Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Yes, I'm still here guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been busy enjoying the Jeep. July 12th was the 1-year anniversary of the day I bought my Sahara. I'm still loving it. I finally let my husband drive it for the first time a couple of months ago. Should have done it sooner--he loves it too now.

Congratulations to all the new Jeepsters.

Laura
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've never heard of a video interview - guess I live in a different world. But one suggestion - I freeze up when I see that red light go on if a video camera is pointing at me. One way to get over that is find someone with a camera and practice. Then you will be set up for the interview.

There is nothing wrong with never taking your jeep off-road. The fact that you can enjoy a Wrangler on road as well as off road is to me the nicest thing about owning one. Today I got behind the wheel of mine for the first time in 2 weeks (we were out of town last weekend), and once again it was so much better than the Taco. I don't think my husband has been in the Wrangler in a month and he is now talking about how the Taco isn't so bad. He has forgotten how much better the Wrangler is!
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    one of the best things about going off road is all the friends we make .thats one thing you can't do when your driving on the road . you should the see trails i take my stock tj on .it would make most people wet there pants. my chevy friends get made becouse of all flex the stock jeep has. as long as you guys have fun in your jeeps on road or off i guss it's all good ! just don"t get it built for off road and then only drive it on road . don't be like chevy onwer . have you wheeled your jeep this weekend ?
  • aztjboyaztjboy Member Posts: 14
    Now that I've had my X for a good week, I've noticed that my driving habits have changed. I commute about 20 miles each way, mostly on freeways, and when I was in my Mustang, I would generally be a bit of a jerk, weaving in and out of traffic and such, and trying to shave off those precious minutes from my commute. Pushing a good 75 or 80 wasn't uncommon.

Now in my Jeep, it's totally different. It's like I don't really care how long it takes me to get anywhere (especially as I'm trying to keep it below 55 for the engine break-in). I mean, I've always KNOWN that a Jeep is so much more than a daily commuter that gets you from point A to point B, but now that I've experienced it first hand, I'm truly amazed at the difference. The Jeep has brought a whole new level of enjoyment to my rather mundane commute.

Talk about getting religion! Amen! :)

Eric

P.S. That Jeep Wave is something else! I feel like I'm part of a secret organization! Where can I learn the handshake?!
    Well, by my watch, it's been twelve hours. Was Mike the highest bidder on the Sport? I know I was pulling for him, and I just love the fact that you single-handedly infected him with Jeep Fever.

Good job! :)

Eric
    Well, last Sunday, I didn't have my Jeep because of a blown radiator. This Sunday, once again, I am Jeepless as my beloved TJ went back to dealer to get the side steps and center console installed that we worked into the original deal. It will be nice to have a little more storage area in that "cavernous" console, but now I'm stuck driving around in a Neon! Ugh!

The things we go through for our Jeeps!

Eric
  • rickagoodmanrickagoodman Member Posts: 11
    Man, we do need to get together soon. It's not like I have that far to go :). So, you know, once I get my Jeep I'm going to convince you to get Tazz off road at least a little bit. I know you're shaking your head no right now, but you don't know how persistent I can be :).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Yep, you've learned that a Jeep is even fun to drive when you have to go somewhere yucky, like to WORK! You need to drive a Jeep slower than you drive a car, but the nice thing is that you WANT to drive slower in a Jeep. Heck, the faster you go, the sooner you get where you're going, and the sooner you have to get out of your Jeep. :(

Glad you are enjoying that Jeep so much. Like I have told other new Jeepers, the really good news is that the fun lasts as long as you have your Jeep!

With all of my previous vehicles, there was that initial excitement, then the "new" wore off, and that vehicle didn't thrill me any more. Not so with my Thelma Jane. After 19 months, it's still a real treat to drive her, and it is hard to leave her home and drive that little S 10 of mine to work, which was the idea of getting that truck to begin with. Thelma was my daily driver for the first seven months that I had her, then I got that S 10 to drive to work. I was doing a good job of keeping the miles down on Thelma Jane, until the nice spring and summer weather set in and the top and doors came off of her. Now I am drving her to work more than I planned to, and the S 10 sits in the driveway. I have been a bad boy. :(

Thanks for asking about Mike's attempt to buy a Jeep. Unfortunately, the bid got higher than Mike was willing to go, so he dropped out on that one.

