Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I'm using the Bosch Plats in my Jeep and they helped a bunch in smoothing out the idle.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#sparkplugs

Yours will be different in that mine is distributorless, but the plug numbers are the same for the 4.0. Champion or Bosch is a matter of personal preference. I've always used the Bosch Platinums since they are generally good for 60k+ miles, but the plugs in the 4.0 are super easy to get to and changing them could be done in 15 min. You may read that "platinum plugs are bad for a Jeep". I have found absolutely ZERO credible evidence of this. To each their own.

HTH

-twylie

• jptjjptj Posts: 53
    My stock Manifold is long gone. When the warranty expired I installed a Borla Header, Turbo City Rock-it Air Tube (with a K&N Filter) and exhaust system. This gave me a little more pep and a around 2 M.P.G. increase.
  • jeepheadjeephead Posts: 49
    As summer is right around the corner, I am thinking of getting a mirror remounting kit for my 2000, so when I take the doors off, I still have mirrors. Does anyone have any experience with this? What types of issues should I be aware of and look out for? Any info would be appreciated.

JeepHead
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Sounds like a great set-up. Wish I had thought of going that route before I did something about mine - 2 mpg means a great deal with that thirsty 4L. Unfortunately, it is already done. It is much quieter, now, and while I hadn't noticed before, but the performance had been affected - it has better pickup on the hills. Since our regular commuter is a 4 banger and also since the weather has been so dry, I hadn't been driving the Wrangler to work - just to wander around the mountains, so I hadn't really noticed the less power. Now I notice a distinct difference in power between the two.

Now if we can just get that forecasted snow for today, I'll be happy!
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    You mean the 97 4.0Liter has a distributor and yours does not? What year did they change?

I am not sure if I am ticked or happy to have a distributor.
    Maybe it had the same power, you just didn't use it with your foot all the way into it to save the ears.

:-) :-(

?
  • cklausingcklausing Posts: 16
    Actually, I was in the same boat not too long ago, and have just finished my initial test run with the mirrors that I picked up. I ended up ordering the pair of "Quick-Mirror II" through Quadratec. These come with mounting hardware that attaches to your windshield hinges, and this hardware can be left on, even when the mirrors are not in use.

My only experience has been with these particular mirrors, but I'm sure at least some of it carries over to others as well:

1) The actual installation was a breeze. Had to go out and pick up the proper torx bit to get the bolts out of the windshield hinge, but it took very little force on my part to get them out, and the entire install time was roughly 10 minutes for both sides.

2) Getting the doors off was fairly easy as well, but I quickly decided to leave the bolt caps off of the door bolts when I put the doors back on. They don't really seem necessary, and it is just one less step that I have to do which risks putting a big scratch in the side of my jeep. (Also, make sure to undo the door-restraint strap before attempting to lift the door off the pivots. This sounds obvious, but I wasn't paying attention and the first door I lifted off was still strapped to the inside of the jeep....)

3) As for the add-on mirrors themselves, the passenger side mirror in the "QM-II" pair that I bought is a really funky looking thing. I assume there is a legit reason for this, but I really wish they'd just have included the same mirror arm as they did on the driver side. I'd have to go look at the mount bracket, but I think you might be able to get away with buying two driver-side mirror packages, and just flipping the bracket on one of them to mount it to the passenger side.

4) At least for the "QM-II" setup, the piece of the bracket that actually holds the mirror arm needs to be postioned such that the hole that accepts the arm is on the front side of the car. Kind of difficult to put into words, but you would know what I'm talking about if you actually see the hardware. This is necessary to limit one of the below problems.

5)As for the actual mirrors, there are some serious issues that you have to make sure to work around. If you are going to be using them at highway speeds, that is going to put a LOT of torque on the mounting hardware. This won't damage the mount at all, but since at least with the QM-II model, everything is held in place using friction, so there is nothing actually "locking" the mirror in place. This is a real problem with the passenger side mirror. Because of it's funky arm, wind places some serious torque on the mirror in such a way that it WILL rotate while you are driving. I hand-tightened that thing as far as I could get it, and it still would start to move about the time I hit 50mph.

The driver side mirror is a bit better. It has a long arm, but because of the way it sticks out (which is totally different from the passenger side arm) the torque gets applied in a different plane, and as long as you make sure you took into account the info in #4, the mirror shouldn't move a bit.

