Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    My '74 Jeep was good for me in lots of ways. I had the shop weld on some pipes to the front and rear bumpers and kludged together a canoe rack out of pipes. When the wipers failed, I tore into the motor housing, and replaced the rotting gas tank myself. Never was especially handy with cars, but everything is "right there" with a Jeep.

So when I needed better racks for my little Tercel, I had no problem drilling holes in the roof to attach some homemade rack brackets. First thing I did with my new Quest was to screw in a bunch of D rings on the inside to hold cargo out of the way. 9 hay bales inside? No biggie.

The CJ-5 taught me that there's not much use keeping a new car pristine if you want to get some utility out of it. Plus you may get rear-ended any time, so why sweat it?

Somehow I doubt that I'll ever get that much mud in the van, but I do know how to take the seats and carpet out. :shades:

Winches, brush catchers, can holders, radio rigs, lifts and roll bars. Those are the popular mods I can think of off-hand. What else?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    So when I needed better racks for my little Tercel, I had no problem drilling holes in the roof to attach some homemade rack brackets.

OHHHHHHHH! :cry: That made me cringe big time!

While I often mod our vehicles, I always do it in such a way that it can easily be returned to original, even if a panel or piece of trim has to be replaced.

It's pretty hard to go back from a bunch of holes drilled in the roof. :sick:

Still, you're entitled to do what you like to your own car, so I'm making no personal critisism here. ;)
    edited January 2012
    Well, it's not like it's a structural alteration. And even Yakima makes brackets intended to be permanently attached to the roof. A little silicone and you're good to go. Safer than a sunroof for avoiding leaks down the road.

C'mon Mac, even my minivan has factory drilled holes in the roof for the (mostly worthless) OEM rack. :-)

Just measure twice before drilling. ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    edited April 2012
    Hey, Jeep buds! The old Tomster is back (and with a NEW Jeep).

I'm looking forward to exchanging posts with my old friends here and making new friends. I see PaulE and Mac24 are still here and good old Steve is still hosting. Hi, you guys! I haven't had a chance to look at many posts yet to see if any others of my old friends are still here.

I had gotten to the point where I was only taking Thelma Jane (my 2001 Sport for those who have come along since I was active on this message board) down to Turkey Bay three or four times a year and she was sitting in the garage for weeks at a time. So, after ordering her from the factory and owning her for 11 years and 10 days, I sold her on 12/18/11. If any of my old friends are still around here, that must be a real shock to you. Everyone knows how I loved my Thelma Jane.

Anyway, I couldn't stand being Jeepless, so I bought a brand new 2012 JK Sport with the "S" order package, a soft top, and a six speed manual tranny.

Unlike Thelma Jane, this Jeep is going to do only very, very mild off roading. I will not allow her to get beat up like Thelma Jane was. This Jeep will be a "mall crawler." That's why I call her "Molly Jane." :)

God bless.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

Meet Molly Jane...

Sweet! Welcome home. :D
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Welcome back, Tom.

I seem you recall you wiping bugs off Thelma Jane when you first got her and had no intentions of wheeling her. :)

Whether that changes for Molly Jane is irrelevant to me. Just happy to see you back in the Jeep fold. There are ALWAYS spare seats in the IAJ jeep seats if you want to ride along on the other obstacles.

-Paul
    But use microfiber cloth these days - paper towels are rough and will scratch the paint. :D
    Steve gave me the terrible news about Tidester who once co-hosted this discussion. He passed away unexpectedly in December of 2010. He was a great guy and it really sucks that he is gone.

Tom
    Gary:

I'm trying to get caught up with the posting but I have been gone so long I doubt if I will read every post that has been made in my absence. I have just been skipping around and I found this post of yours.

So, have you re-Wranglered yet? I sold Thelma Jane, believe it or not, but I have just bought a new 2012 Wrangler Sport to replace her.

Tom

Mac, Paul, and anyone else still here from "the good old days:" do you think we can get this forum back to what it used to be? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have lots of posting again? Wouldn't it be good if it became a place where friends congregate and "talk Jeep" like we used to?

Tomster

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I'm game! :)

I haven't done many mods to Kermit other than putting on a new hood and fender (flop and tree casualties!). But I have a friend who just bought a 2006 TJ Rubicon and wants ME to build it up. First order of business - Hard top off and in storage. It may get sold to fund an OME lift setup. :)

But we put on a Bestop TrektopNX - their new soft top with sunrider/sunroof feature that doesn't use any frame hardware. It was a pain to install the first time, but after a few days of sun and stretching, looks REALLY good. If they drive it to work today, I'll throw up a pic of it.

We now have about 8 Jeeps where I work ready for offroad, so we're heading to a local OHV on the 28th to try things out. They're working on getting CB's installed, so I suspect I'll be doing a bit of antenna tuning these next few weeks. LOL

-Paul
  • martyzmartyz Posts: 21
    Good to hear from you, Tom. Welcome back!
  • Seriously considering letting the JK go like Hilldweller but unlike him, while the JK has after market support unlike the CRD, I am looking elsewhere. Looks the the ball joints are finally going just after buying a new tail light that wanted to be a swmming pool. But it was only one sheet metal screw and off came the light. If to really enjoy off roading it seems one rebuilds the vehicle. And yet just street use requires too much time and money. Thankfully Blue Rubi stickered at around 35k and from a fading memory paid around 28k and three years financing with no interest. Thank goodness it didn't sticker over 40K. Had sorrowful trips to Houston lately on always unfinished I-45 as opposed to the endless trips on always unfinished I35. Took Better_Half's H3.

I hate you GM.
    Terry!

I'm back.

Thelma Jane is gone but I now have "Molly Jane," a "mall crawler." (I do not intend to beat the new Jeep all to pieces on the trails.)

Tomster

Thanks for the welcome back.

Tomster

• Considered the options.
    One loan payment remains.
    Going in to dealer service tomorrow.
  • ourjeeplifeourjeeplife Posts: 44
    For more then 4 years we regretted ever selling our 1999 Jeep Wrangler that we worked so hard on. Hand painting the camo and adding allot of simply adjustments to personalize "muffin". Spent years dreaming of when we had the doors off and just drove for days.. For some strange reason my wife wanted to get into a 2004 Jeep Commander.. this was the worse jeep we've ever had.. suffering through the issues, bad repairs and a number of misjudged upgrades.. So as of this past Monday the 30th.. we found a great deal on a used 2008 Jeep Wrangler X.. and my wife said this is be our last Jeep.. I've always said; never say never, cause you know when she sees a new jeep she'll want another one. So till then, I expect to have the doors off and replaced with soft doors, relocate the mirrors, take out the rear seat, throw all the camping gear in the back and just have fun.. again.
    Congrats on getting back into a Wrangler, ourjeeplife! Good move!

Tomster

• Thanks Nona and Shawn.

Got my jeep back from service today. Everything is right with my world. Some vehicles need more attention than others but if you bought a factory extended warranty and have a good service advisor and a good mechanic that work for a good guy like Jamie, life is a lot less complicated.
  • ourjeeplifeourjeeplife Posts: 44
    Been working very hard to get the word out.. and my efforts haven't gone unheard.. Just Yesterday got a few things from DayStar.. and a few days before some new Husky Liners mud guards.. I've been contacted by K&N, Krylon and Mequiar's but have yet to hear anything back..

The "Fallen Hero Project" is slow going.. I do have some exiting news.. Whitney my niece has offered to pose for me wearing the New DayStar 35th Anniversary t-shirt beside and in the jeep.. Although I'm not a professional photographer.. and I have a very limited camera.. I'll do my best to post images via my blog site soon after.