Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    The EPA rating is determined by driving the vehicle on a particular course.

EPA mileage tests (pdf file) are done on a dynamometer supposedly taking into account "real world driving conditions."

tidester, host
  • sauriasauria Posts: 12
    I'l measure too -- what tires do you have?
  • rreeves7rreeves7 Posts: 1
    I purchase the Dueler A/T Revo's for my 2001 4Runner. I absolutely love them!!! They are quiet, handle exceptionally well and perform well in rain. I went one size up from OEM and have not had any issues. I'd highly recommend them.
  • gblgbl Posts: 5
    Sauria,

I have the Bridgestone 265/65/R17's. Had the 4Runner on the highway for the first time this weekend. I was surprised to find the 2005 V8 engine running at 3000 rpms at 70 mph. Can you confirm that this is normal for the 2005 V8 engine from your experience?

Thanks,

GBL
  • tradscotttradscott Posts: 108
    Thanks for the input. I'd like to get something more aggressive than the OEM Bridgestone Dueler HT that I have. I had BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs on my previous vehicle and liked them, but realistically I do not need something quite that aggressive. I'll probably give the Revo's a try.

I did notice that the Revos in 265/70R17 are less expensive than the 265/65R17. I wish Toyota had picked a more common size. After the vehicle gets a little older and I start using in mainly for backcountry skiing and climbing approaches, I'll definately step up in size and get the BF Goodriches or something similar.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    Thanks zeetech for the post. sjohnson2 hasn't posted for a long time. This is great advice for any of us who have the same issue.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    I do not think that 3000 rpms at 70 mph is normal at all. I have a 2004 V8, and other than a bump in horsepower and torque, I do not know of any other differences in the drive train between the two model years. At 70mph, I'm only at 2000 rpm. Are you sure your 4runner is in overdrive??
    The 2005 V8 is supposed to be a 5 speed auto transmission, but I have not found an overdrive button. I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 that has an overdrive button so I do know what you are talking about. Where is your overdrive button?

Thanks,

GBL
  • tradscotttradscott Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 V6. It does not have an overdrive button. Overdrive is simply a gear with a 1:1 drive ratio through the transmission. I'm assuming your dash and gear selector is the same as in the V6. If so, just look at the dash and make sure that the little light that says D (if I remember correctly) is lit. If you have any of the other lights -- 4, 3, 2, or 1 -- lit, then you have shifted into one of these gears. I'd guess that you have shifted into 4th gear.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Posts: 127
    The grinding sound is the ABS system. It is used by the traction control system to keep the wheels from spinning. It helps in some situations, and hurts in others (sand especially). If you are in REALLY loose stuff like mud/deep-snow/sand then lock the diff (that X button) and all your traction control systems will be turned off. This will prevent the system from throttling down and breaking your momentum in situations where momentum is key (ie: sand). As noted above DO NOT lock the diff on dry pavement.

BTW, don't listen to your dealer... I've offroaded in this thing many times. Works fine for me. If it was just a grocery getter, it wouldn't be a ladder frame.

There are so many grocery getters that are available that it discusts me to see that serious truck lovers have little option anymore. I have an '03 sport and I'm so happy that I got it before the painted fenders and the stupid hack they call a third row seat. Get an explorer or a pilot if you want a third row. Sorry for the rant.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Posts: 213
    With the vehicle running and your foot on the brake, look at the gear shift. Notice that the 4th and 5th gear settings are selected simply by toggling the gear shift "horizontally" either to the left (4th gear), or to the right (5th gear or Overdrive). On the other hand, lower gears (3rd, 2nd, and 1st gear) are selected by moving the gear shift "vertically", right?

Automatic transmission vehicles which have steering-column mounted shift levers (such as the Ford Explorer), typically have the Overdrive on/off switch or button located at the tip of the shift lever. Earlier 4Runners with center-console mounted gear-shifts had the OD button mounted on the left side of the gear-shift grip. The new 4Runners (as noted above) don't have a "button" for OD on/off. Instead, they employ the leftright "toggling" mechanism described above.

I'm quite happy with the toggling design in my '03 4Runner Limited-- I often drive with my right hand holding the shifter, and it's so effortless and ergonomic to be able to toggle back and forth between OD and 4th gear with just a slight motion of my right hand. That said, one drawback to this design is how easily a front passenger (especially children or a pet) could easily knock the gear-shift from right to left, accidentally sending you from 5th gear into 4th gear. Then again, pets should not be allowed in the front cabin, nor should small children.

When riding with an older child or an adult sitting in the front passenger seat, their left knee or hand are most likely to bump the shifter from right to left. If a front passenger unbuckles, turns around and kneals on the front seat in order to reach into the back seat area, this is another opportunity for the gear-shift to be accidentally bumped from OD to 4th gear, or v v.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    Post 10655 pretty much explains it. I should have been more specific in my response....I did not mean that there is a button for overdrive....only that your gear selector should be in the highest gear while driving on the highway (this is the overdrive gear, but there is no specific button to press to be in this gear). If you are sure that you are in the highest gear, both by on dash display and looking at the gear selector, and you are still at 3000 rpms at 70mph....I think it is time to take it in to the dealership.....your gas mileage must really be suffering as well. Good luck, and sorry for any confusion!!
    My wife and I both sat down in the 4Runner yesterday and figured out that the shifter toggles back and forth between 4 and D. What a world of difference it makes. Thanks for all the feedback.

GBL
  • godsgirlgodsgirl Posts: 1
    I will be purchasing a 4-Runner (05) 2 wd Limited next month, but am debating between the V6 and V8. I test drove both models about a month ago (at two different times), and only noticed a slight noice difference on excelleration. I would like to tow a small travel trailer or tent trailer, but wasn't sure what everyone's experience with or advice is on V6 vs. V8. The dealer told me to expect ~$1000 difference in price. Any problems with either model that I should be aware of or anticipating?? Thanks for any help :)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I have the 2003 V6 4wd, but if you are towing anything I'd recommend the V8. The V6 will do the job, but the V8 will leave nothing to risk.
  • themanqthemanq Posts: 10
    Has anyone compared performance between the 2 V8 engines?
  • jqbombjqbomb Posts: 1
    I installed the ipod2car about 2 months ago. I think it's great. Installation was pretty easy, and the ipod2car box fit right behind the stereo in the dash. I snaked the cable behind the AC controls and out of the underside of the dash near the gas pedal and hold my ipod in a swiveling proclip holder mounted in the ac duct on to the right of the radio. Gimme your email and I'll send you pic if you want.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 V8 4WD with 4,000 miles on it. It has developed a leak at the Pinion Seal (per Toyota Dealer). According to them this is not under pressure and I can keep driving it till they obtain the part.

Questions: Is this going to create a long term problem? and 2.) What would cause this to go. 3.) I was told by an aftermarket differential shop that there are several ways to repair this leak, and the correct way is a lenghty process - not sure how the dealer will approach it.
  • This vehicle should still be under warrantee. Correct it now so they don't tell you later that it's not going to be covered under warrantee.
  • Does anyone know exactly what type skid plates are mounted on the 4Runner? Gas tank? Radiator? Oil pan? Transfer case? Thanks Charlie