Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I have been hand washing Thelma Jane this morning and decided to take a break before beginning the job of cleaning her up inside.

Thought I would see if there were any new posts here.

I got more mud inside Thelma this time than ever before. They had had a rain at Turkey Bay before I got there yesterday, and the main trail was wet. Since I drive a little faster on the main trail than on the side trails, the tires were throwing mud up the side of Thelma more than usual. No problem, just a little exra work for her clean up this time.

Let's have some posting! I invited a guy that has an XJ to come here and told him he could still post here once in a while, even though he has an XJ. I told him that there is also an XJ message board here in the Jeep Owners Club.

If you see a post from IndyXJ, give him a nice Wrangler welcome, OK?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    mcnnt--I have to disagree with tsjay. There are plenty of reasons not to buy a Wrangler. There are a lot of compromises that you seem to be aware of already, so you'll have to consider those on a personal level--the increase noise, rough ride, poor gas mileage etc. On the ones you have questions about: I've driven my Wrangler in plenty of snow in the Oregon Cascades and never had any problem with traction or "swapping ends." Get the trac-lok limited slip differential and you have a great winter vehicle, especially with the hard top.

Soft vs hard top--if you want to ever get the hard top, order it as an option, never afterwards. We're talking a $600 option vs close to $2000 as an ordered part, plus they will have to do wiring for the defroster/wiper. The new soft tops are supposed to be just as quiet, but they are of course less secure and the windows can get grimy in the winter.

A Wrangler can be a lot to live with as a daily driver. Everyone warned me not get another one after I sold my (stripped-down) 94 Wrangler. I went for it anyway, and don't regret my decision. It's a really, really great vehicle. Most of all, I never hated making car payments on it. Remember the golden rule of car financing:

"Thou shall not make car payments on a vehicle you dislike."

The point being that you have to pay for this thing for 3-5 years. You may love it initially, but will you love it later? Most people who buy jeeps seem to still like them years down the road.

aztjboy--congrats and welcome! Sounds like a great Jeep.
  • lawdawgfllawdawgfl Member Posts: 75
    Yesterday I was channel surfing and on the History Channel there was an hour dedicated to the Jeep and its origin, starting with the Bantam Automobile company to Willys to even Ford making the Jeep. It was very interesting and took it all the way to the present day Wrangler.

I went by the Jeep dealer to dream and make vroom vroom noises behind the wheel. The dealer had a couple of new Jeeps with lift kits added at the dealer, they also came with a tire package and one had new bumpers plus side rails, they looked good. Would this void the warranty though?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have "Generations" articles on the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, but nothing on the Wranglers :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    They are lousy in the wind, which REALLY kills your gas mileage even more than usual. The steering that is so good off-road is too quick for really high speed driving, and with the influence of even a little bit of wind, you will either find your gas consumption going through the roof or doing what I do - driving slower (like never over 70, if I can help it).

I have a '98 Sport that I bought new in '98. It has a hard top that has never been off (for many reasons). I love it dearly! I did get it stuck when we had 30 inches of snow in one night, which actually turned out to be a good thing. It got stuck in the road outside our driveway, which meant that all we did was go inside and wait for daylight to dig it out. Otherwise, it handles our mountain snow and ice very well.

aztjboy - congrats on the new X. My husband and I have gone round and round trying to decide what to get to replace our hated 2000 Tacoma and often come back to the idea of getting another X. Might easily do something like what you did by getting standard tires. You can put chains on them, where you can't use chains with the 30" tires. When we first bought it I didn't care because we were "flatlanders." However, after spending so many weekends up in the mountains doing light wheeling, we decided to save ourselves time on Saturday mornings and just move there. Now I think about things like chains or snow tires or... Have fun with your new TJ.
    Boy, where have ya disappeared to? No posts here and no visits to the chat room at Gills. :(

