Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    Hey guys and gals,

Is anybody planning on attending a Jeep Jamboree this year?

I registered yesterday for the appalachian Jamboree on oct 12-13-14 in Murphy N.C. The view is supposed to be really nice and it's rated 5-9. Since this is my first Jamboree and my Jeep hasn't been modified "yet", I plan on staying on the trails rated 5-6.

Apparently the appalachian is one of the most popular trail, so you have to reserve way in advance. The Hotels and bed & Breakfast in Murphy NC are filling up real fast. I ended up reserving a room in a really nice bed & Breakfast

called Huntington hall. You can check their web site http://www.bed-breakfast-inn.com

I think it would be cool if a few of us could meet at that Jamboree and have a good time on the trails.

I'm really excited about this trip, it's gonna be a lot of fun!!!

Dennis

Hope to see you on the trails

By the way, if you plan on attending one of these events, NOW is the time to start planning. Otherwise you gonna end up staying in your tent. Which might not be a bad thing, but mid-october in NC gets a little cold and I know for a fact that my wife wouldn't go for that.

START PLANNING NOW!!!

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Well, it looks like me and dragonfly are going to see you there! Both of us are going to that Jamboree also. This will be our first Jamboree, but I do know that it will be pretty as I live about 45min from the mountains and man are they pretty in the fall. We'll have to keep an eye out for each other. It should be fun! Hope to see you there.
    That is so cool. Have you decided where you guys are gonna stay? Also if you have a CB radio we can probably track down each other that way, and even if you don't have one install in your Jeep, you should pick up a portable one from Radio Shack just before the Jamboree. The trail leader has a CB and communicates with us and let us know what's going on.

See you there
    Dennis
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Tsjay: Oh, I've been around, just been busy looking for a more permanent job than the one I have right now...your Jeep looks great and I am glad you are happy with it. I just upgraded some stuff on mine, added some black Smittybuilt Sure-steps (nerf bars), front and rear tow hooks and some new tires (30" BF Goodrich All Terrains). I waxed it when I was down in California last month and one of my friends mentioned that it still looks brand new. 26,000 miles and no real problems with it though I am religious on upkeep too. As always, I have the love/hate relationship with it, but it's almost paid off and I gotta think of those summer months with the top down.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Your Jeep is almost paid for? So is mine! I only owe 59 more payments of $539.29 plus the $6000.00 I borrowed on a home equity loan for a down payment.

Wanted that Jeep pretty bad, didn't I?

I don't care. Crap, you can't take it with you, you know.

Obviously, I am going to have to keep Thelma Jane for a long time, and I really don't think that will be a problem.

I sure am glad you are back and posting again. The group just wasn't the same without the old "duck dude" around.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    You guys are tempting me! That's a long way from where I live, but I would already have some buddies there. There's supposed to be a Jamboree in eastern Ky. that would be much, much closer for me, but I don't know anyone that's going there, unless kevin24525 is going to that one (I think he said something about going to that one in eastern Ky. anyway.)

Lord, I'll bet that one you guys are talking about would be a twelve or fourteen hour drive for me and Thelma.

It would sure be a blast though!

I'll give it some serious thought. I am really into pretty scenery as well as Jeeps, so it sounds like that one would be right up my alley. (I guess it would be right up Alee's alley too, huh Alee?) Do they allow pets? I would have to take Ross Allen if I go!

tsjay
    Nope, we don't know where we're going to stay yet, but if all else fails I'll just pitch a tent on top of my rack or just sleep in the jeeps... I've done that before, a little cramped but otherwise slept like a baby. I may talk my girlfriend (dragonfly03)into that bed and breakfast, if there is any room left... As far as the CB I hope to pick one up from Wal-Mart for $35. ($70 at the local CB shop). But that's after I get my lift and tires and jack and tools and maybe a winch... gotta see if I get this new job at Chili's or not.

TSJAY
    Man, if you want to come on down... It'll be beautiful, there's nothing like fall in the Appalachians. We'd love to meet ya. But hey, I understand that it's a long way to travel. Honestly if you go to a Jamboree I'm sure you'll meet plenty of people to hang out with and have just as much fun. Plus Tellico (Murphy) is pretty tough, the lowest trail is a 5 and goes all the way to 9. Wouldn't want to scratch up that beautiful Thelma Jane.
    Hey, just looked at my road atlas, and I found that Murphy is about as far west as you can go in NC. I can make Chattanooga, Tennessee, in four hours no problem (go there on business), and it looks like another couple hours at most to Murphy.

