Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    I believe the max. towing weight for the GX 470 will be 6500 lbs, so I imagine the 4Runner will be the same with the V8. The V6 will probably be in the 5200 to 5800 lbs range.

Oh, and sorry about spelling your user name wrong before...
  • khuynhkhuynh Posts: 28
    I am looking for a TORQUE/HP CURVE for the current 4Runner's 3.4L engine. Any scans/links/etc. are much appreciated. I was told that the old '99 4Runner brochure had one. Thanks.
  • Don't get me wrong the more I look at the truck the more I like it. It just appears (to me anyway)that the c-pillar is very wide. I don't mind the angle just what appears to be a large flat piece of sheet metal not in proportion with the rest of the 4runner.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,691
    what the displacement for the '03 V6 is? I'm under the impression that it's been bumped up to around 4.0L. Is that correct? If so, I'm wondering if it's an all-new engine? I'm not sure if the current 3.4L can be enlarged that much?

Also, will the V6 be available with a 5-speed manual?

Finally, my understanding is that the V8 will have the same 4WD found on the GX 470, which is the same as that found in the Land Cruiser—meaning permanent full-time 4WD, with no 2WD mode. However, the V6 will have a 2WD mode and full-time 4WD mode, like that found on the Sequoia. Am I correct here?

Bob
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I've heard both 3.8 and 4.0 for the V6 displacement. In any event, there will be no manual transmission. I think you have the 4WD situation correct.
    The V6 is a new 4.0 litre engine, rated at 245hp and 283 lbs/ft of torque. Only a 4-speed auto is available. The V8 will have a 5-speed auto.

I also believe you are correct about the 4x4 system.

-TB
    I see what you're saying, and after comparing pictures of the current 4Runner to the '03 pics, I agree that it looks bigger than it needed to be. It reminds me of the pillar on the 2-door Chevy Blazer ZR-2, which I think looks really cool, but does block rearward vision. The new Trailblazer and Envoy have a "c" pillar half the size of the new 'Runner, but vision out the back side window isn't much better than the ZR-2. Visually it doesn't bother me too much, but I'm wondering about function.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    The Lexus GX470 is said to be 74" in width so I'm guessing the 4runner will be the same since they are off of the same platform. The Sequoia is 76" in width so it safe to say the this suv will increase in size to keep up with competition and the growing stomach's of the American family.
  • ipkissipkiss Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

I am considering a 02 4x4 SR5, for budget reason. Will buy in Sep if I still have my job by then. Can anybody who recently bought one (or have an idea) to share their purchase price? (against invoice - just below or above, before the incentive, before tax/title, etc.)

i am in chicago.

Thanks a lot!
  • ipkiss,

I went round and round with the Chicago dealers (western burbs) for my 02. Drive up to Carmax in Kenosha. Check out carmax.com

They don't deal, but their prices are very close to invoice. They do seem to charge MSRP for extras (roof rack, running boards etc.) Got my SR5 4WD w/SR for 28K (before taxes-no rebate) through them. The local places wouldn't budge under 30K, but they may start dealing once the 03's hit the floor. You may have a hard time finding what you want as Sept nears though. Your best bet is to be ready and buy when the one you want shows up on their site.

good luck..
    Not that I would want one.

Bob
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    I would think so. In Atlanta, when I check on-line to see what dealers have, about 90% are 2 wheel drive. I know we are wimps, but I guess that is the make up of the market in Atlanta, GA.
  • I bought a used 01 SR5 4WD 4,000 miles in N.W.ARKANSAS for $25,995.00 great suv excellent price.4th TOYOTA I have owned.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Posts: 55
    Any ideas where i can find info on the 03 turbodiesel 4runner engines. Here in the tropics is what you ride on.
    Any clues the lexus gx470 is the prado (for the rest of the world)???????????????????
    Yes there will definitely be a 4x2 version of the new 4Runner.

My best info on the Prado is that it will be a unique design that pulls elements from both the new 4Runner and the GX 470. I have an illustration posted here that may give you an idea of what the Prado may resemble:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A18A24CF

Hope that helps. –TB
    Yes! I wish Toyota would offer turbodiesels for their US-spec trucks and SUVs.

Bob
    thx tbcreative for the pics.
    In the UK the Prado is marketed as the Land Cruiser Colorado, whereas the regular (our) Land Cruiser is marked as the Land Cruiser Amazon.

Bob
    standard diesel engine is 122 hp, d4d diesel engine is 165 hp and a lot of fun, i wish 03 runners come with the d4d engine.
  • tcmilrctcmilrc Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 4-Runner. Love It. Looking forward to seeing the 03 version. We are a 2-Toyota Family (Avalon also). Love these Cars.
  • lydhanlydhan Posts: 1
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has pic's of the 2003 4-runner. I am not sure if I should just buy the 2002 or wait for the 2003. I am also wondering if anyone knows if they will continue to have a sport edition(the one with the hood scoop). Any info would be appreciated.
  • They look like the Chevy TB or Envoy. Cookie cutter look. They seem to cut and not rounded enough. Just my opinion...

The rest of it looks g-g.
  • peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Looking at the rear of the blue 2003 4Runner it reminds of the second generation 4Runner. Also I noticed that the windshield wiper is off the glass when it is not on. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a roll down window. My bets are it will roll down.

As far as the overall look, I guess it will have to grow on me. I know I hate the plastic on the green 4Runner, hopefully that is just a "ugly" option on the car. People who want ugly can choose that option.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    By looking at the seal around the window, If it does anything, it will roll or power down.

Can't see how it will flip open. Could not make out any latch brackets on top of window.
  • whothemanwhotheman Posts: 169
    definitely will be power down. That's why the window looks that way. Always has, always will. Cool!
  • I like the looks of the current 4runner sport edition hood scoop. I understand the 2003 will also be available in this model. Just wondering if the hood scoop actually functions or is it closed off and cosmetic only?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The scoop is purely cosmetic. I had thought that it may improve air flow in the engine compartment, but it is sealed off.
    What about 4Runners with the dealer-installed supercharger? Is the scoop functional on those models?

All (current) Subarus that are turbocharged, have a functional hood scoop, which directly feeds the turbo.

Bob