He is still committed to getting a Jeep, so I know he will get one as soon as the right Jeep and the right deal come along.

Let's all keep rooting for him, and when he gets one, I am going to do my best to get him to come here and join our family.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Since your post about the FIPK vs the factory air induction system, I took a close look for the first time at the factory system, and, Good Lord, you are right! The factory set up makes the air take a 90° turn to get into the filter box, then a gentler turn to get out of the box and across the top of the engine, then TWO 90° turns (a left turn and a downward turn) to get into the throttle body. I think the air has to stop and ask directions before it gets to the engine.

Don't know when, but an FIPK is probably in Thelma Jane's future.

Tom

Boy, where have you been? Are you back in your "lurking" mode again? We haven't forgotten ya, so quit hiding on us!

Tom

Will be around tonight, but I have to leave early in the morning for a business trip up to Illinois.

I will be in meetings tomorrow afternoon and all day Wednesday. What a pleasure that will be! YUCK! I hate meetings!

I plan to drive Thelma up there and hopefully take a vacation day Thursday and go to Badlands Offroad Park in Attica, Indiana. I will be only about two or two and a half hours away from there when I get to my destination for the business stuff.

So, after tonight, you guys will have to struggle along somehow without me til Friday night. :)

Hey, who should I designate as substitute "mayor" while I am gone? :)

I'll be on tonight, so I'll see you guys then.

Tom

• lawdawgfllawdawgfl Member Posts: 75
    That’s one of the many things I miss about not having a Jeep. When I would drive around town and see another Jeep, I’d wave and then get a nice wave back or a smile even a nod sometimes. Now that I own an Xterra nothing, and forget trying to get any response from people driving Troopers (wife’s SUV). I like my X but the owners can be real jerks. For example on this web board, everyone seems nice and polite, you all give information that’s asked and do not get too annoyed by the same question being asked over and over. Unlike this Xterra web board that I go to, they are down right mean about things. One guy asked about the price of the Rubicon, and was flamed for it. Its nice to come to a board where people are glad you stopped by and are friendly. I can’t wait until I get my Jeep. Thanks (waving)
    i would like to know how you guys found the names for your jeeps. my jeep got the name sasquatch becouse one day a friend and i where out driving in the woods above san jose just like 20 ft. from the road. but we were just hidden by the trees so when a car past buy the pasenger had to look twice to see what was out there . my jeep a rust orange color .we thought it was funny and said we're just like big foot but i liked the name sasquatch better. i even have a little sasquatch on my dash. here in san jose few did the jeep wave. but like two week ago thay all started waveing. if anyone would like to see photos of hollister hills go to www.gottrail.com he has a few photos of somw of the harder trails there . keep on jeeping ben
    I picked Thelma Jane because I wanted a girl and I wanted her initials to be T and J, since she was gonna be a TJ. :) That's how I came up with "Thelma Jane."

I had that name picked out before she was ever built, and the dealer knew that I had named her that. When she came in from the factory, my salesman called me at work and said "Thelma Jane is here!"

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    38 new posts!
    You mention keeping the incoming air cool.

Yet...I see at least one manufacturer sells waterjacket HEATED intake manifolds.

I thought I remembered from physics/chemistry class that the hotter the fuel/air mix is, the more efficiently it burns. Maybe the density outweighs (pardon pun) that.

???
    another reason is it is a cheap, fun convertible.

I bought mine for winter traction skiing, my civic won't tow my boat, and I've always wanted a jeep.

Also, I ran into clearance issues with the civic and jetta in off-road situations. Have not had those problems in those areas with the jeep. I guess you just get stuck deeper in the woods, that's all!
    I felt the same way. I came from a little pocket rocket Civic which was great at cornering, etc.

