Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I can't help you on the mirrors in NC thing, but if you do decide to add mirror movers, be careful removing the torx bolts. If you can, use a manual impact driver to "pop" them free. It may help to take an exacto knife to the paint around them first as well. When you put the mirror movers on over the hinge, use some real hex head bolts. I've made it a practive to never replace a torx bolt unless absolutely necessary. I figure eventually, I'll be rid of them! :)

I waited too long to pack for wheeling and had our power go out and set me back a couple of hours... Running down my checklist by latern was no fun.

-twylie
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,966
    Looks to me like you have to have them on the doors, at least on the driver's side.

19A NCAC 03D .0540 MIRRORS

1. Mirrors shall not be approved if:

(g) Vehicles manufactured, assembled, or first sold after January 1, 1966 are not equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the driver’s side.
    (h) All vehicles must have driver side outside mirror and inside rear view mirror with the exception of a truck. A truck must have both driver and passenger outside mirrors or driver side and rear inside mirror.

DMV Regulations Manual (pdf file)

Hope this helps; usual disclaimers....

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kelleyokelleyo Posts: 182
    Thanks for the invite. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I did not get home from a business trip until late last night. Now Little League baseball all day (2 boys).

Sigh. Maybe some day I can come and play with you guys!

#8711 of 8738 kelleyo - Sat. by twylie May 01, 2003 (5:39 am)
    There is a trailride in Elijay on Sat 5/3 if you're interested in joining us. Nothing too tough; your Jeep would do fine. If you're interested email me and let me know or you can just show up at the WalMart in Elijay around 10:30. One of the guys is coming from Lagrange, so we're getting a bit of a late start. Small group, maybe 5 of us total. All good guys. It will be a fun day.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Well, shoot! Loaded up Thelma Jane, got Ross Allen in there, gassed up the Jeep, bought my ice and snacks, and headed for Turkey Bay. Then, I turned around about 15 miles from home and came back.

Thelma Jane is topless and doorless, and it was just too darned cold driving along at 50 to 60 MPH. Have an hour and fifteen minute drive to Turkey Bay, and I didn't think I wanted to go that far under the conditions. It looked awful cloudy anyway, and I SURE didn't want to get rained on with the temperature being only in the 50's.

Guess Thelma Jane, Ross Allen, and I will just explore some of the local strip mine lands this afternoon, so there will still be some Jeepin' in the agenda today.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    If anyone is looking for ideas for how to mount their hi lift jack, check out my album at Gill's.

I saw posts in other forums where people had mounted their hi lifts horizontally between the upright posts of the roll bars back near the tailgate. I thought that seemed like a great idea, so that's how I mounted mine.

Check out my album on the subject at http://www.itsajeep.org

Just click on photo gallery at the top of the home page, and then click on "tsjay" in the blue letters. There are other ways to get to my pics once you are in the photo gallery, if you don't see those blue letters.

Tom

Hey, it has turned out to be a PERFECT day weatherwise! Should have gone on this AM to TB.

:(

Oh well, that's the way it goes, I guess.

Tom

Didn't mean to ignore ya, guy. WELCOME!

Keep us posted on your search for a Jeep. I don't have any words of wisdom in regards to your question, but I do wish ya good luck.

Tom

Sorry you couldn't make it; we had a good time. I'll make sure you're invited on any future trips we make up in that area. Turned out to be a great day. Just 4 of use went out and I was the only one not lifted. I took a buddy of mine to ride shotgun and he was amazed at what Jeeps would do. With the exception of one obstacle, I made everything on one attempt. However, the one that got me, really got me. I tried the line I thought was good, but I just didn't have enough clearance. Everyone else in the group was lifted anywhere from 2-5". I earned the nickname "noisemaker" or something equally amusing. I tried 4 times to make it up a tough section and could NOT find the right line without hanging up my diff, center skid, or something else. I finally backed down and took a line about 2' to the left and was able to make it by dragging what sounded like everything under my Jeep across the rocky ledge. At one point in this section, I was off camber and uphill enough to start losing air out of my drivers rear tire at the bead. Bang, bang, clang, clang and I was up and over with only moderate drama. My buddy videotaped it from outside the Jeep, so we should have some good footage.

This trail had changed pretty dramatically since I was there last fall. Some previously tough spots were easier, but many modest stretches were far more challenging. The skid plates I've added in the last 6 months paid for themselves in a big way today. I got some good drags and kisses on every single one of them. At the end of the day, it felt pretty good to go everywhere the other "big" Jeeps went.

