Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• maestro4maestro4 Member Posts: 5
    WLEEKE: First of all, thanks for clarification on the Canyon/ABS issue. I just ordered my TJ last Friday with 5 speed and the Dana44. Now at least I know why I couldn't get the ABS.
    Not to criticize, but why would you order the Canyon Tire group and then go to the 4x4 shop and upgrade the tires (as opposed to saving $800 and getting the stock tires and upgrading)? And for that matter, why would you get deep-tint windows and then tint them again? (as opposed to tinting them once really dark)? anyway, congrats on the Jeep. I hope I get mine as quickly as you got yours....

Does anyone know if there is some type of nerf bar/rock rail combo available somewhere? I like the increased protection from the rock rails, but I also like the looks and assistance for the vertically challenged (my wife) that the nerfs provide. Suggestions?....
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    A TSB has been issued for the 2000 Wranglers having problems with the NV3550 transmission, it is #21-003-01. A copy of it can be looked at the following link. If you are having problems with your transmission, take a copy of this TSB into your dealer and get it fixed. Here is the link to look at it:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000876.html
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    About the Rockrails... Check out the Reverse-a-bar from http://www.quadratec.com/ they can be fliped down as a step or up for more ground clearance.
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Hey Spyro,

Well, sunday i finally got the legs for the rack on. I lost daylight and couldn't finish everything, so last night i finally put the basket on. The fit is really good and it is very sturdy. I noticed a bit more wind resistence this morning coming to work, but nothing major. even the noise level isn't that bad. I'm sure it will be worse on a windy day...oh well, it is definately worth it. I have already had a few comments on it. Now I just need to buy some lights for it. i think i will just get some KC Daylighters (2 for the front) and try to find a decent flood light for the rear.

How is yours holding up with the snow and salt?? Some of the bolts already have rust on them where the paint was scratched off from wrenching on them. I bought two stainless wingnuts for the front bolts to try to make it easier to undo quickly. Still need a pliers to tighten them up good.

Well, thanks again for all the help...I will probably wait till closer to spring before I start wiring lights up. Gotta save up some $$$ too. :) My wife gets concerned when i start spending sprees. :)

Later on...

-pizzadude
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Pizzadude: "Well, sunday i finally got the legs for the rack on. I lost daylight and couldn't finish everything, so last night i finally put the basket on."

If you "lost daylight" two days ago, how could you find it last night?

P.S. ;-)
  • pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    Okay okay..... :) I am from the coal regions of PA, and talk funny. :) I ran out of daylight on sunday and yesterday, late AFTERNOON, I was able to put on the basket. :) I hope that is better.

People, there's a buncha wiseguys out there! ;-)

-pizzadude
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A few new discussions are now available in Jeep Wranglers Owners club. Drop by and check it out!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey everybody!!!!! Just wanted to check in and let you all know I ordered my new TJ this morning at about 9am!!!!!!!!! It (sorry tsjay, no name yet), should arrive within the next 4 - 12 weeks and hopefully sooner rather than later!!!!!!! I just recentely posted all the goodies I ordered with it so I won't bore you with them again...just can't wait for it to get here!!!!!! Also, I forgot to get that 800 number to check on the status of my new TJ, can someone post it here for me? I have the VON, just not DC's 800 number....thanks and I'll talk to you all soon!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry everyone, I forgot, got it for $100 over invoice, however, with the $500 rebate, it turned out to be $400 under invoice!!!!!!!
  • x90071x90071 Member Posts: 8
    My 98 Wrangler is acting strange:

Every once in a while (once or twice a week) while i am driving, the tachymeter and speedometer go dead and AIRBAG sign is illuminated.

No other gauge goes dead. All including fuel, oil pressure, battery voltage and temperature remain fine and operable. It is only tachymtere and speedometer that just stop working.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

x9
  • raider42raider42 Member Posts: 5
    Well it's done. I purchased my first Jeep last night and I am soooooo happy. I ended up with the 2001 black Sahara with dual black tops, Dana 44 and the 30" wheel package. I didn't get the Trac-loc but I think I might be able to live without it. I ended up getting it at dealer invoice. Not quite the saving I had anticipated, but I know it is a fair price. Anyway, I have a question concerning the dual tops. The dealer said I should take the soft top out (it comes installed already with the hard top on) to avoid wear on it until I'm ready to take the hard top off for good. I plan on taking the hard top off here in another month or so when the snow has melted and it starts to warm up. Call me lazy, but I like the fact of just having to take the hard top off and the soft top already being ready to put up. Does anyone know if it would be all right to leave the soft top installed?
    Thanks for the help....
    sounds like the electrical system is dying.

doesn't the airbag light come on when you first start the car?
  • ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    Now it might just be me, but with 500 miles on the odometer it feels like my Sahara is beginning to "loosen up" a little bit. Not so much that it would lead me to think something is busted, but enough to make me think that it's not just in my head. I grew up driving pickups, so I'm not unaccustomed to slightly-loose steering.