6) The "QM-II" kit came with some really tiny hex-bolts to lock the mirror arm in place with. These things are REALLY easy to mis-thread, so be super careful.

Last minor annoyance is that the mirrors make a whistling sound at high speed. Not a huge gripe by any means, but it is noticable.

All in all, I ended up not even using the passenger side mirror. I've contemplated ordering a second driver-side kit and using the arm from it to attach the passenger side mirror in the same fashion as the driver side, but it isn't essential. The driver side mirror once properly attached has worked great. I've had it up to about 80mph just to see if it would hold, and it didn't budge a bit. If they'd just have not used such a funky mount arm for the passenger side, I'd have been completely happy.

Well, that is my experience so far. Overall I'm satisfied, but just be aware up front that if you are going to be driving at highway speed with the doors off, make sure the mirror kit you end up going with is capable of handling the torque. Looking back, I'm thinking I may have been best off just getting some of the relocation brackets and moving the factory mirrors off the door and onto the jeep body itself. Don't know if that would have given me the best position or not, but at least the factory mirrors don't have long arms on them and hence aren't as affected by the torque that wind causes......
    How true, how true. Or it could be that with all this dry weather I forgot what it was like to drive it on the freeway (good weather we take the more economical Tacoma). Oh well, my other half and I are going to different places this weekend, so I'll be driving the Wrangler to Vegas! Even though it takes longer (I drive slower) it is still more comfortable on long trips than the Taco!
  • ccladrewccladrew Posts: 1
    I've been looking at replacing my soft top. There are a few types out there. Want to get an opinion on the different kinds. What about these Sailcloth or something. They say they are the quietest out there.
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I think the TJ switched to distributorless ignition in 2000. Should be more reliable and less prone to water issues. The newer ones have a coil bar that covers the plugs.

-twylie
    Did you ever hear from nkelly? I'm heading up to Washington this summer and thought he might recommend some jeep trails up there.

My Wrangler is too clean at the moment - I took it to Vegas this weekend for an investment seminar instead of the trails. Came back on Monday so didn't even have the excuse of bad traffic to get out into the desert...

ccladrew - I have a hard top, which I love, so I don't know anything about soft tops.
  • supercrusupercru Posts: 9
    I would like to find a way to get a couple (2-3)more inches of drivers seat legroom in a new Wrangler. Has anyone tried to squeak out an inch or two by remounting the front seat? How about after market seats? I am 6'-7" and would appreciate any ideas. (Other than a painful surgical option that is...) Thanks in advance for any help..
  • Do you own a Wrangler? I'm 6'5" and the legroom is a concern of mine- I sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show, and it seeems to be enough, but I haven't driven one yet. I think I'll need the tilt steering wheel since my knee hits it when I press the clutch. Any thoughts?
    6'1" here.

Just barely enough.

For what it's worth, if anyone needs to replace Jeep seats, I hear that the Ford Mustang seats are an exact match for bolt holes, so that opens up possibilities with aftermarket and junkyard finds.
  • Hi all,

I've been contemplating buying a 2002 or 2003 wrangler sport. Does anyone know of changes for 2003? I read a couple of months (can't remember publication) ago that the I-6 may be replaced with a V6. Can anyone verify or discredit this? Any input will be helpful and appreciated......thanks

opinions wanted.....green or patriot blue w/camel interior?
  • Hey Mtngal!

I am an on again, off again lurker on the Wrangler list, but just had to chime in, because I spin, knit and weave! My travelling wheel fits nicely in the back of Harley Jane - I just strap the legs to the hooks on the floor so the wheel doesn't fall over. The wheel is much happier now that it doesn't have to rattle around in the trunk of a car!

Here's the details on the Jeep -

Name: Harley Jane
    Date of Birth: December 15, 2000
    Model Year: 2001
    Model: Sahara
    Color: White

I love my Jeep - I smile every time I drive her!

Now I just have to move where there are mountainy trails to play on!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,881
    Welcome to Town Hall from a fellow weaver (been loomless for three years, but on the lookout for a 2 harness to make some rag & churo rugs).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

My mom has a loom and spinning wheel. I used to know how to knit and spin and weave when I was a kid, but have probably forgotten it.

Welcome!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Nkelly has just plain disappeared on us. I have not heard from him in ages. I have though about him and wondered what happened to him.

