Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• alfaalfa Posts: 11
    Picked up my V8 limited today. I kind of wanted a v/6 but this is 2nd new car in 20 years so when cars direct found the color I wanted
    ( gold ) in a limited with Nav.I spoiled myself. And bought it. Cars direct was great. None of this start at msrp + and then fight with sales manager to get the price down. Cars direct price was very close to invoice. It was quick and painless.
    Well now I'm in love with this machine. The V/8 5spd auto is very smooth. The 10 speaker sounds just fine to me I wanted a V/6 at first ,but decided that a v/8 might be better for pulling a boat.Did not get X-REAS .Seems to drive just fine.I'm in the auto business ,been around boats , cars , trucks ,motorcycles for years,I can't remember the last time some told me there machine had to much power so they were trading for something thats more under powered.
    Lol.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    Congratulations on your new V8 4Runner Limited! My '03 Limited also has the DVD/Nav. package, which I love, especially the navigation system.

For what it's worth, I'll mention a few products that I've found to be worthwhile: (1) Chevron Techron concentrate-- every ~2500-3000 miles, try adding a 20 oz. bottle of this fuel system cleaner to a tank of fuel. Highly recommended; (2) Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30 motor oil. I change my oil every 5000 miles, and therefore I don't feel a more expensive synthetic oil such as Amsoil is necessary; (3) ZAINO exterior and interior finish products http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc (4) Husky floorliners and cargo bed liner (highly recommended); (5) ScotchGard for protecting carpet and cloth headliner against stains; (6) Michelin Cross Terrains. A matter of preference. You may already have these on your truck. My 4Runner came equipped with Bridgestones, and my dealer was happy to replace them with Cross Terrains at no additional cost.

Alfa, enjoy your new 4Runner!
  • raiderraider Posts: 12
    I believe that I want to buy a black 4wd V-8 4-Runner Sport. I want side and curtain airbags with it and I am wondering if I am going to be able to get the vehicle I want this late in the model year either on the lot, through dealer trade or by special order. My 158,000 mile Explorer Sport is about to die. I guess I could order a 2005 with what I want and then get a rental car for the next few months.
    My Explorer Sport has an engine problem, including a knock.

Any suggestions I would appreciate.
  • beanctrbeanctr Posts: 99
    Raider, have you checked at a dealer yet for availability (they can also run a search for you)? The side curtain airbag option is pretty scarce out here in California, unless you can pony up for the limited model (they don't equip them with curtain airbags on Sport & SR5 model in California). I would think that the 2005 models should be coming out within the next two to three months. If you can't find what you want in a 2004 model, I would wait to see what 2005 will bring. Hopefully your Explorer will last another few months.
    Beanctr, I am going to ask some dealers to check and see what they can find available. Unfortunately, I don't if my Explorer is going to make it a few more months. I may just sell it and then rent a car for a few months if I am ordering a 2005.
  • alfaalfa Posts: 11
    Thanks for the tips on products to use.I really never thought of using the fuel system cleaner.I kind of forgot about. But the teacher at a tech class I was taking a few years ago which has a lot of contact with OE manufacturing companies did say that there was a test done at that time by a independent company of serveral fuel additives and the outcome of the test was that techron was the only product that actually did help clean the fuel system. I'll give Zaino store a try also. As far a using synthetic is not better to let the engine break in for 10 to 20,000 miles first with no synthetic oil so the rings get a chance to seat. ?I had heard that a few years back? But Now I see new corvettes and porsche use synthetic in the engine from day one?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Posts: 283
    I bought a 04 V8 Sport 4WD, with the only option being the side airbags. There is not even a sunroof. I ordered in Feb and took delivery in Apr.. I don't know where you are located, but if it's any help, my dealer is Toyota of Boone, NC. It was overall a very good experience.
    Cheers
    Pat
    I didn't begin using Quaker State Full Synthetic until ~15,000 miles, simply because I was mulling over the decision that long. Prior to this, my dealer was using regular Quaker State, so I decided to eventually go to Quaker State Full Synthetic. At any rate, it's my understanding that synthetic oil can safely and confidently be used from the outset in new vehicles, so long as the oil meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specs and SAE specs. For more information, visit http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

