Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, where are all of my buddies? Has this piece of crap new system caused everyone to go away?

Goducks1, texasjeep, onlyinajeep, and all the rest of you guys, let's hear from you! I've seen 2001wrangler, dragonfly03, spyrodragon, and maybe a couple other's posts since this fiasco started, so some of us are hanging in here. I hope we don't lose anyone.

I just lost another post. I was asking for some imporatant advice, and I'm trying again. Here it is: how far can you drive in four wheel drive on roads that are wet but not slick without hurting anything in the drivetrain?

I was in a situation this morning, after about a two inch snow last night, where I would be on solid snow cover, on then almost completely bare, wet pavement, and then back on solid snow every few hundred yards. You don't really need to shift in and out of four wheel drive in that situation, I hope???

Let's hear from my experienced Jeeper buddies!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Crap! If you scroll up the page to read some older messages and then come back to the end of the discussions, you've lost your ability to post. You then have to click on "log in" and then go back to the SUV list and then back to Wrangler IV from there!

Anyway, I DID see a couple posts that I had forgotten about. It seems that onlyinajeep and chefrkm are still with us. Good! Now, how about the rest of you regulars?

Chefrkm, how about that top? What are you going to do? Unless you are truly, truly happy having a black top and tan interior, make those idiots get you a tan top like you originally wanted!

tsjay
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    I have a six cylinder 1999 Sport with the Hardtop and the auto transmission. When I ordered it, I specified the standard 28 inch tires and the standard 3.07 rear end.

I checked RPMs at 55 MPH this morning; the tach reading was just over 2000.

I understand that the six cylinder engine was redesigned for 2000 and is advertised as quieter than the previous version. Does anyone have any background on the new engine? Any comments on reliability, performance, fuel economy, other...?

Thanks,

John Thurlow
  • tmolnartmolnar Member Posts: 4
    There is a strange and scary problem I'm having with my '91 YJ, I-6, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, otherwise stock. 4wd works well uphill, 4H or 4L, climbs like a billy-goat. When going downhill, I put it in 4L 1st gear and let it idle down the hill it just lets go for a couple of seconds kinda free-wheeling then catches up again without me doing anything. The whole time it stays in 1st gear, doesn't pop out with the wheels turning not skidding. It feels like if I just press in the clutch for a second then let it out again. Needless to say this scared the s* out of me and it seems to be pretty consistent. First I thought that it was the clutch cause it seems to grab a little too quick, - it's hard to do a smooth engagement - but I couldn't get it to slip on level ground or uphill. Another thing is, that this seems to happen when the idle drops to really low as the downhill eases out and the engine almost stalls for a second until it catches back up. Could it be that because of the too low idle the vacuum drops in the front disconnect disengaging it, making it run in 2wd temporarily (half the braking power on only the rear axle) ? I'm going to check on this theory with some more testing with somebody walking along and watching for this when the weather is better. Any other clues ? This is the last thing I need to fix to make it run like a champ! Please help. Thanks.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Another good Jeep website I have came across is
    www.tj-list.org
    Lots of pictures of members TJ's!!
    If anyone can get a post to show up, please answer my question about driving in four wheel drive on bare, wet pavement.

What are you supposed to do when you are driving on a road that goes from snow covered to bare and back to snow covered every mile or so. You don't really have to keep shifting into and out of four wheel drive do you? Do you just forgo four wheel drive and stay in two wheel drive under these condtions, or do you just leave it in four wheel drive until you are out of the snow altogether?

Thanks

tsjay

• borumaboruma Member Posts: 1
    Must sell my '89 Islander. Have invested about 12K since purchase 2 years ago: put in a reran. 152 I-6, new AX-15 5-speed, had the transfer case rebuild, new soft top, new water pump, brakes, etc., etc. Basically, there isn't much else that can break on it. Exterior is like-new, interior is excellent. Have 101,000 miles on the do, about 25,000 on the new drive train.

Average dealer cost around Northern Ohio, per Kelly's and Edmunds, for a vehicle with this mileage WITHOUT any enhancements is about $7500. What's a fair price for this one?

Thanks!
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I am not sure if I did something I was not sopposed to, but it was really icy here last week and I drove it in 4H with no problems. I was driving on a hard flat surface with partial ice. I know it was not icy all over, but I left it in 4H just in case. Anyone have any thoughts on this..

alex

www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/
  • batlinbatlin Member Posts: 4
    I was curious as to where you got the skull knob for your gearshift? I have been wanting one for a while but have no idea where to find one

Thanks
    Kurt
    Auto zone in dallas on beltline
    they are also carried at JC Whitney, they might not be on the site, but in the catalogs they always are.

