Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I was making the assumption, probably a bad one, that the tire pressure information would be in the later manuals as it is in the earlier ones.

In my '99 manual its position is indicated in the index.
  • Options
    offroadindaddyoffroadindaddy Member Posts: 9
    I have a five speed manual.
    Steve
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Trey, or anyone who uses an oil pan skid, is there any good way to keep oil off the top of the skid plate? Had the oil changed in Thelma Jane today, and it is one of those places where I can stand right there and watch the guy doing the work. That's the ONLY way I will let someone else change my oil.

Anyway, the kid got oil on top of the skid when he drained the crankcase, and he got even more oil on the top of the skid when he unscrewed the old filter and took it off.

Maybe there is no way to avoid this?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    I normally stuff a rag between the ledge the oil pan bolts to, and the area the filter attaches to. That deals with the oil filter run off.

As you now have protection in that area, you could fit a drain valve instead of the the regular drain plug in the oil pan. You want the type you can attach a length of hose to. Fram makes one, and there's a better one available from a company whose name escapes me at the moment.

Found it (the wonders of Google)!

Fumoto Drain Valves

You want the type with a nipple to take a hose. I can't remember the Wrangler's drain plug thread at the moment.
  • Options
  • Options
    You're welcome.

Actually, if you get the drain valve it makes it so easy that you may end up changing the oil yourself!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Several Subaru owners use one of these (often the hoseless one). I think the lever can be tied up or otherwise prevented from opening on the trail if it gets hit by stray sticks or rocks. If it's protected by the skid plate you probably aren't at any risk of it hitting something and snapping it off.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Mac:

Many moons ago I did change my own oil. But, they have deals so good now that it just ain't worth the trouble.

At the GM dealership service dept, they will change your oil and filter, do lubrication, and top off fluids for $5.95, if you bring in your own oil and filter.

At the DC dealerhip, where I normally take Thelma Jane, it's $10.95 or something like that for the same service.

The only way I will let either place do that work is if they let me stand right there at the bay where the work is being done and supervise. So far they have let me do that at both places, but if they ever enforce the official policy of no customers in the shop, that's when I go back to changing my own oil and filter at home.

Now that might sound like I don't have confidence in either service department, but that is absolutely NOT the case. I just like to be there when work is done, no matter how much I trust the establishment or the individual technician.

Now I just have to find someone to watch ME while I watch the TECHNICIAN. I stood there yesterday and watched the whole process. I even wiped off the zerks for the seven lube points, in case the kid wasn't in the habit of doing so before lubing. (If you don't clean first, you are just forcing grit into the zerks along with the fresh grease.) Well it occurred to me last night that I didn't see the kid do any greasing! He didn't think of it, and I didn't either at the time! Will be going back today for the lube job. :blush: :mad: :(

Tomster

• Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I went another route than the Fumoto and although it works, I don't recommend it. I bought the Fram Suredrain, which has a threaded insert, a screw on cap and a hose that threads onto the insert, aloowing the oil to come out. It's plenty safe, secure, and out of the way, but don't be in any hurry when you're chainging the oil. The flow coming out of the Suredrain is very slow. It takes about 15+ min to completely drain, so I've altered my routine a bit. I start draining, then move around to the 16 grease fitting, check all other fluids, pull the old filter and STILL have to wait for the oil to finish draining. I should just get off my butt and order the one Mac posted. :-0

Another (free and easy) option is to cut the top few inches off a 2L soda bottle and use it as a funnel to get the oil through the drain hole on the SkidRow skid.

-twylie
  • Options
    I found the article again by using the "wayback" machine :-) archive.org

Jeep gauge fix

-twylie
  • Options
    Whoa! I must have been missing some!

I know of seven places that take grease on Thelma Jane. Where are the other nine? The ones I know of are all on the steering system somewhere: top of steering knuckles, tie rod ends, pitman arm, and drag link.

Didn't think any of the U-joints had fittings. Do they???

Tomster

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I believe I have found your routine for an oil change...