Below 45 it's not really noticeable, and only gets remotely close to bad over 60. Because I do so much highway driving, I'm wondering if somebody makes an anti-sway bar or something I could put on to tighten 'er up a bit. I know most people are going the other direction, but hey, I gotta be me.

Thx. in advance,
    -cwk.
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    There is a TSB for the dead gauges and the number is TSB# 08-15-99 This is a free fix at the dealer and it's a common problem. It seems the connecter for the wire harness is bad.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That is great! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Hey, you could post your goodies again. It won't bore anyone. I had to go all the way back to your other post to refresh my memory, and that wasn't easy- it was further back than I thought, so for the benefit of others, feel free to tell us what you are getting again.

I am so happy for you, Dude! I know how much you wanted a Wrangler.

Hope you survive the waiting. It ain't easy.

But, take advantage of the time, and come up with a good name for that guy/gal. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A NAME! How's that poor little Jeep gonna feel without a name?

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    WAY TO GO! Welcome to the family!

Hey, I don't know what you were expecting, but to buy at invoice is a GREAT deal if you ask me!

Congratulations, my friend.

tsjay
    What's the latest? Ready to get that Jeep yet?

tsjay

This is off topic, so I'll keep it short.

Last week I asked that my buddies here keep me in their thoughts and prayers as I traveled, and I had a safe trip.

Now I ask the same favor as I have some medical tests run. I have had terrible lower abdominal pains since Sunday, and I went to the doctor today. My white blood cell count was 13,000, and that indicates infection. They are doing a CAT scan tomorrow, and as soon as possible I will have the scope up the you-know-what and down the throat.

You guys are so nice in here that I had better make this request: please don't flood the group with well-wishes. We need to keep this wonderful group on-topic. If you want to send me a greeting, please use my email- it's in my profile, or chat with me on IM (I am tjoh298765 on IM)

Thanks

tsjay

Glad you got it on man! That's awesome! Yea, I've got some rust on the bolts and on the edges where I've banged it up a little but nothing seems to be doing bad, the rusted bolts are only visual rust and havn't worked down into the bolt or anything so they are still strong and don't stick to the nut... Just get you some Krylon or some model paint and do a little touch-up work and they'll be fine...(make sure you take them off first so you don't paint them on! :)
    You got your Roofrack on and I just put my new brushguard on... It looks awesome!!! I'll post some pics soon. Every have any more questions dude, just let me know.
    Thanks for setting up the owners club. I think it will be great as soon as some posts accumulate.

tsjay
    Don't really know why it would feel alot looser... Does it just seem like the stearing's loose or does it feel like the whole jeep sways when you make a turn? Have you checked your sway bars? One might have broken(doubt it, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause this). If it's just the stearing that's loose just take it back to the dealer and they'll be able to tighten up the powerstearing which might be causing it... if you figure it out let me know, because you've got me stumped!
    Hi Pal! Are you sure it's not just the wind pushing you around? You know Wranglers catch every little bit of wind.

tsjay

• mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    First of all I hope you are feeling better. Take it easy, rest, and get well.

I'm afraid I decided that a Wrangler was not the right vehicle to be my primary transportation right now. Too long a commute, too much gas, etc.. And the local Jeep dealers would give me nothing for my Audi.

So today I got a great deal on a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8l turbo Wolfsburg Edition. I am still going to keep my eye out for a used 97 Wrangler and if I find a good deal I will grab it as a weekend car I guess.

Mark
  • vubsvubs Member Posts: 14
    anyone know anything about the 60th anniversary wranglers other than what's "out there" so far (e.g. car-truck.com)??? should i just get a sienna sahara with the options i want or a 60th anniversary silver sport, which costs slightly less? pros/cons? the difference seems to be just special logos and floor mats for the 60th anniversary edition. the only thing you still can't get in a sport is the somewhat more comfortable seats w/pockets.

so no more free automatic tranny but $500 rebate, right??? if my dealer already gave me a free auto tranny (b/c half of their '01 inventory w/auto have it and half don't, then there's no additional rebate, right?

thanks for the help!!!
    Good luck with the Jetta. Hope you do find a used Wrangler, though. It would be nice to count you among the Wrangler owners in this group.

