Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bigjoe5bigjoe5 Posts: 2
    Basically a fully loaded SR5 with the hood scoop. Or a Limited depending on the deal.

Thanks,

Joe
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    Have you checked under the hood at the fuse box that's located over by the air filter??
  • dchyornydchyorny Posts: 47
    Yes I have. Nothing is really clear about the outlets. Also, just called my mechanic; He was clueless and this is the Toyota Dealership. One more thing, all the interior lights work. Aren't they all on the same fuse?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The cigarette lighter is on the same fuse as the radio. The more likely culprit is your cell phone charger. If you look inside the hole, you will see two prongs that provide tension and contact points. Use of a cell phone charger flattens these down. Every time you pull it out, it gets pushed back farther into its recesses until finally, it wont work at all.

Can you tell this has happened to me? The fix is to take a small metal hook (I used a fish hook that I bent with pliers) and pull those contact pieces out. Once I did that, the lighter and charger worked like new.
  • dchyornydchyorny Posts: 47
    Yes I have. Nothing is really clear about the outlets. Also, just called my mechanic; He was clueless and this is the Toyota Dealership. One more thing, all the interior lights work. Aren't they all on the same fuse?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    In my area a fully loaded SR5 sport edition (hood scoop) will run you around invoice $29,791 less rebate of $1500 or low financing, a Limited 4wd will go for around $34,879.00 less rebate or low financing.

: )

Mackabee
  • tilertiler Posts: 15
    It might be easier and cheaper to cover that black plastic with a wood or carbon kit.
    Does the outlet in the trunk area work??
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    Did you look in your owner's manual at the fuse configuration? My GMC manual has photos of both fuse boxes (dash side & under hood), and has all the fuses labeled. This was very helpful when my electronic 4WD shift stopped allowing me to change from 4Hi to 4Lo on a trail one time. I was able to change the fuse out a couple of times to get me through the trail, until I could take it in to be fixed under warranty. I would have never been able to figure out which fuse it was without pulling each one, if it wasn't for my owner's manual.

My wife had that same problem with the cell phone charger in her car, but it was due to what cliffy1 mentioned. I bent the prongs out to where they should have been, and it was fine again.
    Here's the latest from vixster, a Toyota insider on another forum:

"The SR5-V6 w/ the Sport Pkg. will be equipped as follows:
    P265/65R17 raised white letter tires, 17" alloy wheels, X-Reas suspension system, larger front disc brakes, Hood Scoop, silver painted roof-rack, metallic accents, color-keyed mirrors, sport badging, foglamps, automatic headlights, security system, garage door opener, tilt/telescopic leather steering wheel, two-tone sport seat fabric, power moonroof, 10 speaker JBL AM/FM/CD/CASS and rear seat audio, fender flares, auto-climate control, aux. rear heater, privacy glass, towing package w/hitch, multi-information display, power group and cruise control.

As you can see, there will be a long list of standard features on the new Runner, it's just too bad we won't get the new V6 'til late Dec."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY can't wait until September now!!! I'll take one in black, please... :^D
    I can't wait until the new ones come out...I just hope that they keep roughly the same exterior shape and don't go hog wild on making the vehicle rounded/etc....I have a 1999 SR5 that has been a beautiful rig,but, I want the V-8 power.
  • spfoteyspfotey Posts: 131
    Is it confirmed that there is NOT a third row seat??
  • md2002md2002 Posts: 142
    I wasn't planning on getting anything until December/January anyway so the V6 SR5/Sport works out. I liked the hood scoop on the current ones. Besides let the initial hype die down some to get a decent deal.
    I've heard it from numerous sources that there won't be a 3rd row seat option on the 4Runner, at least for it's introduction. Word is they're only offering it on the GX470, but I'm guessing they'll eventually offer it as an option or maybe standard on the Limited. Who knows, they may be planning to offer it on the Limited right away, but are keeping tight raps on the info. Time will tell...

Speaking of time, I'm with you, md2002. Waiting for the hype to die down is exactly what I'm doing before I purchase a '03. It's probably smart to wait for them to get any kinks or recalls out of their system with an all new platform too. Beside I want to drive the V6 to be sure I've made the best choice.
    I think you all are right about waiting and letting the hype die down (prices too). But, with the economy the way it is and the dealerships wanting business, I will drive the V-8 & V-6, make a decision and try to deal,but, if they are not willing to give good deals, then I will be patient. My 99 SR5 has 97,000 and has been just superb,but, I am hungry for more power and for the heated leather seats,so, I am biting at the bit to do a test drive on the 2003......
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    I had heard that the JBL was going to be offered in the new 4Runner. That's one area that I REALLY want to splurge on this time - a kick a** radio CD player. I rented an Avalon with the JBL in it and I've been missing it ever since. If it doesn't shake enough viscera I'm driving down to Circuit City for a bigger amp.

The automatic climate control is another option the Avalon had that I liked. None of that turn the air on, air off, air on, air off stuff. Set the temp at 72 and just listen to the JBL, cruising down the highway and pulling the Ranger on down to the lake....