#15031 by twylie Nov 13, 2004 (9:40 pm)

one tip my dad taught me on changing oil is to place the drain plug on top of the new filter. Helps me to not forget the drain plug before filler 'er back up. My routine in oil changes:

- gather new oil and filter (to make sure I have what I need)
    - put drain pan under oil pan
    - remove drain plug
    - put drain plug in top of new filter
    - remove old oil filter, place small drip pan under filter location
    - get grease guns and hit all zerks with syn or poly grease depending on application
    - log mileage and date on back of oil filter box top
    - write up new oil change sticker (many auto parts stores give these out for free now)
    - top off washer fluid
    - visually check radiator overflow tank and brake fluid, diffs and tranny through check holes
    - check air pressure
    - replace drain plug
    - lube up gasket on new filter
    - wipe filter seating surface
    - hand tighten new filter
    - recheck drain plug
    - add new oil
    - start engine until oil pressure shows, run 30 sec.
    - shut off engine and fill containers with old oil
    - put away tools
    - check oil level
    - grab an adult beverage

Sounds a lot more complex than it seems when doing it, but after a hundred or so oil changes, it's routine.

I will be the first to admit that having a garage has made auto repair/maint. much nicer in extreme temps or inclimate weather.

-Paul

That last step the most important? ;)
  • Options
    You're correct on the factory 7 Tom; I should have clarified. I have one additional one on my adjustable front trackbar, 4 on my JKS disconnects (top & bottom, each side), plus 4 (each side, front & rear) on my poly sway bar bushings. I'ev always used valvoline synthetic grease and the poly mounts take a special grease designed for them. I have a full size grease gun for my regular joints, and a mini gun for the poly ones.

-twylie
  • Options
    last step is definitly the most important!

-twylie
  • Options
    embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Cool. I might pick one of those up. Reminded me of some other easily missed security devices. Locking lug nuts -- I just use one on the spare. Also, the sentry theft deterrent key. Not sure how effective it is, but it pays for itself with a commiserate insurance discount.

I meant to check my air pressure label this morning. Mine's on the door frame. I think it's 28 or 29, which seemed low to me, but what do I know.

-Mike
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Am I ever impressed that you could come up with that! The directions are excellent and it really does work the way this says it will - it's what I used way back when. Thanks for finding that article again - it's so useful for anyone wanting to get to their instrument cluster.
  • Options
    I understand the sentry key is very effective - several years ago one of our regulars (yellowman) had his vehicle tampered with several times. Both times he came out in the morning to find some damage where they tried to hotwire his Wrangler, but couldn't. While he wasn't happy about the damage, he was delighted he still had a vehicle, and attributed it completely to the sentry key system. That convinced me to put it on my "must-have" list.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    so no Sentry key for me. :(

Does that gauge fix perhaps affect just the fuel gauge as well? :) I'm hoping in time I'm realizing I don't have to replace the sending unit. :)

twylie, you still available for assistance with OME?

-Paul
  • Options
    Defenitely still available, but it would likely need to be the weekend of Apr 30 as I'm already committed next weekend. You can email me offlist next week to work out a time and place.

-twylei
  • Options
    iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Didn't see an answer to your question so hope this helps (a little). I know the newer Jeeps can be towed without disconnecting anything...older models, not sure, but do believe you have to disconnect the driveline. So depends on the year...might check manual...mine says I do not have to do anything (2005). Tom would probably know the answer and the year....Good Luck.
  • Options
    "..........So depends on the year...might check manual..."

Good advice, that's where most of the answers to commonly asked questions are!

In this particular instance, although nothing has to be disconnected, it's very important to set the transfer case and main transmission correctly.
  • Options
    Nope, sorry, no experience with towing and have not done any research on the subject. Just never had a need to.

Good Old Mac can help us, I'm sure, and probably some others in here can also shed some light.

Anyone?

Tom

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, in my chair. That little 5.1 earthquake was only about 15 miles from me and the house sure swayed. California would sure be a nice place to live if it weren't for the fires, earthquakes, landslides, high winds and traffic!

Sure wish they'd get around to opening some of the trails around me - the rains have stopped, everything is pretty dried out in the lower elevations and I'm ready to go play on a dirt road. Gigi would like a change from all the freeway pavement she's been on recently.
  • Options
    So I've been enjoying my Jeep for a year and a half on pavement, often with top down and doors off, but now want to start exploring life off road. I don't need to become an expert; just the basics will do. Any recommendations for four wheelin' schools/courses in (Southern) California?

Thx,
    Mike

P.S.Edit -- Wow. Mtngal gave me a nice segue to 4x4ing. Didn't even see that until I posted. But, yeah, with the recent rains even the paved canyon roads have been an adventure.
  • Options
    There used to be someone who did a class up at Hungry Valley OHV area, but I haven't seen his signs up in a couple of years. The California 4x4 association would probably have information. Or you could join one of the many off-roading clubs in SoCal.

