Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    Whoever was looking for it, I think I found where you can get both in one product:

http://www.turbocity.com/JeepBumpers.htm

Yeah, but....

The OME is pretty basic. No steering arm drop. Also missing a few of the other items...

BUT, from what I've read, their shocks and springs can't be beat, and THAT is the main part of the suspension, right?

I'd just hate to spring for that (pun intended) and then bounce for the additional items as well (pun intended again).
  • huckhillhuckhill Posts: 20
    I saw a similar story on auto.com and in the Wall Street Journal. Beware that the deals are only on certain 02 models. I did notice that TJ sales are down for May and for 2002, so this might help. Also, be on guard, the financing is "on approved credit" which might hinder some of us. I just hope that they keep the 7yrs. warranty.

BTW, saw a dealer advertise the 7yr. warranty as a cost "option" for $700. I am sure that this is not correct, so you may want to keep your eyes on the bottom line.
  • appstate88appstate88 Posts: 40
    Well, need some sage advice from those who have had the dreaded "exhaust manifold" problems.

My wifes 98 Sahara has started sounding rough, especially under heavy acceleration. Like there is a hole somewhere. We took it in and did a full tune-up (it was due...), and other maintenance stuff, and it didn't seem to change much.

So, I talked to our Jeep Service guy and he said "Sounds like that Exhaust Manifold has a crack or something. Happens all the time to jeeps and it will cost about $1200...)

Yipes!

Couple questions...

1- What the hell is an exhaust manifold, what does it do, and will it hurt the engine if we keep on driving it for awhile?

2- $1200 seems kind of high, and is there another brand of Exhaust manifold that isn't as liable to cracking?

Thanks for your help and advice!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,309
    For those long links, try makeashorterlink.com.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    The exhaust manifold is the first piece of the exhaust system external to the engine. It is the thing that collects the exhaust from each cylinder and sends it to the exhaust pipe. That's as technical as I can get, since I ain't no mechanic.

I know the 97 Wranglers with the 4.0 engine were notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds, and there was either a TSB or a recall on them. It was a design flaw is what I heard, that didn't allow any flex somehow or other, so instead of flexing, they just broke after a while.

I didn't know the problem carried over into the 98's, but maybe it did.

If DC won't fix it for free, since it is past warranty, then I would go to a private shop and have it fixed rather than pay the exhorbitant rate at a dealer. You could go with an after market header and have someone put it on for you. They make headers that can actually improve your engine's performance, and I'll bet they would be cheaper than the original equipment manifold anyway. Might be time to look at a whole new exhaust system all the way back for better power and a nice mellow sound.

I would check this out, since you have to replace the manifold anyway. I'll bet for the $1200 the dealer quoted you, you could get a whole after market exhaust system that would be better than the original.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    It is definitely a problem on the 98 Wranglers. Mtngal just went through this with her 98 Sport. I am crossing my fingers my Jeep (also a 98 Sport) won't get this problem but the odds don't seem very good. If it happens to me, I am definitely NOT going to go with a new factory manifold, since (as I understand) it can just happen again. I seem to remember that some people have had to fix this more than once. Go aftermarket on this one; people seem to like the Borlas.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I went to a local shop to get mine replaced. I didn't go aftermarket, but the shop did buy me the redesigned manifold (one that will flex, not break). I could not find any record of a recall on the manifold for '98, but did find a TSB on the bolts. The part is something like $560 and the labor can be expensive, depending on how many bolts break off. Mine ended up being a total of $800 in Bakersfield (not the biggest city in the world, but much friendlier than LA), so I would guess that you can do better than $1200.

I actually drove my Wrangler for almost a year before I bothered to have it replaced. It got louder over time (guess more cracks happened). I got tired of the noise, and figured that it wouldn't pass California state smog test with it the way it was...
  • fastm3fastm3 Posts: 3
    Hi,

I've got a 2000 Wrangler Sport that I'd like to sell. It's a beautiful Solar yellow, only 14000 miles, and in as new condition. Any ideas on the best web site(s) to advertise it?

Thanks,

Alan
    Autotrader.com would be good. They are tied in with ebay somehow.

Email me, and maybe I can put you onto a buyer. (see my profile)

Tom

• lawdawgfllawdawgfl Posts: 75
    No takers on trading for a Trooper?.... damn :( I'll keep tryin, I WANT A JEEP!!!!
    Ain't but one cure for Wrangler Fever, and it sure sounds like you have Wrangler Fever. Just do it, and get it over with! That's what I had to do about a year and a half ago.

I have had NOT ONE regret, either. I was in no position to trade, having just traded eight months earlier for a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix GT, preceded 13 months earlier by a trade for a new 99 Grand Cherokee. I was $8000 upside down on trade in because of too frequent trades, but I didn't let that stop me. Took out a home equity loan to cover some of that trade in deficit. :)

It has been well worth the sacrifice! I have found a vehicle that I can be satisfied with for a long, long time. No more trading for this old boy.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Will you trade your Trooper for my Taco? Then you can be in really bad shape, since my Taco depreciates faster than I can pay it off. I wouldn't trade my Wrangler for anything at this point...
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    anonymous02

I ordered a trail rack system but decided against it. I want to use it when I off-road and I didn't want all that extra weight hanging off the back of my Jeep when climbing hills. I want my front wheels to be able to do more work and less chances of going over backwards. Just my thoughts on it. I plan on getting a receiver mount rack for non off-roading and looking at getting a internal rack to help with storage for off-roading.

