Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    General rule of thumb..................4cyl owners sometimes wish they'd bought the 6cyl, but 6cyl owners have never been heard to wish they'd bought the 4cyl.

The 4cly models are cheaper new and less popular, which is why you've found them to be the "best" deals.

Yes, the 6 does have a near bulletproof reputation, but the 4 is also generally reliable and long lived. Regular maintenance is obviously a requirement for both engines.
  • Options
    Same answer as before I'm afraid. The change to hardtops was made in '03.

mac24, "Jeep Wrangler" #15765, 5 Feb 2005 5:29 pm

and

keats, "Jeep Wrangler" #15769, 6 Feb 2005 6:38 pm
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    but 6cyl owners have never been heard to wish they'd bought the 4cyl.

Yes, but a $4 per gallon price for gasoline hasn't been within earshot before either! ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    "Yes, but a $4 per gallon price for gasoline hasn't been within earshot before either!"

That's true Tidester, but there's really very little between the two and never has been...........maybe 1-2mpg! It's generally the difference in initial purchase the SE buyers find attractive.
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I suppose it's a matter of semantics, but while the 4 cylinder SEs are indeed cheaper, I wouldn't consider them the best "deals." I bought a Sport because, for what I wanted, its package provided the best "value." But everyone has different needs. And sometimes the bottom line does have to be the deciding factor.

-Mike
  • Options
    oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I ordered my Sport from the dealer.

Still enjoying it. Still running great. Am able to deal with the MPG since I don't drive mine like Mtngal. :D

Hope to keep this puppy for another decade or so. After that I might be getting to old and stiff to get up in it.

Still a happy camper.
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    oceantoad - glad you are still enjoying your Sport! Has it really been 3 years already? It doesn't seem possible that my Sport is now 7 years old, and still going strong. I'm about to do a trash run - the hard top is much easier for such things. With gas climbing up over $2.45 per gallon, I don't think I'm going to be doing as much fun driving this summer. And that's too bad, since I now have a soft top that I really want to enjoy!
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Women driving Jeeps almost always wave in Conn and Mass. I just wave,(a small Kool wave) but never smile. Makes it more casual and women usually wave back or wave first. I just bought tinted windows for my soft top. Dealer wanted $250.00 but I lucked out and got a used set (in excellent condition) for $175.00 out of the paper. Go Easy and enjoy Spring everone. Its a short season so get out there as much as possible. John
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591

Payton Nicole, my grand daughter.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Adorable, Tom. She's a cutie. I remember when my daughter had one of those 2 seater white and pink Barbie Jeeps. She loved it. By the time she outgrew it she already had about five of the remote control Jeeps for her Barbies.

Just got in from taking the hard top off and putting on the soft top. The hard top cover I bought fits perfectly and was definitely worth the money. It totally encloses the top.

Next up is to finally place my order for the Jeeperman Trail Skids...
  • Options
    lynseylynsey Member Posts: 3
    Jeep owners in Maine and New Hampshair have the wave as well. I have owned my jeep for a month now and very few people don't wave. :)
  • Options
    Jeep owners in Maine and New Hampshair have the wave as well.

People in Maine and New Hampha wave at everyone! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Greetings Tidester. Is it OK to mention a Dealers site who specializes in rebuilt and used Jeeps. I am not connected to them in any way but they have a unique Jeep on their site. Actually its a site most folks know about but I just wanted to point out something interesting. Go Easy, John
  • Options
    usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Hey all,

I just ordered a '05 Wrangler Sport 2 weeks ago. The quoted lead time was 6-8 weeks (barf). I was just wondering if anyone has an idea if that is a correct estimation for the time frame.

I am really amped to get this one. I ordered every option for the Sport model except the engine block heater. I didn't mess with the stereo since the stock single CD is fine with me.

