Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    No experience with car seats in my Jeep.

I can tell you that my Thelma Jane has the passenger air bag disable switch, and she is an 01. I think it depends on which model year as to whether or not it would have the switch.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Welcomt to the board, its great to have another jeeper on board.
     Congrats tom, on kicking the habit. I guess that means its my turn to buy at "Bob Evans"

THEL--- Car seats. I have 2 booster seats I use for my kids. Very easy when you have hard top on.
    MAJOR pain when soft top on. I really dont let my kids ride in JEEP during summer.

PS i need all my jeep buds to remember me in your prayers. Having some personal problems dealing with. Thanx guys

BamaTazz
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Best wishes in dealing with your problem - we'll all be thinking of you.

tidester, host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The hosts welcome you aboard also - but we know who the REAL hosts are! :-)

tidester, host
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Thel: The '04 book states that any Wrangler with a back seat doesn't have the air bag shut off. If you get a base SE it has one.

I've never put a car seat in, but the back seat has the child seat anchors so I don't think it would be too hard. I think the worst part would be getting them in the seat.

Franzia: Welcome to the family. Hope you like your new Jeep as much as we all like ours.

Bama: Best wishes, we'll all be thinking of you.

Tony
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I saw them at the Detroit show on Wednesday.

Imagine a Wrangler cross-bred with a Dodge Ram 1-ton; that pretty much sums up the concept Jeep Rescue. It's HUGE; has solid axles, and a 5.9 Cummins diesel. It's clearly for Wrangler lovers who insist on good old-fashioned Jeep concepts, but executed in a modern up-to-date format. Interesting in that it had a manual tranny! Probably the same 6-speed unit found hooked behind Cummin's-equipped Rams.

It's clearly Jeep's answer to the Hummer H2. Whether it will ever see the light of day in Jeep showrooms is another matter.

Of more relevant interest to Jeepers, I would think, would be the new production(!) Wrangler Unlimited, which has more much need room behind the rear seats and rear legroom. I think they added around 15" (?) in length, and put it to good use.

Bob
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Thel, as Tony said... but isn't it possible to yank the fuse (forget the number at the moment) and disable the passenger air bag that way? Not a pretty solution, but functional.

Bama, best wishes.

The Rescue sounds pretty cool... I wonder if and when it might show up in a showroom. Even more curious as to the price. The concept is pretty cool to say the least. Had it been available at the time I ordered Buffy, she might have been a much larger version of herself! ;-)

Andrew
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    You got my prayers, hope you get this thing worked out.

I have to ask. What makes it harder to use a car seat with the soft top on?

Terry
    I'll be hopin' and prayin' for the best as you go through your troubles. The Good Lord has His ways of workin' things out for us, so we can rest assured, knowing that He is aware of what we are facing.

And, I don't think I can say I "kicked the habit" quite yet. :) Off to a good start, yes.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I sure hope things work out for you - you will definitely be in my prayers.

Tom - Glad to hear you aren't getting complacent. While it does get easier from now on, it ain't over yet! I wonder if those funny thoughts ever totally go away (craving does eventually).

Bob - thanks for more info on the Rescue. Sounds like quite a vehicle, though it would probably be out of my range if it ever got to production. A Cummins diesel engine? Wonder how noisy it would be? By the way, what did you think of the Unlimited? I'm hoping to be in a position to buy something around the time it comes out. Any word on pricing? Sure wish it had been at the LA Auto Show...
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've used a booster in the rear of my softop Sahara with no problems. Most of the time my 9 year old son rides up front with the airbag disabled. As a matter of fact, I let him ride up front in my other two cars. I can't disable the airbag on either car so I simply move the seat as far back as it will go. I firmly believe that the airbag presents the most danger to infants in rear facing car seats and to unbelted toddlers, so I don't lose any sleep over the issue. Just my $0.02
    Well, just returned from another fun couple of hours of (mostly) mild wheeling! Hooked up with my brother in his H1, and a co-worker in a 4Runner. Might have a picture or two to post later on but not nearly enough. The fella with the camera (in the 4Runner) got stuck and wouldn't take pictures of the recovery!! At least one of my Christmas gifts (chain and strap) were put to good use. Also managed to plow through the one hill that stumped me last time with a little prodigious use of momentum... Buffy was up to task, although I do hope that her suspension didn't take too much of a beating after cresting the top (over and over and over again)!! Snow is tricky... hides way too many sudden dips and bumps. I also went over the 500 Km mark which ends the "official" break-in period. :-)

Tom, when you head out to TB, do you take along a jerry can or two? I'd swear you can see that fuel gauge move when in 4WD!!

