Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    When I started really looking at replacements for the Taco, I did some math. I figured the difference between a vehicle getting 26 mpg (or 27, I don't remember exactly what I used but it was in that ball park) and burning premium gas at 20 cents per gallon more than regular vs. a vehicle using regular gas and getting 20 mpg (what I would expect to get if I get a 6 cylinder engine) and the premium gas vehicle was a bit less expensive (though not by very much). That's why I'm still thinking about the WRX (or possibly the Forester turbo, but I'd have to test drive that one), along with the Liberty or another Wrangler. I'm not sure that having 2 Wranglers is really the best idea, but I'm not sure any of the others impress me enough to not consider a 2nd Wrangler, if the gas cost is around the same.

If gas prices stay way up I'll have to start thinking in terms of a Prius, insight or other hybrid again. After all, my 28 month old Tacoma is going to roll over 100,000 miles next week (it is at 99,500 today), so gas is a major part of my monthly budget!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm buying a new pair of skis tomorrow for $184!

Your point is well taken though.

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    There you go......... premium skis!

:-)
    Actually I lied - they're 184's in length. Cost was $180 (slightly used demo's) :-)

They were so slick and well tuned I skied to the quad lift, lost it, and kept right on going and had to get back in line to get back on the lift. But not until after another chair came along from the other direction and knocked me down <g>. Been safer to have Tom winch me up to the top.

Then an hour later I fell down while just standing around and broke a pole.

LOL, it was a great day on the mountain :-)

Oh yeah, had to buy gas coming home and it jumped up to $1.65 here for regular. Was $1.59 just last week.

Steve, Host
    I wish our regular was still 1.65 - the bottom price I can find up here is 1.71, and in LA it is running 1.75 and up. OUCH!
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    my tj has about a 4in. lift now. got most of the stuff free from friends.it's now fully maxed out on flex in the front[ the front l.c.a.s hit where the front shocks mount.] it did real nice on the trail last weekend. hey tom if you want to see a flex photo go to rob's site and look under bragging rights.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Blizzard! Folks, right now I have a foot of snow in front of my house (Delaware). They are forcasting 2 feet or more by tomorrow. Delaware has declared a state of emergency so even if I did want to go out we are not allowed to be on the roads. I was out earlier and saw dozens of stranded vehicles (no Jeeps) :) Local police say as over 100 cars have been abandoned. There are 3 to 4 foot snow drifts here already. Our biggest storm in history was in 1996 when we got 30 inches the 2nd biggest was the blizzard of 1978 when we got 20 inches. I wonder how our Jeeps do in 20+ inches of snow? I may find out tomorrow :)
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I'm jealous about the snow you're getting! All we're getting here in Seattle is rain (I know...big surprise), LOL.

Soggy in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Hey, I want some of that snow!
    Here's an update. There are now 600+ cars stranded on the roads of Delaware! So far (8:42 p.m.) we have about 16 inches and they say it will get much worse through the night and into tomorrow. Snow has accumulated up to my chest on both porches. As I look out of my window, all I see is a snow tornado. My neighbors Civic is completely covered. Whew, this is one for the history books.
  • smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    Snow is supposed to start anytime here. We already have 6 to 8 inches from the last storm and they are predicting another foot to 18 inches here on the coast in CT. Groceries are bought, wood has been brought in for the firepace in case of a power outage and the Jeep has a full tank of gas. If you really want to drive in the snow, offering to take emergency personel into work is a good deed and should make it legal to drive. Checking with your local police department should be able to tell you if this is doable. Of course, bear in mind liability risks. I remember people doing that when I was growing up - mom's a nurse.
  • huck6huck6 Member Posts: 37
    I considered the cost of gas as well, but when you consider what performance you are getting in a WRX for @ $25K, anything else that even comes close will run you another $10-12K easy (until the new Lancer hits).
    Hey, it was rain when it left Arizona! :)

Wish you could send some our way, I have forgotten what a good snow looked like. A few years ago, 2-3 feet were common up here, but no loner.
    All that snow even made the news here. I hope that everyone back there is doing well and keeping warm. Our weather is going back to its normal partly cloudy/mostly sunny self (sigh). The rain we had Friday melted all of our snow. A little snow is wonderful but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing...

