Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I also have the Four X Doctor guards and think they are great for no lost clearance if you want a step. They are also suppose to be strong enough so that you could jack your TJ up from the side using the steps. What I didn't like was the last bolt on the top and bottom of both sides. You have to cut 2 holes through the inner wall of the TJ to get the nuts and washers on those bolts.
    The holes didn't bother me so much, but it still took a while to get those nuts and washers on. You will want to use tape on your socket to keep the nut from falling out. If you pay to have them put on then it is not your problem.

The Kilby gas tank skid like Tsjay mentioned is not hard to get on, just a bit heavy if doing it by yourself. The Kilby also gives you an extra inch of clearance over the stock gas tank skid.

I cheated and went with a dealer installed DC steering box skid when I bought the vehicle.

I also have a 4XDOC guard for the rear differential which I have not put on yet.

I am looking at Skid Row for a skid plate for my engine.
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    I am dying to get into a wrangler, but I need to (once in a while) put three kids in the back. The rear hip room is listed as 43.5", 3.9" less than the Liberty, but 2.6" larger than the rear seat of the KIA convertable sportage which seats three. My question is, have any of you ever put in a middle lap belt in the back or know if it is even feasible? The belts in my CJ were simple to remove, but I never before considered installing any.

Unless DC follows through on the rumored "Scrambler", this is my only option (well, dream at this point).

I have looked into a "safari" jeep, but they are hard to come by.

Pardon the wild idea, it must be getting late.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Ok, it's been sitting there and no one has used it, so I'm going to have the honor of getting number 6700 post! :)

Don't really have anything to say, except that I wish it would quit raining! I guess we are getting the remnants of Isidore here.

Hope I can wheel tomorrow, but that place will sure be a swamp!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • i wish it would rain here. it's so dry at hollister hills , but with my new tires who cares !! i'm not doing any wheeling this weekend ,but i'am going to a small jeep get togther on sat . that mud you got would be a good test for your new locker . CROME DON'T GET YOU HOME
  • Tom,
    You can send that rain out here to Colorado, we need it BAD !!
    Hey gang, remember when you change gears you need to change your speedometer gear. I went from 307's to 456's and now when I'm going about 40 mph, my speedo reads about 70. I'm having it fixed soon, but it's a little wierd right now.

dewars
  • i have a 1997 big foot edition wrangler, i need to replace the steering column. have any of you done this, if so do you have any tips. thanks
    What size tires are you running with that 4.56 gearing? That's a heck of a jump from 3.07 to 4.56! Are ya running 33s?

Tom

Get your Jeep back from having the lift installed? How did it turn out? When do we get to see some pics?

Tom

• What's the "Big Foot Edition" Wrangler?
  • i don't think there is a big foot edt. ? big foot is a ford thing . where did you here this ?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Post # 6703:

......i have a 1997 big foot edition wrangler.......
  • in 1997 the big foot was a 3" factory lift, in 1998 the big foot was still there but not lifted. after that no more.
  • Can anyone explain why Wranglers have low gas mileage numbers compared to the Liberty? Given that the Liberty is a heavier vehicle, I would think the opposite would be true. I’m looking at the 2003 Wrangler SE with the new 2.4 L Power Tech DOHC I-4 engine and manual transmission that is rated at 18 mpg city/20 mpg highway. The 2003 4 x 4 Liberty with the same engine is rated at 20 mpg city/24 mpg highway. I’m ready to buy a Wrangler but this gas mileage question is bothering me. I’d also be interested in hearing what gas mileage you actually get with a Wrangler.
    I think mainly the difference is the aerodynamics. Possibly, gearing comes into play also, but you'll notice the city rating is only 2 MPG different between the two vehicles, while the difference becomes 4 MPG on the highway, so I think that tells us that aerodynamics is the big factor.

If you want a Wrangler, then poor gas mileage is just something you will have to live with. To me it is WELL worth the sacrifice to have the fun of having a Wrangler.