Tom

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Thanks to all those who took the time to respond to my post. I think part of what worries me about buying a Wrangler is that I have in the past bought a vehicle that I thought was great, only to have the "greatness" wear off in short order and then want to trade. Like Tsjay, I am a habitual car swapper (usally get the itch every 18 months to trade). The only vehicle I have kept any amount of time is my '95 Firebird (my 2nd one!) which I have had since early '97. Obviously, trading cars frequently in not conducive to good financial health. Guess I'm worried that the downfalls of a Jeep would in short order overshadow the "fun" benefits, and I would find myself asking: "Why did I buy this?". Anyways, my wife is actually encouraging me to consider buying a used one we found a couple weeks ago. She traded her '98 Cavalier back in November for an '01 Blazer and says she'll never go back to a car. The used Jeep we found is an 2001 Sport, AC, cruise, tilt, CD (but no subwoofer), 5speed, Grizzly wheels, full doors, and a soft top. It's got about 23K on it, and I could pick it up for about $17,500. I initially didn't consider it an option because it's Solar Yellow, but I must admit the color is starting to grow on me a bit. The throwout bearing growls when you don't have the clutch pressed in, but I assume that would be covered under warranty. It's at a dealership that my brother in law works at as a mechanic, so I could get him to inspect it for me. Does this sound like a pretty good deal to you folks? Does anyone know how to decipher option codes so I can figure out if it is equipped with Trac-Lok or ABS? I appreciate all responses!
    Nice to have you in Gills with us tonight, Marcus!

The growl in neutral with the clutch out is not a problem: it's just a quirk of that tranny. They ALL do it. There is a TSB on it, but all it does is help reduce the amount of noise transmitted into the cabin, and it does nothing to eliminate the source of the noise. I decided not to even pursue it.

I have heard that you can give the dealer the VIN on a vehicle and they can get you a copy of the build sheet, which would show all he stuff originally included from the factory.

You'll defintitely want to get an after market sub for that radio. The Jeep radios have absolutely NO bass without that little 8" sub.

As far as not being sure about how happy you will be down the road, all I can give you there is my own personal experiece. I have owned every type of vehicle out there, and I have been very excited about most of them initially, only to lose that enthusiasm after a few months. But... that sure ain't the case with Thelma Jane! I have owned her over a year and a half, and I swear I am just as excited over her now as I was when I first got her! I haven't even come close to getting car trading fever since getting her.

The only thing I want to caution you about is that you get the Jeep that you really want to start with. If you aren't sure about that color, or anything else about that Jeep, then you might want to wait and order a new one so that you get EXACTLY what you want. That's what I did. The other way of looking at a used one, though, is that they hold their value so well, you could keep it a year or so and wouldn't lose too much if you traded for a new one at that time.

Hope ya get the right Jeep and that you will find it to be all you hoped for and even more. That was sure true in my case. I had very high expectations, and Thelma Jane exceeded them by a mile!

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    mcrrt, Tom's right about the throwout bearing (ours is relatively noisy with the clutch out) and getting the options list from DC if you have the VIN. You may even be able to call their customer service and get the info over the phone. If that doesn't work, you can check the following... On the rear differential cover, you will see a metal tag attached to one of the bolts. It will end in a series of numbers that represent the gear ratio installed 307 = 3.07; 373 = 3.73, etc. If there is a tag that says "friction modifier required" then it has the factory trac-loc installed. No tag = open diff.

As far as ABS, if you see the ABS indicator light up right after the Jeep is started than it should have it. You can also look under the hood and in the tray right below the brake master cyl. If the tray is empty, probably no ABS, if there is a metal pump looking thing, that's likely the ABS unit. DC should be able to answer all of you questions though; don't blindly trust the dealer...

