Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Gilbus:

I test drove a soft top and took it up to 75 mph. The top noise was not bad at all in my opinion, and the one I was driving had the half metal doors. I would expect the noise to have been even less with full metal doors.

I am getting a hard top because I am almost sure that I would want the top off very rarely. I will be using the Jeep as my only transportation, and I like the idea of being able to lock the doors and have a little security when I am traveling.

The hard tops come off too, so on those rare occasions that I really want to do so, I can still take the top off.

They had a silverstone Sport in the showroom when I was at the dealership Tuesday evening to make the deal on my Jeep. It was beautiful! I have seen a couple of them on the road too, and they are definitely sharp. That was a very, very close second color choice in my opinion. I could have almost flipped a coin between white and silverstone.

tsjay
  • tsjay since your here everyday you wanna fill me in on the silverstone? is it just silver or gray?
    steepjeep
  • gilbusgilbus Posts: 13
    The "silverstone" is a shiney gray...I guess...silver. But it's not the metalic silver you may be used to seeing on cars like the Honda S2000 or Audi TT. It's more of a rugged silver...if that makes any sense.

-Gil-
  • Congrads tsjay! Well, it has been a great first week with the Sport! In fact, tsjay, after a week of commuting, I would like to change my vote to in the middle on the "Jeep as commuter" question. (recount?) Here are just a few road notes on the commuter issue to consider:

Handle's great, love the nimble size. Great around the city streets and parking.
    Noisy inside, but not too bad with hardtop. I don't mind it at all. Can still hear stereo.
    Sensitive steering. Overcorrected too much at first, getting used to it, but doesn't wander.
    Hops, skips, and jumps. The 30" package is great, but it makes for a jumpy and jarring ride on rough pavement. This to me takes more getting used to then the noise.

But overall, it is just plain fun to drive, and the sacrifices are not overwhelming. I think the issue is it suffers in comparison as a commuter if you are coming from a luxo box like me. But once I get used to it, it will be a great overall ride, and no other vehicle can touch the perks.

BTW, tsjay, I had to take the hardtop off on Sunday to remove the softtop (dual top option). I did not find it an easy task. Hardtop is bulky and weighs a good bit. Two of us got it off and on, but I would never attempt it alone and would recommend a lift. I am planning to get one when I need to take it off again this spring. Anyone have any recommendations/tips ?

Kevin
  • I Did it once with a couple ropes around a tree limb. It worked but not that well. I have done it myself by wiggling it on to my back and I put it back on that way to. For this method having a small hill or loading dock type of arragement works well. This was on my CJ I'd immagine the TJ's top is heavier. I know it can be done quite easily with a couple of those ratcheting tiedown straps and a couple rafters or something overhead. I haven't tried or seen one of those $120 things. I guess if your going to be a Jeep person for life it might be worth while. The easiest way I have experienced is to get a a couple of friends together and lift it off. Hope any of this is helpful and not just me rambling.
    The silverstone is a medium gray, I guess you'd say, but it is shiny enough to call it silver. It does have some metallic in it, but the metallic is kind of subdued, and not overdone.

Maybe pewter is the best way to descrive the color???

However you describe it or whatever you call it, it is really pretty. The black top goes real nicely with the silverstone sheet metal. I am sure that's what I would have gotten if I hadn't seen that white Jeep with the black top this past summer and fallen head over heels in love.

Hope this helps, but it probably doesn't.

tsjay
  • I can remove/replace the hardtop by myself by centering it on my back and walking onto the Jeep. Though this is no fun, it'll do in a pinch. The other option is the tie down strap/hoist method. This spring/summer, I removed the top by attaching a couple of tie downs to the roof of my garage. They lift the top off easily and double as storage. Much better than paying $100+ for a hoist.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Wrangler!

So, I will put you in the "undecided" column on having a Jeep for all-purpose driving. Fortunately, this will have no bearing on the outcome of the vote: it is now 6 to 1, with one undecided.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL MINE COMES IN!!!!!!!!

They said it would be four to five weeks, but that puts it right up to Christmas, and if there are any delays, it could be the end of January before I see my Jeep. They shut the line down for a couple weeks during the holidays.

Keep having fun with that new Jeep.

tsjay
  • Tsjay:
    I ordered mine the last week of october. I called Jeep and they said its not scheduled to be built till the 2nd week of December. I have heard it can take 2 to 3 more weeks from final assembly to get shipped to your destination. I hope I have mine by Xmas and I hope you have yours too..
    Man, I hope we do both get our Jeeps by Christmas!