I just did a little calculation to see the monetary impact of the difference between a vehicle that gets 15 MPG vs. one that gets 20 MPG over the course of a year, assuming a person drives 15,000 miles per year and a fuel cost of $1.50 per gallon. This worked out to be $375 more per year for gas on the one that gets 15 MPG. That's about a dollar a day, and I can live with that for the sake of owning a Wrangler.

If you have never owned a Wrangler, you just don't have a clue as to how much fun they are!

I have the Sport, which has the 4.0 I-6 engine, and until I started adding mods, I was getting about 18 MPG on mostly highway driving (I drive 27 miles each one way to work.). That was driving only 60 to 65 MPH.

I am down to about 14 or 15 MPH since going to mud terrain tires and adding armor for offroading (gas tank skid, rocker panels, steering box skid).

Hope this helps.

Tom

• tluketluke Posts: 52
    The lift is done! I got it back yesterday and all is well. It looks great and drives good. The suspension is a bit stiffer now and of course the speedo is off a little. I put on the Sport King 12.5 X 33's which are a BFG generic tire. I had these tires on other vehicles and I was well pleased with the performance and wear. Now that the lift is on I put on the "Goldzilla" registration plate. I didn't feel right putting it on prior to the lift. Along with the lift I put in an air horn by WOLO. I thought the factory horn was weak but this certainly took care of that. I stayed with the Canyon wheels. They had to adjust the steering stops and place a 1/2" spacer on each of the rear wheels. Nothing rubs yet. They said they used this setup on other Wranglers and all was OK. One guy I know uses the same setup and he wheels quite a bit with no problem. I have not had time to get any pictures yet. When I picked it up I had to go in to work. This morning I had to replace a dead battery in my daughter's Neon. It is charging now and when that is all done it's off to work again for 3-11 shift. I have to work 3-11 tomorrow too but if the weather is nice maybe I can get some pictures posted before I run off to work. I did have a chance to compare the speedo with my GPS. I ran it for some distance comparing the readings of the odometer against the GPS. It calculated out to be 8.2% off (reading low). As close as I can tell that is what the speedometer seems off also. For anybody who didn't know I had a Skyjacker 4" lift installed. It was the lift for the hardtop Wranglers with the "hydro" shocks. When you order the hardtop type lift it comes with slightly stiffer springs to help support the additional weight. Yup, everything seems great so far! Tom
  • i have never seen one of these big foot jeeps . i'll have to look for some photos .
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    Marietta Jeep in ATL used to see the "bigfoot" package. Most were a 3" body life and 33's along with new wheels.

-twylie
    Sounds great! Man, I will be glad when you get off that stupid 3-11 shift and get back to gill's with us.

Looking forward to those pics!

Tom

Went to Turkey Bay, but I could find no other Jeeps to tag along with. Since I was without a rescue vehicle, I didn't do anything that involved much chance of getting stuck, and, therefore, did nothing that would put the locker to a test.

Hopefully this coming Saturday I will have some company on the trail and can see what that locker will do.

I did come up out of a dry creek bed with the tires spinning, and I made it. I have to believe that without the locker, I would have had to tackle that steep bank with a little speed instead of just being able to scratch my way out like I did yesterday.

I'm still real happy with the way Thelma behaves on the pavement with that locker. Very few undesirable side effects.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I'm sure that tsjay is right about the aerodynamics being a major influence on the Wrangler's mileage figures. I also have a Sport with the 4L engine. I get 20 mpg with almost all highway driving, staying at 60-65 mpg, without any wind. I can do 2 round trips to work under those conditions. If I get caught up with someone else's speed and find myself driving more than 70, or if it is windy, the mileage goes down a huge amount and I can only do 1 1/2 trips (75 miles one way).

Only you, the user, can make the decision if the lousy gas mileage is worth it. I love my Wrangler, but I have another vehicle for my daily driver, because of it's lousy gas mileage. I really dislike the Taco and can't wait until I can afford to dump it, but can't quite get over the extra cost in gas to go with just a Wrangler. I think that for me (because of the miles I drive) the extra gas would not be all that much less than the car payment.

