Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    Taking Rosie The Jeep to Cape Cod for 5 days. Due to gas prices I have not done as much summer riding as I would like. Its time to pack the fishing poles, some cold stout and hit the road.John
  • jplymanjplyman Posts: 90
    Okay the crazy part first - My wife and I are thinking of getting rid of one our cars and picking up a Wrangler Unlimited - we both have wrangler fever - we use to have GC that was awsome except when it broke down and we replaced it with a Ford Expedition. We have been toying with this for the last year or so - we even took our kid out in a test drive - the crazy part is we are thinking of parting with our '04 Audi which gets 24.5 MPG - so here are my questions:

1. What kind of mileage are people getting with thier jeeps - I comute 60 miles a day and currently via 285 in Atlanta - my wife only commutes 10 miles a day (lucky her)

2. We have a 4 year old and will be adopting a little girl next year - how do you feel with young kids in the Jeep in car seats & how do they like it?

Thanks and any other information would be gladdy taken.

John
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    1. What kind of mileage are people getting with thier jeeps - I comute 60 miles a day and currently via 285 in Atlanta - my wife only commutes 10 miles a day (lucky her)

2. We have a 4 year old and will be adopting a little girl next year - how do you feel with young kids in the Jeep in car seats & how do they like it?

Honestly, you won't even come close to 24.5 and the safety rating of the Wrangler probably won't compare to a newer generation Audi.

Having kids in a Wrangler probably won't be the easiest, but it IS easier with an Unlimited. I personally would go for something like an Audi A6 Avant for that situation (or a Passat Wagon - same chassis).

If you can wing it, find an older Unlimited and your payments will likely be less, AND you can modify it for offroad if that is your goal, and not be modding up a brand new rig.

-Paul
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    No takers in the Jeep Wrangler: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion yet?

/hint ;)
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    There is NO WAY I am going to figure what my mileage is on my TJ. If I did, I'd probably cry and end up selling Kermit. There is NO way I'm selling him. :)

So I just bury my head, put it in 4lo, and keep on crawlin.

-Paul
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    LOL, so that explains the big empty in that board.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    That sounds excellent. It's been years since I've been to the Cape. We're heading to Stonington, Maine next week, though!
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    1. Mileage is terrible. I've always been just about the mileage champ around here, only because I have a huge elevation difference between work and home (live at about 6,000 feet, work at sea level). I gain more mpg going downhill than I use going uphill. So keeping in mind that you might not be able to get as much as I do - my auto Unlimited gets between 17-18 plus mpg on our commute normally (150 miles round trip, 90% highway, some slow-n-go, some high speed - if you want to call no faster than 65 "high speed" and using the cruise control to enforce that speed). Add any wind and it goes down significantly. Add in some stop and go, lots of stop signs or lights and it drops to below 14. Driving more than 65 lowers my mileage by almost 1 mpg, over 70 and it will be worse than that. In other words, mileage is terrible.

2. I don't have kids, however, I'm often reaching into the back to get things out of the back seat. Before you buy, take your car seats and try putting them in and taking them out several times. Its awkward, but not impossible, so make sure you are willing to deal with it, especially if you will be doing it often.

Have I scared you off yet? If not, then go get your car seats and visit a dealer to find your Wrangler. If the lousy mileage and awkward accessibility hasn't scared you off, then you have Wrangler fever and you'll feel much better when you have one in your driveway.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Posts: 252
    I don't even bother keeping track. I know I get about 300 miles per tank. Thats with top down almost all summer. I have 6 grandchildren. Three of them race motocross and have for years. They love the Jeep. I almost have to duct tape them in their seats to keep them in. I drive very easy with them in the Jeep and stay very aware. It only about a foot between them and the tailgate, then the spare and thats it. No real neck protection per whiplash possibilities. Actually, no protection. I would look at the Unlimited for a little extra protection. Its a personal choice but be fully aware of what your getting into with a Jeep.Keep asking questions.Also,can you rent one for a few days? Have you had one before? Well, I am off to the Cape. Have fun Keats!!!! Good Luck, John
  • mcrrtmcrrt Posts: 88
    Hi John,

I've had my Unlimited for a little more than 2 years now. I commute about 12 miles each way to work, and my general driving is about 50/50 city/freeway. I've been getting about 17mpg overall with "normal" driving (no more than 65 on the freeway, using cruise). If I specifically drive for economy (60 on the freeway, slow starts from stop lights, coasting down hills and off-ramps, anything to keep the revs below 2000), I can get 19. In an area like Atlanta, you might not be able to get away with some of my "tricks" without angering other drivers (I live in rural Michigan). As Mtngal mentioned, mileage really drops off after about 60 mph.

Regarding children, I have twin 2 1/2 year olds who enjoy riding in the Jeep. The extra room helps, and their booster seats fit just fine. It's a little awkward to crawl back there to buckle them in, but it's not a big issue as this is not our primary kid vehicle. They sit up high, and really like the view out the big windows. Common sense will tell you it's not as safe as your Audi (no side or curtain airbags, fabric or fiberglass top that offers little protection, not as stable as a car in emergency maneuvers), so I don't know as I'd recommend it as an everyday kid transporter.