I think I have even been through Murphy several years ago. The wife and I went to the Smokies after a business trip to Chattanooga, and we went through NC to go into the park from that direction.

The distance shouldn't be a problem after all.

tsjay
    Hey tsjay, try going to http://mapblast.com and click on directions. It will tell you exactly how many miles from your house to Murphy. I'm looking at somewhere around 13 hours for me. I know it's gonna be a long drive, but I know I'll never forget that weekend. Besides, don't forget that only Jeep owners can attend that event. So don't wait till it's too late and then say "I wish I would have attended a Jeep Jamboree"

Go ahead and make Thelma Janes happy. Sign her up now. You can do everything online

http://jeepjamboreeusa.com

Just do it!!!

Also think at how happy she's gonna be tonight when you hug her and tell her that you're taking her to a Jamboree.

Dennis

• sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Who is familiar with upgrading tires?

Can you go from 225/75R15 up to say:
    245/70R15, 255/70R15, 255/75R15, 265/70R15, 265/75R15, 30x9.50R15, 31x10.50R15, 8.750R16.50
    9.50R16.50, 285/75R16?

How do all these sizes compare? What are differences between old and new sizings? (*I know the 70 or 75 is aspect ratio, and the last number is rim size, but I am looking for widths and heights).

What I am looking for is a tough tire (can take rocks and curbs) which is tall, but not too too wide.

Thanks in advance.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I hope you can come buddy, it'd be cool to have 4 of us down there! I hope you decide to come, and if you do... sign up soon. Ok fellas hope to see you all there!
    Hey, guys, I ain't really crazy about the idea of getting Thelma Jane dirty, much less scratched or dented.

I can handle the dirt, I guess, but NO WAY do I want her damaged. Are class 5 or 6 trails likely to lead to damage? Without any prior experience, should I even be trying trails in the 5 or 6 range?

tsjay

• pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    I believe I read some time ago that you have a Garvin Expedition rack on your TJ and that you also had lights mounted. I have mine ordered and can't wait to get it mounted. I was wondering how you got the light wires into the Jeep. What was the best path to follow. I have a soft top, so I'm not sure how I want to do it. Can't wait to get the rack though...got it for $435+50 for shipping in Performance Products catolog (15% off sale.) Was an offer i couldn't refuse!

Thanks for any info.

-pizzadude
    Love the name man... but about how I ran the wires. I drilled a hole through the back of the light mounts to run the Daylighters metal coil through, then I just ran it down the back of the rack to the side posts on the front windshield. To get inside of the jeep without having to drill any holes I ran it under the rubber where the soft top meets the windshield. Under the rubber on both sides of the window frame (top left and right corners) is a hole that is already drilled into the frame. I ran this down the windshield frame then removed the plastic strip where the door meets to access a small hole at the bottom of the windshield frame and then under the dash and out to the battery and wiring harness... etc. This probably didn't make any sense but just take your soft top down, pull up the rubber on top of the windshield frame and you'll see the holes, then you should be able to figure out where you want to go from there. I also left some quick disconects for the wires right under the rubber so whenever I tilt the rack back to put the top down it's easier to undo the wires. I hope you like the rack! I love it, been great for trips to the beach. Be aware that wind resistance and noise lever is going to go WAY up! I don't mind because it just looks so dang awesome! If this made no sense just let me know and I'll try to take some pics and post them on my girlfriends website. http://www.sparx.muddyyellowjeep.com/
    No dirt??? why did you buy a Jeep then? J/K even if you don't have any experince the 5-7 trails should be fine for you. Just don't advise you to go on any 8-9's you can always go on a 5 and find out if you want to try any more advanced trails. I do promise you if you go that you WILL enjoy it. You already sorta know 3 people who are going to it. Besides...mud washes off, it also add a little bit of "personality" to your jeep. Also, your jeep is GOING to get scratched somehow at somepoint in time (I've got more scratches from road debries than from off-roading). Wouldn't you rather have stories about an off-roading trip that you scratched it on than a storie about a run-away shopping cart that dinged your door... I'm just saying this stuff to try and convince you to come because I know you'll love it!
  • desertfoxxdesertfoxx Member Posts: 16
    Love your Thelma Jane! I took a look at your pictures and thought I was looking at the future Rommel. Its kind of spooky how we both debated if we wanted Silverstone or Stone White paint. I also ordered the Dana 44 and Canyon wheels. While I was at it I added the foglight and tow hook package. My order was placed 3 weeks ago today and they told me 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Can't wait! Let me get my silly email account straightened out and we can drop a few lines. Have fun with Thelma Jane!
    Anybody have any experience with the Simpson or Borla systems? I got my Quadratec catalog and was checking it out(big mistake... Rommel will want this stuff). Are there any noticeable power gains? Do they have a good tone or are they just loud? Any info would be appreciated.
    Don't forget the chat possibility! Do you have Instant Message? It's free and available at aol.com. Emails are ok too, but live chatting is better.

