Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Aura New Owner Reports

Comments

• emanresu2emanresu2 Posts: 1
    Its hard to guage the severity of the stumbling issue you are experiencing. If it is enough to visible shake the car and the tach jumps significantly, than there may be something wrong, but if it is an occasional stumble you can feel through the wheel or the floorboards if you pay attention, then you will be told that this is normal. These days practically every car exhibits this stumble at idle - manufacturers program the cars to run as lean as possible without stalling. They do this by continuously leaning the mixture until it starts to stall, then the computer gives it some extra gas and starts the cycle over again. Some manufacturers have longer cycles than others and some, expecially luxury cars mask it better than others, but they all do this. Fixes for this issue would be first to check your gas, is oxygenated or is there ethanol in it? Try buying different or better brand gas from somewhere else for a couple of tanks. This may extend the cycle and reduce occurances of the stumble. If that doesn't work you can ask the service writer at your dealer if they can increase the idle speed. I don't know if how this works on the Aura but is a simple change on some cars. This may cost you a couple of mpgs in city driving but will make the car idle smoothly.
  • sgrmbasgrmba Posts: 1
    I experienced that same behavior in a Toyota Avalon - whining or humming when turning the steering wheel. I have bought 13 cars over the years and this behavior has occurred in various makes. My Avalon also had a problem with the engine 'gelling'. If it got too bad, the only solution was to replace the engine. My advice - never assume that Toyota always makes the best quality cars. I have received more recall notices over the years for my foreign cars than my domestic.
  • sakesake Posts: 11
    I purchased my Aura XR in October of 2006. It is black onyx with the black leather and chrome interior. It has all the upgrades (not that there were that many) including the billet grill, which brings me to my first question...There is a horrible high pitch whining that comes from the grill when it is windy or at speeds over about 50 mph. The grill was replaced once already (because the dealership thought that their sister dealership might have installed it wrong), but the new one makes just as much noise. Saturn says that they are still going to fix it (I am actually taking it in today), but I wanted to know if anyone else who has this grill has been having the same issue?

Also, I have not had the steering issue that has been mentioned by a few other people, but it does seem to have a rough idle when stopped. My biggest mechanical complaint is that the transmission is very “clunky” – as my husband puts it. I thought that it was just because the car was new and needed to be broken in, but it has 11,000 miles on it now and still does it. I am going to mention it to the dealership today. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I was wondering what kind of MPG people are getting in the XR? I know that it is rated 20/28, but I drive almost all freeway everyday and I am lucky to see 23 mpg.
    Thanks!
  • texvettetexvette Posts: 12
    I purchased a new XR and my wife took delivery. I have noticd the the polycarboniate front and rear caps on the car are nto the same shade of sivler nor do they exhibit the deep pearl look as the sheet metal. I am insisting that they correct this issue, as they are all to be the sme color... this is currentlyint he hands of Saturn factory mgt.

Other than this small anomoly, I am delighted with the car. I do not have enough miles to asses fuel economy.

I will provide more feedback on my paint issue as this progress through Saturn.
  • I have not seen the billet grills in the official options list yet. I have seen two aftermarket companies manufacturing these grills and like the look of 12 bars over the stock chrome and black plastic grill.
    Your noise issues makes me wonder if it is a manufacturing problem or a effect of that type grill on this body style.
    I would really like to know who the manufacturer of your grill is.
    Hope you get the problem solved.
  • auraownerauraowner Posts: 7
    I took delivery of an XR about a month ago and have put 1100 miles on it. I'm averaging 17.4 MPG. Since 1983 I've owned nothing but Accords. I love this car. Love the power, styling inside and out and the extreme value. Great buying experience. My wife drives a company 2006 Maxima and she prefers the Aura. Have only seen three Auras since I purchased and I live in car mecca Southern California.
    Interesting data on the gas mileage..... assuming this is on 10% or less ethanol, I would find 17.4 MPG very unacceptable.... I have only run 2 tanks through mime (XR) so far, and am getting a 23+, on my dialy commute... only about 8 miles of 25 mile commute on freeways... otherwise back roads of New Hampshire.
    I would find 17.4 MPG very unacceptable....