The Wrangler just gave me not only a whole new driving style, but a new attitude to go with it.

I mentioned this before, but you can actually hear birds singing, kids playing and laughing, etc. You WANT to stop and explore trails and mud. You WANT to have it snow out. You WANT to be out there doing it and being a part of it!!!
    my last car was a daewoo lanos . one day i had to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. when i was there i took a look at there used cars. thats when i frist took a real look at a jeep and had to have one! we needed a 4x4 for are ski trips and i wanted a4x4 for years but never had the money till now . every weekend from the day i got it it's been offroad. i even let my wife drive it sometimes but she don't like wheeling .but she dose want to hollister hill becouse of all the fun and friends i tell her about. got jeep?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I think I did a Poll on here about a name.
    Tom?? is that right I can remember
    Well I got my antenana & coax installed in TAZZ all I need now is the CB. I have a bid on eBay. Hopefully I will get that one.
    Well..rick ..hmm maybe a small off-road trail.
    Good Seeing ya SaharaGal.. welcome back to the board. I hope you can make it to my JEEP show next April.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!! (roll tide)
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I'm pretty close by--Atlanta. It'd be fun to meet you guys. That doesn't mean I have to have any mods done to the Sahara by then, does it?

Laura
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    If kelleyo and saharagal and I all make it over to Terry's, it could be a trio of white Jeeps making the trip from GA!

Terry, missed your earlier ? about power for the CB. I have a couple of tips I can suggest. Feel free to email me and I'll give you my # if you want to call me.
    -twylie
  • dgriff3466dgriff3466 Member Posts: 4
    Could someone give me some insight as to what the difference is between an X and sport??
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

On my drive to work this morning, I noticed wisps of steam coming up from the central defrost vent where the dashboard meets the windshield (I did NOT have the air conditioning or heating on). I kept an eye on it and it got a little more constant - the temperature guage was right in the middle, so not in the red. When I got to work I noticed a little bit of coolant leaking into the driver's side footwell from a plastic opening. This afternoon I took it to my mechanic guy and he instantly cited it as a "heating core" problem, possibly a leak somewhere, and said to go to the dealership, that it should be under warranty. I did so, and my jeep is there now. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Two weeks ago I had my coolant flushed and filled by my mechanic, and I noticed after popping my hood that it says, "special coolant required". Anyone have any experience with this? Do you have your mechanic put some "special" coolant in? Could that have been the cause of this heater core problem?

While it's at the dealer I'm going to have them do that ignition recall/TSB. Fortunately there's a Jeep dealer right around the corner from where I live so I was able to walk home. The guy said he'd call me tomorrow to let me know what the deal is.

yellowman
    Man, sorry to hear about your problems.
    In my GMC Jimmy I had the heater coil problem twice. I had the coolent leaking in my floorboard. Thats why I get rid of it. I hope Everything turns out ok.
    SharaGal..No mods needed this is just time to show off your Jeep. Plus, to get to meet everyone. I hope you can make it
    Spent 3 hours washing & cleaning Tazz, Then it started raining.. MY LUCK.. Ohh well
    At least I got the inside done.
    Twylie, I would appreciate all your help..

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
    I was thinking my Jeep was more "boyish" so I was considering something like Tommy Joe. That way, when I was trying to make it up a steep incline or something, I could yell "Go Joe!"
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    On the X you pay extra for fog lights and tow hooks, with the Sport they are included. The X does not have a dana44 rear axle available, the Sport does as an option. The Sport has full metal doors, with the X they are extra. The Sport has a steering group (tilt wheel and leather wrapped wheel) and a convenience group (light under the hood, courtesy light inside, full size console) the X you pay for them as an option. The Sport has an upgrade in the number of speakers that is an option, I'm am not sure if the X has that option.

I can't remember any other things off the top of my head and my Jeep book has departed the area for parts unknown.

