Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    I doubt you'd void the warranty with a lift, but save the original parts, and you could always go back.

I STRONGLY recommend against the canyon wheels if cost is a factor. You can do much better for 1/4 of the cost. See if you can get stock ones, then get a credit before it goes on the road and get your own mounted.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Posts: 186
    The dealer in Lampassas is going 1% over invoice. The dealer in Temple is $1660 more which they say is a ballpark quote. Quite a big ballpark. I have been to Killeen twice and they have yet to unlock a door for me or to send a sales person out, I only seem to get the greeter. I won't go back to killeen.

You can not begin to imagine how things have built up in this area and Austin. They would have to give me a pretty sweet deal to make the drive to Austin. I figure any dealer will involve multiple trips and I'm just a small town guy who stays out of Austin.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I don't blame you for staying out of Austin. I used to go down there occasionally - there was a great tack store down there. By the time I left driving down to Austin was horrible because the roads weren't designed for the traffic they were getting.

I remember the LeCar. I bought one in Fayetteville, N.C. and got into an accident with it less than a month after the dealer disappeared overnight. Took over 6 months to get it fixed! Shipped it to Germany, then got rid of it and the husband that went with it over there. I kept the Dodge van I had bought - did I get the best part of that deal!

One of the things I notice about my Wrangler is how quick the steering is. I think it would be easy to jackknife a trailer if you aren't careful. I rarely drive faster than 65-70, not only because of the steering but also because the gas mileage is so much worse over 70. This weekend I drove to Vegas and back. Since it wasn't very windy (until I got halfway across the Mojave desert), I drove faster than usual - closer to 70 most of the way. This was faster than most of the 18 wheelers, but much slower than most cars. Several tried to run me off the road because while the average speed was close to 80, and there are many going much faster than that, so be careful when you haul if you are on the freeway. When I was in Texas the speed limit was still 55, which no one in Texas paid any attention to, but they did seem to respect trailers, especially horse trailers. Maybe you won't have that bad of a time hauling.

Good luck with it!
    At UMass, we (5 guys) picked one up and turned it sideways in its parking spot. Those are the kind of things you do on weekends in college.

With a Jeep, of course, you can just drive it sideways.

:-)
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Thanx for the info guys...I appreciate your help..
    I just wanted to know if there were any problems with doing that.
    TAZZ passed the 6000 mile mark today no problems at all..I still have no regrets, a perfect vehicle. Just wish I had some extra $$ to do some mods to it.. OHH well maybe in the future
    Take care all
    Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • As far as ski racks I got the Mopar one that goes on the spare tire. I have not actually seen it in person just order it.....seems good to me. They also have hitch mounted ones........but then you got your hitch used up smothing. I think the tire rack keeps the skis closer to the vehicle which I think is generally a good thing!

I think I will go with the BFG AT KOs.....as they seem to have made some nice changes, they are cheeper, probably better in the ice/snow, and probably just fine for up to moderate trails in the desert.

Anyonne have experiences with the Track-Lock system that comes on some TJs and the Liberty? I heard everything to its not to hot to....it works really good in most conditions and better than many other car companys LSDs.

Joe

P.S. Anyone have those storage boxs for the back seat wheel wells by...I think its Best Top? They seem cool! Anyone else makes those?
  • I am currently in the market for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler (Sahara). I am scratching my head over a
    few options, and would like some input from others.
    The Options are:
    Dana heavy duty rear,
    Llimited slip rear,
    Anti-lock Brakes.
    If I get the anti-lock brakes I cannot get the heavy duty rear. So which one is the better choice? And is the Limited slip rear worth the extra money. Any Input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Cosmo
    This is a post for any person who might be interested in explaining why they got involved with the Wrangler.

The first vehicle I ever drove on the road was an old Jeep Commando or Commander that belonged to a friend. Spent some fun time off road in that one and a little bit of time in the Willys that he had earlier.

I was in the Marines and stationed in N.C. I was suppose to go to recruiters school so I got rid of my MG B and bought a CJ5. Figured the Jeep was a bit more fitting. Bashed around in the pines and on the beach for a while and got sent to Okinawa instead of recruiting.

From Okinawa I went straight to Spain and finally after being out of the U.S. for over three years I returned home, got out of the Marines, picked up my CJ and headed west.

Joined the Army and bashed around in the desert in the CJ before selling it and heading to Germany for three years.

Got back to the U.S. and bought a Nissan 4X4 truck. Kept the truck for 6 years and then went 2 wheel drive.

Spent some time in a Cherokee that belongs to a friend, plus his patrol vehicle which is a Cherokee (BIA Police). That patrol car is quick.

Come April I will be getting back into a Wrangler or at least ordering one. A Liberty would make more sense, but would not be as much fun. I have never been known to have much common sense.

The truck gave me more room to haul things, but there were places you just could not get into.

Time to put down the top and go small again.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I guess I got ineterested in Wranglers because a brother in law, a nephew, and a cousin each had Wranglers, and they seemed to really enjoy them.

That got me looking, but the clincher was when I saw a Jeep just like my Thelma Jane at a dealership that I passed by twice a week. I had to stop and drool each time I went by! That one finally sold and was no longer there when I passed by, but I knew exactly what I wanted after seeing that one.