Good luck in the search.

aztj - CONGRATS on the new Jeep. Sounds like a good deal on a great Jeep. You'll have a blast. I noticed you were in Phoenix. You've got some great areas to get that Jeep offroad. Check out stu-offroad.com for the best private Jeep site I've seen. He's in your neck of the woods and can probably recommend some good trails to run as well as get you connected with some people to wheel with. Before jumping into a lift and other modifications, take a little time to see how you'll use the Jeep and what kind of mods make the most sense for your part of the country and wheeling locations. Assuming that you'll stay with 31"-33" tires, the OME kit would be a good one to look at. It's a bit more money than other lifts in the price range, but it's a quality product (mine should be on sometime in Aug.). I have yet to find anyone that isn't satisfied with their OME for what it is (2.5-3" lift). I've talked to a few people that run 33's with the addition of a body lift. When you do start going offroad, my suggestion for a relatively inexpensive start is to get your recovery gear (hooks and at least one strap), safety gear (first aid, fire extinguisher, CB, cell phone), and some sway bar disconnects. For a couplke hundred bucks, you'll be amazed at what your Jeep can do. If you find yourself playing in the rocks, add armor (rocker protection, gas tank, oil pan, steering box) as needed for the trails you want to run. After you take your Jeep offroad a bit, you'll get to see other peoples setups and what you like/dislike. For us, it was about a year and a half of "almost stock" before we started thinking about tires/lifts, etc. Our Jeep will remain very mildly built as it still sees plenty of time on pavement. Your long wait will be well worth it. As I've said before, my only regret about the Jeep is not getting one sooner...

-twylie
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    For info on lifts, tires, rims, etc., I'd suggest you look at:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=50

I finally joined the forum, and have had lots of answers and info. It is up to one's self to sort out the BS from what seems accurate. It is usually easy to spot.

My advice? Wait a while before making any more purchases. It will give you time to meet people and do things with your jeep, and maybe then you'll have a better idea of what you want, OR, your wants might change from what they might be now. The stock jeep as it is is very capable and fun.

also info on alarms there.

(I saw an example of "the club" attached to what was left of a steering wheel at the local auto place. I guess they just saw off that section of steering wheel instead of the club, and remove the club with the wheel.)
    "We did, however, see plenty of buffalo dung (does that count?)."

You're not BS'ing us, are ya?

;-)
    First, welcome!

Second: "2-IF I do get a Wrangler, it would see duty in delightful Michigan winters. I have heard people say that Wranglers love to swap ends in snow and ice. Even with 4WD engaged, are they that bad? Should I consider the Trac-Lok and ABS a "must have"?"

Snow and ice are one of the REASONS I bought my Wrangler. Unfortunately, we didn't see much snow in Mass. last winter. Hopefully, we'll get clobbered this year (skier).
    The soft top is great in cold weather.

I got a used hard top for $650 because I was afraid of the weight of snow being a problem. Unfortunately, I never got to test it last year (see prior post).
    "...The dealer had a couple of new Jeeps with lift kits added at the dealer, they also came with a tire package and one had new bumpers plus side rails, they looked good. Would this void the warranty though?"

What brand lift kits and stuff? I doubt it would void the warranty if the dealer installed it.
    I have only owned it for one year.

I am assuming the previous owner never did it. Perhaps so, but I am leery.

I guess maybe it is due for a coolant change and to check diffy fluids also.

Can't think of any other maint type stuff for now.
    Oh, a side question. What plugs do people like for their TJ's? I don't want to go with
    Splitfires, or platinum, but just basic plugs. Champion OK? Autolite? Or is there a preferred one? What about temperature ratings? Thanks.

P.S. (I submitted this post a few days ago, but just found out it was deleted for an error. I did not know there was such a term as "masked profanity". I changed a few letters of a word to protect innocent eyes, and that was still not enough. PC-ism run amok!)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We try to maintain a welcoming site for everyone, and don't want people reading at work or in front of their kids to be needlessly embarrassed at something untoward that flops up in a post. If that bugs you, we'll gladly refund your registration fees :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Didn't you see I fixed it up?

I thought that would have shown my intention to conform and fit in with the crowd.

