Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Congrats on your purchases (Thomas, Borchone, anyone else I missed?)... you're going to enjoy those jeeps. I've had mine for close to 2 months now and still can't believe how happy I am driving her around town!

Andrew
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    No...Mine came off with out a problem.
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Welcome to the club guys. Borchone glad that you found out the reason for that shutter and that you got a nice new Rubi. I sure hope that dealership sends that poor jeep back to DC. I still can't wipe the smile off my face when I'm behind the wheel.

Tony
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler! Glad ya joined us.

CONGRATS on the Rubi! That's sure the way I would go, if I were buying a new Wrangler now. Those babies are sweet!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No names of individuals please - helps keep down the shill posts. Dealer names are fine.

Give me ten :-)

Steve, Host
  • greenmeaniegreenmeanie Member Posts: 14
    I just can't do anything right :(

OK no names! Thanks Steve.
    Bill, I look forward to the pics. Can anyone tell me if the convenience group console for the 2004 is the same one that houses the optional factory sub?

Thomas
    Nothing like a place with a bunch of rules eh?

Go Army!

Steve, Host

(why did you buy a Jeep anyway -- aren't you supposed to ship one home in a few dozen crates? You only have Hummers around there?)
    mtngal, you make a good point regarding the trunk. I have an Alaskan Malamute that will probably object to crawling over that thing, and I was thinking of removing the rear seat too. I guess I will have to teach Cody to use the passenger door! Oh, well, I'll just have to wait and see how it plays. Thanks!
    Steve, we have hummers here but we prefer the Toyotas for the longer ops as they can be repaired locally so you don't have to call for a Chinook to sling load your hummer back to base when it breaks down, and it will break down.

As for shipping home, the Army is no fun anymore. Can't ship home Hummers, Aks, or other toys and many have been burned trying. The MPs at Bagram do have a Wrangler, lucky boogers!

Thomas
    Tony, do you have XM? I haven't had either previously, but chose Sirius for NPR and more commercial free channels, that and the free tuner. I have pretty eclectic tastes that local programming just can't satisfy so I consider the $10/month a bargain. It will be cool for long road trips too!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I'm with greenmeanie on Sat. radio. I've had XM for about 6 months now and consider the $10 a month to be a bargain for the quality and diversity of programming. Both options are commercial free on the music channels now, so the special interest programming is the big differentiator.

-twylie
    pretty Sirius about that satellite radio.

:)

Tom

• go_ducksgo_ducks Member Posts: 22
    So the Army does still occasionally buy Jeeps? My sister is a Marine captain and when she was stationed at Camp Pendleton there were still a few old officers who demanded their drivers use Jeeps, but the Jeeps themselves were pretty old.
  • wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    GreenMeanie:

The '04 Model w/ full floor console does house the Sub (same as my '01). It's lockable too!
    I don't have XM myself but it's quite popular with friends, and stores around here say they sell more of it. I'll agree with twylie that the sound is incredible. All the music channels are commercial free, so no worries there. I'd say get the service that you like with the channels you want. From what I've seen you can't go wrong with satellite.

Tony
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've been thinking about getting one of the satellite radios but haven't really looked into it yet. My brother-in-law got a new pickup recently that happened to have XM and he thinks it is wonderful. He lives in a pretty remote area and travels a lot so having consistent channels means a great deal to him. I've been wondering if one of the services will go the way of the 8-track or if they will both continue on like Directv and Dish Network.

Since the sound bar was not standard in '98 and mine doesn't have one I'd want to go all the way - add satellite radio, a sound bar, maybe a CB radio, etc. I've also thought about getting a voice only ham licence because I'm occasionally wandering where there is no cell phone coverage and too far away from others for CBs. I understand that there are enough repeaters in the mountains to make coverage where I go pretty good. Has anyone else gone this route?
    check out the Roady for XM radio. It's a small self contained unit that can be used with a factory cassette player or broadcast over an FM station. It's the least expensive hardware @ $120, but portable between vehicles. I'm thinking about picking one up for my folks since they are retired and travelling more now. I can put up to 3 additional receivers on my account for $8 a month vs. the full price for each one.

As far as which company may go belly up... They both are losing a lot of cash, but XM has a much larger user base (over 1.3 million vs a couple hundred thousand for Sirius). Break even for either company is a year or two out at a minimum, but both appear to have sufficient cash to get to that point. Adoption and activation through new car sales is seen to be the golden egg for both companies.

