Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Thanks ponytrekker.
  • 99 4-Runner - on occasion, while sitting at a light or stop sign, completely stopped, it feels like someone has rear ended the car. Not enough to move the car forward, but we have felt that we were certainly hit from behind. Called dealer, they have never had a complaint like this. It doesn't happen often so they can't replicate it. Anyone elde have this problem? Only 68,000 miles. Thanks.
  • There has been some discussion of this issue before. What has been discussed is that either when coming to a complete stop or when the brake is released afterh having come to a stop there is a thud in the driveline. This issue appears to affect the newer V8 4Runners that are in four wheel drive all the time. The solution (at least for me) has been to have the dealer lubricate the slip yoke. Maybe you can provide a little better description so that we can try and determine whether your problem is the same. However, I would suggest trying the above to see if it makes a difference!
  • i am trying to decide between 4 runner and honda pilot. presently in ny city but moving to north maine which would be better? should i buy in ny or in maine ? thanks for yr help.
  • I just went through the same Pilot vs 4Runner decision. After driving both, the solid quality of the 4Runner won me over hands down. Another factor was the number of complaints in the Pilot forum about rattles, vibration and road noise. The new Pilot I test drove had all of these.
    I've never heard a single rattle in my 4Runner and it's very solid on the highway. However, if you need a people-hauler, the Pilot is the better choice. The third row seats in the 4Runner are a poor after thought. I didn't need the third row so that didn't play into my choice.

As far as which is best in Maine, I can't comment since I live in Colorado but the 4Runner seems very sure footed in the mountain snows we have here.

My only complaint about the 4Runner is a bit of gear whine on deceleration. Other than that, it's been perfect.
    Good luck on your decision!
  • I had two freeze plugs replaced 3 months ago. I needed water in radiator 1 month later. Thot maybe mechanic forgot. 3 weeks ago NO WATER! Today almost no water. I/we cannot see where the water is leaking. We see no leaks.
    Please...HELP ME!
    Toyota 4Runner-1995. Good lil' running car otherwise.
  • You may want to check the tax situation in Maine before purchasing a new vehicle. They have some weird formulas for paying taxes on a vehicle 7-years into ownership.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I just got me a beauty 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather ... oh what a comfortable ride and quality and luxury and ... I can go on and on... go for the 4Runner.

Keep up the good work TOYOTA with your toys :)

Good luck...

P.S.
    I used to have a 2005 Odyssey and got rid of it after 1 year of issues/problems... I was not happy at all with it and the quality was cheap plastic, never ever again HONDA, so I traded in for a 2006 Sienna Limited FWD fully loaded and I have no issue ever since...
  • While we love my wife's new 4Runner, the 4th 4Runner she has had, we can't help but believe that Toyota really blew the interior lighting design. When you open the driver's or front passenger's doors there is no front seat interior lighting that comes on automatically. The dome light behind the sunroof is so far back the front seatbacks shadow the interior. You can reach in and manually turn on the map lights to find gloves, cell phone or whatever, but why in the world didn't Toyota wire the map lights into the courtesy light circuit. Our dealership service manager acknowledged the problem and suggested we might find someone somewhere who could do such a thing, but for such a well-designed vehicle, it is surprising how poorly this design element was executed. What on earth were they thinking???
  • Anyone hear anything about when the factory satellite radio kits will be available for the 2006 4Runners??
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I've got 40,000+ miles on my 2003. I have to say that the interior lighting has never bothered me. If I need more light, I just reach up and hit the map light. That takes all of 1-2 seconds. When I'm done, I reach up and turn it off. That takes another 1-2 seconds. It's quite a physical strain, but somehow I manage ;)
  • I'm currently having to rebuild my engine in my 95 4runner due to the same problem your discribing, I kept losing water and the truck would overheat. I had a small leak in the #6 cylinder of the head gasket, it was small enough that I was losing water through the exhaust and didn't notice because it would burn off as it passed through the muffler system. Have you noticed more water than normal under your tailpipe when you crank up after setting for a while? if so you might be having the same problem I had.
  • Just drove my 2005 V6 Limited to Mexico and back from New York. 8,500 miles on really terrible, terrible Mexican roads off the "autopistas" (the super highways).

Not a pause in carburation, a bobble,nor a rattle during the whole trip. I have simply never had a car this good.... and I've driven al over east Africa (Ethiopia)and the Middle East across Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan.

My only criticism is an ongoing one about the flat panel display being mostly unreadable in daylight.

On those awaul mountain roads.... I never believed I'd find a tire warning gauge a huge plus.

The heating worked fantastically as did the air-conditioning when needed ... 90 degrees on the Pacific coast day after day!

.... and when you need it.... when a Mexican 16 wheeler is about to smash you like a bug on their windscreen .... there is that fantastic engine that just turns this car into a rocket ship.

Amazing.

.... nobody in the US uses these cars up to their potential, or very few people. They are incredibly engineered. Five stars!

Best to you,
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    Great trip report. And you got back to NY just in time to enjoy some snow. :D

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I just bought this awesome SUV 4 months ago with almost
    3k miles on it. However, I am only getting 15.5mpg and the
    posted mileage per owner manual is at least 16 to 19.
    Is this supposed to get better by aging? Is there any one
    having the same problem.
  • robg4robg4 Posts: 32
    My 06 SR5 is getting around 20 in town. About 22 on the hwy.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I got a beauty Shadow Mica 2006 4WD LTD V8 with less than 600 miles and I am getting between 17-18 miles mixed driving. I have no doubt that after 5-10k miles I will be getting close to 20 MPG. The first 1000 miles are the most critical to any vehicle.
  • 2005 SE V8 4WD with 3500 miles. Approximately 18-19 mix driving, and about 20-21 hwy.
  • that the 4 Runner will introduce a manual?? :shades: ..
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    The gas mileage you experience is greatly dependent upon how you drive. If you drive in stop and go traffic and if you accelerate quickly you'll find that your mileage will be significantly worse. Accelerate gently. Avoid stop and go traffic when possible. On the highway, slow down below 65 mph and use the cruise control.

You should realize that the EPA ratings indicate how the vehicle performed in two very unrealistic government tests. The ratings are best used to compare different vehicles, not as a guage of what mileage you will actually see. That is, if vehicle 1 is rated 15/19 and vehicle 2 is rated 20/26, then you'll likely see better actual mileage in vehicle 2. It doesn't necessarly mean that if you buy vehicle 1 your mileage will be between 15 and 19 mpg. That's why they say "Your mileage may vary."