Andrew
    I manage to drive the 70 miles to Turkey Bay, do about 10 miles on the trails there, and make the return trip on about 12 gallons of gas. So, if I fill up just before heading down to TB, I can get back home on the same tank of gas with plenty of room to spare.

I probably don't begin to cover the miles once I am actually wheelin' that you do. Turkey Bay is big by east of the Mississippi designated ORV Area standards at 2500 acres, but you lucky folks in the western US and western Canada have LOTS of acreage to play in.

Tom

• siennatjsiennatj Member Posts: 13
    If I remember correctly the new 4 speed tranny was introduced in '04? The manual tranny is the same one that Toyota uses in some of their trucks? I'm curious as to which one to choose, i'm thinking about an '04, but undecided in the transmission.

Are they both new? I think the manual 5 speed borrowed from Toyota was introduced last year, correct am I at least close?

Thanks.

Any where else you could point me that I may find a discussion on this?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Bama, you are in our prayers and thoughts. Always know you have friends here if you need anything.

As for the Jeep Rescue, sounds great, but it made me wonder: What is it about the Jeep that makes it a Jeep? For me it is the compact size, the mountain goat handling and maneuverability, and styling. What makes a Wrangler a Wrangler for you?

-Paul
    Paul:

Here's what I tell people all the time. Just drive mine, then if I have to explain it to you, you will never know.

Terry
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Auto v manual is an argument to which there is no correct answer. Some factors to consider are driving conditions, both on and off road, and simply personal preference.

The current four speed auto, the 42RLE, was introduced in '03. The current five speed manual, the NV3550, has been around for some years and is used in many different vehicles. Probably best to contact New Venture for the full list.
    So have you heard about any bugs or issues with the new auto? The current 5 speed is the same one that's been around for many years, I guess no real issues or bugs then?

Just trying to avoid problems with new equipment as my brother had when he bought a 99 Grand Cherokee, he says I'm crazy to even look at Jeep.

I'm just concerned about TSBs and design flaws that have nothing to do with who's driving, just build quality and reliability. I hope they don't cut corners in the transmission. I'll be using it mostly city/highway and couple times a year camping/off roading.

I prefer a manual transmission since I have more control, but I wouldn't mind having an auto again.
    gman: I am quite new to the world of off-roading, so I am not sure if I can accurately answer your question... I imagine that with more land becoming private/protected property it is likely that there are fewer trails to be enjoyed in this manner all over North America. I believe the term you are looking for is "Tread Lightly"... and it is something worth following if we want to keep public lands open.

Sienntaj: I'm not sure if the tranny is a collaborative effort with Toyota, but the new 4 speed auto made its debut in '03 (Mac, you beat me to it!). It comes down to personal preference... I'm a big fan of the 5 speed manual myself.

Paul: My take on the Rescue is that it's just another Jeep product... worthy in its own way. Different equipment perhaps, but still a Jeep. What Terry said is right on the spot... and I imagine there will be people that feel that way about the Rescue. I for one would have loved to have the Cummins TD (if the sizing was feasible) in Buffy...

Andrew
    The auto had some issues initially, but these seem to have been resolved in the early part of last year.

The manual currently brings complaints of noise at idle, but this is a factor of installation rather than any mechanical fault. Sound insulation on the transmission tunnel is minimal to say the least.
    In my friends 95 Jeep, in order to get it into Reverse 'smoothly' we would put it in 1st then 2nd then reverse.

From other posters the manual seems to have it's quirks, but nothing really 'unreliable' about it.

Since you mentioned that the early 4speed autos had some issues, what was wrong what did they fix? Hope that they took care of it and that there is nothing else wrong.
    The transmission in your friend's '95 would have been an AX5 or AX15, depending on the engine size. The problem you described is a common problem with any worn manual transmision.

The most common problems with the 42RLE were failure to engage drive while at an acute angle, and hard downshifting at low highway speeds. As I think I indicated earlier, these were taken care of during the early part of last year.

Anything mechanical can suffer failure, which is why you have a warranty to cover the initial life of the vehicle.
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    I would hesitate to compare a Wrangler with a 99 Grand Cherokee. There were a couple of years in the late 90's and on where the Grand Cherokee had a host of problems. I've heard and read a lot of bad things about the Grand Cherokee during that time. However, the Wrangler is rock solid - it hasn't been fundamentally changed since the '97 MY. The '99 Grand was a new model, and turned out to have issues. As others have said before, the automatic transmission seems to work well now. I have a manual and absolutely love it, and couldn't imagine having an auto transmission in my Jeep. You should have a good experience if you choose to go with either transmission.

JeepHead
    In my friends 95 Jeep, in order to get it into Reverse 'smoothly' we would put it in 1st then 2nd then reverse.