You don't really need a lift to fit 31s. You could go with a body lift or spring spacer lift and then get a bigger suspension lift later if you want 33s or bigger. I have heard good things about both Rusty's and OME's lift. I would check with someone that has the OME lift but you may not need those extra items for that lift. Or you could look at piecing together a kit for yourself.
    I got a receiver rack for non-offroading (except maybe beach) at Walmart for like $69. It seems pretty sturdy, and holds coolers, storage containers, and firewood. It also has an optional bike rack kit.

lifts: I have 31 inch tires now, and they rub when pulling out of my driveway. I want to be able to use the jeep a little more aggressively off-road, and figure it will only rub more when pushing it. I need the room in there!

I might just give Rusty's a call and see if they have springs with different rates available.

Thanks.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Being able to fit a certain size of tire, and being able to use that tire to its fullest are two different things.

The OME lift is designed to use 31" tires with full articulation. It's generally regarded as a high quality well matched system that's a little more expensive than others on the market.

You won't need to think about a dropped pitman arm until you go to at least 4"+, at which time a Slip Yoke Eliminator, longer rear driveshaft, adjustable upper and lower control arms and a host of smaller bits and pieces will take priority.

HTH
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,323
    Thanks everybody for all the helpful advice on buying a Wrangler.

FASTm3 -- send me details on your Jeep if it is a/t.

Yeah, I'm debating about the hardtop. I've had them on sportscars and never, ever used them but then never took the sports cars out in wretched snowy weather. The hard tops just rotted away.

The Jeep will live in Aspen, however, which, while not a severe climate, can get reasonably cold and snowy at times.

I'm just kinda skeptical that the heater with only a soft top will make the Jeep comfortable when you are doing 55 mph in 10-20 degree weather. But if you guys have done it, hey I'll believe you.

div2--- thanks for the tip on the auto trans. So you say that in 2003 the Wrangler will have a 4-speed o/d auto, did I get that right? I don't think the 4-wheel discs are all that important on a vehicle like this, but the better auto trans is long overdue I think. And remember, gas in Aspen is $2.18 for premium!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I have run two different sets of 31's on Thelma Jane before getting that little bitty 2" Procomp lift and had no rubbing when turning or offroading. I did not disconnect sway bars, so I might have rubbed if I had done that, but I had absolutely no problem running the 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrains and then the 31 x 10.50 Mud Terrains with no lift of any kind. I didn't have to install washers on the turn stops and increase my turning radius or anything.

Wonder why there is so much difference from Jeep to Jeep? Even the same model and year Jeeps must be different.

Tom

I used to grieve myself to death about not getting the soft top for Thelma Jane, but I am very happy now with the hard top only.

Whether to get the hard top, soft top, or dual tops is entirely dependent on your particular situation. No one can just say without qualification that one top is better than the other or that the dual top option is the way to go.

The weather here in western Ky is suitable for topless Jeepin' about eight or nine months a year, as far as the temperature goes. We do have rainy periods, though.

Whether or not the Jeep will be your daily driver is a major consideration too. After buying a little S10 pickup for my work vehicle, I didn't have to depend on driving Thelma Jane every day. So, I take the hard top off (and the doors off) and leave her in the garage and drive the S10 if it is raining or if rain is in the forecast.

If I had to drive Thelma rain or shine, I would definitely want the soft top.

So, I guess my point is that if you can afford to take the hard top off and leave it off for long periods, then that might be the way you should go.

The hard top is quieter than the soft top and provides some security for items left in the Jeep.

I really don't think there is a noticeable difference in the heating and cooling with the hard top vs the soft top from all that I have heard. I have no personal basis for comparison, however.

Soft tops need replacing every few years, and the windows get scratched and all.

I am happy that I got the hard top only, but that is just because of the way I use my Jeep and because of the climate here.

Tom

• appstate88appstate88 Posts: 40
    Thanks all! Lots of great information on a pretty common problem.

Anonymous-Thanks for the web-sites...Is headers just another name for exhaust manifold? And if so, and I went with one of these would I have to get a whole new exhaust system or would it fit the factory exhaust?

Tom-Thanks for the "Exhaust Manifold for Dummies". I'm definitely looking at going to an independedt for this. In the past we've trusted our Local Jeep Dealer, but have just recently gotten a new Service Advisor. He seems to make more expensive recommendations, and $1200 does seem like a lot!

Ducks and MtnGal- Thanks fellow '98ers! Misery loves company! Yep, not going with a factory manifold when we replace it. And since it doesn't seem to affect the power, we'll drive it until we can't stand it anymore! I hope Raleigh is as reasonable as Bakersfield is:)

Thanks again for the great advice guys!