Thanks for your concern about my health.

Be sure and vist us on a regular basis and feel free to post. Once you come here, you are no longer a stranger. That's what I like about this group- everyone is welcomed with open arms. (These people even put up with my incessant posting!)

Take care, mellis

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jetta today?
  • wleekewleeke Member Posts: 13
    Your questions are valid concerning the why's and why not's of my strange decisions.
    When I ordered my Jeep I ordered the Canyons because I had planned on keeping them. Afterwards I started taking note of how great some local Jeeps looked with the larger tires. Well, I couldn't change my order without screwing things up, so I started checking to see what the going price was on selling the Canyons. It appears I will be able to recoup most of that $870.00. I know I'll lose a little bit, but it won't hurt too much I hope. :)
    As for the windows tinting, I actually tinted out the windows on the doors to match the deep tint in the rear. I did want to order without any tint and then have it done, but was told the only way I could get the soft top with tinted windows was to order both the same. I didn't find anybody local that wanted to mess with tinting the soft top windows.

Got the tires and wheels on today. They look GREAT! Getting lots of comments on her with her new look. I did notice today that I've got a "sway" in the rear when I hit a bump or sometimes just make a turn. I'm going to run her back up to the 4x4 center & let them check the suspension. Is this something maybe normal with the lift? I'm working on those pictures. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll get them taken so I can get 'em sent off.

TSJAY: You better take care of yourself. Let us know how things turn out. Will be thinking about you.
  • membrainmembrain Member Posts: 4
    For what it's worth... got my Sahara for $22,598, MSRP was just under $26,000.
    ...all said and done, it had everything I wanted on it, and it was cheaper than the loaded Sport from an across town dealer.

I-I-I-I-I L-I-I-K-K-E I-T!!!!!

btw, thanks for the aftermarket sites, too.
    I test drove a used Wrangler that had a suspension lift, and it reacted similar to what you described, I didn't like it either. I also test drove a new one that had a body lift with oversized tires and it didn't "float"...
    I guess I'll name muh Jeep ....

... MeoWooF

lol.
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to see if anyone has that 800 # for DC so I can check on my order periodically....I forgot to get it from the dealer.....If you could post it here I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

P.S.- Sorry to hear you're not feeling well tsjay...we're all pulling for ya!
    Wow! At first, from reading here, I was talking myself into buying a JEEP Wrangler, now I think I am back out.

bad paint
    steering "looseness"
    electrical problems
    gas cap problem
    water leaking
    more bad paint
    poor gas mileage (sort of)
    people paying invoice cost!

plus, the whole naming thing ... ;-)

Anyhow, these seem like a lot of problems for relative new vehicle owners. I had my Civic for years and years before needing a thing, and the first was brakes (60,000? ... I can't remember that far back).

I am asking myself if it is worth it. Still looking at Ford Ranger King Cab 4X4.
  • shuggins1shuggins1 Member Posts: 13
    It's all part of owning a jeep! The price you pay for so much fun! 4x4 in the winter and top down in the summer. who could ask for more. civic is a great car on gas and for commuting. Good luck with your decision.
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Since when is paying Invoice a bad thing... Actually this board has less vehicle complaints than most others, either that or the owners are more tolerant. If you want to see complaints, go to the chevy silverado board or the dodge durango board. I dont have a jeep yet, but this board didnt deter me from getting one a bit. My problem is that I just cant figure out if I want an automatic or a stick. But, lets face it, you dont get a jeep for the most aerodynamic styling, or up to date body style. Its just a good looking utilitarian vehicle that can be fun to drive, even with an outdated automatic transmission.
    The sway bars aren't busted or loose, that was the first thing I looked at. At this point I think I'm just going to sleep on it for a while, because it could just be me getting used to the car. I am also getting used to the bounciness of it driving around Boston's horrible streets. I know my [non-permissible content removed] would feel better in some kind of sedan, but I think the Jeep will stand up much better.

Sasquatch- remember the lemon principle when judging cars by boards like this. The average person, if he buys a new car and is happy with it, will not come here for the fun of it. He will come here only when he has a problem. Statisticians call this adverse selection, and it means that posters here are not representative of the general case.