Yeah, we must have the same taste in vehicles. I am glad I ended up with white, but I know I would have been real happy with the Silverstone too.

You made a real good point that I had never considered. The white inside of the top matches all the white metal in the interior. I need to look at a hard top Jeep in some other color to see what it looks like, but I was paying attention to that today when I was in Thelma, and you are right- there is a lot of metal that shows in the interior, and it's nice to have it match the inside of the hard top.

Holler at me via email or Instant Message. I am tjoh298765 on Instant Message and my email is in my profile.

Later

tsjay

Man, nobody is posting today! This group has been about as exciting as watching paint dry today.

Have you been tracking Rommel's progress? You been calling that Chrysler 800 number?

I would think that he has been built by now, since it has been three weeks. I got my Thelma Jane in three weeks and two days, but that was truck delivery, not rail. One of those three weeks was when the assembly plant was down for lack of orders, otherwise it would have been only two weeks and two days from order placement until I was driving her!

I hope your rail shipment goes as fast as possible, but railroads have a way of taking forever.

Let me know what you have found out if you check on him. Did you know you can actually get the exact time right to the minute when Rommel came off the line? My dealer laughed and said he had never had anyone ask for that info, but he was able to find out for me on my Thelma.

Later

tsjay

• ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    And everything was perfect, until I crossed into Mass. and stoppped to get an in-state inspection sticker, and lo! The headlights do not work, and I fail the inspection :p

It turns out the mook that installed my Lojack shorted out my headlights, and nobody knows where to get a fuse. Plus I have only 5 days before I need to get a sticker on it. Plus tomorrow evening (Sunday) I am flying out to Iowa to go hold a client's hand until next Friday.

SO, I need to find a dealer locally who is open tomorrow to leave it with him, get it fixed, and inspected. Phtooey! The dealer I bought it from couldn't have been more apologetic, and promised to cut me a check for whatever was needed not under warranty.

Moral is, no matter how competent your five-star dealer seems, conduct a full pre-delivery inspection. At the very least they could have fixed it well enough for me to drive it off and pass inspection, and solve any other problems on my own schedule.

Other than that small but very annoying problem, I am very happy with the car. Once I get this problem fixed, I should be A-Okay. Needless to say, while I will give my dealer points for doing what he could to help after the fact, I will give him much worse for not checking something small that could have saved me literally hours and ending what could have been a great day on a mixed note.

-cwk.
    Bummer! Nothing should spoil your fun on the day you pick up your new Jeep! It is supposed to be one of those happy days you will always cherish in your memory.

Hopefully, it is just a fuse, and you might just consult your owners manual to find out which one and what size. There may even be spare fuses already in your fuse box that you could use. If not, you can go to a Walmart and get fuses.

If it immediately blows the new fuse, then you have other problems, but maybe the guy just shorted the circuit when he was installing the Lojack and didn't even realize that he had done so.

Let us know how you come out on this.

Sorry you had this trouble, pal. Like I said, this was supposed to be "your day."

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today? (Even if the headlights don't work.)
    The fuse is one of those damn oddball square fuses- I hate it when manufacturers (of any product) use weird proprietary things for consumables like fuses. It's as if each lamp you have in your house required its own special bulb. As a result, I have tried three local parts stores and all say "no dice." So it has to go to a dealer, who I will ask to bill me for a half-dozen extra of each odd fuse, so this doesn't happen again.

Yes, I hope it's just a one-off, but I'm willing to bet the idiot installed the Lojack wrong and it will have to be re-wired. Truth is I don't care, since I'll be gone all week, but it's a pain to find somebody I can talk to today to dump the car.

I also advise anyone with a new Wrangler to check and see if they have spares of these odd-sized fuses. It appears they do not include spares with the car (or perhaps the alarm fool used them all up!) and they are not easy to find.