Like I said, there is a shutdown for a couple weeks over the holidays, so if our Jeeps aren't made and shipped by the shutdown, there will be another two-week delay. Bummer!!!

My dealer said he has been getting his Jeeps within four to five weeks after the order is placed. I don't know if he was talking about Jeeps for his inventory or for individuals, if that makes any difference. He did say that if you talk to the people at Jeep, they cover their butts and give you a longer time than they actually think it will take, so maybe we will both luck out.

Good luck to both of us!

tsjay
  • Mine has been on order for the past month. I'm flying in to pick it up on the 25th (I am relocating from S.America to MN in Jan). I went with the Sport Silverstone, 5spd, Dana44, 30in tire pkg w/Canyons, and Black Hardtop. I have been going back and forth since then, debating as to the color as well (one day its AmberFire, the next SteelBlue, the next White or Sienna). Finally I just decided to stick with my first choice...after all, I am finally getting the Jeep I've always wanted!!!
  • I ordered my TJ on August 29th and took it home October 3rd. It was exactly 5 weeks for me, but with the Holidays, that time will probably be longer now....
    We who have Jeeps on order sound like a bunch of expectant fathers in a maternity ward, don't we?

tsjay
  • vubsvubs Posts: 14
    $25k (drive out) for an auto sahara w/abs, traclok, hardtop, cruise, and sentry key! man, that's a lot for what is possibly the crudest vehicle on the market. i still want this jeep to be my first car, but can't seem to get myself to put down a deposit for one. would a similarly equipped sport be much less? if only these dealers can be more like Lexus or Infiniti (half of 'em aren't even replying to my inquiries). then maybe i wouldn't be having second thoughts. somebody please tell me this will be worth it...
  • FYI: I have been to 3 jeep dealers in the Northern Virginia area and could not find a wrangler I wanted. Thought I was going to have to order one and pray it got here by Christmas. Not any more found a dealer 20 min from work that has over 70 wranglers sitting on the lot. It was like I had died and gone to jeep heaven. Wranglers in every color and option scheme you could think of. Dealer is Dulles jeep in Leesburg.
  • Someone out there can answer this as soon as it gets dark. On a 95 Wrangler, is the headlight switch and dimmer control supposed to be illuminated like the rest of the dash switches & gauges?
  • I had a 1994 YJ Sahara and the head lighg switch was NOT illuminated. It also didn't have a buzzer to notify you that the lights were on when the engine was off and door was open. I found this weird because it would buzz when you left the key in the ignition and open the door. ( A reminder that you were locking your keys in the Jeep). But why would you want to have a key reminder? If you lock your keys in the Jeep, UNZIP the windows and open the door. I couldn't tell you the times I left my lights on (Driving durring the day in rain) and had to pop the clutch or get a jump start because I left my lights on. I guess what I'm babbling about is that I wish at the time it had a reminder that your lights were on..
    Well....Giddy up....
  • I have a question. I want to replace my Mini console in my 2001 TJ (which is on order)with the larger console. I didnt order the package that came with the large console and all those lights. So I found a place that will sell me the Large console for under $100. What I was wondering is how hard is it to replace the mini console with the larger one. I have a 5 speed. If anyone knows please give me a heads up....

Giddy Up....
    ChefRKM
  • I don't think the switch is supposed to be lit up considering the switch in my 2000 Sahara doesn't light up either.
  • I originally wanted a Wrangler when they changed the body style in 96/97. Back then, they were in so much demand (especially with the 6 cyl) that the dealer wasn't willing to bend on sticker price. I bought a new Explorer instead. Last December, it was time to replace my wheels and I started looking at Jeeps. I was willing to buy a Sport (loaded like the Sahara) instead of the Sahara because it was a little bit cheaper. I wanted the ABS as well as the 30" wheels. DC stopped offering this soon after. Anyway, I thought I would have to order it since no dealers stock Jeeps with ABS. Well, I lucked out...I found a dealer in Delaware that had 3 Saharas with ABS on the lot. He gave me the Jeep below invoice AND gave me an awesome trade in for my Explorer.

What I am saying, I guess, is that sticker price means nothing. My Sahara is fully loaded and I got it way closer to 20k.