Cam
    Once again, I am no mechanic, so check this out with someone who is, but I have heard that running with a cracked exhaust manifold can cause burnt valves. I think it lets things get too hot, since there is a source of oxygen from the hole in the manifold or something like that. DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS! Check with someone who knows. :)

Also, I suppose you could say the factory manifold is a header, but people usually reserve the term "header" for an after market device. They serve the same purpose, but after market headers are more efficient at letting the exhaust gasses get out of the engine, thus relieving some back pressure and making the engine gain some horsepower. Since you have an inline six, only one header is needed. There would be a header on each side of a V6 or a V8 engine.

You don't have to do anything about the rest of the exhaust system, but to gain the fullest advantage of the header, a less restrictive exhaust system from the header on back would be needed.

I know only enough to be dangerous, so check all this out with a good mechanic.

Tom

• goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    I'm also pretty surprised to see you here, but I think it's great you're considering a Jeep. Supposedly Enzo Ferrari himself said that the Jeep is the only true American sports car.

Anyway, to weigh in on the hard vs soft top debate--I lived in Oregon for 8 years and did a lot of driving in the rain (in the valleys) and the snow (in the Cascades). My first Jeep was a soft top YJ and the heater worked fine up in the mountains in the winter, I was never cold. However, the hard top on my TJ was preferable for a number of reasons in the mountains in the winter. It is quieter (though that is less of an issue with the new soft tops). The hard top has a rear wiper/defroster--this is very useful on winter roads, as soft top windows seem to get grimy pretty quickly. Your stuff is more secure at the lodge or wherever and you can access the back more easily--just open the tailgate and the back window pops up vs unzipping a soft top window. A hard top handles 8 or 10 inches of snow on the roof just fine, and you can get that on a parked car in the Oregon Cascades on one day. I remember a snow bomb (load of snow being shed by a Douglas fir tree branch) landing on my Jeep one day in the Cascades with a big WHUMP! My passenger looked at me and commented "good thing you had the hard top on."

Since I moved to San Diego last year, the hard top has been parked in the garage. This is pretty much a year-round soft top sort of place. I haven't sold the hard top though--if I ever move to a place that gets winter again I know I'll want it.
    They are pretty much the same thing.

If mine were gone, I'd definitely go with an aftermarket "performance" one. They "claim" to improve performance, fuel efficiency, and even longer life for your engine (who knows how true their claims are?).

Sounds like the price and the results are both better with aftermarket. As far as fitting with factory setup, that is something you need to check with the particular manufacturer.

If you wait, your current one is going to get pretty loud, so the new one will be nice and quiet. I find that whenever I do exhaust work, it feels like a new car after having it done. Not only does it sound smoother and quieter, but it feels like it runs better too.
  • Hey fastM. I live in Newark Delaware. I've seen your ad in the News Journal, you've had no luck? Your offering a heck of a deal. I'd try the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Truck Trader, you know, the one with the photo ads. You can also try putting ads in the local super market bulletin boards and keep a for sale sign in your window. I recently sold my 02' 4 cylinder in the Jornal and got a great price. Good luck! If I hear of anyone interested I'll let you know.,
    Kahuna
  • smoomaw2smoomaw2 Posts: 4
    tsjay- Thanks for the welcome. I would like to get the new jeep offroad at some point. Either the Badlands or KY sound like fun sometime.

lawdawgfl- I actually don't have any factory warranty left on the 99 Jeep I bought. It was originally purchased in June of 99 so the 3 years on the warranty has run even though the mileage hasn't. Good luck.
  • fastm3fastm3 Posts: 3
    Hi,

Thanks Tom, Mr. Shiftright, and thebigkahuna for your messages and suggestions. I'm actually pretty amazed myself that it hasn't sold it, since as I mentioned it's a popular color, only has 14,000 mi, and is like new...and I'm asking over $1000 less than the Kelley's Blue Book price too!!

I just took a couple of photos and after I get them scanned I'll make a flyer to post in the local stores. I'll probably also post in the online autotrader.com, even though it used to be free and now you've gotta pay...but I guess that's where the net is headed...

Mr. Shiftright, unfortunately my Jeep is 5 speed not a/t, so I assume you wouldn't be interested?

Thanks again,

Alan
    I got some 1" bolts to replace the 3/4" bolts that came with the header, and I was able to mount the header using the new bolts. I guess it is seated properly.

I have put the safari top on, but I am going to let it stretch a while and then go tighten all the straps.

Have to say that I am not real impressed with it so far, but maybe I will get used to the looks of it after some time goes by. I know it isn't something for "looks," but I was hoping it wouldn't detract from Thelma's appearance too much.

Also, it doesn't go all the way back as far as I thought it would, and Ross Allen will only have shade if he gets up toward the front of the cargo area. I guess it can't go back far enough to hang down any, cause it would catch wind that way, but it looks like it could have gone back further without hanging down. Maybe after it sretches a while it will go back further.

Tom

Thanks for the review. I was considering the safari top myself, but after reading this, will just stick with the factory top.