Today's better synthetic oils are not the same as friction-lowering oil ADDITIVES such as Slick 50, which should be avoided.
    Pat, thanks for the tip. I actually live abotu 100 miles west
    of Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm afraid it may be to late to order a 2004. However, I guess I will find that out in the next week
    if I can't find what I want on a lot or through a dealer search.
  • glenski01glenski01 Posts: 40
    I am the proud owner of an 04 V8 Sport, 4x4. The towing capacity is 7000 lbs, I reside in Colorado, which one must reduce towing by 20%, this makes it 5600lb rated (reduction due to high elevations).
    I currently tow a Coleman popup trlr., loaded it weighs 3000lbs. No problem whatsoever. The Mountains begin at 5600 ft elevation and go up from there, this can be a challenge for many rigs.
    Later this year, I plan on purchasing a 23-25' travel trailer. Longer, more mass, more height. Naturally, the RV dealer thinks this should be no problem.
    Anyone have any experiences, good or bad? Please advise, THANKS....
  • kullenbergkullenberg Posts: 283
    Check with the RV dealer about the weight of the trailer, figure your load, and do the math for altitude. I just came thru there in the same vehicle, on I-70 eastbound to Denver, and it pulled the mountains like a champ (not towing anything). I have found that I get slightly better mileage with premium fuel, although the octane requirment goes down with altitude, so it's probably a waste of money, up high.
    Cheers
    Pat
    Sounds like you may be cutting it close in terms of gross towing weight. (My '03, V8 4Runner Ltd. has a class III/IV hitch in place, but I've not yet used it.) At any rate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the newer 4Runners (even those equipped with class III/IV trailer hitches) do not have any type of oil intercooler(s) installed as part of a towing package(?).
  • ohtomaohtoma Posts: 28
    Just announced $750 cash back on 4R in the northeast -- I guess procrastination does pay off!
  • I have a 2WD V8... I love it. Tons of torque and can pass anything quickly and easily. I get 17.5mpg in towm, and 20mpg on the highway; not towing anything.

I think both the V6 and V8 will get you where you want to go, and do it well, but you might check out the Consumer Reports reviews on them too help in your decision as well.
  • yobow1yobow1 Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if the new 4.0L engine for the 4Runner is the same basic block as the previous 3.4L, but maybe bored and stoked? Also, other than some noise coming from the exhaust manifold, has any problems been worked out with the V6 4.0L? Thanks.

Dave
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    I remember reading Toyota built a brand new all aluminum 4.0 truck engine. The 3.4 V6 has a cast iron block, timing belt and no variable timing. Completely different animal.
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    I agree, that's what I read too. I also remember reading that the 4.0L V6 was developed for and first used on the Toyota "Prado".
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    I believe the problems inherent to the V6 have been worked out (fuel in 2003 and Crankshaft pulley in 2004). There are other problems (TSB) pertaining to both the V8 and V6 such as: sulfur odor from exhaust, sunroof rattling problems, rear armrest, and front seat (rocking) problems.

If you're not frequently towing heavy loads (i.e. 5000+ lbs.) I would get the V6. You will get more horsepower (245 vs. 235 in V8), better gas mileage, 125 lbs less engine weight, $1300 cheaper, and the ability to ride around in 2WD with full time 4WD capability when needed.

On the other side of the coin, the V8 is an older bullet proof engine, with more torque (320 lb-ft vs. 283 lb-ft. in V6), with a new 5 speed automatic, that can tow 7000 lbs. In any event I'd wait for the 2005 models to see what (if) improvements they've made in both the V6 (5 speed tranny) and V8 (VVT-i).
  • is a 2004 Limited with the V8. The engine runs smooth as melted butter. I have the 5 speed automatic trans. which shifts as smooth as the engine runs. I am very happy with the V8 and would recommend it to everyone, especially in the light of some of the V6 prolems being mentioned here. Hope this helps someone decide who is in the market now. I have had my vehicle since mid February. I have had no problems with it other than the exhaust which I recently got corrected under the new TSB for the V8 vehicles.
  • yobow1yobow1 Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info guys...that's what I was looking for.