-twylie
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Where did you mount your xm antenna? I have XM on my BMW and thought if I buy myself a TJ, I would want the XM. Just don't know where I'd mount the antenna. :)

-Paul
    I have XM installed in my DD, but have pulled the tuner module out and used it in the Jeep for long trips. The antenna was between the hood and the windshield for my long trips in the Jeep, but many people have reported that the top of the soudbar is a great location. That spot is clear of anything to block the signal and the top still fits fine (not sure on the hard top clearance).

The new micro antenna that are shipping with the Roady and Commander are not much larger than a half dollar; much smaller than the Terk I have which is the size of a small PC mouse. I haven't looked to see if they can be purchased separately, but the size is great.

-twylie
    Thanks for the information on the satellite radios. It does sound like the roady is the way to go for me, since price is always an object for me! I've seen them advertised and got the impression you could use them inside a building also (or is that a different unit?). We have very limited radio reception (like 2 or 3 stations) so something like that would be nice for the house also.
    XM & Sirius Satellite Radio has some more info - I think Sirius is the one that really advertises the indoor receiver but I bet both have it.

Steve, Host
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I am looking into sat radio myself. I want to replace my factory radio too. I was wondering where to put the antenna as well. I do have one question. Can you still pick up your local stations as well, or are you totaly summited to sat radio. I droped cable TV last year picked up DirecTV I love it. Perfect picture. So I'm sure sat radio is just as good. Getting warmer here in BAMA. Spring is close I can feel it!! Keep Jeepin!!! BAMA!
    You still can use the regular functions of the head unit - FM/AM/CD/etc. The Sat signal is just another source. I can't see going back to broadcast radio on any new vehicles after having the variety XM offers.

-twylie
    Thanks, Steve for the link to the board about sat radio. It constantly amazes me how many different topics there are here on Edmunds.

We are definitely having winter. It was windy and either raining or snowing on the trip home and we were in the Taco. I sure missed having the fog lights on the Wrangler - they make a huge difference on rural mountain roads when it is snowing.

At least it looks like a Jeep day tomorrow - I expect the roads will be icy since they were wet/a little slushy on the way home. The only bad thing about it is the fact that gas did go up to $1.82 yesterday and if it is still windy, I'll squirm at the gas station.
    Hey, tom. I'm dang Sirius! BTW I checked out your web page, looks like you have a good time out there at Turkey Bay!

Steve, thanks for the link. It sounds like either service has a lot to offer. I'm psyched to get home and install my new audio in my new Jeep!
    Glad ya checked out my website. You got it right... I have FUN at Turkey Bay! Now, figure out a way to get down here with that new Jeep of yours some day.

Tom

I have been off the cigs for seven weeks now! I can't believe it!!!

It is still pretty tough going at times, but this is by far the best start I ever had.

Kelleyo???? You still with me on this? Hey, if you fell off the wagon, don't be ashamed. I sure have come close several times, and it could still happen yet. Just start over when the time is right, if you didn't make it this time. I'm hoping I'll hear that you are still doing OK, though.

Tom

As you all may or may not know, I have the XM radio in my BMW.

XM is like another band on your radio: AM/FM/FM2/XM. You run your satellite radio antenna to a satellite receiver. This receiver is then connected one of several ways:

1. Directly into an XM ready receiver (Alpine makes some nice ones - like the one in our TJ).
    2. Use an RF modulated source. Some are mounted in the car behind the dash. Mine was installed behind the dash - you can't tell it is there. The modulator was actually soldered into the antenna lead and the regular antenna cable hooked in behind it.
    3. Cassette/CD adapter. These are okay, but a lot of car stereos will kick the tape out if the tape capstans don't spin.

The Delphi units I believe fall under #2.

When my XM unit is powered on, it essentially blocks all my other AM and FM traffic. I have my stereo tuned to 88.7 to receive it. Some say RF isn't very clear, but I truly love the clarity I have, especially with no static. We went this route as we wanted the factory/stealth look.

My Alpine unit in the TJ would be a direct connect and pure digital. I'm just not willing to put XM gear in a softtop Jeep for a high schooler. :) (It used to be in my Honda Civic Si).

