Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• richypeerichypee Member Posts: 7
    I have a 97 4.0L Sahara. It started losing its thrust with a kind of chucky noise while on the highway. My mechanics thought it was the Distributor Cap and Rotor. The cap was wet and after installing a new one and a rotor, the problem persists. Please help with any ideas before I go to another mechanic. The Check Engine Light is on too. It is as if a part of the Engine is not working or is struggling to work. Please help
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    you replaced the plugs and wires? Where have you been buying gas? Did you drive through water or submerge anything? Have you hit your gas tank on anything recently? Where is the chunky noise coming from?

More specifics would help some...

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "i have a 97 wrangler lifted and i cant keep it on the road wonders all over does anyone have any suggestions thanx peach"

How much lift?

What kind of lift (body or suspension)?

Have you had the suspension aligned yet?
    The Malfunction Indicator Light, or MIL, is the key. It indicates that the Powertrain Control Module, or PCM, is holding a fault code. Reading the code, or having the code read, will give an indication as to what the problem is.
    Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Yes they inspected all the plugs and only one plug needed to be changed. Fact is I did tune up just over a month ago. Cannot tell specifically where it is coming from. The chucky noise (brrrrrrrr) is from the engine alright but sometimes feels briefly like it emanates from the front wheels. It shakes the gears (Manual when it is running. The effect most of all is that, there is little power in that V6 which outruns Sports cars after the green at traffic lights. They did not check the fuel injuection system though. The last time I bought gas was in New York BP but I usually buy Gas from Hess in MA and for almost two years now nothing of this sort has happened to me and I did not hit my gas tank on anything recently or submerge in water. The problem started after a high speed on the I 95 in Conneticut Easter Sunday at 3 am. Thanks
    Mac, I agree with your assertion about the MIL code being the key but I have experienced that before and went through a costly tune up not long after buying the Jeep only to find out it was something simple as a blown fuse. Actually the fuse kept blowing because of some faulty wiring and it did not cost much or time or effort to fix while it cost me 250 for complete tune up
  • peachpeach Member Posts: 2
    i got a 3 inch susp. and 2 inch blocks in springs i lined it up it got better but after a little while it got bad again and even the wheel moved out of align to think something is still lose peach
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    You don't have to pay for a tune up just to get the codes checked. Autozone does it for free.

If you know which code(s) it is throwing, then it should lead to a proper diagnosis, or at least eliminate a lot of things.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I agree, something is loose!

You will also need to correct front and rear track bar setting, probably with adjustable ones. The toe-in will need correction and the steering wheel aligned. None of this is something you can do without an understanding of how the various steering and suspension components interact with each other. Otherwise, have a shop do it..........much cheaper than running off the road.

What size tires are you running with that much lift?
    Tom, Mac and Paul, and all good people who helped about my question on my TJ losing thrust and power, I went for a code check as advised by Tom. It indicated that my cylinder no. 6 misfired. Now I went to Firestone and even though they were about to close for the day, they frightened me, saying, it could mean a lot of things and I had to drop it off. Now as I said already, they checked all the plugs and changed one of them. They also changed the distributor cap becasue it was wet, and the rotors. I did tuning just over a month ago. SO my question is, if a cylinder misfires, how bad is it?..
    Yes, it could be many things, but now it's now isolated to one cylinder.

For the cylinder to fire properly it needs:

Fuel, air, ignition, compression. Those four and nothing else. The fuel and air needs to be the right mix, the ignition needs to occur at the right time, and the compression needs to be close to specification. Hopefully, they will be checking all of the above.

How is water getting on the cap? Is there a leaking hose spraying on it? What was the 'tuning' you did a month ago?
    Mac, the tuning was full tuning. Why I say that is becasue I asked them to do the full tune up. The check engines lights came on and they said I needed tune up. I agreed becasue it was about a year since I did Tune Up and it was the same problem that made me do my first tune up. I asked for the full service. You know how they offer difrent kinds etc? I asked for the full and paid good money for it. The funny thing was that when I took it to the mechanics I said it could be the cylinders or something cos they have these pictues all over the office explaning how the engine works etc. I said it could be that and in one of my initial postings here I said "IT WAS AS IF A PART OF THE ENGINE WAS NOT WORKING" I know little about engines but I suspected it could be that. How long does it normally take to check all these. My jeep is almost in sync with my life. That is why I do not hesitate to spend money when any problem arises. I spent 18 hundred on the rear ends and differentials just last December after I totalled them because I used different tires for a short period and I do not want to go through same kind of stuff again.
    Tuning is a very fuzzy term relating to the changing of parts. Could be anything from changing the plugs and air filter on up. The only true 'tuning' of an engine is done on a vehicle with points and a carb.........not many of those about these days!

