Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• ... and the bonus is, with street tires, you get a quieter ride, and maybe better mpg...
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Hey all

A few weeks back there was a thread on what to do about bug guts. Someone mentioned they use Meguiar's Quick Detail to get the bug guts and other debris off the front grill. I picked some up today, along with Armor All and a tire guage (all this talk about tire pressure made me curious what mine are since I haven't messed with them since picking it up a month ago). I figured I'd go with Quick Detail instead of Turtle Wax's Bug Remover or whatever it is. The latter sounded a little more heavy duty than what I needed, and the Meguiar's seemed like it would protect and enhance the wax. In reading the directions on the Quick Detail, it says to make sure you're parked somewhere in the shade and that the vehicle is cool. Is this important if I'm just wiping bugs and things off the grill? Most of the time when I notice things on there, it's right after I've been driving and it's hot. Thanks for any input!

yellowman
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I've used this product for a couple of years and it's best if you can apply it to cool paint in the shade, but if you can't... the only downside I've noticed is that it streaks a bit and may leave a slight haze. This is more noticable on dark colors, but with your yellow Jeep, you shouldn't have this problem. It doesn't take much of this stuff, so start with a small amount and hit it a second time if you need to. Be sure to turn the cloth to keep form scraping the bug carcasses across the rest of the grille. I've been hitting the front of ours before I cover it up, and it's working well on the Jeep. That flat front collects bugs like crazy!

Amazing day here, low 80's plenty of sunshine!

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I HATE those bugs that fly into the grill of my Jeep! But they won't have the guts to do it again!

The quicker you get those bug guts off the better (and easier). Go ahead and laugh at me, but I use a wet paper towel and a dry one or two and get the bug guts off whenever I get where I'm going, or at least once a day when I put Thelma in the garage for the night.

That way, I don't have to use any kind of bug remover stuff.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? (His butt!)
  • saharanutsaharanut Posts: 134
    Your just too much...
    you carry paper towels with you...to wipe off the bugs...dude I think you need counceling..
    You just too much...
    Ok now I'm confused about this PSI thing..
    do you go by whats on the tire...or in the
    manual..
    anyway the is the 21st century...why do we need tires we should be driving rocket cars by now..

Have a Jeep weekend guys!!
    Snut
    Terry
    Howdy

Well, measured the pressure using my new tire guage and it looks to be at 39 all around. Seems kinda high, huh? This was measured after driving awhile, though. I'll try it again tonight when they're "cool" then make a decision on airing down.

yellowman
    Howdy! I recall you ordered the duravent full cover recently. I have it too but haven't used it yet (was waiting for the wash which came today). Did you remove your antenna to measure where to cut the hole? I looked at my antenna and tried to unscrew it but I concluded that it either (1) doesn't unscrew or (2) is screwed in really tight right now. I'd like to remove it to measure the hole, but I also don't want to damage it. Any ideas?

yellowman
    I didn't cut any hole! That antenna is flexible enough to bend back toward the windshield when you put the cover on- just lift the cover and reach in and push the antenna back.

If you cut a hole, then you're gonna let some water in under the cover.

tsjay

Sounds good to me - just curious because the cover instructions say not to do that, but then again they weren't working with a JEEP! I guess I'll use the bend-an-antenna method. Can't argue with a man who carries paper towels everywhere he goes in the name of Thelma Jane's grille!

yellowman
    That's where you messed up! Don't you know that you should NEVER read instructions? That's un-American!

tsjay

• Ok so after some hard core time in the think tank i came up with the name "Apollo" sounds pretty good right? it has a strong sound to it. anyway... i've been noticing the bug guts alot and i've had the baby for 3 days now why is it that the bugs seem to suicide dive onto my jeep and not onto the old cougar?? anyway....someone help me with this delemna..... i want soo badly to take the doors off, but in doing so all the paint will scrape off of the bolt or whatever. so is there a bushing or anything that you can use so that the paint doesnt scrape off? someone help me!
    I've noticed that, aside from bugs getting squashed on the grill, many small bugs like to land on the body (hood and doors) and just hang out. I don't know if they're eating the wax or the clearcoat or they like the yellow color or what. These are small bugs - maybe 1/4 the size of a fly or smaller. I brush them off when I see them, hopefully they're not doing any damage.

yellowman
    Hey, I don't know of any way to get those door hinge nuts off without scratching the paint off the corners of them. As particular as I am about Thelma Jane's appearance, I still bit the bullet and took the doors off anyway.