Yes, other than that I am very happy. During the daytime it is a wonderful car :) Also FYI, the factory foglights run on a separate circuit from the headlights, so I was at least road-legal enough to get the car home last night, thank God. I would have been a lot more pissed if I had to leave the car 100 miles from home at some wacko gas station and God knows what I would have done after that.

-cwk.
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    I have never had problems finding the fuses, they carry them everywhere here. Many of the new cars are using the new small size plastic fuses. Also, when I got my Jeeps, they both came with extra fuses in a little pouch that came with the owners manual. I hope you are able to get the bugs worked out. Believe me, I know what it is like to have a Jeep that is not doing what it should. You will have better days. :)
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Updated the page today. Some pictures of spyrodragon and Spyro on the trails and a picture of Sparx and me. Everyone's been slow posting recently, so I thought I'd just send something random in.

Also, I'm getting spyrodragon to go with me to Tellico in March for a JeepsUnlimited.com trail ride. Should be fun. We'll let you guys know how it went(you know, in about two months when it happens) :o)

Alee and Sparx

http://Sparx.muddyyellowjeep.com

• dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Sypro(Syprodragon's TJ) is having her first birthday this week(Thursday, right Chase?). Anyway, I was thinking that we could all write her something for her first birthday. (I wish you couldn't read this Chase, cause you'll tell her what I'm up to!) Send me your birthday wishes and Sparx and I ware gonna make a card for her.

Alee and Sparx
    Hi All!

As much as I post, I thought I'd better tell you guys that I'm going on a business trip tomorrow, and I most likely won't get to do any posting until Thursday night. You guys might have sent out a search party or something, if I didn't tell you in advance. (Or, maybe, you would have been glad to get rid of me for a while.)

You guys have lots of good posts for me to catch up on when I get back. I might get to sneak on the Net for a little while at work during my trip, so you might not be rid of me after all.

I have to go to one of our other plants, the one in Chattanooga, Tenn. While I'm down there, I have to take another trip by airplane to Fayetteville, NC. I'll be driving Thelma to Chattanooga in the morning. It will be just her second long trip.

You guys be good and keep me and Thelma in your thoughts and prayers as we travel.

Spyro, I'd better tell you happy birthday now, since I will be gone. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPYRO!

tsjay

I don't know, maybe because I have the "heavy-duty electrical system" they use different fuses. Blecch.

-cwk.
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    I thought some of you would like some tips before taking your new or even old jeep off road. The old Boy Scout's motto always comes to mind when going off road, "Always be prepared". Over the years I have asembled my emergency kit for everyday and off road use and here's some of the items I always carry. First aid kit, Swiss army knife, a socket and wrench set (metric and SAE), a cresent wrench, duct tape (McGyver tool that works), pliers, screw drivers, a set of torxs, extra fuses, diagonal cutters, small spool of bailing wire and 14 gauge electrical wire. This can usually be fitted into a small back pack and will take up very little space. I have this set where every I go and it has come in very handy over the years in getting people back to the road. When I'm really out in the boonies (very easy to do in a Jeep) I even have a more extreme kit made up of 2 bottles of motor oil (tranny fluid too, if you drive an auto),a gallon of water, emergency blankets (get the foil ones, they are about the size a can of soda and can really have your butt in the snow), 2 packs of MRE (meals ready to eat, about $5 ea from mail order and is good for years), matches, fan belt, spare cap and rotor, 2 spark plugs, extra igniton wire and a compass.

Hopefully you will never need the items on or off road but they can sure be helpful for someone who is stuck.
    Happy Birthday Spyro! I hope you get some nice gifts! Have a good one!
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info. I can't wait for it to get here. I saw one over the weekend and it looked awesome. I pretty much expected it to be noisier, oh well...what can ya do? Its a jeep...

I didn't realize the rubber at the top of the windshield came up. I will check that out and probably run the wires that way. I'm gonna try to rig something up for the rear as well. I'd like a light for those late night excursions where I am trying to load/unload gear.

Thanks again...

-pizzadude
    Don't forget:

waterproof matches (or in a film canister)
    flashlights
    road flares
    signal flares
    GOOD compass
    reflective mirror
    whistle or horn
    blanket (space blanket or wool, or "fleece")
    windshield fluid
    fix-a-flat
    tire iron (the good + kind)
    spare lug nuts
    spare fuses, wire
    rope
    tow rope
    tarp (for shelter)
    CB radio
    your personal preference .22 (properly licensed, of course)
    MAPS!!!!
    plenty of fuel
    Found this site somewhere along the line, and figured I'd share it.

