Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bmg132bmg132 Posts: 28
    Thanks for that archived link, some real good tips on getting them off should I need to.

The one thing the dealer probably suspects is that I'm not really interested in waiting 6-8 more weeks for another one to arrive...
  • Pete,

I have been away for a few days so I just got to read your post on your Wrangler towing the Penske truck. I admit that I had to read your post three times to make sure I had truly got it.

Man, I would have never guessed it would have been so easy. If a friend had happened by your feat and told me the story 2nd-hand I would not have believed it!

Man - you and your little Jeep rule!

Jim
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    Is it wrong that my Jeep dealer drives a RAV-4?

-Mike
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    None of us thought it would work and didn't even bother getting the camera out. If we weren't blocking traffic we may have got is stuck again just to get it on video tape! When you've got lots of traction on warm dry blacktop, low gear and a 25000# tow strap, that stretchs just enough to get the clutch out, look out(!) that's some pulling power.

-Pete
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    I know this is short notice. I just saw that The History Channel has history of tanks/jeeps tonight. 7:00 to 9:00 PM central time tonight.

Terry
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    This happened as the Rubicon was coming out: I had test driven a Liberty (was thinking of it as a possible replacement for the Tacoma) and then asked if they had any Rubicons on the lot (overkill for me, but I can dream, can't I?). He took me over to a Renegade and proudly announced that he had one. When I said I was asking about the Rubicon, he looked at me very blankly and then said I had the name wrong.

I left quickly (and still own that hated Taco!).
  • Finally found some pics of the new Ravine wheels.

Personally, I like the Canyons better, but maybe these will grow on me.......
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is it wrong that my Jeep dealer drives a RAV-4?

It's at least a serious mistake! :-)

tidester, host
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    Woo-Hoo! I was worried I wouldn't like the Ravine rims, but those look really cool. They seem less concave than the Canyons.

-Mike
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks for the pics of the Ravines. I was really curious as to what they would look like.

Well, like you, at this point I can say that I like the Canyons better, but the Ravines look pretty good too.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Not sure I'm sold on the Ravines, Canyons had a much smoother look to them.

Think there is any chance my dealer will want to swap wheels?
    I'm off the fence, I have to say that the canyons are much nicer looking. I can deal w/the Ravines if I have to, but I'm trying to get my hands on a set of Canyons. They just seem to complement the vehicle all the better.

I have my dealer scouting an '03 to pillage the canyons off of. Bad news is that he thinks switching wheels can have some warranty implications, and is looking into it first. Good news is that he heard rumors a delivery might be coming in today, which (if true) would have my Jeep on it.

Hopefully by the end of the day I'll be able to say that I hugged my Jeep today!
  • I think it's just obscene for a dealer to drive anything but a car he sells. It shows he has no trust in the quality and/or value of the cars on his lot. It's worse than a Coke deliveryman drinking a Pepsi at a client's store during the delivery and while wearing a Coke uniform (and he was fired for that!!!)
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Most Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealers do switch wheels if you request. You may have to pay the difference between the two, if there is one. The key is just finding a dealer that will do it. Last I checked, there was no warranty issue. My mom has done it on several of her previous Chrysler products, and will continue to do it again, on the purchase of her......... Liberty. :-( (Yeah, I don't like it.)

As for the Ravine wheel, I can't say that I like it yet. The Canyons looked better, but is that because that's all we're used to looking at? Kevin, did you find any pics of the wheel from an angle? I can't believe this is coming from a company who designed the Canyon and Rubi wheels, which mate to the Wrangler so well. Maybe it looks better on the Liberty? Who wants me to Photoshop tonight?

Hug your Jeeps for me. :)
    dealer just called me, my wrangler just came in.

he is saying that the dealership no longer switches wheels, radios, etc... because it goes against manufacturer's policy.

he did however offer to do it for a small fee (i have him looking into just how large or small that fee will be).

otherwise, looks like i will at least be test driving it today.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    Congrats on the new Jeep! It's nice to know yet another person has a Jeep! May you have several years of enjoyable service from it!

No switching? Sounds odd, I can't even count the number of times this has been done, even throughout my family. Radios too!

Could the "small fee" be the difference? I know they can't just switch them, you must pay.
    I wonder what the backspacing is for the Ravine wheel? I know the Canyons have 5.5" backspacing.

We have determined that the Ravine is a 15 x 8" wheel, like the Canyons, I believe? That leaves the question of backspacing still open. My guess is that it will be the same, 5.5".

For those not familiar with the term, backspacing is the distance from the mounting plate (the center piece of the wheel with the 5 holes for the lug studs to go through) to the inside edge of the wheel. This determines how much the tires are pulled in toward the frame or pushed out away from the frame when they are mounted. The higher the backspacing, the more the tires are pulled in toward the frame and the less they stick out from the vehicle.

When I had my Canyons, with their 5.5" of backspacing, and was running the BFG 31 x 10.50 All Terrain tires, I did not have much room to spare between the inside of the rear tires and the rear spring perches.

Another potential problem, which it turned out that I didn't have, was rubbing of the inside of the front tires at full turn. I must have been very close to having this problem, although I never found any evidence of a rub.