It shouldn't take more than an hour to check the compression (though a better shop will do a leakdown test), and do an injector and ignition check on that cylinder.

At least it's not connected to the rear axle! :--)

How did you manage to run different sized tires on each side...........was it an undersized spare? Sounds like a lot of money to replace the spider gears. Did they break up and destroy the whole diff?
    Mac, I think I will print out what you wrote and take it to the mechaincs. Long story that one about the different tires. I had a puncture and was stranded at my job I fixed teh spare tire not knowing it was not the correct size. I realised it when the jeep was running funny. Then it snowed that day. It was in Dcember. The first snow I think. Everybody drvign a car wen to buy new tires and so I could not get the correct tires for the jeep till after three days. I had to work and I drove it that way until I changed the tires. I drove to North Carolina and back from Massachusetts. The next day, KAPUT. And I had to spend that much and all. The Spider gears broke up, yes, and destroyed the whole rear diff. They showed it to me and "congratulated me" on a "job well done" ha! WIll go leave the ride tomorrow then. Any ideas how much am gonna be spending?
    A lot of people only purchase four new tires when going up in size, thinking that they can use the original spare in an emergency. Your experience is a good examnple of why that isn't a good idea!

I've no idea what it'll cost to fix as I don't know what's wrong with it. A loose hose spraying water on the cap could be fixed with the turn of a screwdriver, but a burnt valve or a worn camshaft lobe giving you poor compression would cost hundreds of dollars to repair. However, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two in labor to determine where the problem lies.
    I STRONGLY advise you to get hooked up with a mechanic that you can trust. Get a good, long term relationship established with a reputable shop. You may pay a little more for the items that get fixed, but you won't be paying for unnecessary repairs, and one unnecessary repair could cost you MUCH more than a few extra bucks on the truly needed repairs.

You seem to be very dedicated to keeping your vehicle in good running condition, but you, by your own admission, know very little about mechanical stuff. You are a prime candidate for being ripped off at dealership service departments or other auto repair shops.

How many miles on your Jeep? If high mileage, then have the catalytic converter checked. That will sap the power out of an engine BIG TIME. That would not cause just one cylinder to misfire, like the code says, but you could have more than one thing going on.

Tomster

You mentioned your first distributor had water and this one had water too. Do you live in a high humidity area or been getting lots of rain?

You may want to consider replacing the distributor again with a different brand and doing some waterproofing with silicon around it (and maybe around the tips that lead to the plugs). Condensation in that area is bad for engine performance. :)

-Paul
  • schafuddschafudd Member Posts: 29
    ANYONE WHO HAS A NEW WRANGLER CALL YOUR DEALER.
    THERE IS A FACTORY RECALL/INSPECTION.

POSSIBLE CRANKSHAFT ISSUES!!!!!

THEY NEED TO INSPECT YOUR VEHICLE AND MAKE SURE OF A COUPLE OF DIMENSIONS, IF THEY ARE OFF THEY NEED TO FIX IT.

I HAVE TO TAKE MINE IN TOMORROW MORNING.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please turn off your caps lock. People tend to ignore postings with all caps.

tidester, host
    to be seen as an urgent message, and that's why it's all caps. He doesn't usually post that way.

Right, Scott?

Tomster

I hope it turns out that your Jeep is OK.

Same to all of my other buds in here.

Let us know how it turns out.

Probably just one bad batch of crank shafts, so maybe not too many Jeeps are effected.

Tom

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I just got a call from the dealership where I took my Wrangler to this morning to check the brakes. They told me that both rotors were bad and they replaced them under warrantee. The best part is that I'm actually about 500 miles over warrantee!

Is it ok for me to post the name of the dealership here? If I write to say how well I was treated, who should get that letter so the service department gets the most out of it? Should I write to the dealership or to DC directly?

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    Is it ok for me to post the name of the dealership here?

Go right ahead! Just don't provide contact information (names of salespeople, phone numbers, etc.)

tidester, host
    Adams Jeep took good care of me during my one and only experience with them. Typically I'm the kind of person who avoids having work done at a dealership but they've convinced me to keep them on my list.

In fact, if they had a red Wrangler in stock when I was shopping I probably would have bought it there.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
    TOLD ya it would work out if you went about it the right way. Service advisors usually have a little bit of wiggle room around the warranty mileage, depending the issue at hand. I know my Grand had issues with the rotors, but I never did anything about it. I figured I'd do the calipers myself if it got that bad (we have since traded it in for another ride).