How about replacing the Expedition with the Unlimited, and keep the Audi for economy/kid shuttle?

All that being said, any Wrangler is going to be pretty loud, ride stiffly, and get lousy mileage. I still love mine! ;)

-Marcus
    Regarding getting rid of the Expedition - not an option we both like the ride and it is great for trips. That is my primary commuter also (60 Miles) my hope is that the Wranler Unlimited would be able to match the Expedition awesome milage of 16 MPG if I drive and 14 if my wife drives.

I'm a big guy 6'1 and just north of 250 (trying to go south of that) - we are looking at this as our second car to take on camping trips and to the lake. Also, we will have to fight over who gets to take it each day :-).

We have been debating about a Wrangler since 2000 - at that time we bought a GC and decided we didn't want two Jeeps - should have sold the GC LOL.

So I guess the bottom line is we are crazy - the Audi a great car but its to small for me - I like sitting up high and having some room.

Thank you all for your insight into the crazy world....
  • kginfjeepkginfjeep Posts: 8
    I have an 05 Unlimited, commute 60 miles a day also, about 52 of those are highway. When I have calculated the mileage, it is usually 17-18 mpg.

I think the access to the rear seat would be difficult with baby seats, you definitely need to try it out before buying.

I enjoy owning the vehicle, but only as a second car, not as the primary vehicle for kids. The upcoming 4 door version could be a big improvement...
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    Ditto on all of the previous feedback. I have had an unlimited for a year; mileage is rotten, its a pain to get the kids in and out, its not inherently as safe as most kid haulers...and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have a 2yr old and a 5 yr old and they love the Jeep. My 2yr old son complains everytime we get in my wife's Volvo SUV and yells "Jeep!" every time we pass one on the road. Understand what you are getting into and do NOT buy one without installing the car seat(s) and climbing in and out of the back to buckle in the kids a few times. I would also highly recommend the Unlimited with the stability and extra crumple zone that comes with the 15 extra inches of overall length. Lastly, mine is armored up with aftermarket front and rear bumpers and rocker protection which I hope adds some protections in the event of an accident. Good luck!
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    I must say, I put off buying a Jeep, which I always wanted, until my daughter was 7. But, crumple zone is not the worry. I don't believe there is a crumple zone. The rear bumper sits right on the frame rails. The frame is not going to crumple all the way into the back seat in a collision, unless the Jeep is behind an immovable object. So, don't let that determine whether you get an swb or an LJ. The real safety issue is that the roof is not fixed. So, if you believe your children shouldn't do anything without a super-duper padded helmet, then go buy a Volvo. If you are a safe driver, and watch what you're doing buy what you want. I drove both an LJ and an swb, and the swb was by far more fun to drive. It felt like a REAL Jeep (no offense LJ owners).

I remember being 8 years-old and riding on the back of my dad's Gold Wing, and I thought it was the best thing in the world. Thank God he wasn't a soccer mom deathly afraid for my safety. Those are some of my fondest memories...
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    speaking of gas mileage...has DC scrapped any ideas of putting the Diesel in the new Wranglers? Seems to me that would help significantly. A guy I work with drives a diesel Jetta and get's crazy MPG..close to 50, and drives like a nut to boot. On the flip side, he's had tons of trouble with the vehicle and not much support from VW.

-Dan
    I read elsewhere that the diesel won't pass the stricter emissions standards and is also being dropped for the Liberty. Export Wranglers will get the diesel as an option. Maybe Mac or someone can confirm.
  • kginfjeepkginfjeep Posts: 8
    As promised, here is my report on this problem, which I noticed above 50 mph.

The problem appears to be caused by the velcro built into the top that wraps around the 2 bow.
    I find that less noise occurs if I just leave this velcro "flap" resting on top of the 2 bow. I may experiment with putting some cloth "shims" between the 2 bow and the top to see if this increased tension makes things even quieter.

But bottom line - the velcro - when stressed by the top flexing - made a crinkling noise that I found annoying.

Also, I confirmed that in my Jeep, changing the A/C between fresh and recirculate did not make a tangible difference in this problem, but I think that having it in fresh air may keep the side windows bowed out a bit, which seems to cut a little noise from there.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and willingness to help!
    Thanks for posting the results. I think you'll want to put the velcro back in place before lowering the top so that everything folds up nicely. I wonder if the velcro noise would have stopped over time as it reached its "comfort zone"?? I don't have a similar noise but I don't recall if I had any of that early on.
    Okay after the feed back and the fever which never goes away we are hoping to get a good deal on a 2006 Unlimited - our son is very excited - anybody have a dealer in the Metro Atlanta area that was either really good or really bad.

Can't wait!

Thanks for all the info.

John
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    LOL! Yep, you've got Wrangler fever all right. Wonder how long it will be after you get yours before you try some trail somewhere and really get hooked (Tom, I'm thinking about you - hope things are going all right for you and that you are hitting the trails a lot).

I'm bummed because they just closed a significant part of the national forest I live in, including one trail that I enjoy exploring in the early morning. I can't really complain - the closure is a fire closure - there's an active fire burning all along that ridge (sigh). Paul, if you are around - the fire is all along that ridge north of Frazier Park itself, getting a little too close for comfort to us, but not where there's any threat.