Semper Fi,

Mike

PS - This will be my second Wrangler. My first was a 2000 Sahara that I foolishly leased and didn't opt to buy it out. I currently am driving a '98 GC Limited. Before the Sahara I was driving a '95 Cherokee Sport. Out of all these, the Wrangler was the best time I had.
  • Options
    You may provide the name of a dealership or business but no contact information (name of salesperson, phone numbers, email etc.).

tidester, host
  • Options
    Welcome to both of you, Lynsey and Mike. Congratulations to both of you on your new Jeeps, although one is yet to be delivered.

I don't know where you live, Mike, but the rail shipment will probably take as long as the process of building your Jeep from the time of order receipt to final inspection. I was fortunate enough to avoid rail shipment, since I live only about an eight hour drive from Toledo.

Stick around here and we will help you make it through the waiting period.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today? :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Tom. I live in SE Pennsylvania so delivery shouldn't take too long.
    Is a 6-8 week ETA realistic? I figured that this late in the model year wait times would be shorter than in the beginning.

Thanks again.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • Options
    I think they are definitely hedging their bets, Mike. No way it should take that long.

If I had to bet, I would bet on two weeks to get it built and ten days for shipping, so 3.5 weeks to possibly 4 weeks.

Do you know how to track your order and then your shipment?

To track progress of the build, you have to call a DC 800 number, but first you need to get you VON (vehicle order number) from your dealer. Your first call to DC should get you your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number, of course). They may have set up a way to track via Internet, but when I was waiting for my Thelma Jane, they didn't have such a thing.

Once shipped, you can track the rail shipment. I don't remember enough about it to tell you how to do it, but you should be able to figure it out.

Factory orders are COOL! Thelma Jane is the first vehicle I have ever ordered out of all the new vehicles I have bought. The wait is worth it! You get EXACTLY what you want, and that puppy is YOURS from Day One of its existence. Be careful to preserve your window sticker. It will say something like "This vehicle specially built for Mike _______." For vehicles not ordered by an individual, they will just put the dealership's name in the blank.

Tom

• Options
    christofercougchristofercoug Member Posts: 2
    I have had both a 4 cyl and a 6. I would say, hands down, spend the money to get the larger engine. Although, I think that I noticed the difference a lot more than others might, because i live in Colorado, where the altitude is pretty high. Out here, the 4 cyl was embarassing and frustrating...I would NOT recommend a 4 cyl ever, but especially if you plan on using it in the mountains. I drive my 6 cyl up to 10,000 ft. every weekend. It loses a little power near the top, but performs surprisingly well considering how high (in elevation) we are...
    Chris
  • Options
    I can't imagine a 4 cyl. There are times I wish for an 8!
  • Options
    jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    I just stopped by the dealer today to discuss my trade. Anyway, I ordered my unlimited on 3/24 and they told me 4 to 6 weeks. Today they gave me a piece of paper that had a estimated ship date of 4/13. The sales guy said they usually beat that date and shipping only takes three days, so they should come in right around the 4 week mark.

I have the VIN & VON and I tried to call DCX, but they were closed for the night. If anybody does know how to track this online, please let me know.

thanks

Jeff
  • Options
    zmeyer16zmeyer16 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone..I'm not sure if im asking this in the right place because I am new on here but oh well. I am looking to buy the rubicon budget boost 2" lift. I was wondering what the max size tire I can put on my jeep. Also, are there any other lifts out there similar to the price, maybe a little higher, thats gives a little more lift then the budget boost. I have a 97 wrangler TJ. Thanks a lot

Zach
  • Options
    erykeryk Member Posts: 6
    i am rebuilding my jeep its a yj and i wont it to be really big any ideas
  • Options
    erykeryk Member Posts: 6
    does anyone have a 92 to 95 roll bar for sale
  • Options
    iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    AMEN! But, since I live in the mountains of CO and have had both 6 and 8 cylinder vehicles, there is no doubt "more power" is better and actually more fuel efficient. It really depends on your own personal needs, but I have always found having that extra power (whether you use it or not) comes in mighty handy in a lot of situations.
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hey Tom,
    That is agreat pic of your grand-daughter with her 1st Jeep, My Caitlin still loves her Barbie Jeep. When we are driving around she can spot them faster than I can.
    She has told me she wants a Jeep when she starts driving, which is only 9 years away.
    Took Hard-top & doors off on Sunday, Great weather here in Bama, but these gas prices have gotta stop. whew over 30 bucks to fill a tank up. WHEW!
    Called Chrysler, they recieved my last payment, now waiting on that title then TAZZ is all mine. We have BOTH of our vehicles paid off!! :D:D:D
    Now another 11 years house will be paid for.