Moral of the story... if you are going to get new tires, be sure and get them in widths that are compatible with the backspacing of your wheels.

If you are going to get new wheels AND tires, make sure they are compatible with each other and with the vehicle they are intended for.

When I got my AR767 wheels and the 31 x 10.50 Mud Terrains, I went with 4" backspacing on the AR767s. This makes my tires stick out more than they used to, but it gives me plenty of room on the inside. I like the looks of the tires sticking out past the flares too.

Tom

CONGRATULATIONS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Happy for ya, Dude!

Tom

I forget who pointed it out a few days ago but YES, it is soooo cool to see that window sticker have your name on it, even on the faxed copy in hand.

While I was not given techical specs, I was advised that the backspacing appeared to be the same as the Canyons. The wheels do not appear to stick out further or less than before. Which is good, that squatty look is a little tough to deal with.

And finally, it appears that I will be settling for the Ravines afterall. They will not switch me out to Canyons, I would have to buy my own set (get zero credit for the Ravines) and have them swithced. Then have a set of Ravines to sell off...

Maybe down the line, but not today.
  • I would guess they are still 5.5 backspacing in order to get the tires even with the outer edge of the flares.
    Now's your chance to get a real nice trade-in on those Goodyear GSA's, if you would prefer a different type of tire. Maybe not where you live, but around here those brand new GSA's have a killer trade-in allowance, if you want to go to something like 31 x 10.50 BFG AT's or Muds.

I have had both 31 x 10.50 BFG AT's and 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds on Thelma Jane, and I really like the Muds for their performance on the trails and for their looks. Jeeps just plain look "Jeepier" with mud tires on them.

You'll never have a better chance to swap tires than you have now, while those factory tires are brand new.

Maybe you will be happy with the GSA's, especially if you won't be going off road with your Jeep (which would be a terrible fate for your Jeep, by the way :) )

Once again, congrats!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today? (Bet you will be soon!)
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I've seen sets of Canyons for anywhere from $225-400 depending on how quickly the seller wants to get rid of them. Email me if you want some links to BBS that have active for sale forums. Ebay is much more expensive than the BBS. You may be able to buy Canyons and sell yoru Ravines on eBay at a net profit.

My wife loves the look of the Canyons. Aside from AC and half doors, it was the most important thing to her when we ordered the Jeep... OK, honey, twist my arm into getting the D44!

-twylie
    happy with his rock rashed Canyons!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,911
    New buyers and tire kickers, please post your experiences in the Jeep Wrangler: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I'm looking at wheels for my daughter's SE. If I could find a set of Canyon's or the Ravines that would be great.

I even like the Ecco wheels (typical Sport 5 spoke wheels) as long as I can get 7" or 8" wide tires. :)

Anybody wanna make a deal on em?

Our 97 TJ is up in the shop getting the catalytic converter fixed... cheaper than I thought.

-Paul
    Steve:

That's a great idea! I wish there had been a discussion like that when I was shopping for Thelma Jane.

I got the info I needed in the Wrangler discussion, but it would have been nice to have a whole separate discussion on the deals people were getting instead of having to glean that info by reading so many posts in the main group.

Well, I was reading every single post anyway, but it would still have been nice to have posts on the topic of buying all in one place.

Tom

P.S. Since the title is Jeep-specific, shouldn't that discussion be pulled into "Jeep Owners Club?"
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,911
    They are all getting organized in a sub-board over in Smart Shopper, but it probably should be linked to the Owners Club. We'll zap a note along; thanks for the suggestion Tom.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I had noticed that the steering on my Sahara had become a bit sloppy. I could even detect a moderate shimmy over frost heaves and uneven pavement-nothing like the infamous "Death Wobble", but disconcerting all the same. After dropping my son off at his 6:00PM basketball camp I decided to drive by the independent shop that handles most of the service on my Jeep. They had an empty alignment bay and put the TJ on the rack. The problem? After 64000 miles my steering damper was completely shot. It turned out that they they were sending a guy on a parts run anyway so they had him pick up a Monroe damper as well. Thirty minutes and $58 later I was good to go. You gotta love small town service! Better yet, my TJ feels brand new. Dampers are like shocks, they fail gradually and they often have to be pretty bad before you notice it. The improvement was so dramatic that my wife claims she can feel the difference from the passenger seat. In any event, I'm just happy to have my Sahara back to 100%!
    Glad they got ya fixed up, and thanks for the post.

Tom

Well I took possession of my '04 Wrangler Sport last night and have been driving it almost nonstop since.

It turned out exactly as I had hoped (they did try to sneak the dealer sticker on, but promtly removed it). I'm taking it straight to the shore tonight and it should get its first taste of the beach by 7 or 8 PM depending on traffic!

Thanks so much for all you input, advice & pointers the past week or so that I've been in here, its most appreciated.

Hopefully I'll have some pics for you guys Monday!

I hugged me Jeep today.
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Congrats! Have fun out there, don't get your new Jeep too stuck in the sand tonight. Air down your tires if they "dig" too much in the sand.

-Pete