridge(NJ) any good..cheaper too..Westchester Toyota was my dealer..pretty good place..but needed to be a lil difficult..otherwise great buying experience!!
    Well, there are some places in jersey that I have been to that sell regular unleaded for $1.79/gal. I think that the formulation for NY gas is different than NJ gas though due to NY's lower sulfur limits.

Are you experiencing sulfur smell? Did you happen to purchase a V6 or V8 powered 4Runner?
    No sulphur smell yet..just drove out the dealership the day before. Got the V6 SE
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    From Sunoco: http://sunocoinc.com/market/transportation_fuels.htm#INTRODUCTION

Take a close look at tables 3 and 4, and look at how sulfur content tends vary inversely with octane rating. (Good luck trying to find from other oil companies this kind of on-line information and disclosure about sulfur content. For most, this sort of information seems to be a closely held secret.)
    Great :) I am sure that you will put on many miles over the weekend. Rain is in the forecast though :(

You've got to get XM Radio next. The XM Commander is great and complements the interior well.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    Alfster, you've picqued my curiosity about XM radio. I own an '03 4Runner with DVD/Nav., and am curious about how and where the XM Commander would best be placed. Thanks! KH
    I also have an '03 V8 4Runner Limited with the NAV system.

Sure. Please refer to message #463 in the 4Runner Accessories Forum. I have included a link to the one foto that I have of the display unit. I will be adding more photos in the future when I get a chance.

The XM service is a great one to have, particularly if you do alot of driving. Since there are many programming genres that aren't available on regular radio (ie. Comedy, CNBC, Instant Traffic and Weather in 21 cities, CNN, Bloomberg, etc.), you'll be able to experience much more and be able to catch up on the audio portion of certain news and sports programs. Good luck.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Here's the link: Toyota 4Runner Accessories

tidester, host
  • kullenbergkullenberg Posts: 283
    I put XM in my 04 4Runner, and am really impressed by it. I used the Roady, and mounted it on a swivel mount on the face of the tilt out panel below the A/C panel. All the excess wires go inside that panel. The ant. I have on the dash with a bit of velcro, and it works fine. Also, since the 4Runner doesn't have a weather radio, I bought a hand held weather alert radio for long trips - nice to know if a t-storm or tornado is coming your way,
    Cheers
    Pat
    I thought about purchasing the Roady controller, but I was concerned about the exposed wiring and didn't think I would remove the detachable controller for home use. Now, after experiencing XM, I want to purcchase another controller for home use! :) The XM traffic and weather stations are great, but only if you are in one of the 21 represented locales. I have a weather alert/scanner radio for the treks out into the woods...
    THe weekend was a blast. I'am guilty of not having driven any vehicle at 55mph, but am following that routine for the break in period!!
    I love the handling of the truck though..very responsive to the throttle and didnt have any problems with the braking yet!!.
    The wind noises posted by folks early on in the forum is not much of a concern, i have the wind deflector which seemed to have taken care of that problem.
    While on I95 I did get some foul odor, but it turned out because i was passing the industrial area next to newark!! But the cabin filter was a 100% effective in getting rid of the odor!
    My only problem is the music system that comes standard with the V6 SE, toyota could have done better. The sound quality, although good, is not even as effective as that I have on my 92' Camry!! (most probably due to the space and construction)The XM is a thought at the back of my head as the primary driver 'my wife' does not really listen to a lot of radio..all her listening is from the burnt CD's..which seems to be playing good so far!!
    Need to install crash bars on the truck, will most probably put it up within a months time. I took into account the airbag issues, but i cannot have my titanium metal body scratched!!..
    No plans to do anything major with the truck till this month end, will probably end up taking a road trip to PA
    Thanks again for all the advise and feedback.
    And the t4r.org website should really be promoted as a true 4runner site
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your new 4Runner.

As far as the stereo goes, I guess that including a mediocre stereo as standard is Toyota's subtle way of "gently persuading" the purchaser to opt for the JBL. There is just too much volume for a standard stereo to fill with quality sound. Don't worry, there are lots of options that you can purchase from aftermarketers. Crutchfield is a great resource (free catalogs!), but their prices aren't always the best. They do provide great customer and technical service though. Otherwise, until then, enjoy the "burnt" CDs. Are they of the "kazaa" persuasion?? <wink,wink,nudge,nudge> :)
  • claymore1claymore1 Posts: 21
    Did I understand that 2003 4Runner V6 had some problems with the belt squeeling and some manifold noise (based on discussions I read here)? Have these problems been resolved or do they exist at all on newer models?
    Thanks
  • Just past 6 months since I bought my SR5 V-6. No problems..no rattles..a pleasure to drive so far. I have 7,000 miles on it. I did have the occasional sulfur odor problem but moving up to mid-grade gasoline seems to have solved that. Everyone that rides in it marvels at how quiet it is. Have gotten 22 mpg on the highway, about 18 mpg around town. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an SUV.
    Kaaza, WinMX,Napster and all the free source platforms that helps spread the love and money around!!
    My wife says that she heard some kinda thunking sound(happened 2 times), she had the moonroof open. That should discount the deflector adjusting itslf to speed(as suggested by a previous post). I need to sit in the truck when that happens to atleast pinpoint out the source, if not a remedy to the sound.
    She also said that she felt the brake pedal vibrates in its place. I recall that post too..need to do some back-reading.
    I will be taking the truck to look at the option of getting the Westin chrome push & brush guards this weekend. Any suggestions/opinions?