Tonka- I have the auto, and don't regret it because I do at least 50% city/bad traffic driving. But because it is only a 3-speed, it gets a worse highway fuel efficiency penalty because its 3rd gear only equals the 5-speed's 4th. This results in higher revs (2500-3000 at 55-65) which costs you in noise, vibration, and gas (and the Jeep comes with a lot of all these to begin with). I did not seriously consider the 5-speed because of my environment, but if you don't deal with a lot of stop-and-go traffic, I'd lean towards the stick because I think it fits this car better.

Again, that being said, I am very happy with my Jeep and its automatic transmision.

-cwk.
  • prozac_kidprozac_kid Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get a 2001 SE in yellow or black wiht cd ac and full doors soft top for 16500 is that reasonable??
    I think Mr. Sasquatch is having some fun with us, people. I think he meant his comments to be taken as a joke.

Old Sasquatch knows there ain't nothin' like a Jeep, don't you, Sasquatch? So when are you going to get one?

tsjay

I meant what I said. I came here looking for feedback. I watched (lurked) for a while, then posted a bit, got really worked up a bit and started looking at JEEPs, now I am scared by all the problems. I now only wish Honda made a REAL 4x4 with soft top like a JEEP.

You know, like the Miata is to the MG?
    Like the S2000 is to the Miata?

Maybe a Honda sport ute like Jeep/Defender.

Ooooh, I could only dream.

My ideal?

Jeep Wrangle current look/styling
    fix body panel quality problems
    fix paint problems
    put in an OD auto (I'd still opt for 5 speed)
    put on TALL tires (like original Willys) and let us add our own big aftermarket tires
    make a front and rear bench seat
    make interior so you can clean it out with a garden hose and then compressed air
    keep 4 liter motor...hey it is PERFECT for this application
    fix all the problems, blueprint and bulletproof everything, then give it a decent warranty.
    Hello,
    Your concerns about Jeeps are not without merit. My wife and I both have a Wrangler, a 99 SE and 2000 Sport. They both have had problems. The main problem I see with Jeeps now is that they are building them with low quality control and poor customer service. I think that if you are really interested in Jeeps, make sure that your Jeep dealership offers a loaner car, because you will likely need one in the future. I have had to have electrical work done, new radiator, paint work, new power steering lines and my transmission is still acting up. Jeeps are not for everyone and it is good that you have been doing research on Jeeps. There is nothing worse than buying a vehicle and not being happy with it. I like my Jeeps, but their reliability has not made me happy. I wish you the best of luck on your search for a vehicle. Don't worry about names, I have had Jeeps for many years and never named one, I have called them a few names, but never named one. Good Luck
    Hey Guy,
    I see that you are not feeling well, I hope this passes soon for you. I recently had trouble with my stomach, had to have the old Colonoscopy. Everything was fine, just had to change the old diet. Well, again, get feeling better.
    Hey, Pal! Thanks for the kind words. I had the CAT scan today, but they don't tell you anything- they report the results to the doctor. I see the guy that's going to do the colonoscopy tomorrow, and I suppose he will tell me what the CAT scan showed.

Only, maybe the reason your Jeeps have been acting up is because they resent not having names?

Well, keep Jeepin'

tsjay

Hi, believe me, they have names. I would just get in trouble for typing them, there might be children reading this. LOL :)
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    - White/Camel Sport
    - 5 speed
    - 25D package
    - 30" Canyon group w/ HD shocks, D44 axle
    - Trak-loc diff
    - A/C
    - CD radio (no one will want to steal a factory radio!)
    - 5 speaker option
    - Tow Hooks/Fog lamps
    priced at invoice, $500 rebate comes off the bottom.

dealer is calling in the order tomorrow AM, said it can officially take 4-12 weeks, but the last 30 he has ordered have all arrived in less than 28 days. Whoo Hoo!

anyone get the front mats and are they worth the $26 or should I just buy a "real" set of gunk catcher style?

Just need to move the MGB to make room in the garage for it!