It compares replacement tires for a '98 Wrangler's OE Goodyears.

http://homepages.go.com/~dmmcg/Jeep/tiresfor.htm

• mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    Just curious what people are getting for real world mileage highway and city on their 6cyl TJs. Anyone?

Webini
  • shuggins1shuggins1 Member Posts: 13
    I was getting around 14mpg at first. My jeep has just over 2k miles on it. I went skiing this weekend and I got 277 miles before fill up. It worked out to be about 17mpg. That is the best I have done so far.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I am getting about 16 mpg on my commute to work (25 miles each way) and I haven't checked it on the highway for a long time. Last highway check was 20.5, but that was before the lift was installed. I think 16 is pretty good considering I have 33x12.50 BFG AT's.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    My 4.0 with auto and stock wheels has 5000 miles and gets 14 MPG. This is almost all city driving with average trip 6 to 10 miles. I am beginning to believe that with my driving habits (good) and typical short trip lengths, in the city, that's about as good as it is going to get. I may see some improvement when we get out of winter and the ratio of cold run time improves. I live in the Chicago area.
  • iyaiya Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any of you had the same problem I have been facing. I am desparatly looking forward to buying my very own Wrangler, but I cannot decide if I should get a 4 cyl SE or the 6 cyl Sport. Things I have been considering: I could buy new SE with warranty and all that new car stuff or for the same price buy a 1998-1999 used Sport with approx. 35-40 miles. I have test driven them both and I know how much more fun the 6 cyl is to drive, but also I am currently driving a 1987 Jetta so I won't be losing much pep with the SE. Also is there really much difference in gas mileage between the two. (5 spd) My last question to all of you has to do with the offroad capabilities of the SE vs. the Sport. I am only talking about light offroad use, trails etc. No heavy duty rock climbing or log jumping etc. Any help on the above questions would be greatly appreciated... See you on the trails.
    Mike
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Mike-
    I struggled with similar concerns, read a lot of reviews, and decided to try the SE route (plus I've got two teenaged sons - one of driving age). I recall some editorials which supported the "Simple (and Spartan) is Better" philosophy associated with the SE. Others touted the extra power (and safety features such as ABS) of the Sport. I think most indications are that the fuel economy is about equal. I don't recall any support for the 4-cyl coupled with an automatic, however!

My own experience with the SE: I'm basically satisfied. I do have the 5-spd, and would not have selected the 4-cyl if I had to have auto for some reason. I've done some light off-roading (and some very muddy on-roading for that matter!) with no ill effects. I think I also read here that with low end torque being what it is, the off road capabilities are pretty similar for most light users. I swear that in 4-LOW, I could drive up a vertical wall!

This baby is my daily driver; I have about a 23 mile commute on semi-urban interstates. I'm not going to blow off too many people's doors, but that might help with fewer altercations with our men-in-blue. I've taken a fairly long trip from OKC to SE Missouri, and kept up with traffic just fine - and parts of Oklahoma have posted 75 mph. You might consider mid-grade fuel (89 octane); I think I can tell a difference.

I can certainly see why some people would want the 6. If I planned for much towing, if I HAD to have the automatic, or if dual-lane passing were important elements for my driving, the extra performance of the 6 would probably be appreciated. But so far (almost 1 year into it), I'm happy with the performance per dollar of the SE. I'm still in a Wrangler having a blast; I've thrilled my sons, our friends and our dog; and I'm probably responsible for a few future Jeepers. It's really neat how a person's first ride(s) in a Wrangler is almost guaranteed to make 'em smile! A lot!
  • carguy45carguy45 Member Posts: 3
    Mike, I bought my 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport brand new for my birthday. One comment... pay the extra for the 6 cyl. If you like any get-up-and-go at all, you'll buy the 6. Mine is auto b/c I have used it as my primary vehicle and the auto works nice in stop and go traffic. If I had to do it again i'd opt for the manual b/c I do alot off-goading on the beaches of NC. I would also recommend hard doors if you do any traveling at all. I have soft top doors and the wind noise can be pretty loud. Go 6 or don't go at all!! HP
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    mellis
    I am avg 15 mpg. 4.0 Manual
    My driving is either highway or mixed (highway and city) and both are 15 mpg. I think a lot depends on your driving and how fast you drive on the highway. I avg 75mph and I know I would get better gas mileage if I could keep it around 60 or so.

