Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• ejseslejsesl Posts: 1
    Am interested in anyone's experience with Toyota Dealers in Central Mass? Thanks
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    There's talk on the outdoorwire board about the GX 470 being the next 4Runner...one person said they spoke to a spokesperson who said it would be the next 4Runner...looking at the pictures though, I noticed the power rear window is not on the GX 470...does that mean the retracting rear window is gone???
  • jmp6jmp6 Posts: 1
    Has anyone thought of the possibility of Toyota putting out two new sport-utes? One would be a downmarket, Xterra-class vehicle based on the Tacoma (maybe out soon - like March), with the new 4Runner being larger and based on the GX470 (out next fall or after). I know it seems like a lot of different vehicles, but Toyota may phase out the Landcruiser in the next couple of years, and with a GX470 sized 4Runner, your getting pretty close to Land Cruiser size.
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    The current 4Runner is based on the Tacoma platform. (The original 4Runners were the Toyota pickup with a top on the bed and a bench seat inside.) The next level up is the Sequoia, and there isn't much of a gap (pricewise) between them. After that it's the Landcruiser.

I have always been told that the Landcruiser will always remain the Landcruiser, and that the reason is a sentimental one. It's not cost effective to build, but Toyota keeps it going because it was the reason that they were able to get a toe-hold in the US market to begin with. You won't see it heavily promoted, but it will remain in the line up.

I have seen a Toyota Motor Sales video, presented by the Executive Vice President of sales of Toyota (not a dealership), who said that it would be released for the 2004 model year (which starts in the fall of 2003). I want a new one too, and I'd like to see it in this fall's lineup. But since it's not on the Toyota web site and no one can find out anything about it, I just have my doubts that it will be released this year. I don't know, I'm just a schlub. I guess that we'll have to wait and see. But if you will remember, the Lexus RX300 came out a year before the Highlander. This seems to me to be the same thing with the GX470. I just think it's going to go down the same way. Get the rich Lexus buyers first, then get the rest of them with the Toyota follow up ;-)

As for taking a chance on a new model year, I'm not worried about that. My '89 pickup was one of those and I still have it; original clutch, freon, and most everything else. It's been an excellent vehicle. I've driven it almost everyday since I bought it. When the new 'Runner is out, I'm in line :-) this year or next.
  • The 2003 4 Runner will be a complete re-design and it will be out in March. You will not find this info on their web site, as they still have 2002s to sell. Toyota, also, wants to release the 4 runner before the Honda Pilot comes out. I don't think that the Highlander has been as successful as Toyota had hoped. Also, expect Toyota to keep prices down on the 4 runner to compete with the new Honda.
  • New 4Runner in March??? I sure hope you are right........it would make me happy! I just don't see it happening, but my fingers are crossed!!!
  • There is no way that the new runner will be out in March. If that was the case, it would already be heading to our shores.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I remain hopeful that you are correct about March, but I remain curious as to your source for this information. If this is true, Toyota will be allocating them the first week of February so I guess we don't have long to wait to see if you are correct.
  • They will start appearing on dealer lots the last week of March.....It will be several months before supply is good. Expect options of V8 and a third seat.
    I'm beginning to think you could be a troll. I'll ask you again to tell us whence your information comes. I'd like to believe you, but it goes against what I have heard from our distribution folks.
  • Why are you calling me names? I am just trying to pass along information I have from a very good and trusted source. If you choose to believe that the 4 Runner won't be re-designed until 2004, then fine. I have shared the correct information.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    The response from buzzlight was kind of a non answer, was it not? Hmmm.....
    I'm not calling names. You continue to raise suspicion because you have not established any credibility for your claims. Simply repeating a statement does not make it so. I realize that here on the Internet, anybody can claim anything they want, but over time, one can generally figure out if a person is on the level. You have not identified yourself as connected with Toyota, either at the corporate or dealer level.

Keep in mind, that I am not ruling out what you have said. If you have some inside information that is not currently available at the dealer level, I'm happy to hear it. If you were to provide some specifics, it will build your credibility. If I get one allocated in two weeks, you'll have a ton of credibility. Until then, I have some suspicions about you.
  • dbh990dbh990 Posts: 2
    I will be picking up my new 4 Runner on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I have a 2000 Camry XLE and a 1992 Camry LE. I bought both new and now a 4WD 'cause we are moving to New Hampshire. Hope I enjoy the 4 Runner as much as the rest of my Toyota's over the years. Oh, getting SR5 with Sport Package, 4WD, Auto, Moon Roof, Rack, hitch, running boards. I guess all but Leather which I did not want. Got it for Invoice + $100.00 at Kissimmee Toyota in Kissimmee, FL. $32k TTT OTD....... Good/bad ?????
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    Well, I've named my resource, and he had a video, and it was seen by over 400 people at the presentation. Before the Camry came out there were tons of 'leaks' on the internet. I've not seen one single picture of the redesigned 4Runner anywhere but in this video. I say it isn't going to happen this year. Whatever your source is Buzz, at least name the information of the source, like dealership or corporate. I mean, if an EVP of Toyota Sales says 2003, who could say anything different. I'll believe it's coming in the next six months when I see some more information, any information.

As far as having previous year models to sell, when did that ever stop a car manufacturer from releasing information about an updated model?
  • I think you are making up the whole thing!!! If not, what was the name of the EVP giving the presentation?
  • I have also heard that the new truck will be out this year. This comes from a friend of mine who works at Southeastern Toyota (distributors). His sources tell him anywhere from March to June, but he thinks June is more likely.
  • And if comes out in June, July or Aug...so be it. Unless, you really need one because your lease is coming up. Buzz, I hope it does come out in March, I would like to see what it looks like.

I know I should probably ask this in another forum, but what type of wax seems to be working best for you? I just bought a 02 Thunder Cloud so I guess I should get the 1st wax done as soon as possible. I used Meguires on my previous vehicle, but I felt the wax seemed to wear off quickly, and I used a car wash soap during washings. Maybe I wasn't putting enough of the Mequires on or possiblely using it during the wrong conditions. I'm not trying to knock the Mequires..I just may use it again.

thanks...
  • jasanjasan Posts: 12
    Ejsesl,
    I bought my 4 Runner at Herb Chambers, the experience was fairly pleasant. However, when I asked the salesman and the service personnel some questions about a steering wheel shimmy when hitting bumps they told me it was normal, they could not provide any information as to why. I made a trip to 495 Toyota, the salesman I spoke with was extremely knowledgeable and provided me with the answers to my questions (see previous postings). There was another thing I liked about this dealership, while walking around the lot I was left alone, there is nothing worse than pulling into a dealership and having a salesperson stalking you. The downside to 495 is their lack of inventory, it's a small dealership. There's a dealership on route 9 in Northborough (I think it's Northborough), I don't have any experience with them but they have a very large selection. I hope this information is of some value to you.
    "As far as having previous year models to sell, when did that ever stop a car manufacturer from releasing information about an updated model? "

This is actually a typical Toyota thing. When we have a new product coming out, and it will detract from current sales, they get VERY stingy with information. The 2002 Camry is a good example of this. It wasn't until 3 to 4 weeks before its release that we had anything official from Toyota about the new one. OTOH, there was plenty of information on the Tundra prior to its release because we had been bled dry of the T100 months in advance.

Buzz could be right. I'm not ruling it out. I don't consider a March release likely based on what the owner here has heard from Toyota and based on the lack of hints from my district manager, but it is possible.