If you want to see my install, you can see it in WebShots.

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

-Paul
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have not had a single Smoke since 2003!

I am weaning myself off of the gum now (only had 1 piece today so far)

I do not have an urge to smoke anymore.

I have smoked on and off for 25 years. I quit cold turkey for 1 years, 2 years (twice), and 3 years, went 5 years after the gum and then started back last year (for 9 months). So out of 25 years I have smoked for 12...

Hopefully it is over for good. Most places i travel do not allow it anymore and Georgia is about to pass a ban. It really helps if you are having a brew in a bar with no smoking! Helps mitigate any temptation to bum one at the bar!!

Keep it up Tom! You are way more thatn halfwa home now!
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    Tony,

Where did you get the information on a potential Wrangler Unlimited Rubi? That is what I am really looking for. I was really bummed out when I heard that Jeep was only going to offer full-doors and only put an automatic tranny on the Unlimited.

I love the Rubi and would like to buy one but I also really want to have the increased space of the Unlimited. Also, if it happens, would the Unlimited Rubi be a 2006 model? I have been patiently waiting to replace the old '87 Wrangler but the wait is getting old!

Jim

Gang - I see where Edmund's finally put Jeep back on the Town Hall front page with their new DB set-up!! I think it was Tom who asked a few months ago why the Wrangler board get more post then any other but Jeep was not on the front page. Tom, they finally listened to you.
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    I'm thinking about buying a new Rubicon. I currently drive a 99 Toyota Prerunner 6 cyl auto. The truck does its' job, but it is very boring to drive. My boyfriend told me to keep the truck and put in a sunroof. I don't know if I can do that. I do know that if I get the Jeep, he'll be trying to sneak it away from me.

I'm looking for a vehicle that will become my primary vehicle that I can have fun in. It will become a 3rd vehicle in a few years. This is something I plan on keeping for 10+ years. I feel I need to get this vehicle now because I plan to have kids in a few years. I love the wind in my hair. I have leased a convertible before and I loved it. Unfortunately, I cannot justify or afford paying over $35,000 for a toy. I want to purchase new because I plan on keeping it for a long time.

The Miata is wimpy, the Toyota MR2 has NO trunk space, the Solara has no soul, the Sebring is made by Chrysler, and I don't feel a lot of love for the current Mustang.

The Jeep is entirely different. I have a motorcycle, so I enjoy the open air feel. (I'll probably have to sell it if I get the Jeep.) I feel like I'm able to breathe when I'm in an open air vehicle. I plan on going off road a little bit, but I'll use it for trips up the mountain for biking and trips to the beach with the top down.

I wanted to know if there were ways to make a Jeep faster.

Is there a better aftermarket roof available than what Jeep sells?

Is it really difficult to remove the soft top once it gets broken in?

How reliable are Jeeps and do they have any inherent problems?

I like driving quickly and I wanted to know if the Jeep is prone to tipping over. Is the handling very bad on a Rubicon? It felt pretty stable when I test drove it and tried to see how prone it was to tipping.

Any more information I might need to know?

Thank you for any help you might give me. I need to know if I'm doing the right thing.

Kai-Ling
  • borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
    Kai-Ling

Go for the Rubicon. I've owned Jeeps for 20 years and just bought a new Rubi last week. I've had the two top models in every Jeep I owned and yes the soft top use to be a real hassle, but now it is better. It may take you a few minutes longer than like in your Miata, but, it is worth it. Look on e-bay and you'll see many Jeep wranglers with 150,000 miles on and still going. They are very dependable. And just darn fun to drive and you really get noticed. I work in a plant with 200 people and I can't believe the number of people who come up and want to see the Rubicon. Anyone can own a pick-um-up truck. But Jeep Wranglers are special, fun, the automatic is fast and they hold their value alot better than most. A big factor for me was the 2000 rebate, 500 military financing, huge dealer discount and 48 month interest free financing. I've put well over 100,000 miles on my Jeeps and never had a tipping problem.

Dick
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Any particular reason you want a Rubicon? A Rubicon is specifically designed for rock crawling, and because of the weight of the extra features it's less than ideal as a daily driver. I'd suggest that a Sport, Sahara or 'X' model would better suit your intended use.