Yep, that's what I'm dreaming about today. Can you tell I have a fishing trip coming up? 8 more days to zero hour :)
  • mtm13mtm13 Posts: 9
    Has anyone heard if the 03 will offer memory seats? -- at least on the Limited model hopefully. This is one area that I think Toyota completely overlooked on the current lineup of vehicles. You know they have the technology worked out because it is in all the Lexus vehicles and on the Avalon -- so why not on the SUV's that cost $30k-$40k? The LandCruiser and the Sequoia should both have it -- esp the Seq since it is a newer design. I would probably get the Seq if it had the memory seats in it, but I have always loved the look of the current 4Runner, it was just a little too cramped on the inside and was a little underpowered in my opinion.

In my perfect world the new 4Runner will be proportioned just right (little larger - not too big though), will still have the same aggressively styled look it always has had, get all the techno touches it should have -- like memory seats, wheel mounted audio controls etc, and the V8 will really move. I'll drive THAT truck until the wheels fall off.
    From what I hear, the GX470 has memory seats, which should carry down to the 4Runner. And I should certainly hope so, with all the competition out there that does offer that!

If this next generation 4Runner is everything I it seems to be (and I'm hoping for), I'm right there with you. I'll be driving this vehicle until the wheels fall off as well, which could be a very long time, given Toyota's track record. When this truck comes out, unless someone needs a huge hauler or a little run-about, I'm not sure why they'd look any further than the 4Runner or GX for their next SUV!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Posts: 801
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but will the '03 4Runner still be a truck-based rig with a separate ladder frame?
    Yesiree! It will indeed continue to be body on frame! Thank goodness Toyota understands and respects 4Runner and off-road loyalists. For more info, well the only info we have available about the platform of the new 4Runner so far, check out the article about the GX470 on http://www.suv.com. And be sure to check my posting above about the latest on what will be offered with the SR5 Sport Edition for the '03, from a Toyota insider.
    It must be a bummer to have to wait so long between fishing trips. FYI, I had my Ranger out on the Potomac yesterday like I do every Thursday. :D
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,709
    << I had my Ranger out on the Potomac yesterday like I do every Thursday. >>

Hmmm... Ford really does believe in "No Boundaries!"

;)

Bob
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    >It must be a bummer to have to wait so long between fishing trips

(heavy sigh) You don't know the half of it. Every day I pass by it sitting in the garage, gathering dust. But I'm all fired up about going to Minnesota in less than one week.
  • rdavis2710rdavis2710 Posts: 20
    Hello everyone!

I have been reading this board for 6 months now. About 2 weeks ago, after many test drives, research articles read, deliberations...I made the decision and bought a 2002 Toyota 4Runner Thunder Cloud Silver, Sport package!!!!!! The car came with everything, including the moonroof, rear heater, and heavy duty brakes. The sticker was $33,800. With the rebate, I paid $29K (did I get a good deal???). I have many questions for this board - and will be posting all of them!

My decision came down to the 4 runner and the Pathfinder. I really liked the additional horsepower on the pathfinder - but it came down to my wife saying to me - "aren't you going to be dissapointed if you don't get a Toyota?" We have a camry and it is rock solid.

I love the Toyota dealer - no pressure, and they seemed very honest.

Rick
    I appreciate if someone could help me out with some answers to these questions...

1. What makes the brakes on the new 2002 heavy duty? - Does anyone know the reliability of these new brakes? I should have asked the dealer...

2. When should I get the first oil change? Its free and the salesman said at about 2K - is that enought time to get the oil circulated?

Rick
    The front brakes have larger discs than are considered "normal." Since I've left the sales department, I forgot the exact size, but I believe they are 12.5" front discs. That is part of the alloy wheel package.

First oil change according to the book is at 5000, although I personally prefer 3000.
    Did I mention Ranger is a boat? I saw your post and said "Doh!"

Did you know that Toyota made and effort at boat building a couple of years ago? They made two inboard, stern drive ski boats. They had a marine modified version of the 4.0 liter V8 from the old LS400. The effort was a complete failure for a number of reasons. The primary one was the limited market for stern drive ski boats and limited distribution network.

If Toyota built a 225 HP outboard, I'd buy it in a minute. I hate Mercury.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,709
    I know, I was just pulling your leg. ;)

BTW, you could always buy a Honda outboard...

Speaking of Honda: Did you know that they just introduced a 3.5L V6 outboard, which is essentially a marine conversion of the MDX/Pilot/Odyessy engine? And that they also have a 2.3L 4-cylinder outboard which is a marine conversion of the Accord engine?

Here's the Honda Marine link:

http://www.honda-marine.com/hmframeset.htm

One version of the V6 Honda outboard does put out 225 HP.

Bob
    The Honda 4 stroke is nice but may not be the best thing for my purposes. Four stroke OB motors don't develop torque quickly enough for smaller "pad boats". They are great on off-shore boats, but if you need to jump onto plane VERY fast, a 2 stroke is still the way to go.

Honestly though, after all the trouble my Merc has been, I'd probably live with the slower hole shot. Say... wanna buy an outboard?
    I appreciate the answer.

Since you used to be in sales, what do you think of all the "gimmicks" offered by the dealerships - you know - the paint sealant, fabric sealant, undercoating..I did not purchase any of it. It seems to me a good wax job twice a year will help keep the paint looking good, and the car already had the undercoating on it, and I don't allow food in my car...so why pay for all fo that?

By the way, when can I first wax the car?

I just love this vehicle!!!!!

Rick