Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Do the cylinders in a revolver count?

If so, is it one, or can you count each chamber?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    What about the 15 round magazine in my Ruger P85?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    I've been all over the house three times, and counting everything, I'm still at seven....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    It WAS me that used to take advantage of rest stops to get those nasty bugs off of the grill.

See how far I've come??? :)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I don't think you lose anything with an auto for 'wheeling. Some prefer the auto because you are less likely to spin tires (not a good thing). Others prefer the 5 speed because you can specify which gear you want. I prefer a MT but that's just me. I burned up a couple of Nissan auto trannys when I moved to the mountains. The sport is very trail worthy - read tsjay's posts about his experiences. As you find yourself doing more you can always modify it. Since my interest in 4WD is to get me places I wouldn't otherwise be able to get to, the Sport is fine.

I don't have much for cylinders - we don't own a lawn mower or a chain saw, or even a hand saw. So just the 10 (the Taco and Wrangler). Don't suppose a 6 round magazine for a .22 Ruger counts...
  • I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X that runs very rough on normal roads (no off roads). It sounds like there is a "miss" in the engine. This problem has existed since "Day One" with only 10 miles on the odometer. Dealer said that there is no problem. I have owned many cars, including another Wrangler, and none sounded this rough unless there was a problem. Engine light does not come on but there has to be a problem. I drove another 2002 Wrangler that sounded quieter and ran smoother. Are there engine problems with these Jeeps?
    Nope, I haven't heard of any engine problems with the Wranglers. I don't think you'll find a single post in here about a Wrangler that has a missfire in the engine. I hang out other places too (sorry, Edmunds), and I have seen no posts about it in those other message boards.

Now, you talk about a rough ride, and I wonder if that might be due to excessive tire pressure, an out of balance tire, or something like that rather than a miss in the engine? Are you relating the rough ride to an engine problem, or are you saying that you have two different problems, a rough ride AND a missfiring engine?

Whatever, I am sorry you are having problems and hope you get them fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck. Please keep us posted, OK?

Welcome to the board.

Tom

MANY people prefer an automatic for wheelin', but I think most of those guys are rock crawlers out west. There are raging debates going in many message boards about which tranny is better for wheelin', an auto or a stick.

A Sport is fine for wheelin', but a Rubicon has many features that would cost you a fortune to add to a Sport. Heck, an SE is fine for wheelin' for that matter.

I think I told you in a previous post, a Rubicon is truly an amazing value for all the goodies that you get. There is absolutely NO WAY that you could buy a Sport and add all the stuff that a Rubicon has and come out even close money-wise.

One of the very best things that you could do is get a good, experienced wheelin' buddy or two to show you the ropes. I was very fortunate to have found some great guys to lead me on the trails and bring me along without getting me in over my head.

Good luck! Hope you get just the right Jeep for your needs.

Tom

I shouldn't have to worry about finding some other Jeeps to hook up with this weekend! There's a Jeep club from near St. Louis that is having an outing Friday thru Sunday at Turkey Bay.

I checked out their web site and saw that there were 39 people signed up for it!!!!!

Now, if the weather will just cooperate...

I hope I can go topless and doorless this weekend. Would hate to have to put that top and those doors back on.

I am taking Friday off as a vacation day, so that I can wheel with those guys.

Tom

• kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    You are right! I must have had brain freeze when I said Car and Driver. I subscribe to both C&D and R&T...

37!

Anybody top that?
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    So does that mean you have a V6 car, a lawn mower, and the rest of your stuff is electric?

Or a v8 car with a dead cylinder? LOL
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    V6 and a lawn mower with so little compression that it barely counts as a full cylinder ;-)

Tom, I thought you were hooked before but now you've really gone hook, line and lockers.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hey Tom,

What is the club's name? There is a club near where I live called the Mid Rivers Jeep Thing. Is that the one?