By the way, a Wrangler will get stuck in snow around 30" - mine did 2 years ago when we had that much in one night. While I managed to get it out of the driveway, it got high centered in the street out in front of our house (build up of packed snow under the frame) and the front was trying to push through a snow bank almost to the top of the hood. We were finally able to get out that afternoon (which was fortunate - my other half had run out of cigarettes and was going slightly nuts). Remember, this snowfall was in SoCal!
    Last snow post of the night (sorry folks, but this is just amazing to people in this area). We now have 23 inches. Snow is falling at a rate of 2-5 inches an hour. They are now saying we will get over 3 feet of snow with winds sustained at 35-50 miles an hour. This is the biggest snow in recorded history for delaware. The drifts are now up to my neck. I doubt very highly that me and my Wrangler is going anywhere anytime soon. Smurf, I wanted to help out but as they have not plowed my area there is no way even my TJ can get through this. When they plow my community I will call the hospital to see if I can do my good deeds :)
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    What ever happened to global warming?????

Still a happy camper.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Don't ya know - global warming causes global cooling! ;-)

tidester, host
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    tidester-ever notice that the Environmental Chicken Littles(ECLs)always claim that warm winters are proof of global warming?
    And that the ECLs will also cite record cold winters as proof of global warming?
    I guess it's the junk science equivalent of "Heads I win, Tails you lose"...
    Hi, everyone!

Tom is having problems with his computer is unable to post messages. He wanted all of you to know.

We hope the problem gets resolved and hope to see him hear ASAP. He and Ross Allen say "Hi!"

tidester, host
    ever notice that the Environmental Chicken Littles(ECLs)always claim that warm winters are proof of global warming?

Yes, I have noticed that! Funny how that works isn't it.

tidester, host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I forgot that I could "sneak" onto the Internet at work, so it really wasn't necessary for you to do that favor I asked, but I appreciate your doing it for me anyway.

Jeep Buddies, the old Tomster has a puter problem at home, and I cannot log in to any web sites. I can read the posts here, and I do keep up with them, but I cannot post, since I cannot log in.

I get a message from the web sites that I visit and try to log into that my browser will not accept cookies, even though my security setting shows that I DO allow cookies.

I have tried a BUNCH of stuff to correct this problem, and I even stayed up late last night to download and install IE 6.0 (had 5.5). I thought this would surely be the end of my problems, but no luck. :( I STILL get those messages about my browser not accepting cookies.

I have some more reading to do in the Microsoft Help section. Maybe I can find out how to fix this.

Any ideas out there? I DON'T want to have to reload Windows! Oh, BTW, I have Windows 98 and, now, IE 6.0. I have AOL for my Internet Service Provider and use version 7.0.

Oh, it doesn't matter if I am in the AOL browser or in the IE browser... same results either way.

Thanks, Peeps.

Tom
    Try Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies and then Delete Temporary Files. Then reboot.

Someone in Ask the Town Hall Hosts had a similar sounding problem so I'm cc'ing a copy of your message to our web guy.

Steve, Host
    Hey, I appreciate it Steve. What you suggested is the first thing I tried, but no luck.

Maybe your web guy will be able to put me onto the solution to this. Thanks for passing it along to him!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Johnv may be on vacation today.... did you try opening Windows Explorer and searching for a Temporary Internet Files folder and cleaning it out? Nothing else occurs to me except some sleep engineering.

Steve, Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    So, no power, avalanche get you or what? Expected to hear stories about your Wrangler being stuck in the big drifts.

Come on, did you play in the snow???????? If so, how did the Wrangler do?

Still a happy camper
    Toad, I expected I could play in the snow too. Unfortunately we haven't seen a plow here yet and I am a long way to a road that might have been plowed. The residential roads are about 2-3 feet deep with some bigger drifts. It's impassable. My back got a workout though! Advil is my friend :) The snow drifted underneath my Jeep packing it in tight. I actually had to shovel underneath it! I am really itching at getting her underway but it just isn't gonna happen for awhile.
        Tom, might it be time for a new computer? :) I hope you get it worked out soon.
    As previously mentioned by (Me!) download another browser and leave IE alone.

It may be a sign to buy a new computer also.

