Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    Tom,

Sweet website i love the pics. The picture of your one buddy (Andy I think) stuck on his side with his dog rusty in the back window is hilarious.
    Your tips for newbies are also very good. I can't wait for my GSA's to wear out so i can get some BFG's either the KO's or the Muds.
    What is your inpression of this:
    http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/rockcrawler_frontbumper.shtml

happy trails
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Scott:

Yep, that Warn would be a good bumper. As a matter of fact, if I were to replace my stock bumper today, that's what I would get.

Why wait til your GSA's wear out? Have you gone to any tire shops and asked about trade-in allowance? Forgive me if you have already told me something about it, but if you did, I have forgotten (old people forget a lot).

Did you see my post up the screen a ways where I copied and pasted from my original post about the tire deal I got when I traded in my GSA's?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm pretty clueless when it comes to racks - still thinking about doing something for a ski rack.

What type of top do you have? If you have a hard top and never take it off, I think you would have more options. Same if you have a soft top. But if you have a hard top and take it off, then your options might be more limited.
  • wood_420wood_420 Member Posts: 2
    I have a soft top. With it off its not a problem, I strap them down to the roll bar, but with the top on there isn't many options.
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I have a Congo Cage rack on my TJ. It attaches to the windshield pillars in the front and to brackets you install behind the tail lights in the back. It's very sturdy and is hinged so you can take the soft top up and down without totally removing the rack. It's supposed to support something like 500 lbs. but that seems kind of optimistic to me. If you Google Congo Cage you'll find lots of sources with pictures.

I bought it to carry my hang glider but I've not finished building a front support so I haven't actually used the rack. But it's been on my Jeep now for a few months.

The installation was easy once you got the hex bolts off for the front supports. If you go that route don't underestimate the trouble you can make for yourself by stripping those bolts.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    Tom,
    I called all my local tire dudes after i read your post a while back. they all basicly said the same thing: "Wranglers are the only vehicles that take that tire, most people with wranglers don't replace thier tires in kind, so i can't offer you much" One guy said it would cost me my GSA's With 60 miles on them PLUS $75 per tire to get a set of KO's.

In a word: Rediculous.

Glad you like the bumper. Seems a great price ($264.99) for a great name. I can only afford the front for now. That will do fine though. I may just keep the stock and get a new radio for it. If stock is good enough for you it's good enough for me :).

As always thanks
    happy trails
    SS
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I put 33's on my jeep and could not find any local shops that would give me more than $10 each for 4 with 6500 miles and 1 with 0 miles.

I posted mine to a message board "for sale" section,, and got $225. I was happy enough with that, the young man that bought them was replacing a set of bald tires on this cherokee.

Jeff

but then i thought I'd be nice and deliver the tires,, borrowed a friends Larin Cargo rack,, rated to 500#'s and bent the main shaft with less than 200#'s of tires,, that cost me $60
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Signed up for the Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree in May....I hope some of you attend that post here i would like to meet ya....Jeff
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    My grandfather was in WWII as well and had some interesting stories. I had him tell his stories again on tape for me so i will have them long after he is gone.....

He told me one where he was asked to take a jeep and scout around an area which was supposed to be clear of hostiles. He said they hit a small german mine, not a tank mine, however it flipped the jeep and he ended up in a ditch. A patrol came along, flipped the jeep over, which had some damage but still driveable and drove the jeep back to camp....one tough little truck he says, LOL...
    "Tom,
    I called all my local tire dudes after i read your post a while back. they all basicly said the same thing: "Wranglers are the only vehicles that take that tire, most people with wranglers don't replace thier tires in kind, so i can't offer you much" One guy said it would cost me my GSA's With 60 miles on them PLUS $75 per tire to get a set of KO's.

In a word: Rediculous.

Glad you like the bumper. Seems a great price ($264.99) for a great name. I can only afford the front for now. That will do fine though. I may just keep the stock and get a new radio for it. If stock is good enough for you it's good enough for me :).

As always thanks
    happy trails
    SS"

Scott:

It is not so much a case of the stock bumper being "good enough" as it is a case of my priorities favoring other mods. I will get to the bumpers eventually. :)

If that tire deal for $75 per tire plus your trade-ins included balancing, mounting, and taxes, then it was not a bad deal.

Tom

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Jeff,

Wow, Palo Duro Canyon, I haven't thought of that place in years. When I was a child we lived in Amarillo and would often go to Palo Duro on the weekends for hiking and horseback riding. It hadn't occurred to me that they would have a jeep safari there...
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello Jeepers..
    Bama is here..hopefull I will start posting again. Got some GOOD news.. next week I will be sending the LAST payment on TAZZ!! A full year early.. Then its ALL mine!! Still love that jeep as much as the 1st time I drove him.
    Do need some advice my Turn/signal light is out. I took it out to replace it and the connection was rusted. there is a defect in the plastic around it. I guess water got in there & rusted it all out. You guys think it can be replaced?