You don't necessarily have to take a course to get started - there are lots of wonderful, easy roads in the national forests to give you a taste of off-roading without running the risk of getting into trouble. There are a number of guidebooks available - email me (my address is public) and I'll send you a list of the ones I've read.

If you want to wander around SoCal backcountry you might check out the Southern California Auto Club county maps. They are excellent and have many of the dirt roads marked on them, along with indicating seasonal and permanent gates. At the moment many roads that are normally open all year are closed because of our tough winter, so it would be a good idea to check with the national forest rangers for the area you're thinking about visiting.
  • Options
    Earthquake? I live in Venice. How come I never feel these things? Usually it takes my parents' freaked out "Oh my God there was an earthquake!" phone calls for me to even know we had one. Maybe the Venice Beach sand absorbs the rumbling?

>California would sure be a nice place to live if it weren't for the fires, earthquakes, landslides, high winds and traffic!

Don't forget riots. Riots are fun too.

-Mike ;)
  • Options
    Don't count on the sand saving you from earthquakes - it can make it worse. This latest one was near Taft and Bakersfield (Kern County), so it was close to us. The news said it was felt in Glendale but I doubt you would feel it as far south as you are. Our house is on a hillside so it will sway quite a bit in even small earthquakes.

And how could I forget the riots - they sure screw up traffic!

Everyone - be careful out there!
  • Options
    mcneill3mcneill3 Member Posts: 4
    I am fairly new to the jeep game. I have a 1989 Wrangler and I am looking to lift it about 4-6 inches. There are so many different types of lift kits out there that I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me any advice?
  • Options
    Hi, Null, and welcome to the board. (Well, it says your name is Null in your profile) :)

Seriously, welcome to the group, and congrats on getting a Jeep.

I have no experience with anything other than TJ's, since I got into this "Jeep Thing" only four years ago and bought a TJ.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your lift selection.

Good luck.

Tom

• Options
    Mike:

Now yer talkin'! Get ready for the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on.

Mtngal gave you some excellent advice about getting hooked up with a club. That's the best way to learn off roading. Most clubs welcome newbies, and the members are more than willing to help a newbie learn the ropes.

Man, if you just lived near me.... I love to help folks get started in this wonderful hobby, sport, or whatever offroading is.

Do you have tow hooks front and back? Do you have a CB? These things are really necessary, and a lot of clubs will require that you have them to ride with them. They just plain make good sense, so whether the club requires them or not, you ought to have them.

You can't pull a Jeep out of a hole by attaching a cable or or a strap to the bumper. You just bend the bumper and don't move the Jeep. Tow hooks are essential.

You need a CB to communicate with the other Jeeps in the group. If you have a radio, the trail guide could tell you, "watch me, but don't follow me," or "come on and follow me, this is one you can do." That is better than guessing whether or not the trail guide wants you to try an obstacle. Besides, the chatter on the radio is part of the fun.

Tom

• Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I love my Jeep. Even though it's only an SE with a 4-banger, it beats driving a conventional car. Or van. Or whatever. Other Wranglers still wave for the most part (of course, here in Oklahoma, people tend to be very friendly, so even non-Wranglers are likely to wave!) I drive about 50 miles r/t to and from work every day. It is a 5-speed; I'm afraid what a 4cyl auto would be like on the highway. Here in central Oklahoma, we're short on mountains, but can have mountainous winds from time to time (break into chorus of Oklahoma!).

Mine is a soft top, which is way fun. I've been on this site for about as long as Tom, but with far fewer postings. But then, who doesn't! I bought used, but in 2000 it onlyhad about 12,000 miles. Now it's up to about 80k. Still a baby, in mtngal terms!

Many helpful pointers from this site over the years. Thanks especially to Mac with regard to my heater core/radiator issue. But others have also been very eager to help. Quite a strong extended family.

Enough history. Like I said; I've got a soft top, and half doors. This means a lot of zippers. Most are fine, but especially the driver's window is very "sticky" and much less effective than it used to be. Is there a good lubricant to restore it's smooth operation (zippers are like magic to me; how in the world do they work?!)? Or should I cave and look into a set of sliders? I'd prefer to keep everything original and ind a solution with some cheap lube solution, but am willing to face reality.

Thanks again. I know there will be help here!

Red
  • Options
    Our Unlimited came with a small bottle of Mopar zipper lube. Others here have mentioned using soap. I haven't actually tried it because it is just now getting warm enough at home to think about putting the top down. The last few days have been 70s and 80s at the office, and 40s and 50s at the house when I get home - too cold for topless driving. However, today was absolutely beautiful and if it's the same tomorrow, I'll wash her and try out the zipper lube. Then I'll try taking the top down (for the first time ever!). Wish me luck trying to figure it out (gotta watch the video and read the directions a couple of times tomorrow morning).
  • Options
    Keith, good try. Shoot, I want to see your baby. Keep on trying!