Others in the group:
    97 TJ - Rockcrawler long arm w/33" ATs
    98 TJ - 4" Full Traction lift w/35" BFG MT's
    00 TJ - budget boost w/31" trXus

-twylie
    With 2 kids in Travel Baseball and the fact that I travel during the week it is very hard to get away (the wifey would kill me). Since my cabin is near your wheeling locale (my place is in Morganton on lake Blue Ridge) I need to come with you guys on a weekend where I am at the cabin alone (happens occasionally)...
    My neighborhood ALTA team stopped inviting me to be on the team since I could never play in the matches...

Some day my kids will be all grown up and then I can play again (bittersweet thought eh?)
    I appreciate the invites. Keep it up and some day the planets may line up in my favor and I will come along!
    always been my second car. Now my lease is up on my Lincoln LS. I have decided to turn it in and drive my TJ as my primary at least through the summer. I think the best new car deals occur around Labor day each year...

What should I get as my new second car?

Recommendations welcome!
    Rubicon? (You SAID suggestions welcome!)

Tom

• kwhitesellkwhitesell Posts: 2
    I am currently a college student in NC - I drive a 91 Honda Crx to keep my monthly expenses down. (ie gas insurance) I have always loved the Jeep Wrangler look especially the Sahara. I am graduating and I don't want the stereotypical SUV look and I am not a 4 door sedan type of guy - The question - how do Saharas fare in the cold climate of Pittsburgh or Detroit as I might be going to grad school in these areas.

Kevin
    Not sure what you mean by your question relating to a Sahara and cold climates, but the Jeep heaters work fine, and Jeeps are good in snow, as long as you take it easy and remember that you are in a short wheel base, high center of gravity vehicle.

Welcome to the board, Kevin.

You will love a Jeep! No other vehicle is even close to a Jeep for "fun."

Tom

P.S. Gas insurance? Man, I know the price of gas is high, but I never heard of anyone insuring their gas before! Probably a good idea at today's prices. :)
  • saharagalsaharagal Posts: 88
    My soft-top Sahara keeps us plenty warm during the Winter months in Atlanta. While the Winters here are much shorter, and a lot milder than Pittsburgh or Detroit, we do have stretches of cold weather. I've never felt like my Sahara's heater was insufficient. The heater keeps us all very warm -- front seat and back.

Maybe you should consider getting a Sahara with the dual-top option, if you're nervous about the cold weather. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about cold weather or snow accumulation. I definitely wouldn't let weather concerns keep you from buying a Jeep. There are plenty of people in colder regions of the coutntry who drive Jeeps Wranglers!

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! You've earned a Sahara!

Laura
  • huck6huck6 Posts: 37
    Why not grab a MINI. That way you can have the off-road capabilities of your Jeep and the on-road enjoyment of an excellent little car. When the weather is bad, you can park your MINI under your Jeep! ;)
  • huck6huck6 Posts: 37
    I'd go for it! I had a Jeep all through grad school and since there was little time for the "social activities" that I had known as an undergraduate, 5 minutes in the Jeep more than made up for it!

Be sure that you can afford a new vehicle and its maintenance/insurance while in school. Maybe go with a late used model?

Good luck and congrats on getting a degree!
  • oregontj03oregontj03 Posts: 7
    I have a few questions about my new Wrangler. Does anyone know if bigger tires, or a suspension lift would void the warranty? I'm thinking about 33's with a 2.5 skyjacker lift. Second, does anyone have a tornado fuel saver? I've heard alot of great things about them, was just wondering how they were for jeeps.
    Thanks,
    OregonTJ03
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,966
    Where, on the infomercial? I think it's snake oil:

The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life

If they're so great, why don't they stick them on at the factory, etc.?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• 2001wrangler2001wrangler Posts: 112
    First off, I don't think a 2" lift will clear 33's. You may want to consider adding spring spacers or going with the 4" lift.

Here is a pic of showing 2" lift with 1.5 spring spacers and 33x10.50's

It really depends on your dealer as to the warranty. I had a 01 sport with a 4" Skyjacker lift and 33's and I had a few warranty issues and the dealer didn't question it at all. I have a 03 sport ordered and when I was placing the order, the dealer said he wanted to see it as soon as I made some mods. Just call your dealer and ask.
    What Kevin (2001wrangler) said. You might physically get the 33s to clear with only 2.5" of lift, but you would most likely not be able to disconnect your front sway bar for wheelin without getting a rub. I assume you are gonna wheel that Jeep? If not, then you would be OK with the set up you have in mind, probably.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Do a little research on how much it costs vehicle manufacturers annually in penalties for high fuel consumption (CAFE regs, guzzler tax etc.) Consider how much it would cost said manufacturers to produce a Tornado or similar device (pennies at most). Finally, do the math.
    :-)
    Following your line of thought on CAFE and vehicle MPG, I've often wondered why more manufactureres don't offer synthetic oil from the factory for that same reason. Without fail, I've gotten anywhere from .75 to 1.5 MPG gains using synthetic fluids on every vehicle I've run Mobil1 or Redline in. Seems if you could get your CAFE even .5 MPG, the cost savings would pay for the syn fluids from the showroom. I can see where the cost might not be as significant (or even negative) on cars that have full maintenance built in to the price, since they'd have to pay for syn on all service visits, but I ran the numbers on my cars and the $ saved in improved mileage offset the higher cost of synthetic oil and that's with my paying retail price for fluids.