By the way, tsjay, thanks for sending some moisture this way. When I got up this morning the yard was damp, the day is cloudy and there's a hint of fall in the air!
    Man, what a beautiful day! The temperature is about 80° and the sun is shining.

I'm taking advantage of this nice weather and waxing Thelma Jane. I just took a break to eat some lunch, and I thought I would say hi to everyone before going back out to finish the job.

With her doors off, there isn't a lot of sheet metal to wax. There isn't much on a Jeep anyway, though, come to think of it, even if the doors were on. :)

When I hand washed her this AM, I washed her engine compartment for the first time ever. I sprayed "Simple Green" fully concentrated on eveything under the hood and then sprayed it all down with the garden hose. I covered the air intake snout to keep any water from getting in there. The results were pretty good, but I should have wiped things down with a sponge or a rag. There's still some dirt in there, but it looks much better than it did.

Well, back to work.

Tom

• kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    LOL My jeep is my second car. It gets terrible mileage. Unfortunatly my daily driver Lincoln LS V8 Sport gets just as bad!
    What do I do?

When I get near my gas tanks I hear a great sucking sound...
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    Peter Egan, a columnist for Car and Driver once wrote an article where he intimated that the measure of a man (or woman) is in the number of cylinders he/she owns. I thought it might be fun for us to count our Cylinders.

With the Lincoln, Windstar, and Wrangler, we got 20. Add to that a chainsaw, Lawn Mower, Blower, Weed eater, Leaf Vac, and Chipper/shredder, my Cylinder count totals 26.

Egan had a friend into airplanes (couple of Allison V16's) who had over 100....

Thought this was a funny subject...

Ever hear of the Torque and Recoil club?
    OK thats another subject for different day!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I thought it might be fun for us to count our Cylinders.

I have a bowl of pennies across the room with perhaps 5,000 of them. Now pennies are cylinders too (short cylinders but cylinders nevertheless) so I suppose I measure up quite well! Top that! ;-)

I'm saving up for an SUV but it may take a while - looking forward to the 2020 models!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • TOM,
    thought u were a jeep prurist now
    The jeep was suposed to stay dirty now.
    Now, Dont u get like me & keep that jeep clean.
    The others will talk about your too. ;)
    Well.. we got rid of isadore looks like Lili is following the same path. We we never see the sun again.

KEEP JEEPIN
    ROLL TIDE
    BAMA!!
    That's what I have been tryin' to tell ya! You can wheel that Jeep without forgetting all about how it looks. I still take real good care of Thelma Jane. Dirt washes off! :)

C ya

Tom

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,983
    Are you still stopping at every rest area on the interstate so you can wipe the bugs off Thelma's hood with a paper towel? (That was you, wasn't it?)

;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• My thoughts on my new vehicle are that I would like to 4wheel once or twice a month. It seems there is a place called paragon within a couple hours from me. And there seems to be a lot of trails with different levels. I would first take a off roading course at that park to test out my skills and the vehicle. So the point is , is the sport worthy of the tougher trails or would the rubicon be best? Also my wife may drive at times and is not a stick driver, but could be taught, do you lose a lot 4wheeling in an automatic or are you considered a wannabe?
  • I thought I remembered that from here. Still smiling at that one.

Gasoline once a year gets most of them.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I remember Peter's column, but I believe he writes for Road&Track(and Cycle World as well). Anyway, here's my count:

Wrangler Sahara-6
    BMW 528i-6
    BMW 318ti Club Sport-4
    Pathfinder SE(AKA Gojira)-6
    Benelli Mini-Enduro-1
    International Harvester Cub 154 Tractor-4
    Dixon ZTR Estate Mower-2
    Bunton Push Mower-1
    Bunton Push Mower-1
    Homelite Chain Saw-1
    Poulan Chain Saw-1
    Shindaiwa String Trimmer-1