Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    We ran the drill version bikini during the hot and rainy part of the summer last year. See below for info and pics:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#bikini

The drill version requires the patience to install the header but is easy to slip on and off once the header is there. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. We garage our Jeep, but did get caught in a few heavy downpours. A towell under the seat and a squegee to clear the inside of the windshield if you have to drive are all that are needed outside a sense of adventure...

HTH

-twylie

I snapped a few shots of the area the 4.0 recall is concerned with. Hope this helps. When you look in there, its basically the are between the throttle body (connects to the big black tube from the airbox) and the valve cover. It's tough to see the "debris collection area" in the photos but this should point you in the right direction if you're concerned about cleaning it out before the recall work can be done.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/manifold.htm

-twylie

• dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    Keep us up to date on the latest location of your Jeepie to be ;) Can't wait to see some pics when you get them...post them here and Gill's so I'm sure to see them. It'll give me inspiration for when I get mine :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Hey all

I have a 4-cylinder SE. Is my Jeep being recalled too, or is it only the 6-cylinders?

yellowman
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Well, had the Jeep in for an oil change (Mobil 1 of course) and I also had the air filter replaced. Despite criticisms, I went with Fram on both the air and oil filters. Got the tires rotated, and my guy told me I'm at 50% on the front brakes and 80% on the rear, so I might have the front ones changed next time. Does this sound about right? I do use the Jeep as an everyday driver in city traffic, so there is a lot of stop-and-go.

yellowman
    The 6 cyl are the only ones being recalled for the issue posted above.

Front brakes will wear out faster than the rears. When the time comes to replace the pads, you might want to consider Performance Friction pads from Autozone. They perform much better than standard pads and are recommended by many Jeepers.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I think your Jeep might be on the ignition recall, but maybe not. The ignition recall was for Jeeps made between certain production dates, and yours might have been built after the ending date.

As Twylie said above, the recall for debris build up is for the 4.0 engine only.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • shane202shane202 Posts: 2
    I wanted to order a 2002 in Silverstone when I was told that color was no longer available. No dealership knows why or will tell me, and Jeep said only that a different color silver will be available next year. Does anyone know of any problems with this color or have any information at all? I'm just wondering if I should pick one of the remaining one's off the lot. Thanks for a response.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I saw the advice on Performance Friction pads from Autozone. What about for rear drum shoes? How about for rotors and drums themselves?

Any seconds on these? Any other alternatives?

Thanks.
    Now that it is 80-90 degrees here in NE, I have the doors off (hardtop hopefully this weekend, unless it snows, and April/May snow is HEAVY!).

I am wondering who has had what kind of luck with the mirror relocating brackets or other mirrors or advice for use when doors are off.

Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,312
    Dealers Prepare for Jeep Recall

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• jayorionjayorion Posts: 18
    Does anyone know where I can find locking wheel hubs for a 1990 Jeep Wrangler?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    shane202

My GUESS would be that it has something to do with sales. It seems like Jeep has been dropping and adding colors lately.

jayorion
    Warn has some good ones.
    http://www.trailquest.com/warn/fwhc.shtml

anonymous02
    I haven't been using mirrors. Some people mount CJ style mirrors. I probably will go with sun performance but their passenger side mirror is basically useless. I haven't heard of anything better.
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Have you tried www.4wd.com and www.quadratec.com? They have a lot of those types of parts.
  • jeepheadjeephead Posts: 49
    I've been looking into relocating my mirrors, too, for the summer when the doors are off. I am planning on ordering the brackets soon, and moving my mirrors from off of the door. The ones I am planning on ordering are from quadratec.com, and they are part # 13125 00. These look like they basically move the mirror forward, off of the door and next to the windshield. I can let you know how well they work if you like.

Jeephead
  • cklausingcklausing Posts: 16
    I went through this whole mess some time ago, and actually have posted about it once a month or two back.

Basically, I went the replacement mirror route instead of the relocation route. I like where the mirrors are on my half-doors, and didn't really want to be taking them on/off each time I decided to ditch the doors (didn't know for sure if they would interfere with the doors openning if they were in the relocated position).

Ended up going with a pair of the Quick-Mirror-2's from Quadratec. These basically mount onto the windshield hinge, and are mirrors on extended arms. For the most part, I am satisfied, as they do let me legally drive without doors, but here are my thoughts:

1) very easy install. Total time was about 10 minutes, and most of that was just finding the right torx bit to use on the windshield hinge.

2) once you've got the brackets on, the actual mounting/unmounting of the mirrors takes all of about 30 seconds. Just screw them onto the bracket (which you can leave attached) and you are good to go.

3) The driver's side mirror works great so long as you make sure to get it good and tight. If you don't, the torque caused by the wind at highway speed will cause the mirror to rotate inwards on it's arm.

4) The passenger side mirror is pretty much useless at anything other than "around town" speeds. You'd think that it would just be a mirror image of the driver's side, but it is totally different in style. The differences make it REALLY easy for the wind to get ahold of and torque the mirror and arm on the bracket. No matter how tight I attached it, as soon as I got above about 40mph, it started to pivot.