From other posters the manual seems to have it's quirks, but nothing really 'unreliable' about it.

Since you mentioned that the early 4speed autos had some issues, what was wrong what did they fix? Hope that they took care of it and that there is nothing else wrong.
    See my recent post #11835.
    Okay.. well then I'm not worried about the '04 transmission, i'll base the choice on personal preference.

Now I may wait till next year to purchase and was curious about the Saharra. You get different seats plus colored fender flares. If the Saharra is going away, what about these options?

What's the big difference in the seats, any more comfortable in the Saharra? Can you buy aftermarket fenderflares, they look a little nicer than the black plastic ones.

Is there going to be a Wrangler redesign? I thought the only addition was the longer wheel based 'Scrambler' Wrangler?

Thanks again,
    Well I'll admit to getting alot of my new Jeep info from this board but I haven't heard anything about the Saharra going away. As for the seats they are the same, they just have a different seat fabric, so nothing really all that special there. The fender flairs are the same plastic style but "extra wide" and just painted to match the rest of the Jeep. If they are getting rid of the Saharra it really wouldn't hurt, it's really just a well equipped Sport with different fabric and fenders. All of the other options you can get on a Sport.

There is going to be a Wrangler redesign for the '07 model year I believe. Most of us here are hoping they don't change it too much. We'll have to wait and see.

As for after market parts, including fenders. You can buy ANY part of the Jeep after market. When I say ANY I mean any part. They are the most customizable rides on the road.

Tony
    Just checked out the Wrangler Unlimited on the jeep website http://www.jeep.com/wrangler

Man that thing looks sweet. Extra cargo room looks usefull too. Only thing is that it doesn't come in my favorite color scheme Sienna Pearl Coat with Dark Khaki/Tan interior.

Maybe next year?
    Well I posted before about getting a set of half doors for Amy, mostly for summer and top down driving. I do too much high way driving to go doorless, I know Tom, I'll try it sometime though :) Question is where is a good place for Painting? Do you recommend a local shop or a place like Maaco? I ask because I'm trying to compare the price between getting everything from Quadratec, then painting and getting the locks keyed, or just going through the dealer. I know the dealer will be just under $2000 for the whole deal. If painting isn't too expensive I know the locks wont be too bad so it might be a little less to part it out.

Tony
    The quality of a paint job is as much determined by the person behind the spray gun as by the name over the door. Look at the quality of work and get estimates before deciding.

Remember that to do an OE quality job, the door will have to be stripped to a bare shell before painting. Remember also that Wranglers don't have the highest quality paintwork to begin with. You want a finish to match the rest of your Jeep, not to exceed it!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have a TJ and a WJ. :)

But I was looking to get input from y'all as to what YOU thought made it so special. :)

-Paul
    Mac: good point about the paint job not exceeding the rest of the Jeep. That would be a question to answer, "damn those doors look great, what happened to the rest of her?".

Glen: never thought about having the locks filled and the clean look. Might have to get out the old Photoshop and do some work tonight. Let's see what I can come up with :) Might be worth the time.

Paul: Amy's special to me because she's a Jeep. I think they are special to everyone in their own way. I love every little quirk she has.

Tony
    I've always loved Jeeps - ever since I drove one the first time. It had a starter button barely close enough to the clutch for my little feet, a chain welded to the floor to lock the steering wheel when you parked it, it was topless and doorless, with a strap across the entry way, had blackout lights and was painted OD Green. I thought it was such a blast to drive, though it did take me 20 years before I finally bought one for myself. I guess I like it because it is so unique. It is rough-n-ready and fits me more than some sissy-mobile that would look at a stream and scream. It gets me where I want to go, and lets me explore where the crowds aren't. Who needs anything more?

Sahara vs. Sport - I've always preferred the fabric in the Sport (though last year's Sahara wasn't as bad as previous years). The black fender flares are more practical to the brush around here and I didn't want the locking box (whatever they call it - I've forgotten) in the back. So I don't think it is a big deal that they are going to do away with the Sahara. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Sahara isn't selling well, since people would either go for the Sport for financial reasons (or they prefer it), or move up to the Rubicon if cost is no issue.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out "Ethical Off-Roading: Not a Contradiction in terms" in Helpful Links in the left sidebar.

Steve, Host
  • wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    Well, I have in my possession a barrowed digital camera- soon I will have some pics of my '01 Sport.

My apologies to you Titan fans. This Sunday is going to be a tough game: Indy@ New England. Maybe we'll get a blizzard and the Colts we'll have to forfeit.

I still have to think of a name for her. I've never named a vehicle before. I've always referred to my truck as THE Ram.

