Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• My many thanks. Again. Grazie.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Wondering how the '05 4-Runner owners like their truck, overall. I am thinking about trading out our '00 Expy for something more managable (I know the gas mileage won't be much better). In particular, does anyone tow with theirs; and how does the rear suspension handle avg. tounge weights (200 lbs). My past experience with mid-size SUV ('97 Explorer V8) was that while the rated tow capacity may be more than you need (I tow a boat about 3000# loaded), the rear suspension, with a load of people and gear, is often not adequate and results in rear-end squat unless you install air-lifts or other type helpers. Our full-size Expy has great tow attributes but the usual Ford repair issues are starting to surface and this will probably be our last Ford. I did notice on the "Problems & Solutions" posts for the 4-Runner the new ones seem to have some quality issues as well, any input on that would be valuable as well. I've never owned a Toyota but have had 3 Honda's and now a Mazda, all with excellent reliability and build quality. I've driven the Pilot but being car-based I really don't think it's stout enough to be a great tow vehicle, regardless of what Honda specs say. Any input much appreciated! :)
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    Hi. I don't tow and I own a 2003 model, but I can offer one piece of info. Owners in past posts have stated that the Limited with the Rear Height Control Air Suspension (V8 models) will prevent the rear-end squat you mentioned. Plus, I recommend a V8 to anyone towing. The V6 is plenty powerful, but the V8 won't have to work as hard, and won't leave you with the woulda, shoulda, coulda done this or that result. Of course you'll have to spend the big $ to get it. By the way, you'll like a Toyota. In so many words or less, it won't squat with the air suspension.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    These are generally great trucks. Good choice to get the manual! I will bet you have heard about it before now, but Toyota had an extended TSB on these years (you can check with Toyota to see if your son's is one of the affected trucks - they will need the VIN) for the head gasket. You want to make sure that if yours is one of the affected ones, that it has been done or gets done now.

As for parts, if I am buying new, I just go to the local dealer, but more often I buy from a recycler called TAP Recycling - you can check their website.

As for the weird sound, what does it sound like and what exactly are the conditions under which it occurs?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Went to look at the 05 Limited today. I asked if a trans oil cooler was standard because It it not an option (no towing package). The salesman didn't know & I couldn't find it on the radiator. Does anyone know if it is standard.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Posts: 88
    If you still want a mask to protect the hood, 3M makes a product that is clear and sticks to the front of your vehicle. The product adheres to the surface, so there is no space for water to collect and create problems. The only tricky part is sticking the product to the hood. If this is not done right, the hood will look like there is saran wrap on the front.
  • jeff193jeff193 Posts: 29
    I am begining to get reallly sad i bought the V8. the 60$ tank fulls...and I have no idea why but i am only getting 13.5mpg at best on the tankfuls. Mostly city driving. but im not flooring it and im not stopped at traffic lights for 20 minutes.

Any help please
  • sauriasauria Posts: 12
    GBL, I have the Michelins and have 8" on minum ground clearance. I'll check my rpms but I think they are lower -- sure you are in O/D? I have the 2005 SR5 V-8
  • foreman1063foreman1063 Posts: 17
    Thanks for the response. I actually had my local dealer check it out before I purchased and they verified that the the TSB had been completed in 02 but thanks for the heads up anyhow. The noise in the front end occurs when I crank the wheel hard to either side, while parking. It's not the power steering pump but other than that I really can't describe the noise. Thanks for the info on TAP recycling, I'll be sure to check them out.
    John
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    This may be too simple but I'll throw it in: I've been upping the tire air pressure in my Expy (plus K&N air filter) and have got it up to 15.5 mpg. Am going to try 40 psi this week (running 35 now); the tires will handle it no problem. 13.5 mpg is low if it's a newer V8 (you didn't mention year)- have you checked tire pressure?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    how funny! Two different people over in 4Runner Problems and Solutions had recently noticed the same problem you have! It is very common with older 4Runners, and is not really a problem.

I posted a link which explains it and also gives you a way to fix it if you care enough to take the time:

nippononly, "Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions" #916, 1 May 2005 9:25 pm

That is the post that has the link. Basically you don't need to worry about it unless you want everything to be picture-perfect. It can be an irritating noise but isn't damaging anything. There is a section in there addressed to countchocula that explains about the steering stops, that is the one you want.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• foreman1063foreman1063 Posts: 17
    Thanks for the link nippononly. I'll be sure to grease my steering stops next oil change. I'll check in next time I have any questions or comments. Thanks again, John . Btw, this is a good site for oem parts @ great prices. http://alloemautoparts.com/
  • I took a 350 mile drive lately and computed my gas mileage for a V6 2005 4 runner ... in two wheel drive... up and down steep hills and on the freeway, through towns, etc. 21.8 mpg calculating gas consumed by the pump infill... after the 350 miles. The guage on my dash said 22mpg. average.

I think using 93 octane which I did vs. 91 octane gas might make a difference in mileage.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I get around 18-19 on the highway in my 4WD V8. I usually drive around 70 mph. My combined highway/suburban commute (some of it stop-and-go) is around 17.5 mph. Those numbers are calculated by dividing gallons put in the tank by miles driven.

I typically find that the computer in the dash is 1-2 mpg optimistic. YMMV.
  • fishtookfishtook Posts: 17
    Any "Sport Edition" owners care to comment how the ride is ?? Is it bumpy vs
    LTD ??
  • slarryslarry Posts: 19
    Mine is exactly the same for my V-8, 17.5 MPG, with the same conditions as yours.
    Couple of clarifications. Your formula was reversed, it's miles driven divided by gallons put in tank.... and I believe you meant MPG. I still don't think that mileage is bad. Surely when people bought a 4R within the past 6-months they never thought gas would be going down. Remember when it was a 1.50 not too very long ago and we got use to it. We have to do the same when it's over 2.50 a gallon, cause that will even seem cheap if it goes to 3 bucks. It's not going to get cheaper, it may stabilize a bit, but then go back up even higher. Trading your 4R in would cost you lots of $$$$ and you wouldn't make that up in the fuel economy you get from a compact car, plus you'd be miserable without your
    4 runner :) .
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Posts: 88
    I have an 03 v8 sport edition. I would not consider the ride bumpy. The suspension is stiff, but I like that kind of ride. I find that you have better feel for the road if the suspension is stiff. I have not driven the LTD version, so I cannot comment.
    I have the XREAS suspension, which makes cornering a breeze, i.e. very little body roll.
  • pdxorepdxore Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when Toyota plans to introduce the 4Runner Hybrid? I am shopping, but wouldn't mind waiting a year if they will be brought out in the fall of 06.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    Toyota currently does not have plans for a 4runner hybrid. Hybrids usually take a couple of years to get to market once it has been decided to develop. I think you will be waiting awhile.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 V8 4wd and get between 17.9 and 18.2 MPG. (I top off as I get almost 3 extra gallons in and drive 130 miles a day). I have almost ideal highway driving conditions with less than 2 miles of surface streets before I get on the freeway (total both directions).

I typically drive at 75 MPH or so and tank ave speed is 56 MPH. I start at sea level and climb to 1500 ft and then return home. So I guess unless I slow down this is the best it will get. 6000 miles so far. I think its great for the comfortable ride and the really smooth and effortless power.

This SUV replaced a very reliable Isuzu Rodeo (1994) that also gave about the same mileage with a noisy rough ride.

I hope to enjoy it until the Hybrid version is delivered to the market.