When I ordered Thelma, I ordered the same color and everything as that one.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    dec 2000.Ive been thinking about getting a new truck just for ME, nothing practicle just for ME. Saw a White Sahara hard top on the road
    I loved it I had to have it..started doing my reasearch (here thanx tom). Went to several dealerships looking at them. Wanted a sahara hated the interior.. then the 60th AE came out that was it. Asked my beautiful wife..as they say the rest is history..

BamaTazz
  • The saga is so long. Mine started when I was 17. I took my car in to a shop to get worked on and sitting there with a for sale sign was a 79 CJ7. I bought it!! This was an excellent jeep. Unfortunately, when I started college I needed some cash. Jeep left. A couple of years later(after getting a job and not going to college any more) I bought an 84 CJ7. Once again, Excellent Jeep. Traded that for a 87 Wrangler. Got Married. Drove the Jeep away from the wedding all decorated and topless(the Jeep, not us). Now for the first kid. Jeep unpractical. Bye Bye Jeep. Second kid, still unpractical. 10 years pass since I last had the wrangler. Started looking at the new wranglers in June 2001. Practicality be damned. Bought a 99 Sport in December. WOOHOO. Guess this is not really how I got hooked on wranglers but Jeeps in general. What more could you ask for in a vehicle, good looks, 4wd, convertible. Nuff said. Now if it would only snow a little here.
    I first started looking at them when I was a college student counselor at a camp in the San Bernardino mountains. I had a 69 Opel Kadet that I loved driving through streams and on dirt roads up there. I also realized that there were limitations to the Opel, so that was when I started to want to own a Jeep. The first one I drove was a US Army jeep and thought they were great fun, but ended up buying things like trucks and vans (other than the LeCar my ex chose). When my current husband decided to quit driving for a living, we sold his Toyota flatbed truck and he told me I could buy anything I wanted. Being horseless now, I chose the vehicle I've wanted for over 25 years - which ended up being my black '98 Wrangler Sport. Ever since I got it I've spent lots of time driving through streams and on dirt roads and being much happier than I was, now that I can easily get away from the urban sprawl. In fact, I wouldn't own the house I love so much if it hadn't been for the Wrangler - I was on the internet looking for 4x4 trails around Frazier Park when I happened upon a site with houses for sale. They were so much cheaper than where I was living, that I just had to take a look! I am so much happier now, and it is all indirectly or directly related to the Wrangler.
    I know, there are those who won't understand, and to them I'll say, "It's a Jeep thing..."

And I'll second the motion for snow. There's none at the moment, but a possibility for this weekend (I hope, I hope).
  • Well I called DC and they said the projected ship date to the dealer for my new 2002 rig is the 29th! Its sounds like things went fast. The factory is in Toledo and the dealer I am buying from is in Wisconsin.......how long should the shipment take I wounder...under a week I suppose.

Also I have decided to get the 31inch BFG AT KO as soon as I get it as I can sell the stock 30s for 45$ a tire. Has anyone noticed a difference doing this swap? Also TJSAY.....did you get ANY rubbing when you went to the 31 BFG AT?

Anyway.......kinda excited..........though not at the long drive from Milwakee to Las Vegas!

Joe
    I did that. They gave me an even swap for the spare (1997) in September 2001. Those Goodyears stink, but are worth some bucks. I think you could do better than $45, more like $85 if they are new. Better yet, ask the dealer to swap them before there are ANY miles on them. They can use them as spares from the dealership (with the right coaxing ;-) ).

They rub at full turn of the steering wheel, especially in reverse. You get used to it. I put in a 3/4" Daystar spring lift, but it didn't really noticeably help with that, but does give a little more height.
    I have had no rubbing at all with my 31's. Mine are 31x10.50's. A wider 31 inch tire might rub, but mine haven't. Also depends on the wheel, and I have the canyons like you will be getting. So, if you get the 10.50 width and have the canyon wheels, you shouldn't have a rub either.

I would guess a week would be pretty close as far as your shipping time.

tsjay

The current issue of JP magazine has a couple of pages on the Rubicon. About half a page of text and the rest is made up of photos of the vehicle and drawings of the drivedrain. More than I have seen so far without making it to an auto show.

I don't need one.
  • hypehype Posts: 16
    I have just recently purchased, (after careful consideration over 3 weeks, after my early model Japanese sedan finally died), my first new, "cough-cough", car.....and it is a Jeep! (Wrangler X, 6 cyl. stick, air, tinted softop, bonus sound, etc.-everything but the 30"'s-went w/ the alloy 15" package-will upgrade after 30K). Well, I have had this baby for three months and I am real happy. Looking forward to learning all I don't know about this Wrangler-of which I am sure there is plenty. Anyway, this Jeep wave cracks me up.
    Congratulations on the Jeep! Glad you posted.

How about posting a pic of that baby in the photo gallery?

What color did you get?

tsjay

• hypehype Posts: 16
    To answer your inquiry, "tsjay," I went with the metalic silver color. I will have to get a picture on the gallery-that will take some time though. To follow up on my earlier posting, I was pretty methodical in buying my new Jeep, that is, I test drove just about everything in my range (20K) and I was bored with them all, then one evening I had an epiphany that sounded like this: "Test drive the Jeeeeeep" and so I did...well, I the rest is history! Yeah, baby!