Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• huck7huck7 Posts: 16
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but 4300+ posts are a lot to read.

Does anyone run thier Wrangler with the doors off? I am an old CJ fan and that was the best part (well one of the best parts) of driving it through the Summer.

Thanks.
  • huck7

I bet you will hear from tsjay.
  • I take mine off everytime I get the chance. I removed the hinge nuts and never put them back on. The only 2 down falls are that removes the side mirrows, which leagly in Va. you are supposed to have a drivers side and I seem to get sun burn pretty bad on my left leg Lol. I seem to like rideing with my foot on the side step, I'll put up with the sunburn but I plan on getting a mirrow that goes in the upper door hinge piviot point.
    pretzeldude66, go for the Bestop shaded windows. I really like nine, I was concern that the black soft top would of fade lighter than the the new windows fabric after 2 summers but it is not noticable.
    Brian
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    The doors come off pretty easily and driving without them is blast though it scares some passengers. The TJ is very likely the last Jeep with removable doors--new federal guidelines on side-impact beams will likely change this design on the next-generation Wrangler.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Huck7:

Yessir, I agree that doors off is the best way to enjoy a Jeep! I have taken the doors off of my 2001 Sport several times.

They are easy to take off, but they weigh a ton, and you have to be careful to raise them exactly straight up as you remove them, so that those exposed threads don't scratch your Jeep.

You need a 13 MM wrench, and I strongly recommend a boxed end wrench to prevent slippage of the wrench and the resulting ding in your paint job.

There is no way to prevent scratching some of the paint off of those hinge nuts, but you can try putting a rag over them to reduce the damage.

Quadratec has some good storage bags for the doors for about $100 per pair. They are custom made for the Jeep doors and do a real good job of protecting them. I'll be glad to give you more details, if you are interested.

You will need to pull the fuse for the overhead light when you remove the doors. This is the fuse located second from the bottom in the right hand column of fuses, if my memory serves me (but I'm old and have slept a few times since doing this). Better check the owners manual to be sure.

If you do this step first, don't be surprised if the light stays on for a few seconds after you pull the fuse. If you have just opened the door, there is some kind of delay feature which keeps the light on for a while. Obviously, the power for that must come from a separate circuit.

Huck, just go real slow and be careful! Those threads that you expose when you take the nuts off are deadly on the paint job, if they are allowed to contact the Jeep! Unfortunately, I know this from experience, but it was a fairly small spot, and I touched it up. Be prepared to take a major load when you lift those doors, because they are heavy!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Hey, you can get a door sill protective strip from Qtec that looks real nice and seems to have worked well for me. I mention this because you said you rest your foot on the door sill when you are topless, bhowell2.

These things were VERY inexpensive. I think they were only about $20 for the pair. They are held on by adhesive strips and no drilling is required.

tsjay

• goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    tsjay, do you have those Bestop door storage bags? Do they work pretty well? I asked Santa for them for Xmas. Bestop makes good stuff generally.
  • I just sit my doors on a piece of carpet in the garage, lean them against the wall and throw a blanket over them to protect them. I am sure the door bags would be better, but I haven't had any problems.
    Yes, I'm almost sure they were Best Top brand. I just looked in the Qtec catalogue and the Best Tops look like the ones that I bought, and the price matches exactly what I paid.

It's dark when I get home now, and there's no electricity in my garage, so I can't actually check them out for you until the weekend, but I am 99% certain that they are Best Top.

They work real well. I highly recommend them.

tsjay

• I have a 99 Wrangler Sport & got replacement bulb for exterior 3rd Brake Light. What tool will work on lens? Looked like Phillips but didnt work & I dont want to strip it. Thanks
    Larry, quit holding out on us! Post your announcement! I know we've chatted about it, but we need to see a post in here. This is the official place for such a thing.

Share the joy with everyone.

tsjay

• huck7huck7 Posts: 16
    Thanks all for the advice on the doors. Wow, on my CJ you just lifted them out and tossed them in the back. But then, they were doors in name only.

Any advice on the 2002 Wrangler X? Reading through the brochures and web sites, there seems to be little difference between the X and Sport other than a couple of grand. We have a small dealership here, so I have not had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Huck
  • davidb72davidb72 Posts: 174
    They are small TORX screws. You can get a small set of them at SEARS. TORX style screws and nuts are all over your JEEP so investing in a set of them may not be a bad idea. GOOD LUCK!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Try this for the full brochure, with all the specs, all the colors, all the options etc. (It's a 'pdf' file so you need Acrobat Reader.)

http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/full_specs/full_specs.pdf

• Hey tsjay,

Larry's probably too busy enjoying his new Wrangler to have time to do a post! He'll get around to it soon, I'm sure. :-)

yellowman
  • Announcing the arrival of my new jeep. Sorry for the delay tsjay but it has been too much fun driving her to take time out for the announcement. Yellowman was right. Order placed on 11/8/01, shipped on 11/28/01 and delivered on 12/12/01. Wife and I are well pleased with all the options ordered. 2002 sienna Sahara w/tan dual tops, 5m, trac-lok, etc. She even arrived in time for the 0% incentive PLUS the 7yr/100,000 powertrain warranty! Just wish the wife wasn't so carried away with her. But I can understand why. Lots of fun to drive! Looking forward to the trip to CO this summer.

Thanks to all the Edmunds' gang for the advice on options to order and how to track her during build and shipping. It was like tracking Santa's trip as she made her way from the factory to the dealer.

I will try to update more often but it certainly is hard when there is a Wrangler in the driveway!

larry18
    I have been dying to congratulate you here on this board, but I didn't want to do so before you even posted your announcement!

So, here goes.... CONGRATULATIONS, LARRY!

Get some good pics and post them.

I am so happy for you!

tsjay

• bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Another Jeep is born!!
    Sounds GREAT larry...TAZZ says hello to his new cousin!!
    well my lovely wife did it again..
    she bought me the Hallmark Jeep ornament..Looks great on my Christmas tree.
    Sorry..i havent been here in a couple of days..
    my son's birthday party is tomorrow (he will be 5)..Trying to get it all..planed.
    Take care jeepers!!

Got Jeep?
    Bama
    Where have ya been, Boy? We miss ya! Let's start posting again in here ( I know you have posted a couple times lately, but you ain't posting as often as you used to ) and chatting in gill's!!!

tsjay

• Congrats!!!

Now, if you so choose, you can bum out NYCJeeper and name your Jeep :-D Believe me, the excitement will last a long time. I've gotten many many people comment on my Jeep, including a postman at the post office today!!

yellowman