Try downloading Netscape 7.1. It's a fast browser that has never crashed on me in the (Year?) that I have used it. Never had performance issues either. I love Netscape. It's about a 15MB file, and it goes pretty quick.

Have you downloaded anything? This could be a virus. Even if you didn't download anything, it could still be a virus. I remember I got attacked by one of IE's many security holes, and someone miraculousy transmitted a Trojan Horse virus, which slowly wiped my Hard Drive, and stole all of my passwords. Bummer, but I recovered from it.

This could be a number of things. Have you said anything NEGATIVE of Bill Gates? I think he uses the microphone to listen to your conversations, and transmits the data over the Internet to his personal supercomputer. HE may have sent the virus to STOP your web browsing as punishment.

Or, maybe your computer just doesn't like you anymore.
    The bottoming-out problem can depend on the snow. Here in the SW, the snow is usually very powdery and so doesn't pack well under the vehicle. I managed to pop my wife's Subaru through a 3ft. drift down by our gate. But, you have to keep up momentum and in deep snow, it's hard to tell just where the road is.
    Well, guess what was wrong with my puter? After working on the stupid thing for two days and asking everyone for advice, I discovered the time/date thingy was off.

When I set it to the proper date and time, I tried logging in here again. Yep, I was able to log in! Yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!!

Tom

• johnvjohnv Member Posts: 40
    What time/date did your computer believe it to be? Forward or backward in time?

I suppose you were accepting the cookie but then instantly expiring it.

-j (TH Developer)
    You must have one of those Linux batteries in your 'puter. I hear they tend to fail in cold weather. Get the NetScraper out and clean the ice off it ;-)

Welcome back, mayor!

Steve, Host
    Only have a lifespan of 5-7 years...so, I guess his is dying...

I know mine is... my computer thinks it's 9:25PM.
    My puter was off because of operator error. :)

It crashed Friday night, and I could only come up in safe mode the first couple times after that.

At some point, it asked me to set the time and date. Well, old Dummy thought the two digits to the right of the month field were for the day of the month, but they were for the year.

So, my puter thought it was 2014, I guess, cause Friday was the 14th, and that's what I put in that field for the year the night it crashed.

Tom
    Thanks to all of you guys for your concern and help during my "puter crisis." Sure glad that's over and I can post again.

Thanks to the others who contributed suggestions also.

Tom

tsjay - glad to hear you are back up on your computer at home. I know about using the work computer - I tend to do that occasionally, like before work and at lunch. How was your weather and did you get out 'wheeling this past weekend?

thebigkahuna - I know all about digging out snow from below the frame. Our snow does that, though I think snow in our area is once again over with for the year. There is snow about a 1000 feet above us making some great scenery for my horseback riding. Because of the soggy stuff some of the easy roads are more interesting - the washouts provide some excitement.

To everyone else out there - I hope that everyone is safe and enjoying whatever 4x4 time they might be getting.
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    for an exhaust leak. Since it is not under warranty the cracked manifold is $1000 to replace!!! I am going to try and weld it first. If that does not work then I am getting the Borla Header to compliment my cat back. While it was there I had the new Bestop Oversize Spare tire carrier installed. This piece is sweet http://www.bestop.com/hard_accessories/

It swings out with the door instead of seperatly.

This car is eating all of my money! (better than spending it on my wife!) LOL
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    A lot of the folks at JU are praising the new Banks stainless header. Based on what I've read it appears to be built to a higher standard than the Borla, yet the price is quite reasonable. If and when the manifold fails I plan to replace it with the Banks header-and throw on the Banks cat back while I'm at it. Banks products have an excellent reputation for quality and performance, so it's an easy choice for me...
    Here is an update. Turns out that I was stupid enough to buy an extended warranty from Jeep when I bought my TJ. Well the extended warranty bought me a new Exhaust Manifold!!! It is the new piece with some Flex tube where they had been experiencing the cracking.

$100 deductible (less than they were going to charge for welding)!!

I guess if I keep having problems I will go with a header!
    working as well. I had to have a small Amp installed (under the rear seat) and wired around the sound deck Amp (directly to the sub).

I really like it! Sounds great and I figured out I can replace the speaker easy enough if need be and I still have a useable locking trunk area.
    I haven't had any problems since I got my exhaust manifold replaced spring. It also is the new type and seems to be doing very well. You might be waiting for that header for a long while...
    Hey, Jeep Buddies, I am going to get to meet eARS and Larry18 this weekend! We are meeting at Hot Springs, Arkansas, to do some wheelin' on Saturday.