KEEP JEEPIN & ROLL TIDE
    Bama
    :) :shades:
  • Options
    "i am rebuilding my jeep its a yj and i wont it to be really big any ideas "

I don't think you could be more vague if you tried!

More details please, like what do you want to achieve, what's your budget, off-road or street, etc., etc.?

Oh, regarding the roll bar, this isn't a trading forum (as I expect one of our hosts will tell you soon!). Try eBay for a reasonable chance of finding one.

In fact it took less than 30 seconds to find you one. Try this:
    Roll Bar on eBay
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That is a great pic of your grand-daughter with her 1st Jeep,

Yeah, but she ain't waving!

Congrats on the paid for rigs Tazz - I'm visiting family down South but only got to Georgia for BBQ. Maybe 'bama next time.

The Chick Flick tonight on TV is Coal Miner's Daughter - lots of Jeep scenes in that movie.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Congrats on paying off Tazz! Must feel real good, huh?

Nice to see the old Bama Boy posting again.

Tom

• Options
    Well, see, there wasn't another Jeep in sight, so she had no reason to wave. She knows she is only supposed to wave at other Jeeps. :D

Tomster

• Options
    Chris:

Welcome to the group. Make yourself at home.

I'm with ya on the four banger, and I don't live in the mountains (unfortunately). They are just fine on the trails, but on the highway, they simply don't have enough power to suit me, especially on long hills. I have test driven some and have driven some who belong to various friends. I'm not knocking those who own four bangers, cause they are still Jeeps. I would MUCH rather have a four banger than no Jeep at all. That's a no brainer.

Where in CO do you live? I LOVE CO! What a beautiful state!!!

Tom

• Options
    Zach:

You are smart to stay at two inches of lift or less, because you will most likely avoid driveline angle problems that way. Above two inches of lift, you are almost certain to need to correct the driveline angle by lowering the back end of the transfer case, or the VERY expensive slip yoke eliminator/cv driveshalf combination.

The U-joint connecting the transfer case slip yoke shaft (not sure if that would be the right term) to the drive shaft (propeller shaft they call them now, I guess) will only work within a certain range of angles. When you do a suspension lift, you are raising everything but the axles, so the transfer case gets higher in relation to the differential, thereby increasing the angle that the U-joint must work in.

You can get vibrations if you don't make some kind of correction to this angle. Most often, people simply lower the rear end of the transfer case. There are kits for this purpose, which are simply spacers that go between the transfer case skid and the frame.

The reason I tell you all of this is because you said you might want to go a little higher than two inches. That's fine, as long as you know that other things will have to be done to do it right.

Another thing about lifts over two inches is the almost certain need to re-center your axles with trac bar relocation or adjustable trac bars. The trac bar attaches to the axle somewhere near the middle on one end, and it attaches to the frame on the other end. This is what keeps the axle centered. Since the frame is raised higher in relation to the axle, the axle is pulled toward the side of the Jeep where the trac bar is attached to the frame. Makes sense if you think about it.

A two inch lift and a one inch body lift (almost anyone with some Jeepin' experience would say not to go over one inch on a body lift) will allow you to run 33" tires, but you might get a little rubbing on the flares with the sway bar disconnected for wheelin'.

Don't rush into anything. You were wise to post and ask opinions. Check things out before you do anything. You can sink LOTS of money into your Jeep and still not be happy, if you aren't careful.

Are you going to off road that Jeep, or is the lift/bigger tire combo just for looks? No, there's not a thing wrong with doing it just for looks, but it would make a difference as far as what would work and what wouldn't for tire size if you plan to disconnect your front sway bar for better articulation on the trails .

