Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A5

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,048
    edited February 2010
    It is true, the A5 quattro will drive and handle better -- and it will "go" when the coefficient of friction is low.

One more thing, if you buy the FWD A5 it will almost certainly be less desirable used, translating to essentially faster and steeper depreciation.
  • jaffmanjaffman Posts: 33
    dont know what section this is supposed to go in, but would appreciate any input: considering purchasing one of these two cars: 2010 audi quattro a5conv loaded (it was an audi exec car) with 3500 miles for 52000 or pre owned bmw 2007 650i convertible with every option, 27k miles like brand new for 45k.

which one would you pick and why?

thank you very much folks.
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Posts: 44
    In my opinion, 650i is in a different class than A5. it is significantly heavier and more powerful than A5. For me, I won't buy either of them. The reason is that there are better choices. If you should go to http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/cars/, you'll find out that they are not at the top of each class. For example, 650i only ranks 6th behind models such as 911, MB CL/SL, Jaguar XK. It is even behind Nissan GT-R & Lexus Sc. As for A5, its cousin A4 only ranks 7th. Of course, the top is BMW 3-Series in that class.
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Posts: 55
    edited March 2010
    I think this is one of the nicest looking cars on the road. However, when I started to look at the standard features and the options I believe there are better values.
    My biggest complaint is that you can no longer buy a 6 cylinder with a manual. I realize most people don't want manuals but its main competitor, BMW offers a manual across all its models. Then I saw that there is only one CD Slot not six? Even my son's $20,000 Subaru has six. This is a feature I constantly use. To get Xenon headlights which should be $500 to $700 more, you have to buy the entire Premium Plus package which has a lot of fluff in it. Maybe it can be added after market but it will cost a lot more. The sunroof doesn't open all the way, just tilts?
    I also want the Sports package which you can't with the better leather which really dresses it up. One car magazine said it makes it look like a 6 figure vehicle.
    Also I just got back from Germany and I want to go again. It would be great to pick up one there and drive it around. This seems to be the only Audi vehicle that you can not purchase overseas!!

I just compared the A5 with the 328xi on True Delta. Virtually the same price for the same options including the additional costs for the BMW's AWD, leather and power seats. The BMW of course has a 6 cylinder which I much prefer but much less torque. I think a used A5 6 cylinder manual may be the way to go. :confuse:
  • alljosealljose Posts: 3
    I am considering an Audi A5 2.0 T. As someone who has never owned a turbo car I heard some information and am not sure which one is true and what is just a myth. Can someone with experience shed some light on which of these statements are correct

-Turbo cars are less reliable because there is more stress on the engine and more parts are involved, and are more expensive to fix and maintain

-You need to/should wait for a while before stopping the engine

-The acceleration is not going to be smooth because of something called turbo lag (whatever that means)

-On the positive side. You get better gas mileage on the turbo 4 than a NA 6 (I guess this on depends on how the car is driven)
  • I can speak as a 2000 Audi A4 owner. it had the 1.8T engine, and I am only just this week going to a new car after 210,000 miles, and 10 years. I had some minor electrical problems, and I had to replace a lot of sensors and modules in the last two years, but never had any repairs to my engine other then the scheduled maintenance and timing belt changes, etc.

NEVER had any sort of engine issue in ten years, but I was pretty religious abut service and used synthetic Oil for every oil change .\

I just bought an A5 2.0T Premium Plus, Fully loaded with nav/MMI, upgraded leather seats, B&O music system, etc. and am very happy with the look and feel of everything about this car so far (Less then a week). I fully expect that if I am good about the oil changes and regular service I will get 200,000+ miles out of this car too, and enjoy the fact that this time I bought a lot of the creature comforts and gadgets that I didn't the last time since I spend so much time in my car (90-120 mile commute each day considering round trip).

These 2.0T engines have been around in basic configuration forever, so you shouldn't worry about it. The engine growl is higher pitched then a 3.2 6 Valve engine, but you are quicker off the line. Either way you go the engine should be fine for you.
  • alg34alg34 Posts: 2
    How do you like the CLK? I heard Mercedes is coming out with a C-Coupe later this year. Do you know anything about it? I have been leaning towards the BMW 3 Series but considering waiting it out for the Benz.
  • billymaybillymay Posts: 59
    Get this device called an "iPod" and don't worry about CD slots. ;)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    My kids don't even know what a CD is...I said it's like a DVD, with only music, but it doesn't hold many songs.