Alan (eARS) and Larry (Larry18) are people who post here, or at least USED to post here. I am working on them to get them posting again!

Should be a blast this weekend. There's a place called Superlift ORV Park, and that's where we will wheel.

Tom

I agree. In fact the factory piece looks very similar to a header already (tubes etc). I would bet that a header adds minimal performance. In any case I hope I never have to mess with it again (Pepe' got so loud that the neighbors were staring).

I have also heard that the computer chip in the Jeep is a hindrance to getting the most out of performance mods (I have a K&N FIPK and a Borla Cat Back).

Anybody have a performance chip in their 4.0?
    Thanks to all who thought to send us some snow. I do wish that the weathermen could be a bit more accurate. There was only supposed to be a 30% chance of rain and a dusting of snow over 5500 feet. I ran into snow around 3000 feet, it was sticking at 3500, with about an inch at around 5000. Looks like it will be a Jeep day tomorrow!
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    I have a question folks-I have a 2002 Wrangler X and I was planning on doing some of the (routine) maintenance on my own, i.e., oil changes, lube. Will this present a problem to the dealer in terms of my warranty? Any recomendations on how to document? Or do I avoid the whole thing and allow the dealer to handle the maintence until my warranty expires? Thanks fellas.
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    For reasons not related to my Wrangler, I am driving a Chevy Cavalier for a couple of days. It's an anonymous little economy car if you're unfamiliar. I have been unable to control my Jeep Wave reflex though. Nobody's waving back. I can only attribute it to the fact that I'm too low to the ground.

Gary
    No, you don't have to go to the dealer for your oil changes. You can keep a log book to record your oil changes, if you want to. It's a good idea to have such a thing for your own purposes anyway. Keep track not only of oil changes, but also other maintenance or repair items.

If you ever sell your Jeep, that log book might be a good thing to show a prospective buyer. But, WHY would you ever sell your Jeep??? :)

Good luck.

Tom

Maybe you can start a "Cavalier Wave?" :)

I drive my little S-10 pickup to work most of the time, and I know what you mean: I still find myself looking for Jeeps as I drive that truck.

It's hard to remember not to wave at Jeeps when I am in the truck.

Tom

• shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    We have so many jeeps around Flagstaff that very few bother to wave. A lot are driven by college girls and I am sure they wonder why this "Dad" is flirting with them. :)

There may be more commaraderie(sp) where Jeeps are more exclusive.

I have noticed that "older" drivers do seem to wave more often.
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    I have stock 15" (225 75R 15) tires on my Wrangler X which has the Dana 35 rear axle and 3.07 gear ratio--I want to bump up to a 31x10.5 tire. (I like the Goodyear Wrangler MTR tire). How will this affect the overall performance/handling/etc., if at all? Would this be something recommended or frowned upon? Thanks-much appreciated.
    Don't know the backspacing on your wheels, but you might need to add some washers on your steering stops to prevent a rub on the control arms at full turn. I didn't have to do that on my Jeep, though.

I went with 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrains with no lift of any kind. I had the Canyon wheels at that time, and they have 5.5" backspacing. If you are not familiar with backspacing, it is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (back surface of center plate that has the holes for the lug studs to go through) to the edge of the rim on the inside of the wheel (where the inside tire bead is). The less the backspacing, the more the tires stick out and the more the backspacing, the less the tires stick out. More backspacing pulls the tires in closer to the frame and can mean that you will rub a wide tire on the spring perch or something.

Like I said, no problem on mine with the Canyons and the 5.5" backspacing.

You other worry would be rubbing the flares with the larger diameter tires. I did not have that problem either, but I did NOT disconnect my sway bar when wheelin' while I was in that configuration, so I don't know if it would have been a problem or not. All I can say is that it was NOT a problem with the sway bar connected.

With the 3.07 gears, you will notice some loss of acceleration and power. You might find yourself downshifting to fourth gear on long hills out on the highway ( I assume you have a five speed?).

Of course, you speedometer will be off by the same percentage that your tire diameter increased.

Hope this helps ya.

Tom