Keep jeepin
    BAma
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome back, Bama!

tidester, host
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanks Tidster.. Good to be back!!
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Hi Everybody-

I have been reading this board for months (posting a few questions here and there) while trying to make up my mind on wether to buy a jeep or not. I finally made up my mind to get a jeep and figured out exactly what I wanted - a light khaki unlimited. I got a great deal and it should be here in "37 days" according to the dealer.

I dont know how I am going to wait that long, but somehow I will make it. I thought someone posted their delivery time was actually closer to two weeks. Anyway, thanks to you all for answering many of my questions.

Jeff
    Jeff:

CONGRATULATIONS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I don't know where you live, Jeff, but if you live close enough to Toledo to avoid rail shipment, your waiting time might be a lot less.

I'm happy for ya, Big Guy! Smart decision to get a Jeep!

Keep posting and we'll help ya get through the waiting period.

Tom

P.S. It was me that posted that I got Thelma Jane in three weeks and two days, but the plant took a week down due to slow sales, or esle it would have been two weeks and two days!
    Boy, where the heck ya been? Good to see you posting again. Don't desert us like that any more!!!

Tomster

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Did you get one of those Sahara Rubi Unlimiteds? :)

Congrats on the selection. Enjoy!

Bama, congrats on that... feels great to pay one off doesn't it? :) You gonna modify it once it is paid off? :) heheh

-Paul
    I just installed another mod...only cost me $4.95. Jeep sunglasses holder for the visor. *lol*

After 6 months of contemplating them, I was finally going to order a set of Jeeperman skids yesterday and wouldn't you know it, the whole shops gone to Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. Won't be back until next week...
    Great to hear from you! Hope things down your way are going well, and those restaurants aren't keeping you TOO busy!

Just wait until you get that title - that feeling is even better than sending that last check.

Sorry I can't help you with the turn signal problem - I haven't had anything like that on either one of my Wranglers (don't think the flasher starting to go counts).

Jeff - Way to go! You won't regret getting the Wrangler at all - still the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. If the weather is nice, perhaps I'll open the sunroof this weekend since I'll be in the Sierras. Or maybe not - an open roof isn't a great idea on a ski trip, is it?
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    I guess that depends. When I was in college at UCRiverside, my friend and I would hit the beach in the morning in his convertible, then head up to Big Bear for night skiing, just to say we did it. And of course, this was with the top down. :-)

By the way, hope you all don't mind me hanging out here. My lease on my Subaru is up in less than a year and I'm now starting to look for my next vehicle. I'm not sure what I'll get next and I don't have a Wrangler, but two of the guys I carpool with do. Does that count?

--Dan
    I was hanging out here a couple of years before buying one. :) No problems. :) Enjoy!

-Paul
    I lurked here on and off for years before I finally bought my mine...
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Hopefully I will be ordering my Jeep Unlimited within the next couple of weeks (the reason for waiting is to make sure I survive the next round of layoffs at my company).

The dealership currently has one on the lot with the options I want, however it is black. I would get it instantly, but my current SUV is black, and I wanted to go with a color more.. unique.

I am leaning towards the impact orange (I loved the yellow, but it's not offered anymore). Does anyone own, or has seen, an Impact Orange Jeep??? I have only seen the color in the brochure. I'd love to know what it looks like with it actually on the vehicle. Opinions???

Thanks
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I've been hanging around for a while also. No one has kicked me out yet. Of course someone should kick me in the can for not owning a Wrangler by now.

Rich
    but it is back for 06 from what I've read.

-Paul
    ...........--------
    *kick* | RICH |
    ...........--------

Rich is in the can... and I'm kicking him...
    GET A WRANGLER! :) hehehe j/k

-Paul
  • jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    I have seen Impact Orange on a SWB Rubicon with a grey hard top and it looked great. I dont think the color would look good on any other cars, but it worked on the jeep. Please take that for what its worth - i am color blind so things tend to look different to me than others. It reminded me burnt orange from UT (Texas).
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I would look great tailgating at a UofI football game,,, thats Illini for you people from other I states..

Slap and Big Blue I on the side then you'd really be set!!

Go Illini!!!
    Hey, of course you guys are welcome here! Make yourselves at home. As you have heard from others, there have been folks that have hung around here, even though they had yet to purchase a Wrangler. I was in here almos five years ago for several months asking questions about Wranglers before I ever bought mine.

Rich, where do I remember you from? Grand Prix or Grand Cherokee forum??? Think it was Grand Prix.

Tom

" I would look great tailgating at a UofI football game,,, thats Illini for you people from other I states..

Slap and Big Blue I on the side then you'd really be set!!

Go Illini!!! "

Yeah, Go Illini, unless they are playing Kentucky!

If my Cats don't win all the marbles this year, then I would love to see Illinois go all the way. Was hoping they would go undefeated, but OSU messed that up for them.