"Why would you want only songs?"...they assume you should be able to watch movies as you drive; I suppose that's the mentality when you put a DVD player in front of them all the time.
  • billymaybillymay Posts: 59
    I have the automatic in mine. Don't get me wrong, because I love the car, but it's more of a luxury coupe (like an Merc E350) than a sports coupe (BMW M3). I think you'll find a manual to be a bit out of character for the car.
  • Audi A5 is one of the prestigious cars of Audi...Five-link front suspension with upper as well as lower control arms, stabilizer bar and individual, gas-charged coil springs/shock absorbers , plus Independent trapezoidal-link rear suspension with rigid subframe, stabilizer bar and individual, gas-charged coil springs/shock absorbers , even it can fold upto 30 MPH... there are many other features that Audi A5 has.. One of the best piece from Audi..
  • anyone have the nav and b&o systems in their a5? worth getting, or safe to skip?
  • I am considering buying an Audi A5 ; what are road noise/interior noise/maintenance issues
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Posts: 34
    edited March 2011
    Interior road noise is almost nonexistent. I had a hard-top 2006 Volvo C70 previously and was concerned that a soft-top would be much noisier. The reality is my 2010 Audi A5 is quieter. The Audi's soft-top is so well insulated. I could not be happier with the switch from the Volvo C70 hard-top to the Audi A5 soft-top. No maintenance issues either - only thing was it requires topping off the oil fairly frequently due to the efficiency of the engine I was told.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Posts: 166
    I was in the same boat and finally decided on a used manual 3.2 quattro. It's an 09 with 30K miles and I couldn't be happier. This is truly an amazing car...and not just the looks, but the handling, interior, smooth/slick 6 speed, B&O system, etc...just an overall excellent car.
  • nash4unash4u Posts: 5
    Hello All,

Ok, Let me first tell you about my situation. I am Single 28 yrs old, just recently got a job and want to buy a new car. It should have sporty features but should also be a good value for my money.

I have test driven a few cars and have made my mind on 2012 Audi A5 and 2012 Audi TT. I am planning to finance this car for about 5 years and then maybe sell it off.

Please let me know which car would you recommend as my first sports/luxury car.

a few points that I have in my mind for these cars is as below:

1. Audi TT has been one of THE sports cars offered by Audi but Audi A5 is a little more spacious.

2. Both the cars have and I-4 engine, 212 HP and 258 lb-ft of Torque hence there is not much of a differentiation here.

Which one would be the right car to invest today as per my needs.

Or do you think i should go for a more powerful engine such as a V6 offered by BMW 338i coupe or Infiniti G37??

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    I think the TT would make a better sports car

The A5 more livable; in 2 years you get married have kids...they'll fit in the back. Want to go out to dinner with another couple...the seats are fine.

I haven't driven the A5 with the 2.0T...but the 3.2 felt real nice (and the S5 felt Reeaalll nice).

I haven't taken either for an extended time on the highway but i would *guess* the A5 is a little more tolerable for long periods of time.

I've been watching the used car market for the A5 since it's come out and the prices haven't dropped very much. I haven't compared any numbers versus other vehicles, but it appears as though the A5 retains its value (relatively of course).

If you want to take your *new* car to auto-cross on the weekends...then the TT may be the car for you.

I vote for the A5...but wouldn't pause for a moment if somebody else suggested the TT.

The TT seams more of a niche vehicle...but as the saying goes...buy the car for your self, not the next person.
  • looking @ the 2012 A5 premium plus....... does any one have any experience they would share of the sport package.......... is it worth it... Thx
  • Hi,

I'm about to purchase an A5 next week. I usually keep my cars for 5-7 years to get the best value out of them. To those that have A5s do you plan to keep your A5 for a decent amount of time? Any reliability or maintenance issues that concern you?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    "The 2013 Audi A5 receives a face-lift and a few minor interior revisions. Audi Connect mobile WiFi also debuts. The A5's 2.0T engine is a mixed bag. It gives this coupe and convertible class-competitive acceleration and great fuel economy, but it doesn't sound as refined as a six-cylinder at high revs and it transmits some off-putting vibrations through the steering wheel."
    Read the full review.

Claire

HOST