Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• waid10waid10 Posts: 21
    jf01,

Yes the 2001 Limited does have heated front seats. I picked up my 2001 right before Xmas. I am not sure if it is standard though. The seats heat up super-quick, and are great for that cold leather on Cleveland winter mornings. My only criticism is on the location of the controls. Both buttons for the heated seats are located to the left of the steering wheel. So if the passenger wants their seat on or off, the passenger has to ask the driver to hit the button. Not a big deal I guess. My wife's Saab had the buttons in the middle and it just seems like a more logical place so each person can control his own seat.
  • Does anybody out there thinks that the brakes on the 2001 4runner(4WD SR5 with VSC + TRAC) feel mushy or too soft?

TNX
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    My wife owned a '97 and I always though they were too soft. I don't think the VSC has anything to do with it.
  • My 2001 brakes do not seem 'Mushy' at all....maybe you should have them checked ? What kind of vehicle/brakes are you used to driving....comparing with ?
  • Imperial Jade Mica front bumper, together with the valance, OEM fog lights, OEM marker/signal lights, just the way it came off the truck.

Manik brush guard for a '97-'01 4Runner, just hte way it came off the truck.

http://fargo.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~mihai/4x4.html

westbound

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just wanted to note that I've altered the name of this discussion slightly - we don't need the "Part" numbers anymore since here on our new platform we don't have to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts. (Also that shouting and all those question marks were painful!)

I'm finding that there are several other 4Runner conversations going on around here, so I'm inviting all of them to join you here.

By the way I'm your new host - nice to meet everyone. :-)

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    Haven't seen you around the MTC lately. Stop by and say hi.
    I've been too busy lately to relax on the mountain top. Have you seen the Highlander and Sequoia topics? Its brutal trying to keep up.

Thanks for the reminder though.
  • judkeijudkei Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 SR5 with 4WD and have several questions:

1. When the vehicle is in 2-wheel drive, are the drive wheels the front wheels or the rear wheels?

2. The explanation in the Owners Manual regarding 4-wheel drive is almost useless. I think the author used to write software instruction manuals.
    Is there a good source of detailed information on the 4-wheel drive system (I saw cliffy1's message #123, but would like more detailed information).

Thanks
  • jf01 You probably have the 15 inch base 6 spoke steel rims as I do. The majority of late models are sold with 16 in alloy rims which adds 1+ inches to the height.
    Mine is more than high enough for my liking with the 15's.
  • I am 6'4" tall and weigh 325lbs so I'm a good size load by myself. I sat in a 2000 Limited and after adjusting the seat was able to achieve headroom and ample but not what I'd call sprawling room. I've read posts that say head/hip/shoulder room seems to vary ... is this the case.

Secondly, as much as the luxury of the Limited is enticing, I really don't need all the gadgets but would like the input from others as to whether it's worth the cost etc...

Third, I want a vehicle that will last (I like to keep them a minimum of 10 years) with only usual maintenance. I own a lot of rentals as well as a pizza shop and also an ice cream shop so I always have quite a few tools, parts, saws, etc... which I carry (probably amounts to about 500 pounds or so)... therefore, I guess the question is whether this is the right vehicle for what I'm doing? I'm open to suggestions but most other vehicles have very poor economy and are still very pricey.

Lastly, is the higher cost of the 4Runner worth it in the end? I know there is always someone who will have problems ... but would like to know whether this is a good vehicle for what I want to do or is it simply a pretty vehicle that folks buy because they like the looks of it?

Sorry for being so long.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    When you are in 2WD, it is the rear wheels that have power to them. If you want more information on 4WD in general, try www.howthingswork.com or send me an e-mail and I'll send you a list of terms and definitions that may help you further understand my previous post on the subject.

My e-mail is sclifford@kjtoyota.com.
  • Your a healthy fella. I go 6'2" 230 lbs and the 4Runner fits tight for me. I am still comfortable in the vehicle but if I were any bigger I would go with a full size SUV.

I have a cleaning business where I transport chemicals, buffers, paper products etc...

I have a full-size van that I bought used for this job. I just throw the junk in the back and go and I wouldn't do this in my 4Runner. Just my opinion.
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    I thought you were only interested in american owned and made SUV's. What made you change your mind? The 4runner is a great SUV having owned one before.
  • nyxxnyxx Posts: 8
    I posted a question on another board and was told to come here...
    I have a 95 4-runner, manual transmission, 81,000 miles and have started to experience a strange groaning sound when releasing the clutch in first gear. It is a random sound,and only lasts a second or two, sounds like a fan belt going bad, but lower-pitched. I have tried to make the sound on purpose but to no avail. I just recently had all the fluids replaced, it made no difference. Today is a wet, slushy, warmish day and it was the first time that I have not experienced the sound for a while. Any ideas on what could be going on?
  • dbabbledbabble Posts: 13
    Has anyone had problems with a rear diff locker? I have a 2000 4Runner, 4wd, auto, V6. According to the manual, the truck should be in 4-wheel drive and low range when engaging the locker. The manual says the light will blink for a few seconds, and then stay on to indicate it's locked. I find that if I'm not moving when I engage it, it won't lock. When I have it moving forward, slowly, it will seem to pop in. I'm not sure if this is normal, and the manual really isn't too specific. I have never owned a vehicle with a locker, so I don't know if it's me or the truck. It kinda makes sense that it might not pop in when at a stand still, if things aren't lined up right. Can anyone out there clue me in?