I'm not happy about it. I have 26 mile one way commute with approximately 5 miles of stop and go driving on I-15 in Escondido ten times a week. That's what's killing my mileage, not to mention getting a little too frisky with the go pedal to feel the exhilaration of 252 hp under the hood.
    We have similar distances to commute.... but I only have a short distance on I-93 in southern NH.... BUT.... shipping all those horse in a frenzy will create quite an appetite!.... although fun....
  • bob919344bob919344 Posts: 29
    Almost 18mpg with stop and go driving with a heavy foot on the pedal with a 252hp engine is seriously NOT bad at all.. Take a look at all the other comarisons out there. Also remember, NO Way will you get what the sticker gets on ANY car. Actually this year every car will have the MPG re-calculated for a more accurate mpg comparison.

If you get aprox 18mpg in stop and start driving and aprox 25-27 on highway with a 252hp V6 , trust me....Thats good !! For ultimate highway driving mog use the CRUISE!!
    you will get the best mpg always using cruise anytime..

For the Money you cant beat this car !!!!! no way
    For the Money you cant beat this car !!!!
    Agreed. I really love my XR. I'm at a spot in my life where I can afford the fun the 252 horses provide. Money well spent.
    They did not tell me who the manufacturer was, but said that they didn't think they could fix the noise and that they have not received any other complaints about the grill. I find that interesting considering the fact that it was my salesman that first pointed out the noise (he drove the car from a sister dealership). The head tech said he would ask the manufacturer the next time that they are on site. Regardless, I paid $500 to listen to a high pitched whistle. I am less than pleased and considering the experience that I had with the service department last week, I am seriously thinking about cutting my losses and selling the car.
  • Would you sell the vehicle or return the billet grille (and have the Saturn grille reinstalled)?
    It is not jus the grill that is an issue – it is more or less the icing on the cake with this car. Saturn has offered to install the stock grille, but I really don’t like it. Part of the selling point on this car was the grille and the fact that there are not many of them with it.
    Let's see.... you spent $25K or so because you liked the grille on a car and would suffer likely a 20% loss on the purchase by ridding yourself of the Saturn now, so that you didn't have to have an ugly grille on the car... although you cannot see the grille while driving anyway....

makes sense to me ;)
  • How else have you customized the vehicle?
    Like I said – the grille is just the icing on the cake. I didn’t buy an Aura just because of the grille – though it was the reason that I bought this specific one. I am disappointed with many things about this vehicle. I can take a 20% loss now or a 50% plus loss if I wait to sell in a year or two. Seems to be I would rather cut my losses and drive something that I enjoy. What do you drive?
    I just have the grille from Saturn.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    A reporter is hoping to talk with consumers who have participated in Saturn’s “Side-by-Side-by-Side” test drive program.

Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before 4pm Eastern on Friday, August 3 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• sr71sr71 Posts: 8
    After working for Toyota for 13 years I decided to go take a look at the Aura, and have a good laugh. My first impression was that this is not an American car. (Opel Vectra) I was so impressed that I bought an XE.
  • Since you realized that the Aura is the Better of the 2 cars over the Toyota

Next time Step up and get the " XR " and see how much better for the few thousand $$ this is over the XE.....not that the XE is not worth the $ but the XR is great !!

I have had my XR for almost 4 months now after leasing Caddy's for years and years and working for BMW for over 15
    and for the $$$ You cant beat this car !!!! I love it and honestly, when on the highway cruising at 70mph, its a smoother ride than the Caddy ever was. I always had a shimmy in the front and no matter what I did, it was always there, the XR is as smooth as anything I have ever had.

For the $ you cant beat it..... Only thing missing in the XR is - rear seat vents for AC and a nicer interior door panel ( kind of cheep look and feel ) even with the wood trim. But rear AC should be standard in every car today. Its only a rear vent thats needed from the front like my caddy had and many do, even in this class car.