I hate it when our buddies just disappear like that.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    You are 6'-7" tall? Geez! Just remove the front seat and sit on the back seat while you drive! :)

Seriously, I hope you find a solution. It would be a shame for someone not to be able to enjoy having a Jeep. Good luck.

tsjay

I saw a kid at the Y getting out of a Saturn sedan (older one). He just kept getting out and out and out. He must have been around 6'8" or 6'9" tall.

You never know how a car might fit.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Who knows where they get their information, but Edmunds reports that the Wrangler will keep the 4.0L I6 for one more year:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/futurecars/articles/44810/page019.html

• big_davebig_dave Posts: 13
    I'm 6-4, and my biggest problem when looking at cars was headroom. There's plenty in the Wrangler, and I fit fine for legroom with the driver's seat all the way back (and slightly reclined). My only pet peave is that I don't have the tilt steering wheel, so I have to crane my neck to see some of the gauges.

I think you'll be alright at 6-5 (and definitely the tilt steering wheel), but the only way to know for sure is to take one of those suckers out for a drive!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. I've never tried spinning, but I think about it every time I pass the alpaca that lives on the main road! I always thought that jeeps and off-roading didn't quite go with knitting needles! As I've said before, Wranglers seem to go well with all sorts of people - tall, small, those who just drive to work and those that love going places without pavement.

My husband is only 6' and he has no problem with either leg room or head room. However, the back seat is barely big enough for me - he doesn't even try to get back there...
  • Hi Everyone-

Thanks for all of the advice over the past 2 weeks. I went to the dealer last night and took the plunge. Here are the details for my new baby.

Name - Simmone
    Birth 3/13/02
    2002 Sport
    Black w/ black soft top
    30" Canyon Tires
    Dana Rear Axle
    3.73 Ratio
    Trac Lok Differential
    AC
    Side Steps
    CD and 7 speakers

MSRP 23290

I traded my Camry for this and was able to get a very good deal.

The blue book of the Toyota was 9700- I was able to get 11000 for that, and Simmone at 200 over invoice. It took some arguing and patience, but I got the deal and drove it home last night!

I can't wait for the summer to come so I can pull the top down.

Thanks again for the advice!

By the way- 6'5" and it fits fine.
    CONGRATULATIONS! I know you have to be in 7th Heaven right now!

Sounds like a fantastic deal! (And a great Jeep)

Have fun and share the joy with us by posting here and telling us how you are enjoying your early days with the Jeep.

Once again, congrats!

Your profile says you live in Illinois. I am in Ky., so if you live in southern Illinois, we may not be too far from each other. We might be able to get together at Turkey Bay on Ky Lake for some "wheelin'."

tsjay

Conrats on the new Jeep! You'll have a great time with it. So, tsjay, now you're a real convert to the "get it dirty" gang! It is lots of fun! In some ways I wish I earned more - I wouldn't be quite so cautious on the trails - I can't afford high repair bills, like a friend of mine who is always replacing or tearing up something on her 4x4, lifted, locker installed, etc. Toyota truck.

I'm having a hard time - I would really like the Rubicon, but haven't ever felt a need for lockers, etc. And I'm not sure having 2 Wranglers is the most practical idea for us, but I sure would like that Rubicon...
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Hello Jeepers..
    Im still here ....
    Been busy...working alot..trying to spend more time with kids too...
    hope ya'll havent forgot about me...
    only update on tazz..got the door windows tinted..
    looks GOOD now..
    Mark congrats on the jeep!!

keep jeepin
    BT
  • jim222jim222 Posts: 8
    My 99 Wrangler Sport has 32K on it at present. Last fall I discovered the defrosters did not work. My dealer here in west Michigan said he would take care of it under warranty. When I picked it up, he said that it was a 6 hour job and the dash had to be removed. He said that his dealership has had about a half dozen returns to be remedied for the same problem. Now my dash has a couple of annoying rattles. Has anyone else experienced the same situation?
    Thanks for posting your problem. My '98 Wrangler heats and cools just fine - but all the air goes only through the defroster ducts. It had switched the A/C to the defrost ducts once the first summer we had it, then went back to operating normally. It was involved in an accident the next winter and I didn't notice until the next summer that the air (cold or hot) only goes through the defroster ducts. I've never bothered to check into it, since the only difference is that it is less efficient A/C (for heat we always have it on defrost anyway). From what you are saying, I REALLY don't want to correct it!

By the way, it looks like we might have some winter after all - it snowed last night! Hopefully more snow tomorrow! Hooray - an excuse to drive the Wrangler!