Thanks
    You need to be stopped to engage it but it wont actually lock in until you move. I'm not a real big fan of these units because it is fairly easy to damage the vehicle with it completely locked up. Just get yourself unstuck and unlock the thing ASAP.
  • I think it's the clutch realease bearing that's making that sound. Older Toyotas are notorious for this. When you replace your clutch, replace the release bearing, it's just a few dollars more.
  • dbabbledbabble Posts: 13
    Yes, I agree the thing should be used under very specific circumstances. In my case, it was to test it and make sure it works. It was one of the features I insisted on when I bought the truck. I figure a factory locker beats one installed by Joe's Garage. Thanks for the explanation!
  • We are in the process of deciding on a new vehicle. We're staying with a Toyota SUV. We drove some of the others, but always came back to the Toyota line-up. Wow, I can't believe how many there are getting to be! We have it narrowed down to a 4Runner or the Highlander. Leaning toward a 2001 4Runner BUT what about the redesign?! I really HATE it when I get the butt end of a models design! Are there any pictures of the 2002 4Runner? How big of a change will the 2002's be?
  • My 1995 4Runner is smoking at start-up. After the engine warms up the smoke goes away.

The Toyota mechanic is telling me that its the valve guide seals and to replace them it will be around $500. I can get it done cheaper through a local mechanic who has a pretty reputation for about $150 less.

Anybody have an opinion on whether or not I should stick with the Toyota mechanic or local guy?

Also anyone have experience with my problem. Both are telling me as long as it doesn't get any worse and I don't burn more than 1 quart between changes I shouldn't worry about it.
  • I want to install an in-dash CD player in my '99 4Runner, but I'm having trouble trying to remove the big trim panel in the middle of the dash that surrounds the stereo, climate controls, etc. It's not held in by screws, and it won't budge very far when I try to pull it off. Does anyone know of a good way to get this stupid thing off without breaking it?
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    pstrong (or anyone else interested),

I'm not an industry expert, and I don't sell Toyotas, but I'm guessing the 2002 (mid-2002 redesign) 4Runner will not have a V-8 and will not be much bigger than it is now. I doubt it will have third-row seats or many of the features of the big SUVs (Land Cruiser, Sequoia). Toyota is trying its best not to have very many conflicts within its SUV line, so features on one would most likely not be found on another. I don't know what changes will come style-wise, but these changes won't come until maybe mid-2002. I read somewhere that the 2002 4Runner might be based on a new Tacoma platform, so if you can find pictures of that, it might help. Also remember that 4Runners are very truck-like. There are some days that I wish I had a more car-like ride (i.e. the Highlander), and other days I'm glad that I have this truck. Think about that as well as what you need your SUV for before you make any decisions and plop down that $$$.
    All those ramblings are opinion and the speculations come from what I've read in magazines and websites. If anyone can support or dispute any of this, please post a message so I can get my facts right.
  • I recently installed an in dash DC player (2k SR5). Yes it is a bit tricky to remove the clips without damage, then there are wires connecting to controls etc behind the trim. I installed mine in about an hour. You actually have to remove the plastic piece connected to the center console between the seats, then remove the plastic piece for the sifter (they kind of lock into each other).
    I have install instructions from Crutch field, if you want a copy, send me your address to
    chrisbeaman@hotmail.com
  • I bought a V6 SR5 4RUNNER 2000 last year. I voted for Toyota over any other brand of SUVS. The country where I came from, Colombia has plenty of mountains and roughed terrains. I remember the most popular SUV or Jeep on those times was the Toyota Land Cruiser, it was a very nice car. that was about 1970 to 1980 and still those vehicules are running.

Based on that experience, by February 2000 I decided to buy my 2000 4RUNNER. The three months of research on the WEB also help me to decide for my SUV, I was looking not just for a pretty, but a very reliable, well built SUV. I know it is a little expensive, $28,000 (not limited), but is worth it.

Since the time I bought it, I haven't had any problem at all. I live in Miami and have taken two trips to Tampa, one to Key West, Jacksonville, Tallahhasse and Georgia. My next trip will be to the Appalachians, New Jersey and New York and Niagara Falls, and I know tha my 4RUNNER will never let me down.

The response on the engine is very quick and strong even when loaded with 5 passangers plus cargo, and the ride is ver, very smooth.
    I could write pages and pages about my 4RUNNER... forever....
    My e-mail: jaime@jaimenet.com
    Interesting thing came over the fax today. It seems Toyota is dropping the price of the Runners. This is an extremely unusual thing to happen. They are sending us all new window stickers to reflect a $1000 price drop on the SR5 and $1500 on the Limited. Actually, I don't think the base price is dropping but they are making several things standard where they used to be options in the GI package.

Its going to be a few day before I have complete details but I thought I'd let you all in on it.
  • scnamescname Posts: 296
    Does this mean the invoice price also drops?

Is there anything stopping a dealer showing customers the old stickers? I can imagine some dealer pockets the $1000 .
    Sometime in the next week or so, people from Toyota will be showing up with new sticker and physically removing the old ones and putting the new ones in. And yes, the invoice will reflect the new amount. We get this as a credit on our parts account which makes for an accounting nightmare. I'll be very lucky if I am paid correctly on any of these vehicles for the next couple of months.
  • jf01jf01 Posts: 88
    Has anyone had any problems with the hood "fluttering" while driving? I saw a product at flankersolutions.com and was wondering if such a product works and if anyone has tried it or anything like it. The shake is not really a problem, it's just a little disconcerting. Also, has anyone disabled their Daytime Running Lights? All I've done to try is remove the DRL fuse, but they still came on (I replaced it after the DRLs came back on). I'm reluctant and virtually against messing with the wiring of the headlight system myself. Also, are they in some way connected with the ABS, because they come together according to the brochure.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    No, the DRL is not connected to the ABS. It just the way that Toyota decided to bundle them together. Why not just leave the DRLs on? They're not that bad (we've had it here in Canada since 1989; required by law) and help others to see you from a distance either from the front, or behind via the rearview mirrors.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and SUVs message boards