Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• pinhead1pinhead1 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info! I just got my dream car 2 months ago 2006 Wrangler X - Solar Yellow and will now look to buy the soft top. So with the Sunrider it is best to keep back window open, does it flop much when open on highways?
  • believebelieve Posts: 74
    Hi everyone,
    I finally found my Jeep!!....I've been missing my 91 for years now. Saturday I pickup my 2002 Sport {"yellow"). It has both soft and hard top and only 30000 miles. I'm finally getting rid of the ford ranger.....it really hasn't been a bad vehicle....easy on gas.....but the fun factor is totally missing!!!.....anyway....just excited here!....later
    Lew
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Way to go! Sounds like a nice find, I like the yellow (bright colors work with Wranglers). Now the fun will start! Post pictures as soon as you can - we love looking at them!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Mark:

Thanks for asking about me. I also got an email from old Tex (Texasjeep) asking about me. It's nice to know that I have been missed around here.

I still check in almost every day, but I just haven't had much to say. I just don't seem to have much enthusiasm for anything any more.

I'm still trying to pick up the pieces and get on with my life after losing my best friend and soul mate, Ross Allen. That has hit me harder than anything that I have ever been through in my entire life. I have Hank now, and I am developing some pretty stong feelings for him, but no matter how much I end up loving Hank, I know that I will never forget my Rossie Pup. I still think of him and cry at least once during the day almost every single day, even though it has been seven and a half months since I said goodbye to him.

For the newer folks around here, please take a look at the website that I made for my Puppy. Well, even for you old timers, you might want to go back and take another look, since I have probably added some stuff, if you have not been there for a couple months or more.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

Everyone who was a member of this forum at the time was very supportive back in September, during the early days after I had to have my Ross Allen put to sleep. Thanks to all of you.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    but I just haven't had much to say

There's a whole new generation of Jeepsters (and potential Jeepsters) out there who desperately need education - and you're the man best suited to provide it! Now, get with the program! :)

tidester, host
    I realize how my last post must sound to most people; they will think I am mentally impaired for caring so much about "just a dog." That's OK, I accept that only a very few people can understand what I am going through, because only a very few people ever love a dog like I loved (and still love) my Rossie Pup.

That picture I included in my previous post says it all... Thelma Jane (my Jeep for the benefit of you new folks), Ross Allen, and "Grandpa." Almost EVERY Saturday, my Puppy and I would go wheelin' at Turkey Bay. I took that picture by holding my digi camera in front of me while Ross Allen and I were driving home from Turkey Bay.

I wrote this "open letter" to Ross Allen a few weeks ago.

"While other family members were too wrapped up in their own activities to give me more than a cursory acknowledgement that I was home, you had been waiting for me all day, and you gave me a hero’s welcome as I walked through the door after work. My arrival was the high point of your day.

Often when I talk to humans, they only halfway listen, having their minds on something else, but you always had time to listen to my problems, and you always gave me your complete, undivided attention as I spoke to you.

People are sometimes in a bad mood and are best left alone, but you were never in a bad mood; it was never a “bad time” to talk to you. You were always there for me.

No matter what sacrifices I make for other family members, it often goes unnoticed or unappreciated, but the least little pat on the head, or a “good dog,” or an “I love you” would thrill you. And, if I took time to play with you, it was almost too much excitement for you to handle.

Humans are always expecting something, making demands, but you asked for so little; you only asked for my love and a tiny bit of attention once in a while. You brought joy and a deep peace to my life every day, and you repaid me for the simple little things that I had to do for you, like feeding you and taking you outside, a million times over.

People have their own lives to live and their own business to tend to; they have places to go, people to talk to, things to get done, and no matter how much they love me, they can only give me part of their time. But, I was the center of your life. You had no life apart from me. I was your life.

Is there any wonder that I loved you so much? Is there any wonder why it hurt me so badly to say goodbye to you on that awful day, September 19, 2005? Is there any wonder why I still cry for you almost every day, even now, almost six months after you had to leave me? Is there any wonder that I will love you forever and will not be whole again until we are reunited? Rossie Pup, Grandpa loves you, and Grandpa misses you."

Well, since Ross Allen was a Jeep dog, and since I mention wheelin', I guess this post is not really off topic, is it?

Tom
    sound crazy?.....I don't think so Tom. I do think you would sound crazy if you didn't feel the way you do. It's been quite some time since my Lab "Holly" went home. I still think of her quite often...and it's been 13 years ago...we do have two other girls right now and they are also up in years...
    I think ...
    The world needs more people such as yourself. And we need you back here on this site....

I will be picking my jeep up hopefully this Sat....my two dogs will also be "Jeep Dogs" when that happens (the only reason I mention that is to stay on topic :) .
    talk later....Lew
    Have you visited my Puppy's website?

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay53/

There is a Jeep Jambo going on at Turkey Bay right now. They sign in tonight, I believe, and then wheel tomorrow and Saturday.

They don't close Turkey Bay for the Jambo, so anyone can still go wheelin', but I think I'll sit this weekend out. I have been there before on Jambo weekend, but not as a participant in the Jambo. Turkey Bay is big enough so that it isn't a problem for non-attendees to wheel while the Jambo is going on.