Feel free to ask more questions. Contact me via email (my email is public in my profile).

Tom

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Listen to Tom, he knows what he's talking about! I've been researching lifts since I got my 97 SE 2 years ago.

My criteria are:
    1. Keep it reasonable!! My wife is 5'2" and I want her to be able to climb in easily still.
    2. I don't want driveline vibes, like Tom mentioned.
    3. With a D35 axle in the back, I didn't want too much rolling mass for tires, so I am limiting myself to 32's max (also my 4cyl wouldn't do well with >33's on the highway).
    4. Ride as good as (or better than) stock.

I considered the budget boost, but didn't want spacers on my long-term suspension. I also have my front springs sagging a bit from being 8 years old. I've also added aftermarket bumpers, a Kilby gas skid, and soon a winch. That weight impacts ride quality on the stock suspension. A BB" would be higher, yes, but the spring rate would be the same, and would ride harsh with my extra stuff.

OME offers springs and shocks to give a good ride, and I've heard this from 98% of the people that know of and/or use OME. OME kits from places like DPGOffroad.com will sell the additional parts you need to keep your axles lined up and centered under your rig. Other lifts like the BB, may cause your axles to shift a bit to the passenger side and you'll need extra parts like a trackbar relocation bracket or adjustable trackbars to get them lined up. Some run with it off center like that, but I want my stuff lined up. :)

The budget boost alone will allow you to run 32's with no problem. With a 1" body lift, which takes the tub off the frame by 1" will allow you run 33's and you will have no problem with rubbing the tires while flexing offroad.

Backspacing of your wheels plays a role too. My stock Canyon wheels (and all stock wheels I think) have 5.5" of backspacing (Tom post your pic! :)). The smaller the backspacing number, the more the tires/wheels will stick out from the body. This will give you a wider stance and it will change when/how/if you will rub any suspension parts like the control arms or spring perches (mounts).

Hope this helps some. Feel free to ask away!

-Paul
  • Options
  • Options
    Tom,

Thanks for the info! I am really amped for the Jeep. I now remember how much I loved my 2000 Sahara. Now my '05 will be built with my name on it! Too cool! Too many exclamation marks....

I'll see if I can get a VON from my dealer. I'll post as soon as I find something out.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    and ordered my OME kit from DPG Offroad! I went with heavy duty springs in front and the TJ Unlimited heavy duty springs (which are a bit firmer than the TJ SWB springs). This will help with gear in the back and Dirk said it is firmer, but still not harsh at all.

There is a backorder from DPG on it, so it will be a couple of weeks or so before it ships, but no biggie!

CAN'T WAIT!

-Paul
  • Options
    Well, called the dealer. I got the VON and the VIN. I asked if there was an estimated ship date and got a "no". The gentleman I spoke with said there was no "B1 Status" thus no ship date. He went on to say it is very possible there will be a B1 status this week.

Tom, it looks like your 3.5-4 week estimate may be on the money. I'm going to call DC on Thursday to see if I can get an update. Got my fingers crossed....

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • Options
    Mike:

I'm wishin' you the best of luck with the build and delivery. I know how tough the waiting is, but it is also kinda fun, and it is DEFINITELY worth it!

Keep us posted. Stick around and talk Jeep here to help with the wait.

Tom

• Options
    OK, here's one. I plugged my VIN into my insurance companies website for a quote. I was told the control digit was wrong. The VIN I was quoted had a "4" as a control number.

I found a website that decodes VINs for you. It reported that the control number was wrong as a "4" and should be a "5". What gives? I input the new number based on the decode website to my ins. and it took, giving me the output that matches what I ordered.

I know it is possible for the dealer to have read the number wrong, but I read it back to him. Is Jeep doing something new? Or did the dealer most likely just mess up?

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • Options
    Mike:

Not sure what a "control number" is, but my VIN starts out like this...

1J4FA49S31P______

Does that match the first characters of yours? Mine is an 01 Sport, so some of those numbers will change for yours, I guess.