;-)
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    aztjboy
    Congrats on the new Jeep. Sounds nice.

lawdawgfl
    Every Jeep dealer handles mods differently. Any aftermarket stuff you put on is only suppose to void the warranty for that part. Ask your dealer the same question and get an idea on how they stand. I ordered my Jeep and got the lift, rims and tires I wanted put on by them. I thought it would help with the warranty. I also had the brilliant idea of putting nothing down, rolling up the cost of the lift, rims and tires in my loan and putting that money in the stock market. ;)
    I would watch out for the markup they put on all that stuff. Some of it was around 100%. I found out where they take it to have the work done and went there and got a quote.
    Overall you would do better to have it done yourself or even do it yourself. I have had some warranty work done with no problems. But, recently I had a suspension problem and they didn't want to work on it. They told me to talk to the aftermarket person and it needs to go to the shop that put the lift on. I don't see the labor or even maybe the part being covered.

mcrrt
    That is tough. Looks like you are selling the alero and going with two summer cars. Well financially it would be good if you could get rid of the firebird and alero. How long is your commute? Can you drive the firebird to work? The firebird should get better gas mileage. Maybe you should rent a Wrangler for the weekend and get a good feel for it. That will save you a lot more money versus buying one and ditching it a year later. That used TJ sounds like a real good price.

mtngal
    Why don't they have chains for tires bigger than 30"? Have you seen anyone make them for tires bigger than 30"?
  • aztjboyaztjboy Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to everyone for a great welcome! It's nice to be part of such a friendly community, especially after the day I had on Sunday. (More about that later...)

Here's some pics I took of my first day of TJ ownership!

http://www.geocities.com/enanneman/TJ.html

Now, the bad news... I was driving around on Sunday, when the Check Guages light went on with this buzzing sound. I looked at the dash, and my temp guage was buried all the way to the right, past 260 degrees! It couldn't get any hotter!

I pulled over and was alarmed to see steam rising out from the hood. I waited for about ten minutes, then opened the hood. I couldn't immediately see anything wrong, but took no chances and called Roadside Assistance. A guy came by with a flat bed about 20 minutes later (I was surprised how quickly he came), loaded up my Jeep and took it to the dealership.

I couldn't believe it. It had a grand total of 154 miles on it! I can't express the sadness at seeing it carried away.

The next day, the Jeep dealership called and they told me that they couldn't believe it either, but the radiator had a busted seam and they had to replace it! There also was a recall on the heat shield, which they also replaced. They had a shuttle out to my work and picked me up to reunite me.

Even though it was discouraging and I wonder about Jeep's quality control, I'm still happy with my baby. I was also pleasantly surprised with the dealership, which didn't try to repair the seam, but just replaced it.

Eric

You're so funny, Deb!

Believe me, I was with you in all your posts about your "Jeep yearning." I'm pulling for you and hope the day isn't too far off!!!
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for the response. If either of the 2 cars goes, it'll be the alero-I'm too attached to the Firebird (the wife and I dated with it, ah the sentiment!). My commute to work is only about 15min each way, and I do drive the 'bird on occasion if the weather is nice, and yes, with a V6 it gets great mileage-about 24 overall. I considered renting a Wrangler, but can't find anyone in my area who rents them (must be more of a "specialty market" item). The used one is a fair price, but yellow....hmm, not sure about that. Decisions, decisions!
    Hey, thanks for the info. It had a lot of good information, and I can tell I'll be spending a good chuck of time checking it out.

On the alarm route, I'm just not certain what to do. It seems to me that no alarm in the world is going to stop a thief who *really* wants a vehicle, though maybe an ignition-kill feature might be a good route to go.

I'm just thinking that a club will keep the honest guys honest. Someone who's got a hacksaw probably won't be deterred by a pesky alarm.

Let me know what you think, though. I really wanna feel comfortable with parking it on my street.

Thanks!

Eric
    Man, I am so sorry to hear about your radiator trouble! Nothing should spoil your first days with your Jeep! Hopefully, that's all the trouble you're gonna have.

Checked out your web page, and that Jeep's a beauty. I know you are proud of her. You know there's a photo gallery in the Jeep Owners Club, don't ya? Post a couple of pics there, if ya feel like it. Also, Gill's has a photo gallery.

Just stick with us and post a lot. Would like to see you in gill's too.

Tom

Thanks for the stu-offroad.com link! Makes me itchin' to start bolting on those mods! I'm not really planning on building an ultimate rock crawler, but am going to be starting with a couple small adjustments.