-Bill

anybody got any snow they can send to Maine?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I appreciate all your prayers. I NEED them more that ever.

Seats with soft top.. With hard top I can open back window kids can climb right it I can fasten seat belts and done.
     soft top..go through front seats..climb in back.
    reach around to fasten seats..
    whew..

thanx again buds..
    I appreciate it!!

BamaTazz
    I get it.

Terry
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Why not just take the back window out? Heck, for that matter, why not go ahead and take the side windows out and doors off as well. :) After all, it is a Jeep.

I'm assuming you use the hard top in cooler weather and the soft top in warm weather.

And BTW: Whatever the problems are, we're right beside you.
    Yeah, I am still hangin'. I guess Day 14 is in the books now. Thanks for askin'.

Man, I am SO SORRY about your Ellie Mae. That would be just PURE TORTURE to have a brand new Jeep and then have it taken away after four days!

Hope ya get her back SOON!

Tom

Thanks for the update on Ellie Mae - as we were driving home this evening I thought about how she was (maybe it was because they were talking about the 91 on the radio). Several years ago I had a friend who got a new tranny in her brand new Suburban and never had another problem, so lets hope that's what happens with Ellie Mae.

Tom - way to go! 2 weeks! Keep hanging in there!

For all you freezing in the northeast (I'm watching the New York news now), I sympathize. Of course, I'd rather have snow right now than to have 70s and 80s like we've been having the last coulple of days. I sure would like to have an excuse to drive the Wrangler to work once in a while...
    Well they've been saying all week that we're going to get a few inches of snow tonight. I haven't seen one flake yet. They get me all exciting about getting Amy out in the snow and then kill me. These 20 degree days and no snow are just torture.

Tom: way to go man.

Glen: Hoping you get Ellie Mae back soon.

Tony
    Time to see if my friend's site supports hot links... Here are a couple of pictures for y'all. Pretty light stuff, but tons of fun!

Buffy on a little bump in the field...

Buffy and I at the crest of a hill that was finally defeated with some momentum. The picture doesn't do it justice. The transfer skid got packed with snow on this one, and the front diff. was doing its best impression of a snow plow (if you look *REALLY* carefully you can see the groove it formed by my left leg)!

This was my 2nd trip in just over a week of ownership - after coming home from this excursion Buffy finally crossed over the 500 Km mark.

Andrew
    Nice pics! Thanks for sharing!

That's a beautiful Jeep, and it is so good to see that you are not afraid to take her off the pavement and let her have some fun.

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Anyone thinking of buying new will like this... On Jeep.com, they are listing 0% for 48 months PLUS $2000 Cash allowance. I didn't see any restrictions on model either. Looks like it runs through the end of March.

Also saw that my neighbor's Jeep made it into the Jeep.com Real Stories Real People section. His is the black "Cox Plumbing" Jeep.

-twylie
    Great looking Jeep - looks like great fun! Wish I were there instead of my desk at work right now. I'm turning green with envy (sigh)...
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Buffy looks great in all that snow. BTW you still haven't come to take all this cold weather back. I trade it for just a couple inches of your snow.

mtngal - if we don't get a little snow soon. I'd love some of those 70 - 80 degree temps.

bama - wishin' you well from New England

tsjay & kelleyo - congrats on day 14

Rich

GO PATRIOTS!
    Tom, let's just say that I'm not too afraid to take her off the pavement... Both times so far I was like "I hope she's fine, I hope she's fine". lol. It's all quite new to me. Congrats on the 2-week marker by the way!

Mtngal, it was a ton of fun... hoping to do more of that and soon. Like you I get to think about it more than actually doing... the life of an office-rat I suppose!

Rich, thanks. You have my sympathies on the weather - that little arctic high sat on top of us for a little over a week. Enjoying the reprieve, although the freezing rain that keeps sprinkling through we could do without...

Andrew
    Thanks. That's quite the schedule... I get every other Friday off, but that's about it. Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to spend with Ellie'Mae. Oh, and your daughter too! ;-)

I'm not going for floatation as the snow isn't usually all that deep where I've been. Instead I try to cut through to where I can gain some purchase with those MTR's. I am quite happy with their performance. Now, if I wanted to crawl up a few areas, or was traversing a deeper snow field, I might try to air down some (and make sure to buy an air compressor beforehand).

Andrew
    It all depends on how you look at it. The winters here are (way too) long, usually too cold, but provide quite the spectacular scenery. I keep thinking about moving to the west coast as the climate there is much better suited for human habitation... ;-)

I don't carry a sleeping bag in my car, but would definitely do so if I had to do any significant driving out of town.

Andrew