Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Hi Everyone.

I had a 2000 Wrangler Sahara 5/sp. Now have a 2003 Wrangler Sahara auto.

For some reason, it APPEARS that the turning radius in the 2003 is not as great as the 2000. Is this possible?

Last time a asked a "is this possible" question, it was about lower sitting seats. I got that one solved with the seat risers from Buchannan Machinery. They work GREAT!

I do hope that the turning radius issue is in my head, cause I have a feeling that if it isn't... the mod on that could be a doosey!

Thanks for any thoughts - Chuck :confuse:
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    The turning radius should be the same, due to yours having the same basic components as the earlier models. However, it's possible that yours was set conservatively at the factory. Adjustment can be made after the fact, though you will incur the great expense required for the purchase two bolts and two nuts.

The procedure is the reverse of that needed to reduce the turning radius when fitting larger tires. The adjustment bolts need to be screwed in which will allow the wheel to turn further before hitting the bolt head. New locknuts are required because when the setting is made at the factory the nuts are welded to the bolts to prevent any further adjustment.

• Hi everyone...its been since probably september since ive posted...hope everyone is doing well.....

Ive owned several jeeps but it looks like over $3 a gallon is here to stay and probably higher if a hurricain heads toward the gulf of mexico. I sold my 98 GC and Envoy and moved to a Pontiac Vibe which is getting 35mpg. I still own my 05 Rubi Unlimited but the wife has taken over as she does not drive much but still hurts when we fill up and its $45+. I really like the new wrangler coming out in the fall but with gas prices the way they are its just doesnt make $$$ sense to buy one. I had plans to go to Colorado later this summer wheel the rockies with jeep jamboree. I have reservations but hesitant now as gas continues to climb and its a 16 hour one way drive at 15-16mpg. I'll probably just stay home...its a bummer...

If gas prices continue to climb only the people with lots of disposable income or down right rich will be driving the fun vehicles with low MPG while us working stiffs will be in the small tin cans to save cash....class distinction will be more obvious on the road and not just in a neighborhood....
  • If i were in your situation and really wanted a wrangler and had a child (i do also) i would wait for the new wrangler to hit in the fall. If mileage is not an issue no biggie but if it is get ready for a hit. Ive average right at 16mpg and is why i let the wife drive it as her primary and i switiched to a Vibe. Like the vibe luv the wrangler, lol....

The unlimited is nice with its extra space in the back but kinda a pain to get my 3 year old buckled in. Im sure when he is 4+ he can do it himself but till then its no fun. What i found out here in my area...dallas/fort worth...the resale value of vehicles with low MPG have slumped. I talked to a dealer about placing an order for a new wrangler and just getting the bare bones 4 door as my wife luvs the jeep but they priced mine and only wanted to give me $15,000...and its an 05 auto rubi unlimited soft top with 14K miles...

If u really want a wrangler get one but just be aware the MPG is pitifull so be ready to spend some $$$ on fuel...
  • Thanks for the information, Mac.

Question, if the lock nuts are welded to the bolts, how do I get them out so I can replace them with ones that would allow a tighter turning radius?

Thanks for the picture. I will have to get under my Jeep to see exactly where the nuts are positioned relative to where they could be.
    if the lock nuts are welded to the bolts, how do I get them out so I can replace them with ones that would allow a tighter turning radius?

Just use a ring wrench or a deep socket on the nut and the nut/bolt will unscrew together. Take them to the hardware store and match them up.

The picture illustrates how to reduce the turning radius by placing a washer behind the nut, so yours won't have a washer there. Start with the new bolt set to the same depth as the original then screw it in a turn at a time until the tires just rub at full lock, then back it out half a turn and lock it with the nut. Each side will need to be adjusted separately.
  • dnashdnash Posts: 35
    I got mine (2000 Chili Pepper Edition) at the dealer in Cartersville and had a good experience, but back then they didn't have a great selection. Marietta Jeep seemed to have a great selection, but I liked the one in Cartersville and never pursued purchasing one there.
  • jplymanjplyman Posts: 90
    So what color is your Rubi and how much are you looking to get for it - I might be able to swing a trip to the DFW area - The Atlanta area gas guzzlers are holding there value shot me an email I change my address to public -

As far as gas mileage goes - our Audi is to small for me so I drive our Expedition on my daily comute and my wife drives the Audi about 150 miles a week so our gas bill will go up about 15 a week or so - cut back on meals out.