Type "Skull gearshift knob" in any search engine and you will have many to choose from. Some light up and change color.

most under 30 bucks
    try www.flameball.com
  • 00windshield00windshield Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Wrangler last Oct. and now the right windshield wiper freezes up to the point that I can't see out of the window. I even have it on high and defrost only and it still does it. I work about 40 miles from home and have to stop twice to clear it off just to be able to see. Is this a problem any one else has?? I am ready to trade mine because the service tech says it works fine and I just have to live with it. I love everything else on my Jeep, but it is very dangerous. Any suggestions????
    Myself, I would recommend staying in 2H as long as you can get by with it. I do not like to be in 4WD on dry pavement at all. I had a 4x4 Chevy for 4 yrs, a GMC for 2 yrs and this is always the way I approached driving in such conditions as you were speaking. Nothing to back this up, but I don't think it is good on the equipment to drive in 4H on any surface which does not allow the wheels to spin somewhat.
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I have tried to post several time over the last few days. I cant belivew what a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] it is to post. Every time I have some thing to write about it screws me over and I loose my post!

Tsjay: I picked up my Jeep on Dec 11th, my Birthday. What a -Day gift. I am totally enjoying it. We are supposed to get snow over the next day or two, about 5 - 7". The Jeep is really looking forward to it.. Well I bet this wont even post.. I'll try it anyway.....
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I cant belive it actually posted a message. Good to be back!!!!Good Night everyone
    Thanks for your response. I wish Wranglers had a full time four wheel drive mode. The '99 Grand Cherokee I had did have this feature. I had the SelecTrac system, which allowed you to choose a full time four wheel drive mode, which was ideal for intermittent slick spots.

I am hoping for the best in trying to post this message. Have you read the "software questions answered" section on the welcome page? They give you some tips there about how to cope with the bugs until they get them worked out.

I guess I'll follow your advice next time I am in that situation. I sure don't want to screw up my Jeep! I guess the secret is to just slow down and use two wheel drive when the snow cover isn't solid enough to be in four wheel drive (Ok, I know you need to slow down, even if you are in four wheel drive, but I just meant that you should just use two wheel drive and be even more cautious.).

Well let's see if this post is going to go through.

tsjay
    Welcome back! Hope you get that snow you are looking forward to.

I am hoping for a good snow later this week. There's a storm system due to arrive here in western Ky. on Thursday, I believe.

You didn't say what you are going to do about the top. Are you making them get you a tan top?

tsjay
  • drjeepdrjeep Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I bought my FIRST Jeep just in September, and I LOVE IT. Although, it only is the second car that I've owned (last one being a Sidekick "91") I truly LOVE this car, sorry I meant TRUCK:)

She's a 91, I-6, 5spd, black with tan top(soft and hard). As a student this was beyond the financial limits I had set, however the over-time work which I had to do in order to get her was all worth it!
    I live in Montreal(yap, a kid from north-of-the-border) and winter is already here! we got about 15" of snow last week and it was AMAZING!!! the car handled as if there was NO snow!?! Which leads me to a couple of questions that I had.

Does the front diff. lock up when in 4WD H &/or L. B/c when I drove inside an indoor parking last week (forgot to shift out of 4WD-H)and tryed to make a sharp turn to park the car started shaking violently and wouldn't move!I had to put her back in 2WD and then everything was good. also, I know I'm supposed to stop completely for 4WD-L but what is the speed limit that you can sift in and out of 4WD-H.
    and lastly I feel a cold draft around my feet and it gets worse when i drive especially in the highway. i countered the problem by putting the heater on full blast, but that's not fixing the problem. i've looked and wasn't able to find anything. Does anyone know where the source might be?

Any other suggestions/tips that i should be aware of as a new jeeper is appreciated.

Thanx a million in advance:)

P.S. "drjeep!?!" I wanted JeepBoy but apparently someone already has that name:(
    You guys can get this info in the "Software Questions Answered" section on the "Welcome Page." But, here is some of it for you.

