Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    What’s with bumper corners, I thought the bumpers were supposed to protect the vehicle, so what do the corners protect, the bumper? (What’s gonna protect the bumper corners? :P). IMO bumper corners are a waste of plastic.

Before I introduce myself I want to apologize for being such a lurker.

I’ve read most all the posts and could probably recognize many of you on the road. (especially you Tom! & Ross Allen too!)

01r1 - Pete, if you made a calendar of your jeepin’ pictures I would be one of the first in line to buy it. I hope you don’t mind, but I borrowed one for my desktop. Would love to check out that beautiful scenery in person.

Twylie - I love your web site. Your detailed explanations, coupled with the great photos, are a great source of reference for future projects.

Mtngal - you go girl, I’m rootin’ for 200k, or a lottery win so you can park a new “Rubi” in the driveway

mac24 – are you sitting at an answer desk? You seem to be an invaluable source of technical information

My name is Rich and I’m from the “Bay State” (I’ll let you figure out that one). I have the Wrangler bug real bad. For example, my kids know to point out every Jeep they see on the road.(not like I don’t see them all anyway) If anyone has seen the VW commercial that shows the man with the “Beetle” stuck on his head, that’s me(substitute the Jeep of course). I am becoming obsessed.

I had an ’87 YJ (pre kids) so I know how much fun they are, and I have driven the newer style TJ (big difference).

I have a dilemma. The wife has given me the go ahead on one condition (you know maybe that’s two conditions, since she’ll want a say in the color, but anyway…) it has to be an automatic. Well my old one was a stick and I have a feeling I’ll miss that, but hey at least it’s a jeep. My main question is what are the differences between the old 3spd and new 4spd? The Jeep will be my daily driver (40 hwy mi/day) and errand runner. Unfortunately due to my busy “dad” schedule I don’t see much offroading in the near future (but I know how things change, Tom). I would like to buy used, but realize the 4spd wasn’t introduced until this year. Do I wait a little longer to buy one a yr old, buy a used 3spd, buy new, or just buy a 5spd & teach my wife how to drive it :-)

Well, I think I got enough off my chest and I gave you folks plenty to read. I agree with Tom it was getting pretty quiet in here all of a sudden.

Wishin’ I could wave to ya,

Rich
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Teach your wife how to drive STICK!

Here's what you do...find one of those $200 cars on the side of the road (If it is stick). Then, teach her in that. When you get through, sell it for $205. Someone out there will buy it.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you decided to step out of the shadows and join the fray!

We hope to hear a lot more from you!

tidester, host
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Rich:

Thanks for finally posting! Hope now that you've broken the ice that you will be a frequent poster. As evidenced by many of my posts, you don't really have to have much to say of any importance... just POST. :)

Man, if there is ANY way possible, buy NEW. I have never seen such a good time to buy a new vehicle in my life! You might know this would happen after I finally got cured from car trading all the time.

Used Jeeps hold their value so much, and the new ones have such great incentives, it makes since to buy new if you possibly can.

As for the transmission, I am with you on the five speed manual being the most desirable. Maybe you can talk the Mrs. into taking some lessons on driving a stick.

If you go automatic and go new, then you will get the four speed auto. I don't know anything about the reliability of that four speed vs. the old three speed. Hope someone can address that.

Hey if Momma wants you to get an automatic, that must mean Momma plans on driving it, and if she wants to drive a Jeep, she must be a pretty cool lady! (I would still try to talk her into the five speed, though.)

The four speed will have an overdrive gear to cut down on your RPMs at highway speed. The three speeds had a 1:1 third gear, and the four speeds have a .8:1 fourth gear, or something close to that. You will get better highway gas mileage (probably) with the four speed.

Good luck and keep us posted as things develop! We're all pulling for you!

Oh, now that you have posted, are you gonna start coming to Gill's and chat with some of us?

http://itsajeep.org

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • earsears Posts: 20
    Hi all!

I’ve had my ’99 Sport for about 2.5 weeks now and I'm enjoying it very much. Unfortunately it only came with one key and the Jeep has the Sentry security feature (the key has a chip it). I went to the Jeep dealer today and they wanted $65 to make a duplicate; $40 for the key and $25 to program. I thought that was outrageous so I passed. Later I called the other Jeep dealer in the area and they wanted $90 - $95 ($50 to program).