Engine performance can easily be improved, but not by any of the 'micky mouse' add-ons. Two things that work are stroking and supercharging. Both will require an expenditure of $3-$4k. Occasional bursts of speed can be achieved more cheaply with the use of nitrous injection.

There many alternative roof choices available. "Better' is in the eye of the beholder though.

The factory soft top does get easier to fold as it breaks in. It's also easier when it's warm.

Although every manufacturer makes the occasional lemon, the current Wrangler doesn't seem to have any consistant reliability issues.

Is it less stable than a sports car? Yes. Does it have a reputation for falling over? No. You'll have to try pretty hard to overturn one on the highway.

A Wrangler is a vehicle that doesn't usually leave people unmoved. There's plenty of practical reasons not to buy one, but if you do connect with it's unique properties then it's probably the right vehicle for you.

:--)
  • grazkgrazk Member Posts: 18
    Thanks Borchone1 and mac24.

Borchone1, do you have an automatic? Does it work well? I am almost positive I'm going to get a manual tranny if I get a Jeep. I miss driving a stick shift.

mac24, I am looking at a Rubicon because it is top of the line, it is rugged, a Jeep will really never go out of style. I could drive the thing 20 years from now and it would still be cool. When I saw it on Tomb Raider, I fell in love with it then. It is an awe inspiring vehicle, it makes my heart race when I look at it. I have to buy what I want or I won't be satisfied and I'll keep thinking about the Rubicon even though I have a brand new Sahara. This has happened before when I talked myself out of something "better" and become disappointed after time because I didn't get what I intended to get in the first place. I will occasionally take it off road and I just want to have it just in case. That is part of the reason I want to sell my truck, it doesn't have 4wd. It was stopped at a red light on about a 45 degree incline and the road was icy. My truck would NOT go up it. The other vehicles went up the hill and mine did not. Luckily it was at night and there wasn't much traffic and I was able to back up about 50 feet to level ground and get a "running start" to get up the hill. I had new Pirelli Scorpion 31x10.5x15 on it. I don't want that to happen again. I like to feel safe when I drive and I want my vehicle to be able to handle everything.

Also, the Rubicon is only $1500 more than the Sahara and it has the Dana 44, the beefier tires and wheels and it JUST LOOKS AWESOME. I bought the Tacoma because I needed a truck for work around the house, so I want to get something that I REALLY like. $24,000 isn't too bad. That's $500/month at 0% financing. I also would get the military discount borchone1!

Do you happen to know if there are any more deals coming after March 1? I have a few things coming up and it will be a little difficult to get a Jeep right now. I need a couple months to get things straighted out.

I'm going to see if the dealer will let me get my grubby hands on one for the weekend. :)
    I used my Sport for a daily driver for about 6 months before we bought the (hated) 2WD 4-banger Tacoma. The Wrangler's seats are SO much more comfortable! So not only would you get a more fun vehicle, you'll get one that is more comfortable, too.

While the Wrangler doesn't have a reputation for being tippy or rolling on the freeways, it isn't a sports car. The steering is very quick and it has the aerodynamics of a brick wall. That means that the faster you go, the more gas that (very thirsty) I6 engine will drink. Another byproduct is terrible handling in the wind - I occasionally find myself making unexpected lane changes when it is really windy. It is significantly harder to drive in the wind than the Taco.

If those things don't bother you (like it is not windy very often and the extra fuel consumption isn't a problem) then a Wrangler is a great vehicle. I have a '98 and it is still going strong with over 116,000 miles on it. I use it as my daily driver when it snows and it has only let me down once in 5 years. That time we had 30" of heavy snow in one night and I got high centered in the (unplowed) street in front of my house.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I just wanted to point out that the Rubicon is not so much top of the range as a specialist vehicle. Your reasons for choosing the Rubicon are perfectly valid. If you want it and can afford it, why not?

I don't know what will happen after March 1st., and I doubt that anyone does at the moment, but I'd guess that similar incentives to the current ones will appear.
    Jim:

That wasn't me that was asking about Jeep not being on the home page of Town Hall. I have forgotten who it was that brought that up.

Tom

One thing you have asked troubles me a little as far as your possible satisfaction with a Wrangler. Your question about making them faster makes me wonder if you will really be happy with a Jeep.