I know what you meant about waiting too long for one. I was thinking it was going to be a couple more years for me, too, before I really starting thinking about it and decided it was worth the $$ to get it now when I'm still (barely) in my 20s. ;)
    Get a German Shepherd if you can afford it.
    You can't use chains with any of the bigger tires (including the 30" tires mine came with) because of the width. Take a look at the inside of the rim, tire and the brake line. I wasn't happy because I had already signed the papers to get mine, and then the dealer handed me the sheet that said not to use chains. I almost didn't buy it then, but went ahead and bought since I hadn't even thought about moving to the mountains at that point.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Bama is still here..
    aztjboy.. welcome to the board ..
    Keep posting Good lookin jeep!!
    Sorry abou the problems u had so soon.
    I just got a pair of "TJ" decals for TAZZ
    they look great! Still not sure on what I wanna buy next Stereo upgrade or CB with security box.
    I gotta list going of things I want..just takes time to get the $$.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!
    I just ordered the red white and blue JEEP stickers Saturday. Hopefully they will be in today or real soon.
  • big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    I think the biggest problem with Wranglers is not outright theft, but just people breaking into the vehicle (especially with soft tops). I live in Boston, have had mine a little over a year, and it's already gotten broken into twice.

I bought a $40 self-install alarm from Crutchfield, and so far, so good. It's very simple -- just has a voltage sensor, so if someone opens a door (thus activating the interior light), the alarm goes off. It's definitely not going to stop a pro thief, but I figure it (and the warning stickers) may keep the two-bit hoodlums away and keep people from stealing my Rand McNally atlas.

Has anyone experienced problems with the fold-and-tumble passenger seat? Mine always worked fine, but now all of a sudden it has stopped tumbling -- the back releases fine, but the base no longer leans forward. It's now a pain for people to get into the back seat. Any idea how to fix it? I'm thinking a latch must've broken, but I don't know where to even start ...
    That would work fine, but a lot of us don't have doors in the summer, me included. I also live in Mass., and haven't had any problems yet. Was a little worried last weekend at the beach with my tackle box and fishing rod in the back, but I threw an old coat and a towel over them. Whew!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    There are a couple of levers, hooks and a cable that comprise the F&T assembly. What year is your Jeep? I have some pics (digicam and FSM screen grabs) of the assembly that might help.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/seatheat.htm

There should be a latch on the underside that controls the "full fold". On ours, the drivers side does it as well, so maybe you can look there for how it "should" work. If you need help, let me know and I can peer up under ours and see if I can snap a photo of the area that allows the seat to fold forward. This might allow you to see if it's something broken or just a cable that popped out of a holder.

Do you have the pull straps that come through the seat back and is that working to disengage the seat back from the base?

-twylie

• tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I was on vacation for the past two weeks so I missed plenty of posts. I'm caught up now. I called the dealer and found that there was a restriction on my order but it was removed in a couple days and all is now OK. I just got off the phone with Chrysler Customer Care. I gave them the VON and they had all the info including my name. They said that all is on schedule and it should be built in the second week of August. He said that it is in D status now but it will soon move to D1. He said that when it is built it will be sent by truck to the dealer. I live in NW PA. Not too far from Toledo. He was also able to give me the full VIN. He said to just give the last 8 digits of the VIN on future calls. It was suggested that I check back in two weeks for an update. They may have an update then. He was very helpful and willing to spend time with me answering my many questions. It is beginning to get exciting!