Offer still stands... if you send me an invitation to view your pics at photobucket, then maybe I can get them to load here in Jeep Wrangler.

Email is public in my profile.

Tom

• Options
    If you can't get the Mopar stuff try a marine or camping store for this stuff:

".........(zippers are like magic to me; how in the world do they work?!)?..........."

Yup, they use magic, probably licensed from Disney!

:--)
  • Options
    Do you want to lift for looks or function? Do you want the cheapest or the best engineered?
  • Options
    iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Thanks, Tom:
    I think the problem is with the cookies and I do not want to disable the cookies block on my computer. Tell me how to send you an invitation (you have my permission right now) to view the photos on photobucket and it's a done deal.
    Thanks...you ought to see how much "stuff" this thing can hold...wife and I re-packed all our gear into duffle type carriers and you can pile a ton of stuff in the back (took the seat our and wrapped it in bubble wrap and won't see it again until I sell it for a new one). Hope we can post it...it is a beauty and ready for 10 days in Utah soon.
  • Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    There was an earthquake? :confuse:
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's everything you ever wanted to know about how zippers work!

tidester, host
  • Options
    Keith:

In your Photobucket account, there is a place where you can "invite"someone to see your pics. You need to copy and paste my email into that thing, and I will receive a link to your gallery.

Maybe if you just tell me your username in Photobucket, I can go there and do what I need to do myself. I'll check to see if you used iconoclast there, like you did here, but if if's different, you'll have to tell me.

Not sure if I have time this AM, since I am wheelin' today (had to work yesterday). If not this AM, will do this evening.

Tomster

• Options
    so go to your account and send me an invitation, OK?

Tom

• Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Jeep,,

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

I spent $500 + buiding a shed yesterday to put my hardtop in for the summer,, why is it that everything I do cost $500 or multiples of $500?

before buying my jeep,, i made pottery on a potters wheel,,,, $500 of clay would last me 2 years !! now I don't seem to have time for the pottery...
  • Options
    Mainly for looks....I dont do much off roading because I find that it gets expensive to fix things all the time :)
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    could you ( or any other of the unlimited family ) please post some pictures of how your soft tops are installed,,,

I bought my softop as a dealer take off. and have no instructions,,,,
    The owners manual has a better description than I imagined, but the diagrams aren't the same as pictues. one of the parts is a long black, piece of cushion / foam, it looks like it was glued in place on the original jeep, what is it?? and is there already one of those in my jeep that won't need replaced??

I have a service manual that I bought from EBAY,,,its only for regular length jeeps,,

the unlimited tops are slightly different--- correct??? ( yes I know they are longer )

thanks

jts

hoping the sermon is SHORT this morning,, i want to get onto this project ASAP :)
  • Options
    koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Max tire pressure on sidewall is 44psi. for max load. I am running 33. Thanks for the response. Go Easy, john
  • Options
    "Mainly for looks....I dont do much off roading because I find that it gets expensive to fix things all the time"

In that case get the biggest body lift and cheapest suspension lift you can find. It'll be cheap, not much good off road, but it meets your criteria. Wouldn't be my choice though.
  • Options
    What would your choice be? If you were going to raise your jeep what would you go with? I am not so much concerned about the cost....I just want to make sure that I dont spend a bunch of money on one brand when a cheaper brand would do the exact same thing.
  • Options
    I'm afraid I just wouldn't be looking for a lift that high. However, a reasonable way to get a 6" lift on a YJ would be the Skyjacker Rock Ready Monolinear Kit which seems fairly comprehensive and costs around $1400. You can get a more basic 4" kit for around $650 from various suppliers.

If it were my Jeep (you did ask) I'd be looking an Old Man Emu (OME) 2 1/2" kit for about $950.
  • Options
    "one of the parts is a long black, piece of cushion / foam, it looks like it was glued in place on the original jeep, what is it?"

I'm not sure what you could have there. The Unlimited's top is different than the short wheelbase soft tops, but since my Sport is a hard top, I'm not sure of all of the differences, other than the Sunrider option and its associated hardware. It looks like there's basically the header, a couple of bars for support, the windows and the top itself.

When I bought mine there was an addendum to the owners manual that had better instructions. I'll go outside and take some photos, but they will be with the top up.