There must be somethign I'm missing there.

-twylie
    Jeep Buds, today is Cinco de Mayo, and that means Kevin's (2001Wrangler's) Jeep is being born today!

Yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!

Uh oh, Kev, what about that username???? Don't think that's legal to call yourself 2001wrangler when you are driving a 2003 Wrangler. IRS might think you're evading taxes or something. :)

Congrats, Kev!!!

Tom

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would love a Rubi but would have to trade Pepe'. Not gonna do it (Pepe' is all paid for and I have sunk too much cash into him that I would never get back). I am gonna keep Pepe' until there is nothing but Iron Oxide.

A Mini would be cool cept I am 6'4" about 250..

My thoughts have now run the gambit from Subaru WRX SI, to used Porsche Boxter or Corvette Z06, to another lincoln LS to an Audi S4.

I like the Audi and Subaru since they both drive all 4 wheels :)
    I am gonna drive Pepe' as my main ride for a couple of months (therefore saving up a nice down payment!)and then decide.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I don't know the answer for sure, but I would guess that it's because the numbers don't gell.

Certainly, the idea of factoring a lubricant into the fuel consumption equation is not new. Look at how the recommended viscosity numbers are getting lower and lower.

It's my guess that the cost of dino oil for the initial fill is far less than the cost of synthetic. Bulk buying does a lot to reduce the dollar cost, but it will do nothing to reduce the price differential between the two. Synthetic is just so much more expensive to produce. I'd guess that synthetic is dollars more expensive, rather than pennies, which is a lot when applied to production costs.

Just my two cents.

:-)
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I'm not in the new/used car market but I'm always looking...;) Vehicles I've admired lately include the BMW 330i Performance Package(still too pricey for me:(), Land Rover Discovery, Liberty Renegade, Mitsu EVO, Mustang Mach 1, Nissan Murano, Subaru WRX STI, and the new hot Volvo 300 hp AWD V70 R wagon. Oh yeah, I also love that wacky Neon SRT-4. 5.5s 0-60 and under $20,000. The thing is, I still love my ti and TJ. Shoot, I can stick a chip, upgraded speakers, and ellipsoid headlights in my ti for under $1000. As for the TJ, I can fit Cibie E-Code headlamps, decent speakers/CD changer, a sailcloth top and a rear locker for less than $1500. If I buy something new I'll suffer more than $2500 in depreciation in the first couple of months. That said, if I ever hit the jackpot I'm getting the Mach 1, an M Coupe, an X5 4.6is and a Rubicon. My philosophy is that you can never have too many cars or too much horsepower...:)
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    Unless the consumer demands it or it is necessary to differntiate the vehicle, the mfg. will have no incentive to put it in. This often used to justify govt. intrusion into the marketplace (seat belts, ABS, emissions, etc.). The debate on how efficient this is is fodder for debate.
  • shill3shill3 Posts: 124
    The WRX is a blast, I can only imagine what the SI will be like! It is definately the best bang for your buck if you like curves. The best curves for the vette are in the body work, they seem more like straight away cars.

The Porsche will get you more attention than the Subie, but there is a certain thrill in blasting away unsuspecting boy racers at the light. Yeah Mr. Mustang 5.0, that is the rear of Subaru dissappearing before you!

Call me a kid, but it is pretty neat!
  • xairxair Posts: 13
    My Rubicon hit E status today, still on track for a 5/8/2003 ship date. Can't wait!

Xair
    You've got a good list of ideas and others suggestions. The only new car I've driven lately that impressed me was the G35 Coupe. Less refined than I expected but really well balanced and quick. For the money, it's a great combination of speed and comfort. Room might be an issue given your height. It wasn't a problem for me, but I'm only 6'1". If my wife ever decides to give up her SC400, the G Coupe is the likely replacement for now.

I would think the Boxster will feel super cramped to you unless the top is down. It's a fun car to drive though. I spent a weekend driving a friends Speed Yellow '99 around Richmond and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great fun in the fall.

When my Exploder needs to be put down, I'll proabably go with a sport sedan for my next vehicle. I'll probably look for a couple year old 540i Sport with the extended warranty and drive it until it's out of warranty. I think Bimmers are great fun to drive, but I don't want to pay the maintenance tab.

mac24 - yeah, that's the only answer. I'm sure my thought isn't original. It would be interesting to see the numbers though.

-twylie