Kai-Ling, Jeeps are fast enough from the factory, if you get the 4.0 L inline six. You have to consider the handling of a vehicle when you are thinking about how much speed it should be capable of. A Jeep is a narrow-track, short wheelbase vehicle with a high center of gravity. All this adds up to poor handling in emergency manuevers and poor cornering characteristics relative to a passenger car. You might take an off ramp at 80 MPH in a Corvette, but you might be pushing things by taking it at 45 MPH in a Jeep.

Jeeps CAN be rolled when they are not operated with these constraints in mind. ANY vehicle has its limits, and ALL vehicles can be rolled when their limits are exceeded.

It's a trade off. The narrow track and short wheel base make the Jeep capable of getting into real tight spots on the trails (also makes 'em great for parking in town). The high center of gravity is the price paid for the ground clearance that makes a Jeep capable of going through some extremely rough terrain off road. The high clearance also contributes to the fun of sitting up nice and high as you drive down the road.

If a Jeep is truly for YOU, then when you consider the plusses and minuses, you will decide that the pure FUN of having a Jeep makes up for all of the negatives.

For me, having a Jeep is worth every single sacrifice a hundred times over. I LOVE MY JEEP!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. :)

Tom

David:

Where ya been, Boy??? It's been a couple weeks since ya posted. You still with us????

Hey, hope you are still going to try to make it down here to wheel with me in the next few weeks. Maybe when Paul comes????

Let us hear from ya!

Tom

• siennatjsiennatj Member Posts: 13
    I hear about the upcoming redesign. Are there any spy shots out there? What about articles referring to the styles of the redesign or possible upgrades/changes?

Thank you.
    As Tom has already pointed out, I'll be in the area March 7th (Sunday) and would love to go wheelin. Tom and I are gonna go, but we really need others there for safety. So who wants to go? I'll be bringing my digicam so we can get some good pics of what we do. Maybe Tom will put a few on his site. :)

I have Monday available also (at least half the day) before I have to do real work so wheelin Monday would be cool too if anybody is up for it. :)

-Paul
    Man, put me down for not liking this log in either! I like to go to my message center and then on to Jeep Wrangler or Impala.

Tom

• leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    I'm no expert around here, just an '03 Sahara owner. I agree with everything everybody has been saying about tradeoffs of Wranglers. I think what makes Rubicon 'top of the line'= pricey is because of the rock crawling features. As a daily driver, if you compare the specs, I think the Sahara has more comfort features. Of course you can upgrade and add extra features to make your Rubi more cushy. I do take my Sahara off roading a fair amount, and it handles most obstacles just fine. Having said that, I love rock crawling, so if I were to do it over, perhaps I would get a Rubi. :)
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Count me in as well... definitely prefered the old way.

Andrew
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You're the only ones so far who have even mentioned the new sign in process!

I don't see what the problem is since I am automatically signed back in when I come back to the site and pick up where I left off.

tidester, host
  • wildbl1500wildbl1500 Member Posts: 48
    The new sign-in, isn't very good.

I check the board from both home and work. At home, i do have the auto sign-in, but at work I manually login.

-Bill
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    it won't save my info to logon automatically.
    boy do i dislike retyping info :-P
    Jim: My comment about the Unlimited Rubi is purely speculation from several other web forums. I'm not sure if DC has said anything publicly about it or not. I do know that by the response that everyone gives to the idea it will most likely sell well. I love my Rubi and since I don't have to carry much now the space doesn't bother me either.

Kai-Ling: You have me worried. I'll tell you right now, on the highway I've got no problem doing 85 or so, next to the fact that I'll get less then 10mpg. I usually keep it to around 70-75. On back roads around here I wouldn't break 65, on the straits and even slower on the curves. Like Mac said, it's a high center of gravity, you can feel the tilt/lean in the ride. If you are used to being able to speed up at a yellow light to make a right/left turn at 55 you most likely wont be doing that in a Wrangler (I did once, leaning on 2 wheels wasn't my idea of a good time :(

After saying all that I'll end with I love my Rubi. She's a great ride and will handle anything I throw at her. If you can live with all the trade offs then go for it, but remember a Wrangler isn't for everyone.

Tony
    Hey guys just wondering if you could all say a prayer for my friends son, AJ. He's been in the hospital 3 times this year with pneumonia, I've been dog sitting for them for the past 3 days. The poor little guy's only 2, and they just can't figure out why it keeps coming back.

Thanks

Tony