I tried putting a rag over those nuts the first time I took them off, but it didn't help much, if any at all.

It is just so cool to go doorless that I went ahead and took them off, even though it was taking the paint off the nuts. There's always touch up paint!

Now, let me caution you to be sure to come straight up with the doors when you lift them off the hinges! Those threads are exposed when you take the nuts off, and those babies can scratch your paint on the fenders as the door comes up. I found out the hard way, unfortunately. I didn't scratch Thelma too badly, but it still made me sick that I scratched her at all. Some touch up paint fixed the spot pretty well.

The doors are much heavier than you would think they would be, so be prepared for that. Just go very slowly with the whole process. Be careful about what kind of wrench you use too. One slip of the wrench could mean a scratch in your paint.

It takes a 13 mm wrench for the door hinge nuts, and I used a boxed end wrench for that job.

Also, don't forget to take the fuse out for the overhead light. It's number 4 in your fuse panel, which is located behind the glove box. It is the bottom fuse in the right hand column of fuses. The light will stay on a few seconds after you pull the fuse, cause it works on a delay.

I bought a pair of door bags from Quadratec to store the doors in while they are off the Jeep. It's worth the money to know that they are well protected. I think they were about $100.

Good Luck!

tsjay

Hey, Jeep Buddies! Thelma Jane has now been topless and doorless for a solid week. No rain, can you believe it?

I gave her a bath today, even though she didn't look a bit dirty. I wanted to see how tough it would be to wash her without getting her wet inside with the top and doors off. It was no problem at all- just had to be careful with the spray.

I hope I can make it another week with no top and no doors. What a blast it is to drive her like that!

tsjay

• jeepheadjeephead Posts: 49
    In regards to my Jeep colors: I have a Patriot Blue with the gray interior. I have a few pictures of her after getting all muddy, but none of the interior (Those aren't developed yet, either). I will snag a digital camera from work to take a few pics. I plan on putting a web site up with some pictures and details. I will let you know the address once it is ready! I wasn't sold on any particular color, but I am VERY happy with the Patriot Blue. (The only color I didn't like very well was black and green, because they are so common.) I like the Blue over the Red by far. I wasn't sure between the tan and black top, or the gray or tan interior, but I am pretty happy with the gray interior and black top. Hope this helps!

JeepHead
    You lucky dog! The weather here has been nice, but not nice enough to run topless the whole week. I haven't had the doors off yet, but plan on doing so soon. I've driven home 3 times this past week with the top down... it felt awesome! I have an hour drive, and for the first time in a long while, I haven't minded the drive. I can't figure out why...

JeepHead
    I would like to add a trailer hitch and tow hooks to my Jeep. Are there any opinions about whether to go with dealer installed hooks/hitch, or are there some really good after market options? Also, what kind of price range (product/install) do these run? Thanks for any help you can give.

JeepHead
    Do you have the full metal doors? If you have the half doors, are you still planning to take them off? Just curious.

I think if Thelma Jane had the half doors, I would still take them off. It's sure a great feeling driving around wihout the top and the doors!

Once again, congrats on getting that Jeep!

tsjay

I have the full metal doors, and I plan on taking them off sometime soon. With driving an hour each way every day, I don't want to risk it just yet. I used to hate the look of the full doors on Jeeps with the top down, but it is really growing on me. I like the ability to switch between top on/top off and be able to take everything with you. However, I want to take the doors off for awhile as well. I have some vacation time coming up, when I can take the doors off and park in the garage in case it rains. I have a friend with a YJ that never puts the top up... can't see to doing that just yet!

JeepHead
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    I think the dealer tow hooks are better for most because it lets you keep those little rubber bumpers on the front, and they have already kept me from 2 low-speed bumps that would have cost some $$. you can get them for $44 or so at www.jparts.com. The factory rear tow hook is good and pretty much the only thing going but it's a rip at $100 or so. I bought mine used on ebay for $20 from someone who was putting on a factory hitch, which brings me to another point: you can't have a regular rear tow hook and a hitch at the same time, though you can get a plug-in tow hook for the hitch itself.