Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• buzzlightbuzzlight Posts: 44
    Corporate has confirmed! The 2003 4 Runner has started production and will be at dealerships by June!!!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,956
    lol, lay your bets gentlemen....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    Let's hope your right!
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Posts: 67
    Cliffy: As a business manager for a dealership, can you explain to me how the residual value
    or buyout is arrived at? Is it based on pure depreciation? A blend of depreciation and profit? I am not contemplating leasing at this time but I have always been curious about how the final lease-end value is arrived at. How is it higher than figuring out a straight loan using the same term and payments? ( I realize that at the end of a car payments schedule you own something and at the end of a lease you own nothing) I was trying to figure this out using a schedule of
    lease payments multiplied by the term of the lease and found that the cost of the lease was
    about 40% more expensive than simply using the difference between the residual value
    subtracted from the selling price using some known interest factor. Please enlighten me.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    The bearings on my Toy's tranny were on an 82. No info on the newer ones. Thats been 7 vehicles ago for me. Just check it out. May not be the bearings.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Your question is a bit confusing to me. Your question seems to be going in two different directions. The residual is the amount that you can buy the car for at the end of the term. If you lease through Toyota, there is no easy way to calculate it because Toyota goes off a formula, rather than a straight percentage of the MSRP like most leasing companies.

The residual is always fixed at the beginning of the lease. It is in writing on your contract. It is the amount you can pay for the car at the end of the term. Profit is not built into this figure.

You seem to be asking more about how payments are calculated. Payments are a simple A+B calculation. You take the gross capitalized cost (sales price plus taxes, fees and added product minus any down payment) minus residual and divide by the number of months in the term. That is the "A" portion of the payment and represents pure depreciation.

The "B" portion of the payment is the gross cap cost plus residual, multiplied by the money factor. Money factor varies greatly from company to company and varies by credit situation. At the moment, money factors can go from a low of .0028 to .0048.

Add "A" and "B" together and you have your monthly payment.
  • jbweiss1jbweiss1 Posts: 1
    I was shopping for a used 4Runner this weekend and was surprised when the 99 Limited I looked at had the push-button for 4WD Hi for dry pavement and the 99 SR5 did not. I thought the 4WD Hi dry mode was standard in 99? Was it an option on the SR5 and standard on the Limited? Any information anyone has on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    From '96 until '00, the Limited was the only one that had a mode for 4WD on dry pavement. In 2001, the Active-Trac system came on line for both the Limted and SR5.
    You are right about being confused. I guess what I was trying to figure out was the "B" part
    of the equation. I looked at the Toyota Canada Web site under "Price Your Toyota". For
    illustration purposes, say I was to lease a 2002 4-Runner Ltd. Price excluding Taxes is
    $50,830 CDN. The residual is $21,765 on a 48 month lease at 6.9%. The difference is
    $29,065. Monthly Lease Payments (excluding taxes) are $815 for a total paid of $39,125. On a
    straightforward loan of $29,065 over 48 months at 6.9%, monthly payments would be
    appox. $695 for a total paid of approx. $33, 360. This represents a difference of about $5765.
    What is included in this figure?? Thanks, I am counting on you to enlighten me!
    You don't calculate the interest on the depreciated difference. This is because you are using all of the $50,830 worth of vehicle for 48 months. I know this is a hard one to visualize, but think of it this way. Toyota Financial Services buys the Runner from your dealer for $50K. They are out that money until the end of the lease at which point, they get back an asset worth 20K.

If Toyota of Canada is using an interest rate, rather than a money factor, I can't help you calculate the exact payment. Money factors and interest rates are not figured the same way, but as a rule of thumb, if you multiply a money factor by 2400, you get the approximate interest rate. Therefore, your 6.9% rate translates roughly into a .0029 money factor. Plug that one into your figures and see how it comes out.
    Thank you! I am almost there as far as getting a clear picture. This "money factor" then is
    only partially related to a certain rate of interest but contains a component of "lost opportunity
    costs" which is a way of saying what the leasing company (TCCC) believes it could have made if it had invested in ventures other than leasing. Pegging it to an APR is not a true representation of the cost of the lease to the customer. Please correct me if this is not the
    case. Thanks!
    You've pretty much got it. The only caveat here is that some companies actually do use an interest rate. Ford does. Even the ones who do don't figure the interest on the depreciation, but on the entire cost of the vehicle. I don't have a good formula for figuring those.

By the way, there is one advantage to the money factor method of calculation. With an interest rate, you pay more interest during the first half of the loan term. On a lease with a money factor, you pay equal amounts of depreciation and cost of money with each payment. It makes it very easy to figure out your payoff at any given time. Just take your residual plus the depreciation portion of your remaining payments.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    MIA at NY auto show. :( I was there yesterday, and did see the new Lexus GX470, however.

Bob
  • Hi, thanks to all who have posted regarding the faulty gas tank and fuel gauge problems. I was having the same problem and didn't know what to do about it until I read your posts.

I went to my dealer and they acted like I was crazy to suggest such a problem, but they ordered the parts and fixed it (under warranty). Now when I drive a couple of miles after filling up my gauge doesn't go to 1/4 tank.

I'm having another problem with my driver's side mirror being distorted. It's been this way since I bought my truck in May '00. The dealer replaced it twice and they are aware of this problem, but they're all defective. They said it's a manufacturer's problem (not a Toyota part) and basically they can keep changing the mirror but they're all be defective and then they say "most people are just living with it". I can't "live with it" because it is highly distracting and dangerous. It takes away from my driving pleasure. I joked that if I got into an accident, I would sue Toyota because it's their defect. Seriously, I am sick of this problem and want them to take a good mirror off another truck or something. Or give me a truck that doesn't have this defect. Isn't this a safety issue? Don't I have a recourse other than "living with it"?

Every time I talk to their corporate offices, they tell me they are working on it. "It's the manufacturer, not Toyota". Well, last time I checked it said Toyota on my truck, not some other manufacturer. It's going on two years now and I want a distortion free mirror. Any suggestions. Please help. Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 4Runner. With the AC on full and the recirculation on, the vent temperature varies between 45 - 50 deg F. I checked our '98 Camry and the vent temperature was between 34 and 38 deg F.

I live in Phoenix and that 10 Deg makes a big difference. Is there any way to adjust when the compressor turns on and off?

Thanks
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    More rumors about the 2003. This is from "OutdoorWire", a good site with 4Runner enthusiasts. Take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=010199

• sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    just got recall on 96 runner, something about faulty rear suspension causing handling problems. most prevelant on 2 wheel drives. forwarded to dealer where i traded.
    This rear suspension problem has been around for a while. I knew my springs were bad last
    summer and came across a Toyota Service Bulletin while looking at a book called "Lemonade"
    in our local library. I talked to my service advisor who was more than happy to replace them
    under warranty (which was due to run out in 4 months). I must also add that I replaced all
    four of factory shocks with Bilsteins less than a week later. What an improvement in
    handling and general ride although it is much "harder". Toyota must have been aware of the
    problem for some time before they issued a general recall.
  • Anyone ever install the Toyota front mud flaps on a 01 or 02 SR5 with fender flares? My SR5 only came with rear muds, but I want to install Toyota fronts. I have the overfenders. Can it be done? Do you have to remove the overfenders 1st to install the muds.

I haven't seen one with the flaps installed.

Thanks..
  • loma1loma1 Posts: 32
    They don't make mudflaps for the runners with the fender flares. I've seen where some people have jury rigged some Tacoma flaps to work. Here's what one person did http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/rdu/e/_/e_dan/section_mud_flaps.html.

Gary