iya
    The only downside to the 4.0 is the cost. It is well worth the cost to me. The gas mileage will be the same. Personally I will walk before I ever own a 4 cyc Jeep again. The 4 cyc will be fine off-road. On the highway it sucks. It may work for you but I tend to drive a little fast. The wind can kill a 4 cyc and so can hills. I would also go with the 6 cyc if you are gonna go with larger tires (33" or 35+)
    I would get the Dana 44 axle and the trac-lok is also a good option.
    Hope that helps
    juliovegas
    Giving up the comfort of the car for Jeep is well worth it to me. I am sure the difference may bother some people a lot more than others though. A Jeep is a lot different than a blazer. The Jeep has road noise and a rough ride. Gas mileage basically sucks. I avg 15mpg but to me it depends on how fast you drive. There are a lot of changes from the CJ to the new wrangler(TJ). You can't go wrong with either one
    Is it possible to tell if a JEEP has ABS, 4 cyl, locking diff, etc with VIN?

This would help tremendously with shopping (to avoid the zombie salesmen) by just looking at the VIN and knowing right away whether it is worth pursuing or not. This applies mostly to used cars.

If this exists, where is it? Is it easily printable?

Thanks.
  • maestro4maestro4 Member Posts: 5
    Could use some advice. I'm in the process of ordering a new NJ Sport. Its going to be my daily commuter but I also plan on taking off road a moderate amount of time on weekends.
    I was originally going to order the 30" tire and wheel group with the dona axle and trac-loc differential. However, I realized that if I do that I can't get AS. I live in Buffalo, so enough said on the snow I drive though.
    The question is, does anyone have the 30" tire group and how is it on the snow? I like the idea of being a little more beefy for off-goading but have mild concerns about the on-road ability in snow. Suggestions?....
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    Is that right?
    sasquatch_2000

Here is site about VIN info. It looks outdated.

I don't think ABS and trac-lok will show up in the VIN.

http://www.cris.com/%7Epjacke/vin.html

If you are looking at TJ's 97'-current, if a Jeep does not have the sport or sahara sticker on it then it will have a 4 cyc.

(I think other countries put on different stickers than the US. Are you in the US?)

The stickers can be removed so I would always check the engine. It will say on the engine what size it is and I would also check for the abs under the engine while you are there.

Trac-lok- This is harder to check. It may have a tag on the differential but the trac-lok could be removed.

maestro4

Wow. Is this keyboard thing new to you? :) I think you had a few errors. I guess with my spelling and grammer I should be the last one to mess with someone.

I don't know how much ABS helps on ice and snow. I think I would rather have the Dana 44, trac-lok, and 30" tires.

You can't get ABS with upgraded tires?

What's up with that?

In that case, why not get the cheapo stock tires, then upgrade aftermarket (probably get better tires and rims for less $$ that way anyhow, it works for stereos)

I'm interested in hearing about this. The hows and whys.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    you guys seem to be all going for the 6 cyl. wouldn't the 4cyl get better gas milage. I'm 17 and this would be my car and if i was going on any really long trips i would probably take one of my parents cars. I've drive a friends 89 wrangler with 4cyl and 5 speed and thought that it wasn't that bad. does anybody know the milage on the 4 bangers?
  • bhowell2bhowell2 Member Posts: 15
    The best part of it is the Danna 44 and the 3.73 ratio in the axles. Their is too much back spacing on the Canyon rims to really put much wider of a tire on it and the 30" tires are not that good.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    1: ABS was available with 30" package on earlier model years. I have it on my '99, so it's probably just a marketing decision by DC.

2: Postings here and elsewhere indicate that the 4 cyl. has the same mpg as the 6 cyl. It costs less and works almost as well off road on standard size tires. However, on the highway it's a poor relation to the six, and a 4 cyl. auto with aircon would probably not be the best choice.

3: My mileage with a 6cyl. auto, aircon always on, is a constant 15 mpg. Mixed town and highway, cruise at 65-70.

4: Comments you'll rarely hear:

"I wish I'd got the smaller wheels".
    "This auto is so noisy".
    "I wish I hadn't got the ABS".
    "I wish I'd got the four instead of this six".
    "This Jeep is no fun, and it has no character".

Just my two cents. :-)