Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Power is exactly the same, they are just using a different method to measure (rate) it.
  • I went to the dealership yesterday to get my first look at a 2006 model. I was very surprised, but I think I like the 2005 better. The lights seemed bludged out as well as the grill. The 2006 model was a sport, the tubular rails are cool, but I think the old rails look more smooth. The grill was chrome and it was huge. LED tail lights were cool, but the projection head lights did not impress me. Will they work better at night, b/c I have a hard time seeing, they didn't seem very bright? I think that the 2005 models look more refined vs. aggressive for 2006. I will really miss the ipod connection and thicker glass, but I found a new 2005 for the price of a used 2005.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    As biglatka posted, there is no difference in the engine between 2005 and 2006. What changed is that the SAE changed the way horsepower ratings are determined. The horsepower rating of the engine is less using the 2006 methodology than it was using the 2005 methodology. But the engine itself is unchanged.
  • How does the Ipod connection work? Does it charge the ipod, do you need to buy a cord to connect it? If so what cord? Does it play on it's own setting on the stereo or is transmitted to the radio??
  • "are we to believe (as the Toyota rep was trying to convince me) that the V6 doesn't provide enough power for towing or "serious" offroading? "

Well that's totally crap. Some of the best offroading vehicles on the planet are '85 yotas with a 4 banger in it. He doesn't know anything about serious offroading. Engine has little to do with it. Lockers, proper gearing, and good transfer case has *much* more to do with it.
  • Once you are in low range, the V6 provides tons of torque, especially since it is always mated to an automatic.

In low range, it is hard to imagine the slightly more powerful 8 having any noticable advantage.

Now, if you had 35 inch swamp tires on and you're going mud bogging, that might be a different story, but don't worry 35s won't fit on a runner without major modification. A 3 inch lift and minor modifications (cutting) will only get you to a 33.

I wish Toyota had given us a little more ground clearance and slightly larger wheel wells.
  • It is a BS statement on the towing front also. The towing rating on the V6 is 5000 lbs. As long as you're under that it'll do fine.

You might have to drive up the 6% grade on I70 at 55 mph instead of the 62 you could do with the V8 since it makes a whopping 12% more power. People need to realize it isn't safe to pull their huge horse trailers at 85 mph down the interstae anyway.

If I were dragging something around heavier than 5000 lbs, I'd be more worried that the 4Runner isn't heavy enough and doesn't have a long enough wheel base to handle well with the load. Braking and turning are more important than top speed.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I tow a 21.5 foot trailer at approx. 5,000 pounds w/ an '05 4Runner with the V8. It handles fine. It is properly equipped for towing. I wouldn't recommend going much longer.
  • audreymaudreym Posts: 103
    I am dying to know this also. We went and looked at an '06 ltd tonight (after having my mind made up on a Lexus RX) and we were pretty impressed, but I could not find where they hid the aux port! The sales guy didn't know, and I didn't want to tear the console apart then & there. I guess once you pack your CDs in mothballs in favor of digital music, there is no going back!
  • burner7burner7 Posts: 17
    Hey, I just found the aux port in my 4runner. It's inside the center console armrest,below where you can put your change in. It's not very visible, but it's there. I'm going to get the connector cable to test out my ipod tomorrow.
  • I haven't heard anyone mention the fact that the "sport" now comes with power seats std. Until now I think only the LTD's came this way. Am I correct? :confuse:
  • Hi. I was just reading your post and wanted to tell you something. I have a 2003 4Runner which I bought new. It's completely loaded - Navigation, Air-ride suspension, etc. However, I too noticed that the headlights were only truly effective when I switched on the fog lights. I had wished that Toyota had put xenon lights in but they didn't. Therefore, I went to "proxenon.com" and ordered an HID kit for it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! It's made all the difference. However, the only reason I did it is because the truck has an autoleveling suspension. Otherwise, you'll blind oncoming traffic.

Lastly I just outfitted it with an aftermarket bluetooth setup...doesn't it figure that the 2006 has it built in? Doesn't it also figure that they finally put voice-activated navigation in it? lol

- Chris Ducharme
    Rhode Island
  • I found the following post from last May. I have not received anything in the mail from Toyota nor have I been able to find anything searching the internet/recalls. I have a 2001.
    Does anyone know the skinny on this ?
    thx
    #2165 of 2171 4Runner Recall by transpower May 18, 2005 (11:24 am)
    | E-mail Msg
    Tsk, tsk, a 4Runner Recall: 2001-2002 4Runners (along with other Toyota models) have been recalled to fix potential steering/suspension problems. See p. D4 of today's Wall Street Journal
  • I have found that 'transpowers' post about the Recall for potential steering/suspension problems is not a recall but there is a TSB.
  • vurvur Posts: 1
    I am sorry for posting it, since I couldn't find a definitive answer on this or other forums (I guess I am not the first one who asked this question).

I have Toyota 4runner V6 4WD year 2000 with ~92K miles. I have heard that starting from certain year 4Runners doesn't need a 90K timing belt change.

Is it true ?

Thanks a lot for your help
  • goltgogoltgo Posts: 54
    I can't speak to the 2001 model, but I did get a recall notice (#50-N) for "steering relay rod replacement" on my 1995 4Runner. It's going in tomorrow. Since your Runner is a different generation, this probably doesn't apply, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • I am currently waiting to buy a 2006 V8 SE 4Runner. I am also a muli-ti era military veteran. I have tested the dealer waters here in Pennsylvania to see if any of them would provide any kind of military discount ( college grads get one, and have never been shot at) some gave me the song and dance that they could, however, Toyota does not have such a discount. Are there any other veterans in this forum who have any experience in obtaining any kind of military discount from dealers or Toyota?
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 V8 Limited 4x4 that I just got about 2 weeks ago (I love it so far!). I have only put 130 miles on it though so I haven't had to put any gas in it yet.

I was wondering though what do most people use in their 2005 V8's? I know the manual says 87 is fine, but 91 will get better performance. I would be really interested to know if there was someone using 91 or 89 and swiched to 87 when gas prices skyrocketed. Do you notice any degradation in power and mileage, and if so, how much?

Just trying to figure out when I fill up if it is worth it to go premium or stick with regular unleaded. Thanks!
  • mstemmstem Posts: 113
    gurgs24, I have a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner Limited V-8 which I have owned since purchasing it new in December 2003. It's used for daily commuting, a few trips a year and some horse-trailer towing in the summer months. I have routinely used 91 octane but lately (due to those gas price increases you mentioned!) have been using regular 87. I can't say I notice any difference at all, to tell you the truth. The engine seems to accomodate it just fine and doesn't complain. When towing, I try to always put the mid-level or premium grade in, but again I am not sure that it really matters much. It is a fantastic vehicle and seems to adapt to any situation. My wife liked it so much she sold her Highlander, took over the 4-Runner and I just purchased a new Avalon. I miss the 4-Runner and try to drive it every chance I can on the week-ends! :)

Mike
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I haven't noticed any difference. But I've been driving more gently lately. With more gentle acceleration and driving 65 mph on the highway instead of 75 mph, my gas mileage is approaching 19 mpg.