Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    Took the family to the beach in the Jeep this week. What a great time! It was sunny and about 65 degrees and there was almost no one on the beach except us. This was the first time my wife or kids had driven on the beach. Photos:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mark
  • Sounds like our plans are pretty similar. I have been considering the 8 in a MDF mount as well. I have the whole thing apart right now but I don't have a speaker to test fit. It will probably be a tight fit but possible. The main obstabcle is the bottom of the console tray that is accessible from the top. Depending on the speaker and mount configuration it may work. The other consideration is the emergency break.

I probably won't undertake anything for a couple months because I am doing the HU and four speakers at the moment. I will post some details when I get around to working on it.

As for the rear seat box there is one guy who has a couple different designs and has a great sliding under the driver seat amp mount as well. Really great stuff unlike anything I had seen before. http://www.sirgcal.com/jeep/
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's normal for that to happen if you engage 4WD on a high traction surface............... but not in 12-18"!

The usual cause for binding is one propshaft trying to rotate at a different speed to the other, rather than any problem with the transfer case.

I have to ask, is it possible that one of your axles didn't get its gearing changed, or it got the wrong ratio? That would give exactly the problem you've got, and most vehicles problems are related to the last item that was worked on.
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if they were both change but I did ask for both to be done. I called the shop I got my gearing done and they said to try it on a very loose surface, not my driveway or a hard dirt surface. I trust they changed both front and rear, like the service slip says but I'm not sure without cracking it open. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim
    Actually, cracking them open would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, you can check for sure that the ratios are correct, and second, it's a good idea to change the oil as soon as they're broken in. It's an easy job and the oil and sealant is cheap. :)
  • O.K., this is what I did:

Lifted rear end off the ground. I marked each tire at bottom center, then I marked the drive shaft right at the axle housing, then I marked the axle housing even with my mark on the drive shaft (that way I could see my reference point against my mark on the shaft as I spun the tires). I put a marker on the ground directly under each mark on the tires, spun the tires one revolution only, then did the same on the front end too. This is what I got:

Rearend: 4.5 revolutions
    Frontend: 3.75 revolutions

Wrong gears? I suspect so. Any inputs?

Thanks

Tim
    Seems like they only changed the rear one doesn't it! :mad:

I don't think you need any advice on how to get things fixed though. ;)
  • It sure seems that way.

I've been in touch with the rearend shop and the guy didn't dispute that possibly the wrong gears could have been put in. I'm glad I have the warrenty with them.

Thanks

Tim
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Let us know what happens when you take it back to the shop!!!
  • Do you think it would be ok to use OME shocks with my Rubicon Express lift?
    I'm sure that they'd be fine, and you might give some thought to Bilsteins as well.
  • I'm kind of new to this. What are Bilsteins? I have not heard of them.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Mark:

It does my heart good to see a family enjoying their Jeep together! Glad you guys are having fun with that Rubicon.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Those are some cute little Jeepers you have there.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    ......What are Bilsteins?....

They're another make of shock with a good rep. Made by a Germany company so it ties in with your Jeeps' current heritage. :P

Here's a pic:

If you use the excellent search feature, you'll find a fairly recent discussion covering the correct part numbers and best pricing (I think it was from Autozone).
  • the price on the new bfg mt's at Sams is $150 / each, when I bought my tires a year ago,, they were the best on pricing by far anywhere in Central IL.

jts

if you want them, get them.
  • I've been in contact with the shop who did my gearing since I found this problem and the guy said the possiblity exists the shop could have put in the wrong gears. He said he's seen box's come mis-marked and incorrect gears get put in.

When I called him back with what I found, he said to bring it in and he'll fix it for free. Nice guy the entire time. I don't think I'll have any problems but I'll let you know when it's done.

Leason learned: Check the driveability in 2H, 4H, and 4L when you have gears replaced. I'm glad I dropped it into 4WD prior to going 4X4ing this weekend...

Tim
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Tim:

Do you think that there might be some damage caused by your short time in 4WD? I would certainly have the guy check things out the best he can. Sounds like an honest guy, so maybe he would tell you if you have done any damage because of their mistake.

Tom
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    That was me; Autozone had the best price I could find and it only took a couple of days to get them.
    BTW Mac, while we were installing the Bilsteins we found that the front anti-roll bar links WERE shot. Now the Sahara rides and handles 100% better!
    .......BTW Mac, while we were installing the Bilsteins we found that the front anti-roll bar links WERE shot.......

;)
  • Hey guys. Finally got around to buying my new tires and rims. I decided on all of your advice, and got 5 bfg mt's 31x10.5 and the black AR wheels, 15x8 with 4" backspacing. They'll be in by next Friday, and I can't wait!!!! It's like waiting for my jeep all over again--my second x-mas in as many weeks. I told them I'd likely prefer blackwall out...does this sound good?

By the way, the total price (balancing, mounting, lugs, taxes, etc.) came to $1500 and change Canadian getting just over $100 dollars for my worn GSA's. Not too shabby considering I got a set of five, and the tires alone are $200ish.

Happy in jeepland!

Ryan