When I was on vacation we went to Ocean City MD. I was surprised to see that they have several YJ's that pull a series of trolly cars to take people up and down the boardwalk. The wife and I took a ride and I have some pictures. They pulled three cars each that carried about 24 people in each car. Pretty good I guess. They work all day. They have a simulated train sound to alert the walkers that they are approaching. After We left Ocean City we traveled up the coast and took a ferry across the water from Lewes Delaware to Cape May NJ. We were then met by my brother who had me park my car so he could give us a tour of historic Cape May. He has a summer home in the area. The tour was in his TJ that I have never seen in person. My wife was interested in seeing all the old homes but I was more interested in just enjoying the ride. In all it turned out to be sort of a Jeep vacation. When I was not seeing them I was thinking about my new one on order. I think the time is really going to slow down now.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    If I understood correctly, you're talking about the reart fold-and-tumble seat, correct? When I first got my Jeep, I noticed there are a couple hairpin-shaped things that attach on either side of the pivot-bolt that fits into those two metal pieces with holes on either side of the floor of the Jeep in back. I took mine off and never used them again - I take out and put back the rear seat all the time and have never had a problem. It sounds like maybe one of those pins slipped and got caught somewhere? Check that bolt on the bottom of the rear seat, where it connects on either side on the floor. If you were sitting in the rear seat, you would reach in front of you, feel the bottom of the seat, and then go all the way left or right to find where that pivot mechanism is. You might find something there that's blocking it from tumbling.

yellowman
    I would strongly recommend some type of sentry key or ignition kill switch. My then-7-month old solar yellow TJ was nearly stolen, but was saved because of the factory-installed Sentry Key Theft Deterrant System. Someone had broken in, ripped off the plastic sheathing on the steering column, and attempted to "hot wire" it into starting. It appears they succeeded in starting the engine, but then the safety sysyem kicked in after 1-2 seconds and killed the engine. When I found it, the ignition was turned halfway (but with no key of course) so the dashboard lights were on and the interior "ding ding" sound was going on. I'm totally convinced that the Sentry Key system saved my stll-new Jeep from being flat-out stolen.

yellowman
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Or a third row of seats for the Wrangler?

Wrangler Spin-offs in the Works

The Chrysler Group is working on a number of derivatives of the Jeep Wrangler sport-utility vehicle that could go on sale “in the next 18 months,” says George Murphy, Chrysler Group Senior Vice President, Global Brand Marketing.

Possible variations of the small SUV include adding a pickup bed or a third row of seats.

“There are a lot of things we’re working on that we could do in the next 18 months,” Murphy says.

“I would like to sell 110,000 Wranglers a year, versus 60,000 now,” he added. “We probably need to do some hybrids (derivatives based on the current Wrangler body style) to do that.”

Full story at http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5078

And here's a story on the new Scrambler. Not intended for the U.S. yet but someday?

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b070202.htm

Alarms: That Crutchfield alarm sounds like the perfect solution. Can you give me some more info?

Stickers: Pardon my ignorance, but what stickers are you talking about?

Thanks!

Eric
    I hear what you're saying--I definitely want to get something on it. I'm just uncomfortable spending wads of cash on an alarm system that a professional thief will just ignore or circumvent. What I'm really wanting to nip in the bud is the kids who see a pretty yellow Jeep and want to go for a joy ride or see what they can snatch and grab inside.

Big Dave's alarm sounds like it might fit the bill. Anything more elaborate and I might as well spring for Lo-Jack.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I discussed different protective devices with my insurance company and local police. In my opinion, get the sentry key. True, it will not stop the snatch and grab guy. However it will stop the joy rider and the guy that wants your tj (unless he hauls it off). Yellowman has good experience here. Think about it, how many times have you heard an alarm and just ignored it. By the way, I don't know if it helps, but my son gave me a small device that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A red LED blinks that looks like an alarm set indicator. Can't hurt. I don't know where he got it, but it only cost him a couple of dollars.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Big Dave, I'd also like to know the name of your alarm, for 40 bucks It might be worth it. I have been relying on The Club, though I'm not very confident about it. It is "something" and it gives my slight piece of mind.

Tluke, good to hear you had a great vacation. That's my playground! I vacation in Wildwood, just a few miles north of Cape May. Have you had the chance to eat at the Lobster House in Cape May? Great dining! And part of it is outside on an old lobster boat. The view is worth it alone.

aztjboy, I haven't had the chance yet so, CONGRATULATIONS! I too have a solar yellow TJ. (you can see it at http://itsajeep.org) Gill's place. The good news is that yellow cars are less likely to be stolen. I don't remember where I read that though. It must have something to do with the thieves afraid of being seen in such a bright color. Good news for us!