Frustrated, I called a few local locksmiths but was told that going through the dealer was the only solution. Anyone else have this situation? Anyone know of any other solution? I may be forking out $65 for a key!

eARS
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Purchase the key and program it yourself. Your Owners Handbook has the instructions.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,274
    Well, in that case, you can get "transponder" keys off eBay for $10 to $20 or so. Might be worth a look although the fine print on one auction says you need two existing keys to program it. Usual disclaimers!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• likalarlikalar Posts: 108
    Tom wrote:
    ...."Man, if there is ANY way possible, buy NEW. I have never seen such a good time to buy a new vehicle in my life!......Used Jeeps hold their value so much, and the new ones have such great incentives, it makes since to buy new if you possibly can.....>>

Others here have made very favorable comments about Jeep resale value.....So, for the sake of balance, and argument, here's the situation here in Northern Californis (where the economy is "soft" right now, and good used items seem more reasonably priced than in years past). My 2000 Wrangler Sport hardtop, very well equipped, (30" package, Dana44, CD, hardtop,etc) stickered new at approx. 23,500. I looked at used ones, and easily found a 27000 mile, perfect, never hit 5 speed 2 1/2 year old Wrangler with brand new rubber and factory service records a few months ago for $13,500. Others just like it in the area were priced from $13-$16,000. So, after 2 1/2 years, the car has devalued $10,000. In the NEXT 2 1/2 years, I expect it to devalue maybe another $3-4000. I'm hoping a 5 year old well equipped Sport with 60,000 miles will still be worth approx. $9,500. or so. At any rate, I only posted this as just another way of thinking about value. Yes, I've bought new cars before, and love them, but, at least in my case, the used ones have been the more economical ones to own (cost per mile).
    Likalar
    P.S. I'll be adding an extended factory warrenty soon, an expense that I did not include in the above figures.
    P.P.S. The above is opinion, and varies greatly by region. ;-)
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    You can do this yourself, but it looks like you need two "good" keys in order to do it.

http://www.ewylie.com/senkeyprog.pdf (24k)

HTH

-twylie
    Yep, there is much to be said for letting someone else take that first big hit on depreciation. You know how it goes with a new car... drive it off the lot and it loses about a third of its value in the first mile that it is driven.

It's after that big initial drop that the Jeeps will hold value better than other vehicles.

Used or new, just get a JEEP! Ain't nothin' like em!

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Wecome to the board! As far as the 5 speed vs. auto - personally I think that any woman (or guy for that matter) should know how to drive a stick. On the other hand, spouses should not try to teach their other half how to do it (or much of anything). Keep your marriage intact, have someone else teach her (from someone who tried to teach my other half how to ride a horse (disaster) and a motorcycle (partly successful - he already knew about clutches).

Depreciation - Just about every car depreciates. Some more than others. My 2000 Tacoma is worth less than my '98 Wrangler (last time I looked the Tacoma was worth just over $1,000 less than the Wrangler, even though the Wrangler is over 100,000 miles and the Tacoma is under 100,000).
  • likalarlikalar Posts: 108
    "Used or new, just get a JEEP! Ain't nothin' like em!"

Very true! When I first posted here, asking about used Wranglers, the people on this board were helpful about towing tips, engines, trannies, etc. At the time I was looking for a Jeep mainly for towing and weekend use. Wrong! My 8 month old luxo-wagon is in the garage collecting dust (my son wrote "wash me, use me" in the dust), while the Jeep has become the family workhorse. Love it!
    Likalar
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    "Hey if Momma wants you to get an automatic, that must mean Momma plans on driving it, and if she wants to drive a Jeep, she must be a pretty cool lady! (I would still try to talk her into the five speed, though.)"

She is a cool lady. When I owned my YJ I tried to teach her, however, the seat didn't pull forward enough for her to fully depress the clutch. She got very discouraged. Don't think she has the patience to try again. Maybe the seats in the TJ have more travel though.

The fountain of youth can only be found in a Jeep:)

Rich
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    Hey, determine the difference between the cost of the auto v/s the 5 spd and ask the Mrs. if she would take that amount as compensation for letting you get into the 5 spd.

I love having a stick and in a pinch, it can really get that stock 6 cyl. hauling. Of course while doing this you can watch your gas gauge drop in real time, but sometimes it's necessary to "move it".

We have three small children (elementary school) and they love off-roading, especially mud. It is surprising how much they actually pay attention to the trail ahead. Plus, this will let you access areas that their little legs would have trouble hiking/biking to.
    "......I love having a stick and in a pinch, it can really get that stock 6 cyl. hauling......"

Don't forget that with the auto you can select and hold the gears manually. Holding first and second till you hit the limiter will give acceleration that most people don't realize is there.
    Twylie is correct, you need two keys to program up to six more. So, $20 (eBay) plus $25 (dealer programming) for your first one, then $20 a key thereafter.
  • kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    choice to go with my new Alpine system. I really did not want to give up much space and the factory sub in the console is too expensive (have to replace the whole console). I decided to go with the Mopar Sound Deck. I got it on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2401151928&category=6775 new for $199.