To preserve your message before you try to post it, in case it doesn't go through, just type "control-a" while your cursor is still in the message box. This will highlight your message. Then hit "conrol-c," and this will copy your message. Go ahead and try to post the message, but if it gets lost, you can get back to WranglerIV from the Welcome Page, and try it again. Just put your cursor back in the message box, and then type "control-v." Your message will be pasted back into the message box. The whole message will actually be there, but you won't see the first part, if it is a long post. Type in your message header again, and then try to post again. You can repeat this until you finally get the message posted.

The quicker you get from the welcome page and write your message, the better the chance that your post will go through the first time. There's some kind of screwed up time out on your log in that is causing the posts to disappear. Your log in is timing out , even though you don't get any warning that this has happened.

Come on everybody. Suck it up and keep trying to post! I miss all of you guys.

tsjay

• slpmomslpmom Member Posts: 11
    i tried to post this once before, but am not sure what happened to it.... we just bought a new/used '98 wrangler sport with less than 1900 (not a typo) miles on it for $16,500. to all of you wrangler experts...did we get a good deal???
    the guy that we bought it from had 6 vehicles and had purchased this one as a "toy". he found that he didn't drive it and wanted to sell it.

after a month of owning it, we love it, but the wind noise on highway trips gets to my husband. would it be worth buying a hard top for the winter? also, we had some trouble trying to take the soft top off (we were just playing) and decided to wait until the snow clears and we want some sunshine and wind in our hair.

happy holidays......
    anyone know of another message board thet is better than this one?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Jeepsunlimited.com

go to forums and then to wrangler
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I think a soft top is easy to put on and off, once you learn how.
    Why do you want a hardtop? Because of the cold or noise?
    You can buy a hardtop and use it year around and only take it off when you want to go topless.
    00windshield
    I have never had this problem, but it does not get that cold down here. Is the wiper freezing and no longer moving?
    Manual vs. Auto
    It is personal preference both for off-roading and pavement driving.
    I would get which ever one you prefer. It also depends what kind of pavement and off-roading you do. If you drive in a lot of traffic you may want to get an auto. The manual is good off-roading with compression braking and lower first gear. The auto you won't have to change gears and can be better for crawling over rocks. The auto does not have the high end power of the 5 spd and it also does not have an overdrive.
    Hey, goducks1, where are you? Haven't heard a peep (or a quack for that matter) out of you in ages.

Are you too put out with this new system to try to post? Come on and let us hear from you.

One thing you could do for old tsjay is answer my question about driving in four wheel drive when the road keeps changing from snow covered to bare and back to snow covered every half a mile or a mile. Is it hurting anything to drive in four wheel drive under these conditions? I know you aren't supposed to drive in four wheel drive unless you are offroad or on slippery pavement, but what about the situation I described when you are back and forth all the time?

Our buddy 2001wrangler thinks you should just stay in two wheel drive in a situation like that. What do you say?

tsjay
    Have you posted any pictures yet? Maybe I just missed them...
  • jazzinazjazzinaz Member Posts: 1
    have trouble with my 88 w/ 2 bl carter. replaced it in 1994. then had it rebuilt about 3 years ago. also had air tubes on emmisions changed and now it is running bad again. must do another rebuild on carburetor. it runs okay at speed, although it misses. when engine is at temperature, it stops every time i come to idle and must throttle up to keep from stalling. has anyone had these problems and what was your result. was told rust is flaking off air cleaner and i should cad plate it. sounds like a factory fix to me, not an owner fix. thanks
    Hi 2001!

I don't have any pictures of Thelma yet. I have taken a few, but that roll of film is still in the camera. She is so nasty now that I don't want to take any more pictures until she gets cleaned up. Our weather hasn't allowed me to clean her up, and I sure do not intend to let anyone else wash her unless I am standing there supervising. I much prefer to wash her myself.

The roads have been nasty ever since I got Thelma, except just the first two or three days. I wish we would either get a REAL snow of several inches (the more the better) or that the weather would warm up and the roads would be clear again. It's killing me seeing her that dirty and not being able to do anything about it.

Don't worry, 2001, when I get that film developed, I will be posting some pictures. I took one of her before I had ever even sat in her at the dealership where I bought her. I took two or three more there also, but that is it. I just haven't had much of a chance to take any more when she was clean.