Congrats on getting it taken care of though. For future reference and issues, you may want a Hayne's and a Factory Service Manual. A LOT of stuff on the Jeep can be done yourself with patience and taking your time. Save lots of money just in labor. AND you learn more about your mechanicals.

As for the letter, I'd write one to the GM and make sure you send a copy for the service manager as well.

-Paul
    Thanks Paul! You were right. Walking in and demanding things is not my style and usually only makes enemies anyway.

I have long term plans to get the FSM and learn to work on lots of things myself. Partly to save money but mostly because I just enjoy working on the Jeep. It's been fun to do the few things I have done and I've got some experienced friends lined up to help me with some of the things I haven't done yet. Like replacing my stock rotors with slotted rotors someday.

BTW, I just switched over to Mobile1 this past weekend. Maybe it's all in my head, but I think the engine is running more smoothly.

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • pittpapittpa Member Posts: 7
    Someone cut the plastic driver's window on my 97' Wrangler soft top.

Can this be repaired? What are my options?

I called my dealer and he said I need a whole new upper door - $367.00!! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Just wanted it to be noticed.

Next time I want a post to stick out for people who are just scrolling through I'll make it look like every other post.

Happy trails
    you can get replacement door soft tops out of any catalog cheaper than that.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002047/c- -10108/Nty-1/p-2002047/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10108/tf-Browse/sct-body/s-10101/th-Stor- eCatalogDisplay/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup/ss-10108?Ntt=doors

can probobly find even cheaper than that.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I had a similar problem with a truck I had and it turned out to be a small crack in the head gasket that was spraying a fine mist of coolant into the cylinder. It wasn't enough that I ever noticed unusual coolant loss. This is not an expensive parts repair if it turns out to be this, but the labor charges might add up. Tom, Mac and Paul are right when they say there are all kinds of possibilities.
    I think Tidester was making the point that people scrolling through will skip all caps posts, not recommending that you make it look like any other.

There several options open to you, how about this:

Important Recall Notice
    Here it is in normal type blah, blah, blah, blah.

*****IMPORTANT*****
    Recall Notice
    Here it is in normal type blah, blah, blah, blah.

Lots more options available too.
    Not to digress, but a posting with a few well placed caps or bold type will stand out in a more appealing way than a posting with all caps. I agree with mac24.

Carry on!

tidester, host
  • scott919scott919 Member Posts: 17
    What are the problems with the bad crankshafts?
    whaaaaaa I hate you all :p

The issue has something to do with placement. They have to measure something. If the measurement comes out wrong they have to switch it out. I know it's cryptic but that's all the dude told me on the phone.

So I'll be more than a little heated if they need to teardown my engine when it has less then 1300 miles on it. Recall or not that sucks.
    I just got off the phone with the dealer.

Now they are saying it has to do with Camshafts that were machined in a certain date range. They were machined wrong so if your cam was produced during that time they need to swap it out.

Am I right to be worried about them opening my engine already?

happy trails
  • stavrossstavross Member Posts: 6
    Hey i dont get on the net much(work long hours),but my 05 wrangler has had a new short motor (spun a big end after 1750 kms )and as my girlfriend says,should the motor sound like that.Maybe the Australian jeeps are not the same but it sounds like there problem to me.The motor has done another 1200 kms and seems to be going ok.Hope i have some good things to say soon,and the jeep makes me happy.At the moment still not happy!
    I wouldn't worry too much about them opening it up. They should know what they are doing and the parts come apart easily if you know what you are doing. :)

I'd be more concerned if they DIDN'T take it apart and fix it if it needed it!

-Paul
    That's not good to hear.

I hope all goes well with your new powerplant. I hope i don't run into this BS. I'm gunna burn an ulcer by the time the dealer calls me.

Somewhat happy trails
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Since almost ready to buy a new Jeep, every tire dealer in CO that I have talked to about tires says the 31X10.5 will fit with no problem or rubbing..may depend on the actual tire make, though. Talked to other jeep owners and no one with the bigger tires has had a problem.
    Just have to ask this question even though it's not a popular one in my life, either. What are new Rubicon owners getting in gas mileage (stock) on the open road and off road. Same question for those with an Unlimited? With gas at $2.34 where I live and a 7 hour drive to Utah, it somehow became a little more important than it used to be. Looking at buying one or the other soon. Need some truthful answers, especially you CO guys. I have a good friend with a new Rubicon getting 12 in town with manual. Would love to hear some actual figures from those with new Jeeps, Rubicons and Unlimiteds. Off road we know mileage will suck, but highway and dirt road mileage is becoming more important in today's world. Thanks for the help (and truth)!
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    This is an interesting one. I rarely look at gas prices. I go to the same gas station and fill up once a week. I dunno, I spend about 30 bucks a tank with 87 oct.

