Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Posts: 412
    Ahh, Tomster, I thought about switching back to the hardtop this past weekend, as I usually run each top about 6 months. But, I couldn't. The weather was too perfect and I had the top down all weekend. It was awesome.

It's hard to beat driving around with the top down and some Sinatra blairing from the cd player.
  • Keats. Keep that top down for as long as possible. Frank would want it that way. John
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    The picture is awfully small, but it looks like a picture of your windshield header. I assume you are asking about the "footman loop," which is that little thing that looks like a handle.

That thing is used for securing the windshield to the hood to keep it from banging when it is folded down. Those little knob-like things on the hood are for the folded-down windshield to rest on, and that loop thing gives you a place to run a strap through to secure the windshield.

Not too many people fold down their windshields, though.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Here's a bigger photo from Brazuca's CarSpace album.

I have some plastic footman loops screwed into the interior of my minivan to use as tie-down points for bungie cords. Handy gizmos.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Great explanation of what goes into a lift. Once I found out about some of the things you have to think about, I gave up the idea of lifting mine. However, a couple of weeks ago we turned around on an otherwise relatively easy trail because we didn't have enough ground clearance. That's the first time I've really wished for more!

So autumn has arrived! We actually had rain Sunday - thank you, Tom, for sending some of that wet stuff our way. It dampened things down and while it wasn't a huge amount, I'm sure it helped all those wonderful firemen who did such an awesome job around my little neck of the woods, saving everyone's homes.

If there's any Jeepers out there who are fire fighters - you certainly have my respect! So many guys who had to pick up and leave on a moments notice, to spend days in high heat against a big fire, camping under the stars miles from their homes (they even came from New York City, a long way from California) - that's real dedication!
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Like folks said, Jeep put it there to tie down the windshield onto the hood, but most folks will instead end up using it at some point with a bikini top.
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Guys, thanks for the tip. I believe the previous owner used it with a bikini top, I just don't know how it would work. I don't think it was used to hold the windshield down. Let's see, I will use it next summer most likely.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Most bikini tops have a strap that comes back from the roll bar to that footman loop on the windshield to tighten it down, like so:
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Thanks for the picture, now I can see how it works. Great !
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    As far as I know, ATF+4 is still only made by Mopar, i.e. there's no generic alternative as there is for most other transmission types. However, I noticed a shelf of it in Wal-Mart today at under $5 a quart. Your mileage may vary of course.

Just thought I'd let you know. :)
    For those of you that get 'Speed', there's a half hour 'Test Drive' of the Unlimited at 9.00pm ET this evening (and repeated over the next few days).

Speed 'Test Drive' Link
  • WHEN ARE THESE NEWLY DESIGNED UNITS SUPPOSED TO HIT THE DEALERS LOTS?
    Round about now, give or take. If you order one it'll take six to eight weeks.

(P.S. Inside voice please, all caps is SHOUTING!)

:shades:
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    I drove by one of the larger Jeep dealers in my area (MA) and it had 2 Unlimiteds out front - 1 red X with hardtop and 1 silver Rubicon with softtop. Both looked really sharp.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    hehehe The local dealer told me that Rubicons come on 35's. :) I had to correct him that it came with 32's but with a small 2" lift could fit 35's w/o too much effort.

They wanted my little ol' TJ. I told them no way.

They asked if I liked the 4 door. I said for onroad, yes. Offroad no. They seemed totally perplexed. I told them that given the Unlimited's wheelbase and width it was adequate offroad, but that breakover angle and shallower departure angle could create some issues where I wheel. I told em SWB for offroad.

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    A goup of KJ's (Liberty's) will be coming to Turkey Bay tomorrow.

You just never see any of them on the trails at Turkey Bay, and it will be very interesting to see their capabilities.

Most of the guys who are coming down have done some mods, but I think at least one Libby will be stock.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Where are the pics?
    Well, I put the hard top back on yesterday. I have a buddy who always helps me get it back on. After mine was on, we went and put the hard top and full doors back on his CJ. It is amazing how much better the hard top design is in my 04.