Well, I'll sign off for now. Sure hope we get some good postiing going on! That trick about control-a, control-c, and control-v really works. I know I'll have to use it on this post, since it's been too long since I was on the welcome page.

tsjay

spyrodragon
    There is a lot of different undercarraige protection that you can get. There are diff, LCA, steering box, tie rod, engine, transfer case, gas tank and rocker panel skids. There are probably others out there and all different kinds for these listed. It also depends on the kind of off-roading you do.
    I would get a www.kilbyenterprises.com gas tank skid, www.rustysoffroad.com steering box skid and www.skid-row.com engine skid. I have never heard of anyone moving their exhaust tip. It is not that big of a deal for it to go under water for a while, you just don't want the water to travel all the way up into the engine. I would think you are more likely to scrap the flimsy stock gas tank skid before the exhaust tip, but hitting the exhaust does happen.
    Hope that helps
    We don't have any snow or ice here but I don't think you would need 4wd on the highway with snow. Just drive cautiously. I guess if the snow is packed, you can get some slick spots and some ice.
    Although, I think if you are just driving straight and not doing any turning it may not cause any damage to be in 4wd Hi.
    Have you looked at going to Camp Jeep or any of the Jeep Jamborees?
    I have thought about going to a jamboree sometime. I think it would be very informative and a lot of fun too. Plus, I could meet some "Jeep people."

How about you? Ever been to one? Tell us about it, if you have.

tsjay
    I did a little experiment on the way home from work. I got my speed up to 65 in fourth gear, which is supposed to be a 1:1 gear ratio, just like third gear in the automatic. My RPM's were about 2800. I then shifted into fifth gear while maintaining 65 mph and my RPM's dropped to about 2125 (the markings on the tach are for every 250 RPM's, and it looked like I was exactly in the middle between 2000 and 2250). That's a heck of a difference, and it makes me feel even better about getting a 5-speed.

I have the 30" tires and Dana 3.73 rear end, so if you try this yourself, it may not be the same, unless your Jeep is set up the same as mine.

tsjay
    I just looked in my Jeep Wrangler brochure, and the gear ratio for 5th gear with the 4.0 L engine is 0.78:1. So, if I was doing 2800 RPM's in fourth gear, which is 1:1, then I should have been doing 78% as many RPM's in 5th gear, which calculates to 2184 RPM. You can't read the tach right down to the single RPM, so I was about right in estimating 2125.

tsjay
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Thanks Texasjeep for your input on the skidplates. So what exactly do lockers do? what are the ARB and Detroit lockers? I havn't done too much research on this because I'm not ready to take that kind of an upgrade yet. So I figured I'd ask anyone here who knows. How do you disconnect the sway bar? and do I need or should do this? TSJAY, looking forward to those pictures... and don't worry about dirty jeep pics. It's a jeep, it looks good dirty. :) Thanks all.
    Lockers will lock your differential. If the weight of your vehicle transfers to one side the power goes to the wheel without the weight (or resistance). But you want the power to go to the wheel with the weight because it has the best traction. Lockers will make both wheels turn at the same speed. So it does not matter if one wheel is in the air, both will turn. There are lots of lockers out and different kinds. The stock trac-lok tries to accomplish this to some degree. It is a limited slip though and not a locker. ARB air locker is a locker that you can engage and disengage. Great lockers but expensive and can have a lot of malfunctions if not properly installed. Detroit lockers are almost always engaged which is not ideal for a daily driver. I am looking at the new manual lockers by http://www.oxtrax.com/ . You have to buy sway bar disconnects or make your own to disconnect easily. If the trail is rough it is worth disconnecting. It Helps keep your wheels on the ground in rough terrain, which gives you better traction.
    This is the best I can explain it.
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Your awesome Texasjeep! just thought you might like to know.
    Here's a test of my new photopoint account.

These are pictures of the Grand Prix I traded for Thelma Jane and the Granddog I wouldn't trade for ANYTHING IN THE WORLD.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1390023&a=10565856

hope this works

tsjay

It works! Thanks, texasjeep, for putting me onto photopoint.

The doggy is my best friend in the whole wide world. His name is Ross Allen Johnson (that's right, he has a middle name). My daughter got him at the dog pound five years ago when he was eight weeks old, and "Grandpa" loved him from day one! My daughter is married and gone, but Grandpa got to keep Ross Allen (otherwise there would have been a major fight).

tsjay
    Thelma Jane is going back tomorrow to the dealer where I bought her!
    (To be washed, that is)

The dealer was kind enough to offer me use of their wash facilities, and since I'm off work tomorrow, I am taking her over there to wash her and wax her!