Gas mileage is poor in these vehicles. The motor is old and inefficient and there are no areodynamics. Running with the top off and doors off makes things even worse.

But man are they fun!
    Thaks guys, especially Paul and Mac for all your advice about my Wrangler Sahara 97 4.0L Now repairs have been made and the total cost of repairs since this thing started is $385 . This was the problem, the jeep suddenly lost its thrust and greatly reduced its power while I was on the highway. Then followed a chucky kind of noise. In effect, the V6 was running like a 1.0L Kia Pride. I had done Tune Up just over a month ago.

A code read revealed that cylinder 6 misfired. My regular mechanics thought it was the distributor cap which was wet. So they changed it, and changed the rotor as well as one spark plug. Still problem not solved. The mechanic decided to just empty my wallet by 50 bucks for the three hours wait.

I took the Jeep to the dealers and this is their report after reducing my wallet's contents by a total of $335 "INSPECTED AND FOUND EXCESSIVE CARBON BUILD UP IN INTAKE THROTTLE BODY, PERFORMED COMBUSTION CLEANING AS NEEDED, ALSO FOUND TO HAVE A BAD CYLINDER #5 INJECTOR, REMOVED AND REPLACED INJECTOR AS NEEDED. OKAY AT THIS TIME. ..PARTS: ORING KIT FUEL I $10.70, INJECTOR-FUEL $109.00, LABOR $210

WHat do you think guys?

Well the Jeep is firing after some initial jerks. Hope the jerks don't come back but at least am still outrunning those automatic sports cars at the traffic lights because mine is standard and I have control over the speed
    ".......31X10.5 will fit with no problem or rubbing..may depend on the actual tire make, though........"

If there is any rubbing it will be at full lock, and it's easily eliminated by placing washers behind the steering stops..........if that was your implied question?
    So much depends on your driving technique, road and traffic conditions, elevation, tire type and pressure, and most important of all any peculiarities in your particular vehicle. Rubicon A might get 12mpg, next off the production line Rubicon B might get 18mpg. Because I get great mileage doesn't mean you will and vice versa.

In no way is this meant to be a flip reply, but if fuel consumption is going to be a critical factor in your purchase, don't buy a Wrangler. Buy one because you like the looks, because it's great off road, because you'd just love one............but not because the difference of a few mpg is going to spoil your enjoyment.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I’m so bent right now. Moments ago I was tooling around in my Jeep when I passed another guy, driving the same silver Sport I drive, both of us with the tops down. Identical twins! So I gave the guy the knowing Jeep wave. He stared at me like I was an idiot.

I recall it happening once before. I was cruising Pacific Coast Highway in a white convertible Mustang. At a stop light, I looked next to me to see the same year Mustang, also white, also with the top down. And, get this, two more behind us. Four of the same car, same color, all topless, forming a quad on PCH. Did anyone else notice? No. Only me. I was the only one getting a kick out of it.

Stupid L.A. drivers.

-Mike
    Glad to hear it seems to be solved. Sounds like the dealer nailed it, though paying the bill always hurts, especially the labor, when with 20/20 hindsight you say to yourself "I could have done that!".
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    i was getting 18 HWY before new tires,, now maybe 13 - 14

2004 unlimited, auto
    Don't let it get to you............those guys can't help being out of sync!

(It's worse for me. When I'm not driving the Jeep I never get another H1 to wave to!)
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanx for the welcome back..
    I will try to post more often.
    I posted that i sent off the last payment last week. This week I got a 2005 jeep catalog. Those guys just wanna tease me dont they.
    Next week taking off hard top. getting the soft top back out. Great weather in Bama deffinatly JEEP weather.

Keep Jeepin
    Bama
    Was not a flip reply and fully understood. Never bought a car for gas mileage and certainly wouldn't buy a Jeep with that in mind. Just curious what people are getting..I have heard so many different stories on the same car..way beyond driving technique. I get great gas mileage out of all my vehicles (Tahoes, Suburbans, Grand Cherokees), much better than other folks I here complaining. I will probably trailer it to Utah, anyway. But I will certainly need extra gas cans on the back where I go since there is no way 19 gallons will get me there and back to camp.