The only thing that kept me from getting an X instead of my Sport was the dana44 rear axle which I might never need, but wanted just in case.

Are the seats also slightly different from you folks in the know?

Still a happy camper.
  • rickagoodmanrickagoodman Member Posts: 11
    See, you're already breaking down. This is gonna be easy. :)
    Hey, my Bud, Mike, at work is very close to buying a Jeep! He has found a 97 Sport with 51,000 miles on it that is a one owner vehicle.

The top and uppers for the half doors need replacing, and the dealer is going to price the Jeep "as is" and with a new top and door uppers. The windshield is cracked horizontally all the way across, and a new windshield will be included in the "fixed up" price. Also part of the "fixed up" price will be a complete detail clean up.

Mike can buy the Jeep "as is" for $10,200. What do you guys think? It has A/C, a five speed, grizzly wheels with 30" tires, almost new tires on it (but not good, aggressive tread), and cruise control. The exterior is in good shape, but there is a small dent in the right front fender just below the parking light, and the bumper has a wrinkle where it has been straightened. The Jeep is that dark blue that they call Patriot Blue on the newer ones, but I don't know if that's what they called it on the 97s... sure looks like the same color.

I told Mike to take it "as is" and just not worry about a top for a while. Heck, he can lower the top or take it off all together and remove the door uppers. He has another vehicle to drive if it's raining, so why not just go topless and doorless (or at least half doorless)? He can get a new windshield and have the carpet cleaned somewhere (instead of a full detail that the dealer would have done).

DO IT MIKEY! :)

Tom

I think you might be a new guy? Don't remember any posts of yours until this one about the X vs. the Sport.

If you are new, then welcome to the group. Make yourself at home.

The main idea of the X model was to allow a person to get the 4.0 six cylinder engine without paying the price of a Sport or Sahara. So, the "X" is between the SE (4 cylinder) and the Sport in price.

I don't know much about them beyond that. I found out from Oceantoad that you can't get the Dana 44 rear end in the "X" (as he mentioned in his post).

Once again, welcome, and please post often. Ask all the questions you want to.

Tom

Sorry about your heater core problem, man! I don't think it's because of anything you did. Just got a bad one from the factory, I'll bet.

Tom

I've been keeping an eye on Edmund's web site for their valuation of both my Wrangler and my Taco. The trade in value of my '98 with 102,000 miles is somewhere around 8,800, according to them, with retail about 10,000. Mine is a year younger and has a hard top (shouldn't add much more than $500 at the most) but has twice the miles. I think, based on this, that the as-is price is high, and the dealer should come down on it. Also, in California it isn't legal to have a cracked windshield.

If it were me, I'd get the dealer to come down in price some and replace the windshield. As you suggested, the top and doors can come later (he might prefer aftermarket). The dent isn't a big deal, after all, it's a jeep and slight dents just give them character!

But what something is worth to me might not be worth the same to someone else. It all comes down to whether you want that jeep more than you want the money. If so, it is a good deal, no matter what others might get theirs for.
    Thanks for your input. I think the low miles on that Jeep would add a lot to the value of it.

Hey, it's really hard to find a 97 or 98 Sport for sale around these parts. You can find some SE's with the four banger engines, but my Bud wants a six for sure. Seems like it's easier to find a 2000 or a 2001 than a 97 or 98. Those 2000's and 2001's are priced so high, you might as well get a new one.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today/
    when I get back from Illinois.

I think it will probably be Friday night before I get back in here.

Help me root for dry weather, cause I am gonna be topless and doorless, with only the safari top on Thelma for the trip.

Tom

here in san jose ca. i only paid $17,000 for my 00 sport with 12,000 on it and has 2 tops hard and soft hard doors ac it even has power door locks .and till i got it it had never been off road .
  • big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    Wow -- I didn't check the site for a week, and I had to scroll through four times to find replies to my post -- that's what you call a "good problem!"