I can't wait to install it this weekend. I was never looking for HEavy kicking bass, I just want to fill out the sound.

I will report my results once I get it installed and working.
    Man, please keep us informed on your progress in getting a Jeep. You have read lots of the posts in here, you said, so you KNOW I get excited when anyone gets a Jeep.

Good luck!

Tom

• Hi I'm the proud owner of a brand new Sahara, and I'm so clueless, I probably don't deserve one. I know it's been discussed a number of times before, but just double checking.... One of the tops on the dual top NEED to be removed, correct?? At least that's what the little video and the manual says. I intend to keep on the hard top for now. The dealer says I don't need to take the soft top out and that there is no difference whether I store the soft top within the vehicle as they come, or if I go through the ordeal to take it out and store it elsewhere.

I'm confused. Help!!

Otherwise I *LOVE* my new wheels. :D

Thanks for your input.
    WELCOME AND CONGRATS ON THE NEW JEEP!

I didn't get the dual top option, but I would CERTAINLY go with what DC says rather than what the dealer says.

Everyone I have heard about that got the dual top option took one of the tops off right away, like they tell ya to do.

Those soft tops are too expensive to take a chance on damaging them by leaving them in there with the hard top on. They plainly tell ya that they do that from the factory strictly for shipping purposes.

Tom

Tom is correct. DC built the Jeep, wrote the manual, and filmed the video. Your dealer placed an order, received the vehicle, and collected your money. Who's information should you place most credence in?

Anyhow, the soft top isn't too hard to store (you could put it behind the sofa). :-)
    I'm only 5' tall and have short legs (small enough to enjoy riding ponies) and I have no problems handling the clutch in my TJ. In fact, I don't have the seat all the way forward - it is out a notch. But I wouldn't push it if she's really reluctant.

The only YJ I ever test drove was an auto, so I can't speak about them. I do remember having problems reaching the starter button in the old Army Jeeps, but that was more because I have small feet and couldn't always reach it and the clutch too. Does anyone beside oceantoad remember those days?
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    "DaimlerChrysler Corp. president Dieter Zetsche wants to build the auto maker's new, flexible assembly plant in Ontario, but raised the possibility yesterday that the company could choose Mexico if a deal can't be reached with suppliers and Canadian governments. ........
    The new plant is slated to assemble the Dodge M80 compact pickup truck, a compact sport utility vehicle off the same platform, or basic underbody, possibly the next version of the Jeep Wrangler SUV and perhaps a pickup for Hyundai Motor, another auto maker in the DaimlerChrysler AG family."
          Mike's Totally Free Jeep News

I hate to see such an American icon being assembled outside the US, but my guess is I won't care much for the next generation of wrangler anyway and will probably continue driving my current TJ until they bury me in it.
  • lvcheflvchef Posts: 52
    Boy I hope it doesn't look like the Liberty!! The old Cherokee was a GREAT Jeep, and sadly enough they replaced it with a Soccer Mom style Jeep. I hope they dont do the same to the Wrangler.
    I really hope they don't change much as far as styling, because the Wrangler is one of the most unique cars around. Just about everything else looks alike to me - it is either a truck, an enclosed truck (most SUVs) or a car.

Hope that everyone has a good weekend wherever you are, and that the weather is nice. I'm going to be camping on the beach, enjoying our hot weather (it was over 90 in some spots today). They are talking about the weather might change next week - maybe we will be lucky enough to get some snow. My snowshoes are getting dusty!
    Where are posts 8148 and 8149? The screen I'm looking at right now jumps from 8147 to 8150.

?

Tom

• luca1luca1 Posts: 29
    I happen to like the styling of the Liberty, even more so than the old Cherokee. I happen to have a Liberty and I love everything about it and I am not a soccer mom. I also love Wranglers and with any luck ,I will have one in the not too distant future. Don't want my Liberty to get lonesome

I most definitely hugged my Jeep today !!
    wendy
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,274
    Tom, we had a jerk spamming vile all over the boards a couple of hours ago - thus the housecleaning. Trust me, you didn't miss anything and hopefully he won't reregister before legal can get on the stick Monday morning ....

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

So, that darn Tidester was at it again, huh? :)

Tom

I think it should be very obvious to everyone how much I love this message board and all the folks that post here, but I also like to go to other sites too.

When I invite people to Gill's place (itsajeep.org), I am by no means trying to drag people away from here. Gill's site is non-commercial and in NO WAY competes with Edmunds. I have actually brought people TO Edmunds FROM Gill's... people that never even heard of Edmunds.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings, if there were any.

Tom