Tom

• Options
    Tom,

Here is the beginning per the dealer:

1J4FA49S45T______

This is the VIN that fails.

The corrected VIN is:

1J4FA49S55T______

Here is how the decoder breaks the VIN down:

1 Country of Origin - USA
    J Mfg. - Jeep
    4 Type of Vehicle - Multi Purpose Vehicle
    F GVWR
    A Model - Wrangler
    4 Series - Sport
    9 Doors - 2 Door
    S Engine - 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder, HO
    4 Control digit - Failed check, should be 5
    5 Year - 2005
    T Plant - Toldeo, OH
    x 1st digit of serial number
    x 2nd digit of serial number
    x 3rd digit of serial number
    x 4th digit of serial number
    x 5th digit of serial number
    x 6th digit of serial number

The website goes on to give the formula behind determining the check number. It seems the place holder in the VIN varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Now, here is the interesting part. I changed the "T" in the dealer VIN to a "P" and the VIN passed the control digit check. It placed the plant of manufacture at Toledo #2. Maybe I misheard the "P" as a "T". Who knows. Either way I will still call Dc and verfiy on Thursday.

The website with the VIN decoder is in Russia, or at least registered as a Russian based server. You can perform a Google search for "Jeep VIN decoder 1.64" and find it as the first hit. Use at your own risk. I'm on a Mac, so I have little to worry about.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • Options
    I finally pulled the trigger as well and ordered the Jeeperman Trail Skidz

I think the diamon plate will complement the Rubi factory rockers nicely and add a whole more protection. These skidz are praised heavily on a Rubicon forum I frequent.

Paul, keep us up to date. I'm interested in OME down the line as well....
  • Options
    Keats,

To post a picture you need to find a site that will host your pictures. Fortunately, we are unable to read pics directly off your hard drive!

For details on posting pics click on the "Forums Help" link in the left column of this page.

tidester, host
  • Options
    *lol* well, it looks fine on my side...I thought it was uploading them at the same time. Let's try this again with just the URL...

Jeeperman Skidz
  • Options
    Now it looks great from here too! WTG!

tidester, host
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Tidester per what I can post. Collins Brothers in Texas has an interesting 01 Sahara Safari Conversion that seats 8 and a very interesting 1980 White CJ. Most of you probably know Collins Bros. Check out these 2 Jeeps. Very interesting. People were waving like crazy today in Connecticut. Women, men, pets, everything. Must be the weather. Ran my Red 03 thru an automatic soft car wash today (hardtop) for the first time. We had a bad winter and I wanted to wash under the Jeep per salt, etc. Very apprensive but it worked out well. Its never looked so good. Go Easy, John
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    No sooner did we talk about it in this group than it happened again. Cruising down the street, the tires, front end, and steering wheel shuddered like it was an 8.0 earthquake. It wasn't the street -- the road had been freshly paved. I pulled over for a few seconds, let her idle, then drove on as if nothing had happened. Very very odd.

About the 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl debate. I say the 6 cyl X models are a pretty good deal. Sort of an affordable spot between SE and Sport.

-Mike
  • Options
    I think you have to narrow it down a little further eryk. I have a feeling that "King of the Road" probably means something different for you than it does for me. Are you thinking of some kind of Jeep equivalent to Bigfoot?

By the way, did you follow up on the roll bar link I gave you?
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Just mounted Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos last month on my 2004 Wrangler X.
    It now looks much better than the 225 GSAs it came with, and quiter too. However the increased tire size at 30 x 9.50 does right a little rougher, looks like it is time to upgrade the shocks before these expensive premium tires would take a beating. Has anybody had any experience with Bilstein Heavy duty shocks, these are mono tube gas. I installed a set on my 87 Toyota 4 runner 10 years ago and the improvement was incredible. What I am curious is its use on TJ's only the short wheelbase coil spring variety. I am pretty set on doing this within 3 months, just need to know how much the improvement is.
  • Options
    No personal experience with those particular Bilsteins. However, that you've got a harsher ride with 30 x 9.50s (a standard Wrangler size) makes me wonder what pressure you're using?