Aztjboy -- you can buy the alarm at Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com). Installation is pretty easy -- one wire goes to the battery, one to the relay panel, and one to your parking light. The one I bought was only $40. People definitely ignore alarms when they hear them, but if somebody sees someone suspicious around a car that's alarm is going off, hopefully they'd report it (or I'd hear it). The window stickers come with the alarm -- they just say "armed by crimestopper" or something like that. I think you can buy just the stickers at Radio Shack, actually ...

Twylie, thanks for that URL -- that will definitely help me dissect the car seat and get to the root of the problem. The pull latch that comes through the top of the seat works to disengage the bottom of the seat (it pushes forward), it just doesn't flip over like it used to. Luckily I don't have to climb in the back too often, but a few people have nearly taken face-plants getting out of the Jeep.

As far as the Jeep wave goes, I noticed when I went away this weekend that there's a huge difference between the city and the suburbs. I rarely get a wave in Boston, but once I get out of town, everybody waves all the time!!!! Somebody should do a demographic study on this ...
    Hey..found this on that "auction" site

Pretty cool..like the Red.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845496064

Keep posting!!

bama

Not that it is a big deal, but it sounds like that jeep was maybe rolled. Top, door tops, cracked windshield?
    eeeew!
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

The dealer called today to say that they had to order the heater core part, so I'll be Jeep-less for one more day. He did say, however, that it will be covered under warranty, and they're also taking care of that ignition recall/TSB. I'll give everyone else another update tomorrow when I get it back. Can't wait!

yellowman
    who's jeep are you talking about?
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Sorry that I haven't been posting for a couple of days. We had some nasty thunderstorms day before yesterday and last night I was caught up in the Cards and Giants game....tonight too ;)

Well, the patriot blue X model was gone but I drive by all the time so I'll see any new deliveries. And if need be...I keep my eye out for used ones also. We'll see what developes.

Hey gal! Nice to see you're still alive ;) Kids must be otherwise occupied for you being able to post twice :)

Bama, wish I could make it down there for the food AND the Jeeps ;)

Hug your Jeeps for me til I get mine ;)

dwrangler
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I've heard that a new 4 speed automatic will be available with the new 2.4l 4 cylinder that will be introduced in the '03 model Wranglers. Anyone know if a 4 speed will also be available with the straight 6?

Thanks,
    mcrrt
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    The new 4 cyl is the same one currently used in the Liberty. Seems to have equal or better HP and torque numbers across the board. DC just has one less engine to build and stock.

The new 4 speed auto will be available with the 6 cyl; however, I have seen some people posting that their Rubicon orders are being held up if you want the 4 speed auto. 5 speed manuals will be available in 2-3 weeks. I read that as the auto is not yet available in quantity. No one has been able to get a timeline from DC as to when these will become available and start showing up at the dealers. HTH

-twylie
    talked to my local Jeep dealer..
    said the same thing about the AUTO rubicon.
    Too many orders for the auto.
    he has 8 on order now. When is gets one in..
    im gonna go check it out
    He has told me he will bring some new jeeps in for my jeep show as well.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
    "who's jeep are you talking about?"

The one with the damaged or missing top and the cracked windshield and dented fender. I was speculating, that's all.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for the info, guys!
    An interesting theory, and a real possibility (rolled off-road, low speeds) - definitely one for tsjay's friend to check out.

On the other hand, it could be a stone chip that spread, someone who doesn't back up or park well, and windows and top not stored properly (i.e., just general neglect). If any of the rolled vehicles I've seen on the highway are any indication, there would be far more other body damage. If they fixed the body damage, why not the windshield (and top)? If it were me, I'd be checking the underside for signs of tough off-roading - that might provide some answers.

Definitely a question to ponder, since none of us have actually seen the vehicle!
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Here are some links about differentials, limited slips and lockers for anyone interested. Feel free to post if you have any questions.

http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#slip

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P27952851
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    cont.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M15932851

Tom,

Have you thought about limited slips? Like the detroit truetrac? Would be a cheaper route to go and with them front and rear, they will get you a lot of places.