-twylie
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Congradulations! you did it. You have more guts than me right now. Sounds like a great deal. Did you have to pay an advertising fee. That seems to be a big deal here in the Philadelphia area.
    I should be ready to order soon as well. I do know that as soon as i order they will come out in 2002 with a nice economical v-6 and a 4 speed auto trans. Then I can shoot myself and quit worrying about it. lol
    Congrats on the JEEP!!!! Make sure to be nice to that MGB. I have a 1980 LE MGB, that I have had for 16years. They are a fun little car, and you will enjoy the Jeep just as much, if not more. Have a Great Time.
    Thanks!

tonka-
    I misstated the other day about the ad fees. They were buried in my early quotes and came to something like $320 in the ATL market. I think I could have reduced or avoided them by buying from another state, but the dealer has been good in working with me so far, so I quit haggling and ordered tonight.

only...-
    My B is a '73 and I found out the hard way that you don't want to run a small British car through a stream (even if it is on about 4" deep). 10 miles of running on less than 4 cyl before the distributor dried out. I'm looking forward to taking it easy on the water crossings from now on

sasquatch -
    I'm with you on most of your assesment, but after spending last weekend test driving, we decided we are willing to put up with the quirks and QC issues because it's FUN! We won't be commuting in the TJ, so it will truly be a fair weather, really bad weather, and camping, and beaching, and trail riding... vehicle for us.

The first thing my wife asked me to look up after I hung up with the dealer was "places to drive on the beach". I'm aware of outer banks of NC; any other suggestions in the SouthEast? Anywhere near Charlston, SC?

Thanks again to the group for all the encouragement.

-twylie
    Twylie, congratulations! That is great that you have placed that order.

Now the waiting period begins. It is tough, believe me. Hopefully it will not be a long wait for you.

You have done a good job in selecting your options. Your Jeep should have everything that you really need as far as factory stuff. That subwoofer really, really helps the sound of that radio. And, the tracloc is sure someting that I wish I had included for Thelma. I just didn't know what a good option it was when I ordered Thelma Jane.

That was a great deal you got too.

Welcome to the club!

tsjay

The Defender is pretty close to this. There's a guy up the block from me who has one, he has the bikini-type roof (no sides, just top) on it year-round, right now there's 3" of snow in it! Of course it's expensive and not quite Honda build quality, but waddaya want?

But I gotta say, I'm not with you on the front bench seat. What is the advantage? I like the seating layout in the Jeep just as it is.
    I wouldn't mind the old-style dash with analog gauges, for all the reasons you give. But I do prefer the more modern suspension.

As for my choice (2 weeks w/ 2001 Wrangler Sahara) I decided to balnce the virtues of reliability against the virtue of fun. My partial solution was to buy a nice set of sockets and a factory manual. Hopefully that will help with some of the little stuff, and as for the bigger stuff, that's what I bought a 5/75 warranty for.

-cwk.
    Thanks! Glad to be one step closer to being a full blown club member.

I guess I'll just have to hug the brochure for the next month!

As far as the options, I reconsidered on the Trak-Loc and figured the last thing I wanted to have happen was to be on a trail, lift a rear wheel a bit and get no love from the back axle. I could just hear my wife saying "why are we not moving?" and have to explain that I saved us $250 for this "feature". I agree that the sub makes a pretty significant difference. I went back to the dealer and drove a soft top sport with the sub. After having an MTX stealth sub in my Explorer, I looked into aftermarket subs for the TJ, but couldn't find anything that wasn't mad-expensive or really obtrusive. With the soft top, I was just looking to "fill-in" the sound a bit and the factory sub fills that bill while keeping the limited cargo space.

Hope everything checks out OK with your health.

-twylie
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    sasquatch_2000
    Jeeps do have their problems and if you want a problem free car I would go with a civic or something.
    I don't think steering "looseness" is a common problem. The electrical problem is only on 97 and 98' I think(not every year). It is also a easy fix and can be done by the dealer. Still a hassle though.
    My YJ never leaked until I replaced the windshield and my 00" hasn't leaked yet. There definitely is leak problem with certain Jeeps. There can be a problem with paint but should be fixed under warranty. It would be another hassle to deal with though. Gas mileage does suck. Nothing wrong with people paying invoice. That is invoice and not sticker.
    I would love for my Jeep to give me as many problems as my nissan truck has. I clean my Jeep out with a hose. Just not the dash board and seats(cloth). I cleaned my dash board and seats in my 93 YJ with a hose.

prozac_kid
    What is that cost compared to invoice? How much under or over?

tonkadave auto vs. manual
    What kind of off-roading due plan on? Do you do a lot of highway driving?

tsjay
    Hope you feel better and everything turns out good. Take a ride in your Jeep, it always makes me feel better.

twylie
    Husky liners are great. Or you can rip the carpet out and herculine the entire tub. I got the mats with the Sahara. I don't use them. They are nice but probably not worth $26
    Cape Cod
    Nantucket
    Martha's Vineyard