Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• "I don't want to have to go to all of the "sub sites" to get both technical information and to follow what's going on in the community."

For example, if I ask a question about hydraulic winches on the community site and Mac answers on the community site, what happens to the post? Will I find the answer where I posted the question or will the hosts create a new topic on winches?

Or...what happens if you have an topic area dedicated to winches and Mac (for example) isn't watching that area...am I as likely to get an answer?

By the way...thanks for replying.

Dennis
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    That's the big question, isn't it? Who's going to be providing the answers?

I can only speak for myself, but at the moment I track this forum and the Jeep Wrangler:Problems and Solutions one. If you go to the You are here: at the top of the page and click on the first Jeep Wrangler you will see a page full of separate Jeep topics, most of which are individual questions, and most with a response only in single digits.

I can only imagine how many there will be as this implementation goes ahead. I'll continue to track this forum (and then the one it morphs into), plus the aforementioned P&S one, but that's as far as it goes. I hang out here because so far it's been enjoyable, but it's not my job!

I don't mean to imply that I'm the only one that answers questions here, I'm certainly not, but I think more people come here initially with a question, rather than to answer one. I don't see where the 'answer people' are going to come from that will be needed to monitor all the new narrowly focused topics.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    what happens to the post?

Good question! I'm trying to come up with solutions that will make all parties happy and I think we're almost there. :)

My first reaction to your question is that if the question is of sufficiently general interest (along with the answer!) we could ask the person who posed the question to post or repost it in an appropriate topic or one of the hosts could move the entire thread to the right location. On the other hand, if a question and answer sequence relates to a very narrow issue then we'd just leave it where it is. (And don't ask for definitions of "sufficiently general interest" and "very narrow issue" because I don't know them yet!)

Incidentally, I do appreciate the feedback I'm getting from everyone here!

In the meantime, let's pick up the discussion in Jeep Wrangler: Meet the Members!.

tidester, host
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Hi Tom - I end up working my way from old posts to new as I only seem to get in here in spurts...I think as my work-stress level increases I find the good folks like you on the forum here is some form of therapy for me :D

Can you fill us in on the results from the KJ group at TB? I'd be curious how everyone came through with their Liberty's if you can share any observations.
    I end up working my way from old posts to new as I only seem to get in here in spurts...

Keep reading jimlw2. You need to reach the end before you get locked out.

The continuation of this forum is here: Jeep Wrangler:Meet the Members
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Man, I see what you mean...Just like so many of my favorite places to eat out and/or enjoy a drink that get torn down and replaced by banks or an Applebee's...Yet one more time to say "nothing ever stays the same these days"...bummer.

Here's to hoping this great forum of Jeep Wrangler dialog stays so well-alive in the new format.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I guess this discussion is still open to new posts?

Man, I have been away for a few days, and I come back and find all these proposed changes!

Well, Edmunds apparently has some kind of vision for the boards that is far different from what we have had here in Jeep Wrangler up until now. It's certainly their prerogative to make whatever changes they see fit. After all, we don't pay dues around here.

I don't see how we can continue to have the "community spirit" that we have enjoyed around here for so long, if we have to have separate discussions for every aspect of Jeep ownership.

I will certainly not try to visit 15 or 20 different discussion threads every day just to keep up with what folks are saying or to answer questions that newbies might be asking.

I'll stick around and see how things go, but I am not very optimistic right now.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

Oh, forgot to answer your question, Jim. The Libby's did OK for SUV's, but they could not begin to do what a Wrangler can do. That's OK, though, because they are not intended to do what a Wrangler can do.
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Jeep Wrangler. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Jeep Wrangler discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Jeep Wrangler board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Jeep Wrangler owners!

Now ... past the boilerplate ... I just want to say that this is an exceptional group and I've truly enjoyed reading all of your enthusiastic posts over the years. Let's keep it going in our newly refurbished Jeep Wrangler: Meet the Members!

tidester, host
    Please go to Jeep Wrangler *Wave* & Meet to talk with other Wrangler owners!

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Thank you (all).
    Oh, Baby! Home again!

Tidester, turn up that thermostat a little. You must have had it set for a lower temperature while we were gone.

Did you remember to have the post office resume mail delivery? How about the newspaper? Did you get it started again?

Did you tell the neighbors we're back?

Thanks for listening to your members, Edmunds!

Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part and direct newbies to the proper discussion for their particular problem, if there is an existing discussion on the subject. BUT, while they are here, we can certainly invite them to stick around for general discussions about Jeeps and become part of the family.

I think I can live with that modus operandi, how about the rest of you?

Tom
  • Glad it's back!!!
  • Thanks, Tidester. Most Excellent.
    Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part ...

Thank YOU! :)

tidester, host

P.S. Who's gonna trim the lawn? Looks a bit shaggy.
    I will check out these spacers you are talking about. I am intrigued by the "controversy"... What could be so controversial about them? Do they break easily? Are they expensive?

Wheel spacers originally got a bad rep from bad castings and screw-on lug bolt extensions. Good quality ones like those from Spidertrax are fine. One downside of either spacers or a wheel with increased backspacing is that it places a higher load on the wheel bearings and shortens their life. However, spacers will allow you to keep your original wheels.

Either method should alleviate rubbing on the inside of the tire, but you may have problems with fender clearance offroad as the axle articulates. A lift will then be the next logical step.

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Mac, I use those exact same Spidertrax spacers on my Canyon wheels to give me 4.25" of backspacing. You mention that is puts a higher load on the bearings, but how is a 5.5" BS wheel with 1.25" spacer (giving 4.25" BS) any different than the 4.25" BS wheel without a spacer? Many run 4 or even 3.75" BS on their Jeeps, so I'd like to understand just how a spacer will impact the bearings any more than an aftermarket wheel.

Not trying to flame, just understand.

-Paul
  • Sounds good to me. Thanks Tidester and thanks to Edmunds for listening to its members. Some things just don't need to change. This seems to work for everyone. People can be directed to areas of specific interest and some can just hang out . Tom and Mac-have you heard form Mtngal(sp) since the fires in Calif.? Go easy Everyone, John
    Paul:

I'm sure Mac will speak up for himself, but I think he meant that either wheel spacers or lower backspacing in the wheels would put more stress on the bearings.

Tomster
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Tom, that is kinda what I expect. It would be more a function of the BS amount, vs how you got there (assuming you used a decent spacer, like the spidertrax).

No way would you get me using the 'traditional' spacers.

-Paul