I don't care if she gets filthy before we get back home (it's a 45 mile trip), at least I'll get to see her clean for a while and I will get some wax on her.

I'll take some more pictures too. I need to get that roll of film exposed and sent off.

Somebody POST! This place is too boring lately.

tsjay
    tsjay Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Your Jeep may runaway if you don't give it enough attention.
    By the way I like your line.
    Photopoint is real easy to use. I need to do a website someday though.
    When you first talked about your "Granddog" and "not trading it for the world", I thought you were refering to your Jeep at first. LOL

Jeep Jamborees
    I have been to one Jeep Jamboree. The one I went to was real easy so that was kindof disappointing. I have signed up for another one and may do another one next year. The main reason I am doing those is because they are on private land and I want to check out that land.
    They are expensive. Atleast 200 bucks a person. I think it is worth it atleast once. I liked meeting other Jeep people from all over the country and checking out their Jeeps. Camp Jeep sounds cool, but I have never been. It is family oriented and they show first time off-roaders a lot of the basics. They also have something called Jeep 101. I don't know much about it though. This site has some info
    http://www.jeepunpaved.com/woj/jamborees/index.html

spyrodragon
    Tell me something I don't know already. j/k
    I guess what I wrote made some sense.
  • toon1toon1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the photos over in Prix. Not much happening over there. If you ever get tired of Ross Allen, send him to me. What a beautiful boy! Go hug your jeep!!
  • sthugginssthuggins Member Posts: 13
    I had a 2000 vr6 jetta that was a piece! VW bought it back from me. I got my sahara yesterday. I have done so much research that I called a dealer made one offer over the phone and picked it up after work. I got a 2001 white sahara w/ dual tan tops, and auto "at no charge". the sticker on it was 26,255. I got it out the door tax, tags, and everything for 23,800. I feel I got a really good deal. I woke up this morning and it's snowing!!!!!! I had a 93 wrangler before this one. I got rid of it last december 24th. one year w/ out a wrangler was too long.
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    I'd wash the mud off Sparx, if it'd only the temperature would get above freezing!

Alee and Sparx
    Praise the LAWD! I got Thelma Jane cleaned up AND WAXED today.

I didn't go back to the dealer like I was planning to do, but I found a detail shop near home that could work Thelma in today.

The guy gave her a real good bath and waxed her for $25.00. I gave him $30.00 instead, and I think that was a real bargain at that.

She is BEAUTIFUL again! I finished the roll of film that I was working on by taking a few more shots of Thelma Jane, and I will be sending the film off today. Maybe by the end of next week I will be able to post some pics of her!

I'm with you on washing a vehicle myself. I don't mind the work at all and actually enjoy it. But, we haven't even had temperatures above freezing for the last ten days or so, and I don't have a heated garage.

Catch you later. Hope you get Sparx cleaned up soon.

tsjay

Good to hear from you again, my friend!

How's it going? I have peace of mind now, cause Thelma's looking good.

I'm really anxious to post some pics of her, and I'm hoping they will be ready by the end of next week.

Later

tsjay
    I forgot to tell you, but ,yes, I HAVE hugged Thelma Jane today.

Whenever I park her for the last time each day, I put my cheek on the side of her hard top, pat her gently, and tell her Daddy will see her later.

tsjay

I have hugged my Jeep today
    Congrats on the Shara!

I would say welcome back, but I wasn't around a year ago when you were a Jeep owner. I am a rookie, having owned a Jeep only a couple weeks myself. My Thelma Jane is also white, but she has a black hard top, and she is a Sport.

It does sound like a real deal you got! Way to go!

I bought Thelma Jane for $200.00 over invoice, so I didn't do too bad.

I hope you will be a prolific poster. I am a wratchet jaw and love it when people post a lot. If you look back the last several pages, you will see that about half the posts or more are mine. I love this group and hope to get other people to post more. I promise I'll cut back on my posting if we can get some other people fired up.

tsjay
    Here's another link to some of my pictures. I thought some of you might want to see more of my granddog, but I need the practice anyway.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1390023&a=10575387

tsjay
    tsjay-
    This is what your Jeep could look like in a year with some modifications!! I do not know who the owner is, but I came across this home page from http://www.rockcrawler.com They have loads of pics of readers Jeeps!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=647321&a=6314074

Could this be Thelma Jane's dad??