At this point, I could get an extra driver's side mirror kit, and just use the arm to mount the passenger side in the same way as my driver side is done. Or, I could do what I'm currently doing and just go without a passenger side mirror. With the top and doors off, it isn't like it is exactly difficult to see what is beside me!
  • desnodesno Posts: 28
    Hi ya'll! I've got a patriot blue 2002 Wrangler X 4wd, all the good options, and tan soft top and interior. I've got some questions concerning getting a bikini top and duster. Does anyone have much experience with the bestop safari bikini top, duster, and windjammer? If I've got my top down and it rains, is there anything to protect my radio, speakers, sound bar? Or will it be affected at all? Also, I've noticed that there isn't much if anything out for the 2002's, is there that big of a difference between 01's and 02's? I live in eastern NC so it can rain at the drop of a hat.

des'
  • jayorionjayorion Posts: 18
    To Texasjeep and goducks1

Thanks for the help. I'm new to this. Just got this Jeep a few months ago. I'll try your recommendations.
    Thanks Again
    Jay
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    You mean I have ANOTHER recall to take care of?
    I just got the Ignition recall done now I gotta take it back for another? Is this NECESSARY??
    just wondering..

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    Congratulation on your noble black steed becoming a 100k member
    I've got info and pics on my site on the bikini and duster. I just got a windjammer to complete the set, but haven't had time to install it and see how it works. http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm

The set isn't waterproof as you'll end up with areas around the doors that would allow water to get in, but it makes a nice alternative to using the soft top and carrying the windows with you at all times. We ran the duster without the back seat most of the summer and it was nice to have a little more storage space for running errands. Since we left the duster on, we used the bikini to cover the front area so we wouldn't have to put the top back up (requires removing the duster). The bikini is prety good at keeping rain out as long as you're stopped. When driving, you get blow back around the windshield and over the top of the bikini onto the back of your head. I'll see how much the windjammer helps with this. We got in the habit of folding our seats forward when we went in somewhere and kept a towel in the back to dry off anything that gets too wet. Let me know if you have any questions.

-twylie

• big_davebig_dave Posts: 13
    Does anybody have or know anything about 1999.5 Wranglers? I just had my brakes done, and the mechanic ran into problems because even though my Sport is a '99, he said it was made in the second half of the year and, as a result, it's more like a 2000 model for parts.

Anyone know what the major differences are between the first and second halves of that model year, or where I could find out? Would I be subject to the recall? Thanks!
  • redkey1redkey1 Posts: 270
    I am about to swap tops as it has been about 70 the past week here in boston. I seem to have misplaced my torx bit that they give you, what head number do I need to get? Also, I have heard sailkote works wonders on making the zippers easier to use, any other suggestions?
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    For removing my Jeep's hard top (a 1998), I use a T40 bit. You should be able to buy just that size at any decent hardware store.
  • desnodesno Posts: 28
    Thanks for your advice. I just don't want to invest money in something that's not going to do me any good. I hope that the windjammer/duster/bikini top combo works for you and helps keep out most of the rain, even in a good carolina downpour. It'll at least help me convince my wife to let me buy those cool seat covers! :-) I like the look and I want to be able to just have to store the half doors and not the rest of the windows with the top.

Please keep up the posts!! I love getting on here and reading and seeing the pics on the websites!
  • huckhillhuckhill Posts: 20
    I had a lot of luck with a best-top bikini on my CJ. But, beware that in one of those sudden downpours (l lived in Asheville, NC and those downpours are pretty much every afternoon), you will get a lot of water coming from behind you while driving, so you may want to consider mud guards. Also, when the jeep was sitting still, it would collect quite a lake in the bikini top and tipping the water out without soaking yourself or passangers was quite a trick. And, I would not spend a fortune on the top unless you can secure it. Easy-off can mean easy-gone.

But, having said that, go for it. It is still worth it for summer motoring!
    I had to have a zipper repaired, and the lady told me just plain old silicone spray works great. She said to keep the zippers clean with warm soapy water, then rinse with plain water, THEN after it dries, spray the zippers with silicone.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    After having rested for a day or so in the state of Indiana, my Sport is headed for Texas.

Latest update shows it having left Salemn, IL at 0857 today. The ETA for Mesquite is on the 21st at 0645 (if I am reading this thing correctly)..

The time is not bad since I ordered it on the 1st of April.
  • oceantoad, I definitely know what it's like to do the "rail watch". I spent an entire weekend reloading the site, anxiously awaiting each new location. It's both frustrating knowing your new baby is so close and satisfying knowing it won't be long. Keep us updated!
  • dwranglerdwrangler Posts: 127
    Step one is to put the Firechicken (Firebird) up for sale. Well there are now two signs in the windows (of the doors) announcing that it's for sale. I'm going to call the local station to do just that. Hopefully I'll be selling it soon. Now if my Dad will remember that he said I could use his truck til I either found a used one or saved enough through the summer and early fall to get a new Jeep...I'm hoping for the new Jeep :)

Well I'll keep ya updated.

Hug you Jeeps for me.

;)

dwrangler