One of my regular wheelin' buddies is a trail guide for the Jambo at Turkey bay and for the one at Williamsburg, Ky, the "Gateway to the Cumberlands Jamboree." I might try to go to the one in Williamsburg sometime.

Tom

P.S. Congratulations on the Jeep purchase! I want to hear all about your initial impressions.
    my 2002 sport will need new tires....I will not be doing any off roading and I do want it to look good. any suggestions?
    tks...Lew
    one more thing..what is the biggest tire that it will take without any problems?
    Lew:

A stock Jeep will take tires up to 31" in diameter. You don't want to go any wider than 10.50" on factory wheels. They have too much backspacing for more than a 10.50" tire.

The 31 x 10.50 tires look real good on stock Jeeps.

I would recommend BFG All Terrains in the 31 x 10.50 size. Those things are nice looking and wear REALLY well. I had a set on Thelma Jane until I decided I needed mud tires for all the wheelin' I was doing.

Tom

P.S.

You sound like a perfect candidate for a budget boost. Rubicon Express has a pretty nice little kit for just over $200. You get two inches of lift out of them. I think I would still stay with 31" tires, but theoretically, you could go with 33's.

A stock Jeep with 31's or one with a budget boost and 33's will not have much room for wheel travel during flex before the tires rub on the flares. This shouldn't be a problem unless you disconnect the front sway bar, and since you say you won't be wheelin' your Jeep, that may not come into play in your case. If you go the budget boost route and stay with 31" tires, you will have a little more room for flexing, if you ever do disconnect.
    This is what I was talking about when I said the tires can get into your flares when the sway bar is disconnected. You really need to disconnect the sway bar for moderate to severe off roading, and you can see the kind of axle travel this gives you.

The pictures below show the great flex that TJ's are famous for. That spot is not difficult, but it is a good place to demonstrate flex. Thelma Jane's body is dead level, but without the good flex, she would be teetering, with her weight only on the right front tire and the left rear tire. Check the right front tire in the lower picture. It is STUFFED! If I turn the steering wheel, the tire would distort the flare, which has happened many times, but it "ain't no biggie."

Thelma Jane has a two inch lift and 31" tires, and the tires still get into the flares, so you can see that 33" tires would really be a problem.

Tom

• drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168
    I had that same size and a 3" lift on my XJ. They wore well. It was amazing what they would also do on snow (the AT KO has the "Snowflake" rating for sever winter driving, so when the warnings come out, your tires are legal!). I lost mileage, since the package with steel wheels was heavier than stock, and braking went up a bit. So, if mileage is an issue, I wouldn't go up to 33's.

I'm not going bigger than that this time either, as my TJ won't fit in the garage with that much lift!

The soft top is first for me, and since Quadratec charges the Mopar price (1300), it's going to take some time to earn that much cash back for the other projects...
  • greddengredden Posts: 30
    I have a 04 Sahara. I have a Rubicon Express 2" lift. I put OME shocks on a couple weeks ago. At highway speeds I get some bad wobble when I hit an uneven bump. Would a steering stabilizer help with my problem? Thanks
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It depends. Did the wobble appear after fitting the OME shocks? If so, try replacing the originals and see if the wobble disappears. Did it appear after fitting the lift? If so, did you re-center the axles? Is the trackbar tight? Finally, have you checked to see if you've shed a wheel balance weight?

If everything else is 100% perfect, then assuming the original steering damper is worn, go ahead with a heavier duty one.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I'll second the suggestion of the BFG AT tires - I have them on both our Wranglers and they do fine in snow, as well as our dusty, rocky (no mud) dirt roads. I went ahead and got the 30x9.5 instead of going up to 31 inches (expense mostly) and am still very happy with them.

Tom, it's been several years since I lost Winger, but I still think of him with sadness. It took over a year before I could think of him without real pain, and I'll always miss him. It will get less painful as time goes on. I look forward to the day when I retire because then I'll be able to get another puppy.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I'll second the suggestion of the BFG AT tires - I have them on both our Wranglers............

How are yours wearing (I know you do a high mileage)? Mine have got 30k+ and look as though they've got at least another 30k left!
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    I have 50K on my BFG ATs(also 30"). They look to have another 15-20K left on them.
    Tom, Mac, Mtngal....
    So it's ok to up the size from 30x9.5 to 31x10.50?
    again, I'm not doing any off road....except for a little hunting.
    I called Costco to price them (31x10.50= $127 and some change each). I'll go with the extra inch as long as you all agree it's ok.....reason I say that...when I talked to the guy at Costco...he kinda gave me the attitude that I should not do the bigger tire......he said I should go with the factory size......I do know that not all these guys have a clue like you diehards do....just give me the ok....and thank you all for the help...it is very much appreciated!....Lew ">
    I do have a tiny star in the windshield...Im thinking of doing the fix myself....any reason not to?
    You are fine with 31 x 10.50 tires. Lots of people run that size on stock TJs. Go for it.

You are getting a lot of recommendations for the BFG All Terrains, and, as I have already said, I loved mine and would not have traded them in, except that I needed mud tires for all of the off roading that I was doing.

You won't be sorry by going with the BFG ATs in the 31 x 10.50 size. Now, realize that the ATs are NOT good in mud. They are great in snow and for most off roading, just not good in pure mud. Nothing is good in mud, except mud tires.

Those puppies look good, perform well, and wear great.

Tomster