Just yesterday a kid walking with his mother at the super market commented "WOW!, That's the coolest car I've ever seen!" Another future Jeeper was born; except he needs to be told it aint a car :)

Bama, good to know you're still alive :) Sigh, I need more $$$ too. I've been pouring over the Quadratec catalogue for months just salivating and calculating my finances! I don't even know where to start since I sold my 97 (modded) Jeep a year ago. Time to start over...

Deb, hang in there girl! Though my money's still on Rick.

Oceantoad, how's your Dad? I hope everythings alright. Let us know, I'm still praying for you!

And last, Tom, I've been up to my neck in schoolwork. I promise I'll see you at Gill's soon.
    Just got a call form Oceantoad, and his dad is doing a lot better. I told him that I had posted and asked all of you to keep his dad in your prayers, and Toad said to tell you that "it's working." :)

Toady is going to stop by my house tomorrow night on his way back to Texas. It's gonna be fun to meet that old rascal, and he will get to meet Thelma Jane and Ross Allen. Too bad he won't be in his Jeep. :(

Tom

• tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    thebigkuhuna, You are in the area! My brother has a place in Avalon. We left Ocean City in the AM and went over the ferry to Cape May and on to Avalon. We did not have a chance to dine in Cape May. I only stopped to see my brother briefly and then continued toward home which is a 10 hour drive. When we were in ocean city we visited a place called Assateague Island. You may know but they have wild horses all over the island roaming around and on the beaches with the people. Very strange. Also on the island they have beach off road trails where you can drive after obtaining a $5.00 permit. They have a place where you exit so you can air up. They won't issue a permit if you don't have the right equipment, whatever that is. I drove my car on vacation so it was a moot point. I have to say that I never saw so many topless Jeeps as I did in the area. If I go back next year maybe I can talk the wife into taking the new yet unborn Jeep.
    I've been to Assateague and Chinkoteague (sp?).

They are pretty cool.

$5 for offroad pass? I think it is like $75 for the Cape Cod national seashore!!!!!!! (which I still might do in a few weeks!!!)
    I was talking about the one where the J E E P letters are like a flag.

look a few posts down on here:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=233222&highlight=flag+sticker

• ford12passford12pass Member Posts: 3
    I have a MUL-T-LOCK car transmission lock on my 98 manual. The previous owner had it installed, I have no idea where he got it. It locks my transmission in reverse with an "U" shaped bolt that attaches to a keyed fitting that bolts to the floor through a slit cut in the console. It is very sturdy with a lock that is supposedly impossible to pick. A quick search on the web didn't yield many results, but a picture of a lock on an automatic tranny is located at:

http://e-spec.co.za/html/Products/337/337_5.htm

I have no idea what it costs. I do know with the MUL-T-LOCK and the removable faceplate on my stereo, I never worry about leaving it outside. (I don't lock my console or glovebox and I use my hide a trunk)

These locks were used alot in Europe when I lived there. My insurance agent said no discount available for a passive theft deterrent, but I know it would stop anyone from trying to drive away with it.

Regards

98 Black Sahara

The Toad Man made it my house, and we had a good visit. Poor guy sure has a lot of miles ahead of him.

It was sure good to meet another one of my Jeep buddies, but he wasn't driving his Jeep for this trip, so I didn't get to see that sienna beauty.

Have a safe trip home, old Toady!

Tom

Larry made it back from his Colorado trip. He needs to make a nice long post and tell us all about it, don't you guys think? Come on, Lar!

I'm talking about larry18, but we have some new folks in here that probably don't know Lar. He is someone who used to post in here fairly regularly but got lazy on us. Come on, now Larry, we need your input into this group again.

Tom

I hereby nominate Tom (tsjay)!
    I think we mentioned this awhile back, but let me re-state my wholehearted nomination of TSJAY also! If not mayor, then DEFINITELY as the Official Worldwide Ambassador of Jeep-dom. :-)

yellowman