Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• udsavudsav Posts: 11
    Anyone see a problem with towning a 10X16 uhaul trailor with a 05 4-runner V6 2wd? they say full it is 3500 lbs
  • rollie3rollie3 Posts: 13
    I have 03' Sport V6 which by far has been best of my three 4-Runners. However, recently it has developed a hissing sound [like letting air out of balloon] from right front dash. It is off and on but mostly on. It is not effected by either the heater or fan being off. Same for radio being off or all other gadgets. It stops when car is turned completely off but stars again when key is turned on but motor not started. Anyone have any ideas what noise might be coming from???
  • lkklkk Posts: 2
    I have a manual 5 speed 4 wheel drive 1999 toyota 4 runner. I want to tow it behind my motorhome. Do I have to do anything special to tow this car?
    lk
  • dedheddedhed Posts: 6
    I have been "trusting" the computer....
    Perhaps this is not a wise choice.....
    ... though this is the first that I have heard this claim of a skewed computer?????
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "though this is the first that I have heard this claim of a skewed computer" Don't trust me, or the computer. It's very easy to compute. Next time you fill up, reset the mileage computer and your trip odo. The time after that, note the mileage, gallons used to fill the tank, do the division and double check the computer.

The computer on my 03 V8 4Runner is 1-2 mpg optimistic. The same was true of my 2000 VW GTI GLX.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    Ok, today my 2005 V8 just died while driving. Luckily I was on a quiet street 2 miles from my house, and was able to coast to the curb. Dealer flatbedded it and called me to say "Yep. It's broke" and they hope to look at it next week.

Wow, with this kind of reliability, I am going to run, not walk to the BMW dealer and get a CPO 5 series next week.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Posts: 88
    Once the diagnosis is completed, can you please tell the rest of us what went wrong? I own a 2003 4-Runner with the V8 and am interested in finding out what went wrong.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    What was wrong with your 2005 4Runner V8? Was it anything serious?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    Unfortunately, dealer still has no clue. first (after 2 days) they said fuse box, which an 8-year old would know isn't the problem as I had full accessory power.

Second, they said computer, which they need to order as it takes over a week.

They have offered me a loaner but I am starting to initiate a lemon law claim, just in case.

BMW never took more than 2 days to fix anything I ever had go wrong with the car.
  • jocko3jocko3 Posts: 1
    We are considering 06 4runner with navigation. We are interested in feedback from those that own the systems. Are they the same systems that are in the Lexus RX?
  • 2001 4runner with 100,000. Have had these lights on for months with the check engine light also. Finally decided to have Toyo Dealer check it out. $75 for a computer check and Im now told I need a $400 charcoal cannister while others seem to be told they need a few dollar 02 sensor.
  • mminkousmminkous Posts: 6
    4runner nav system is much less user-friendly than, say, the honda/acura ones, in my opinion. for example, you can't input practically nothing while the vehicle is moving. while i can see that this is a safety feature to prevent absent-minded drivers to cause accidents on the road, toyota seems to forget that the passenger seat may not always be empty and there can always be someone else in the car who can safely fiddle with the knobs and buttons. the other disappointing fact is that if you opt to "upgrade" to navi, you practically have to downgrade from a possible 6-CD in dash to a single-disc in-dash. the navi interface is basically the same for the rx.
  • moto7moto7 Posts: 13
    Since the 07 Camry and pickup has been exposed, has anyone heard any rumors about the 2007 4 Runner - info or announce date?? I'm set to buy an 06 Sport, but wonder if I should wait.
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    It should not change appreciably. It is still too early in the cycle (4th generation), and they did a major cosmetic change in 2006. I would not wait for the 2007 models, especially if you could take advantage of the end-of-the-year sales and higher cost of fuel impacting SUV sales. My best bet for the 5th generation would be the 2009 year model, maybe 2008 but less likely. I have a 2005 4WD V8 SE and am very happy with it. July and August should be the best months to buy.
    Thanks for the reply biglatka. Good reasonable advise, so I'll be looking for a deal on a 2006. Besides, I'm too anxious to wait anyway, since my old 93 Explorer has lost its appeal (but has been a great, dependable truck).
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Posts: 438
    So why not another explorer, then? What brings you to the dark side? ;)
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I agree with biglatka. Given the refresh for the 2006 model year, I doubt there will be much change for 2007.
    Wanted something a little smaller with a (little) better MPG. The newer Explorers "look"
    big - hard to tell from the Expeditions. Would go with a Highlander, but need to tow a trailer and go on jeep roads (Colorado).
  • mathgirlmathgirl Posts: 4
    And take a look at my latest internet offer for an '06. I need help determining if it's a good deal!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,963

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.