enjoy your XE.................. :)
    I have been carefully tracking the gas mileage on my XR,.. I drive 25 miles one way to work, very little sop and go, but largley back raods, with about 5 miles of I-93 at the end.... even with much care, the best I can muster is 23.7 MPG..... AND if you are prone to make use of horse power, of which it has plenty, you win't do that well..... will wait until I get past 5,000 miles before passing judgemetn, as I have learned with the newer cars, the engine does not really break in to best feul economy until then, at least in m experience....
  • sr71sr71 Posts: 8
    Thanks! We put the Aura on the rack the other day and had a look and the suspension. Very beefy, front and rear. Good geometry. This car is really in the 30k plus range of construction. I see that most of the Opel line is coming to Saturn. I wonder if the Vectra coupe is coming next?
  • dinofdinof Posts: 106
    I own a 2007 Aura XR with just 3150 miles on it
    and have discovered what is a possible defect.
    I have noticed that the plastic rocker panels
    attached to the body just below the doors are
    separating from the metal body they are attached to, creating a 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the rocker panels and the car body. Dealer had no fix for the problem, and showed me the same "defect" on 2 other Aura XR cars in
    the service area. Service dept. said that the separation was possibly due to temperature changes or vibration.........or was possibly a defect. Has anyone else noticed this problem on their Auras ? Please take a look. Maybe the factory will come out with a fix or redesign.
  • Thought I would post an update so new readers might get an idea of how the Aura is doing after 7 months.

My 07 Saturn XR started out getting only 17 and 24 MPG or so early on. Now I have over 13000 miles and I have seen over 30 MPG on one 350 mile run on level ground (Washington to Oregon). I averaged over 27 MPG on that 2300 mile trip, mostly interstate driving running 80 mph most of the time. I just got back from Arizona where I drove in the mountains 4-7000 ft. in and out of small towns. The trip went through Phoenix twice and over 700 miles on I-10. This trip was great because I got to use the paddle shifters in the mountains (call this the really fun part) and drive around a lot of small towns. About 2300 miles and my overall average was 26.8 MPG.
    Love how this car handles the mountain roads, more like a German sports coupe than a SATURN. Oh! That's right it is a German Sports Coupe, I forgot, because it doesn't cost what a German Sports Coupe is supposed to costs.

I am old school when it comes to break-in procedures and that may have something to do with my XR getting better than average MPG's and better than average acceleration (0-60 in 6.0 and 60-100 in 7.6).
    I have over 13000 miles now and the XR is better than ever, and getting better every week.

Phaeton Driver
  • Love my XR. I have seen many comments relative to steering noise (whining) when turning hard to left or right. I had same issue with a week of driving my car. I took it to dealer who indicated this is a known problem associated with the the hydraulic hose for power steering. A different hose would remedy the problem. The part was ordered and within a day it was installed. I have not had the problem since. I would suggest those that continue having the problem contact saturn customer service and discuss further, it might be as simple as a change in the hose. I am not an expert but my dealer apparently fixed the problem with a change in hose. Good Luck!
  • What color did you get? I have an 07 Saturn XE and I absolutely love it also. It is a Pewter Brown. Rarely see any Aura's around (Albany, New York).
    When I do see one, I get so excited. They're still new and I'm not sure that they sell all that many. I've got the sunroof which has been great during the spring and summer months. Leather interior is nice also.
    I am leasing, so I more than likely will get a new one come my 36 month. Saturn salesman and staff were awesome to deal with too; no hassles - ya either want it or you don't. They don't call ya a half a dozen times like some salesmen do.

Anyways, glad you're enjoying you XR. Wonder what the difference is between the TWO of them?
  • I also have the Pewter Bronze color. The XR has a bigger engine and some added options, larger wheels and other ameneties. I have black leather which is very nice. THis is likely the nicest car I have ever owned. Looks great, power is excellent. I have scene several Auras around Fort Myers, Florida. Some times they are hard to spot as it looks similar to the Pontiac G6, The Lexus and the Camry. Good luck with your vehicle and enjoy. The XE is also a great model. :shades:
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    If you haven't done so already, please be sure to rate your dealer!

Start here: http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I was going to wait on the Malibu to come out, but being bored one Saturday, I thought that I would test drive an Aura to get a feel for the car size, performance, ride experience, etc... I never pictured myself buying a Saturn until I drove the Hybrid, XE, and XR. All of these vehicles impressed me. When I started looking at the cost of the comparable Malibu, I had to get a Saturn. I ended up paying $22.8K plus TTL for a 2007 Aura XR. What a great car for the money. Congratulations to GM on a fine vehicle. Watch out competitors.