Steve
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    98 Wrangler 6, 92 Dodge Cummins P/U 6, 78 CJ 8, 80 CJ 8, John Deere Tractor 4,
    Garden Tractor 2, Riding Mower 1, Push Mower 1, Stihl #25 Chain Saw 1, Stihl #17 Chain Saw 1,
    Poulan Chain saw 1, Poulan String Trimmer 1, No Name String Trimmer 1, = 41

mtngal Old Red has hit the 119k mark

Walt
    Congrats on the 119k mark! You're now showing me that Wranglers can last for a long time. I'm still holding at 104k - been saving my pennies for the roof. My roofer is out on disability and I'm trying to find another one (something not easy when you live out in the middle of nowhere and there is enough work where everywhere else). I figure the cost is going to go up, so I haven't been playing much. Hopefully that will change at the end of the month (heading for the Sierras then, but the weather might not cooperate).

I think that 92 Dodge Cummins should count for more than the 6 it has!
    Yep, Steve, that's the one. You coming along too? Hope so!

Tom

• Nope. I only knew about the club. I am not currently a member. I have joined up for the boards though. Hope you guys have a blast!

Steve
    but I'm still gonna wheel with them this weekend. It's open to anyone who wants to go, and you don't have to be a member. So, come on and join us!

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    "Nope, I haven't heard of any engine problems with the Wranglers. I don't think you'll find a single post in here about a Wrangler that has a missfire in the engine. I hang out other places too (sorry, Edmunds), and I have seen no posts about it in those other message boards."

You might want to check here. I found 19 topics on quick inspection. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1896&sortby=&sortorder=

Tom, just because you don't want to see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

:-)

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    "...- been saving my pennies for the roof. ...(something not easy when you live out in the middle of nowhere and there is enough work where everywhere else). I figure the cost is going to go up, ..."

You need to convince the roofers that the air is fresh and coffee plentiful up in the mountains. Tell them it is like a getaway!
    BUMMER!
    Stupid Lili has invited herself to our wheelin' get together this weekend, so I thought I'd better get prepared,

I still haven't put the doors back on. Just couldn't stand that in the same evening when the top went back on. Guess I'll do that tomorrow night.

Tom

I checked out some, but not all, of those posts from your search results, and they were mostly for Liberty's, Grand Cherokee's, and older Wranglers, like YJ's. The TJ's that I saw were 97's, which is before they went to the distributorless ignition. Some of those guys had been playing in mud and/or water just before their troubles started.

I don't think there have been enough cases with newer TJ's to say that there has been a common problem with them.

Tom

• my wife wont go any where nere my jeep when it's going offroad .i wish so would come . when ever we let my friends stupid girlfriend come all she dose is sleep .and wine all the way home becouse it's cold .
  • yesterday at work i got to use my new front bumper . we all have to park on the street and there was this one junk car someone left in one of the good parking spots . [a bad spot is the no parking zone ] it's been there for like two weeks . so i had everyone parked by it move there cars so i could push it out of the way. after that i showed them the photos of my jeep driving on the mazda RX-7 . i told them to never box me in .
    Uh, Lili ain't my wife. Lili is Hurricane Lili, and the remnants of her will be over our wheelin' area this weekend.

That's why I put the top back on Thelma Jane.

My wife never goes wheelin' with me. I took her one time and didn't even do anything the least bit risky, but she was convinced we were gonna die, and she has never been back since.

Tom

• We want to see Thelma Jane on top of the RX-7!!!
    Show us!!!

Steve
  • calucykcalucyk Posts: 35
    Hello fellow Jeep owners. Man, I just love these vehicles. My wife currently drives a 2002 Sahara. I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing a Rubicon. What's so special about the Rubicon? All information (positive or negative) are welcome. Thanks,
    Air lockers, lift, larger tires for starters.
    Like Mntgal said, plus Dana 44's front and back, and a 4:1 transfer case (I think the standard transfer case is 2.72:1).

They come from the factory with 31" tires.

About all a guy would ever want to do to one is get a bigger lift and bigger tires.

Welcome to the board!

Tom