Tom

• nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I really deserve that. Everytime you post a pic of a new mod I start itching. I have wrangleritis very bad.

Tom, you remember me from this board, I posted a few times awhile back, but went back into lurking mode. I guess seeing BAMA come out of hiding made me decide to post today. :=)

Rich
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    "Was hoping they would go undefeated, but OSU messed that up for them".

GO BUCKEYES!

I'm originally from Ohio :)

-Dan
    I think they've already "gone." :)

GO CATS!

Tom

• dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    but being from Utah, I have to say "Go Utes!". (Unfortunately we don't have history on our side...)

--Dan
  • sirsmegheadsirsmeghead Member Posts: 1
    Howdy everybody,

I have been reading the boards for a while but I just bought my first Wrangler this week. So I thought now I can post and join in. . . .

Erik
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Carpool guys count. Close enough. Take one of their Wranglers for a drive-top down, loud music, and your dog (or a borrowed dog) in the back. You will be hooked. Go Easy, John
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Red Dwarf not withstanding, that's an identity I wouldn't have wanted!

Anyhow, welcome to the board, though you don't have to own a Jeep to post here.
    I just meant Go Buckeyes, in general :)

As far as the tourney goes, I gotta root for the Big 10, Go Illinois!

-Dan
    Has anyone seen these? I saw one for $30 on a clearance table at sears. Just wondering if it's worth picking up. Is any of the info it provides useful? The price drop is huge, around $100 below retail! Here's a link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATE- NTRY_ID%3A2008128&TID=1544&productId=2008128&langId=-1&catalogId=10101

-Dan
    Erik:

Welcome and CONGRATS on that Wrangler!

New? Used? Model? Options? Color?

Come on and talk dirty to us! Details! Details!

Tell us all about that Jeep.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I got the same one from Sears a couple of months ago (but I paid $19.97) :--p

Unless you use your vehicle for business, or like to keep a check on the wife and kids, it has little more than novelty value.............except if you have a fault that initiates the MIL, when it should record a variety of sensor parameters that were registered at the same time (very useful). I leave it in all the time now.

It's still excellent value at $30 though!
    appreciate the info....Anytime I find something around 75% off, the bargain hound in me kicks in!

-Dan
    I still lurk on the Subaru boards even though I didn't buy the Forester XT, and I still post occasional opinions on the mini-SUV board, even though we didn't buy any of them. Perhaps the next vehicle we'll buy (my hubby's choice) will be that Forester, or something that still hasn't come out yet. So don't hesitate to post even if you are just thinking about buying a Wrangler. Ask questions - we all have our opinions and love to share them.

We had a great time this weekend - I got my chance to cross-country ski. I checked out a ski rack that was on another Wrangler - it was a tow hitch mounted rack and looked like the most obvious solution to the top problem. It didn't quite warm up enough to put the top down, but there's still time before it gets too hot.

And now I'm paying the price for not finding my suntan lotion before going up there. Is my face ever red!
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I have a 2004 Wrangler X that has developed a problem. When I apply the breaks at speeds over 50 mph the front end shakes. Not violently but it seems to be getting worse.

Could it be the brake rotor warping issue? I just made an appointment at the dealer who told me the warranty on brakes only lasts through 12,000 miles. I have about 12,500...:-(

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If it's really out of warranty I have a mechanic I trust and I'd rather take it there than to a dealer I have no experience with.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    that sounds like it would be some kind of rotor warp issue to me. Had the same symptoms on my Grand when I still had it. I don't know if there is a TSB for the Wranglers, but there was for the WJ's.

Jeep revised the design of the calipers for the WJ. If you talk to them nicely, expressing how it just started happening and are really concerned about it, they might cover it for you. Talk to the Service Manager about it. I had issues with my sedan and within 500 miles of the expiration, my window regulators went out. They knew it was problematic, so they took care of me quite well.

Be polite, courteous, and professional, and you may have them help you (though the calipers themselves should be part of the 3/36 warranty). The rotors and pads wouldn't be covered I don't think, but you can get aftermarket ones that are quite good quite easily and do THAT part yourself.

-Paul
  • peachpeach Member Posts: 2
    i have a 97 wrangler lifted and i cant keep it on the road wonders all over does anyone have any suggestions thanx peach
    your steering mechanisms are loose. Did everything get aligned and tightened up properly?

-Paul
    If the shimmy happens when you are breaking, it's probably the brakes/rotors. I had a problem with the old Taco where it started doing that. The rotors hadn't actually warped but the pads had left something on the rotors. They could have been turned (is that the right term where they resurface the rotors?) but we'd already gotten upgraded rotors, so changed them anyway.

If the shimmy happens when you are not braking, it's probably the tires. I've had problems with cupping on both my Wranglers.

peach - I can't help you but one of our real mechanics (mac?) will probably be able to give you some ideas.