Also, on MPG I can be a good miser - I got 23.9 on my trip here this AM coming across 285 in our expedition with the big engine - I may have made some people mad.... Oh well they not the ones paying my gas bill
  • jpr18jpr18 Posts: 5
    I spotted the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-dr in Las Vegas, Nevada on 7/20/06. Behind it was the new Dodge Nitro. I got a picture, but its blurry, but you can clearly see the Dodge but not the Jeep because it was towing a trailer.
  • Hey all,

I am looking at a 2006 model and was wondering if I am being foolish, looking at a wrangler with a toddler at home. My ex is worried that the vehicle is too tippy and doesn't have the safety equipment for the kids and is also unsure a child seat can even be installed. I owned a 1999 before this worry but don't recall how childseat ready it is or for that matter how safe the vehicle was.

Any thoughts??

Derek
    Derek -

You may want to look back a few pages in the Am I crazy and Gas milege question that I posted as I'm in the processes of buying an '06 Limited - Wranglers have gotten a lot better with there tippiness but like any SUV type they can roll over if you drive them improperly. The '06 wrangeler (I've only looked at the Unlimited but would think both would have it) have the LATCH system so a car seat would attach very easily. also check out the www.iihs.org and safecar.gov for crash test scores.

Good Luck

John
    Well I think we are going to sign the paperwork tomorrow on a new 06 Unlimited Black with the H package - $22,500 out the door could get a little better but they gave me a much better trade value....

Derek - Our 4 year old is loving the Jeep and there is LATCH you will need that b/c the seat bell doesn't lock very well. Also, I find getting into the back very easy to get the seat in and out.

Now its time to start finding some good accesories.... any advice where to find accessories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone!!!
    Hello all - well we signed the paperwork today but not on the black - we got the bright silver.

Now its time to have fun - has anyone connected an iPod to thier 2006 wrangler with in-dash 6 CD changer or an XM roady?

Thanks

PS Loving the wrangler just have to come up with name for her now.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    OK, I have one of those random noise questions. I know it's impossible to diagnose a noise on a message board :blush:, but hears to hoping someone else has had the same issue.

When I push in my clutch, I hear a "click or tap" at full pressure (to the floor). It's happening every time.

Is this a sign it's ready to die? BTW, it's a 99 with about 70,000 miles on it.

Any info is appreciated.

-Dan
    Is this a sign it's ready to die?

I don't know, but with 70K miles of use on it you should probably prepare yourself, both mentally and financially, for its replacement in the not too far distant future.

The use of a friend (to press the pedal), and a long, thin, screwdriver (to use as a stethoscope), will help in isolating where the noise is coming from, which could be anywhere from the pedal to the clutch itself.

Obviously, don't do this with the engine running!
    Thanks Mac, I'll give that a try.

Generally, what happens when a clutch fails? I've owned several manual vehicles, but I guess I've been lucky enough to not see a clutch fail.

Will I simply not be able to shift anymore?

-Dan
    The most usual mode of failure is when the material on the clutch friction plate wears away. This often coincides with a weakening of the spring pressure of the clutch pressure plate.

When this happens the clutch will slip, which will be made apparent by a surge in rpm when you accelerate, but with no corresponding increase in vehicle speed. When the clutch starts to slip it's the beginning of a rapidly increasing cycle. The more it slips, the hotter it gets, and the hotter it gets the more the friction material wears away, which is also why you should never drive with a foot on the clutch pedal, or slip the clutch excessively when moving off or changing gear.

It's also possible for the clutch to fail in such a way that it cannot be disengaged, in which case you won't be able to engage a gear to pull away. Failure of the clutch hydraulic mechanism will also give the same symptom.
    great explanation. Thank you.

I'm going to have a mechanic take a look at it. I have a 500 mile trip coming up soon and the last thing I need is to get stranded in the middle of PA.
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Yes, PIE makes an adaptor for the Jeep head unit (model # CHRY 02) This adaptor makes your head unit think that the Ipod or XM Roady 2 is a CD changer. I have one and it works great. I use it with both.
    Hey everyone when I was looking at buying my Jeep in the Atlanta area - I looked at CarMax and caught them trying to pull a fast one past me. They entered all my information into thier computer along with my trade-in to see what my payments would be - well I started to look at the whole deal and I noticed that my payoff was $500 more than what Audi told me that day - I went home and called Audi again and my payoff was still $500 less than what CarMax had "Confrimed" in thier system -

Bottom line - make sure you know what your payoff is so you don't get ripped off!!!!