Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    This will give you more time to study the delivery checklist:

twylie Oct 1, 2001 8:26am

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    about DC's new policy for Jeeps? They are apparently putting out new ads and now have a new standard for what makes a Jeep. They are doing away with the rule that all Jeeps have to make it on the Rubicon Trail. Now they just have to be "more off-road capable than other vehicles of their size and class" - whatever that means.

I just hope they don't mess around too much with the Wrangler. I know it isn't a perfect vehicle, but I'd rather put up with the poor handling in the wind if it would mean that they turn it into another "cute-ute" or take away its stock off-roading ability.
  • Who knows what they at DC have in store for the Wrangler. My wife's lease was up on her 99 Cherokee but she refused to look at the Liberty. She said it looks like a Kia, Tracker, Honda CRV, and a Rav4. I agreed and we looked at a Grand Cherokee. They wanted a TON for those. We ended up going to the Toyota dealer and getting an 4 Runner. But getting back to the subject, If DC does to the Wrangler what they did to the Cherokee ( a VERY beefy offroad SUV) and turned it into a Soccer Mom car. I'm done. I'll never buy a New Jeep again. But I think they have some form of cense, i.e. the Rubicon. If they were going down that path they would have introduced a Jeep with doors that dont come off, a power convertible, Goodyear Eagle GT tires and and power windows/locks. Not a Crazy Stock off road ready vehicle.. I'm rambling.....

PS : Still waiting for my new Jeep......
    You still don't have your new Wrangler yet? I hope you get it soon!

We still haven't driven a 2003 to compare seating yet - we ended up not doing much except taking my Mom out to eat while we were in Vegas last weekend, playing computer games on her computer and going to church on Sunday.

I hope that you are right - that they plan on leaving the Wrangler more or less alone. They are planning on expanding the number of models they will offer under the Jeep name, and that isn't such a bad thing. If I had been your wife, I might have just bought out the lease on that Cherokee - that's what we should have bought instead of that (hated) Taco!
  • Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the delay in responding - had to get my modem replaced.....

I'm not sure about the driving characteristics with a Detroit - I went the ARB Air Locker route. From what I've heard about the Detroit, I think you'll find that you'll get an occasional chirp of the tires where it's been slow in releasing. I think that would happen if you were cornering and accelerating at the same time - like making a turn from a stop sign. I don't think you'll notice it at all on the highway. Maybe somebody else can share more.

Bummer about the DC policy on Jeeps. Some DC guys at the Rubicon Jamboree said the Rubicon Wrangler was only slated for a three year run with no follow-up plans. I thought that was strange, but it may play in with the change in policy.....
    That's an interesting comment, and it would dovetail with another thing the article I was reading said. Apparently DC wants to have parts be interchangable so that they don't have one vehicle that stands alone. The requirement that all Jeeps be able to traverse the Rubicon Trail means that they are built heavier and stronger than all of their other cars, and so do not allow interchangable parts.

So on the one hand they say that the Jeep line is under-utilized (don't recall how they phrased it, but that was how it came across to me) and want to use it more. But at the same time they are going to change it from what it is. IMHO changing the line will be short sighted - they will be killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
  • I couldn't get what I wanted for the deal I wanted so everything was pointing to the fact that I just couldn't swing a Wrangler right now with my current situation. So, I went back to the dealer that low-balled me and asked to see another salesman...no rookies please! ;-)

Well, I was quite pleased with the salesman I got. He was not uptight or anything like that which put me more at ease when it came time to drive and deal on the Cougar....Yes tomster I said C-O-U-G-A-R ;) My first love is still the Wrangler, but it'll have to wait for a while longer...and I am pleased with the practical car that I have purchased.

I got approved for up to $17,000 at 5.65% for 5 years, so the payments will be around $263/mo. I was to be honest shooting for closer to $200, but the original car I drove was sold (it was a base model) so I upgraded to a Sport model with more features. It didn't have a sunroof, so I got a moonroof that will hopefully be installed Monday so I can pick it up Monday before I go to class. Hopefully I'll have time to bring it back by the house to show Mom and Dad. I know Mom will be thrilled to see that I didn't get a Jeep this time. As I've told her before if it doesn't work out right now to get a Jeep...I still plan on getting one eventually and I'll have all the options that I want to get on it.

I still plan on posting here, so to those that think I'm betraying the Jeepsters here remember...once a Jeepster always a Jeepster (whether you have one or not...it's the fact that you love and celebrate all that is JEEP ;) )

It's just a dream postponed that's all.

dwrangler...or maybe for now...dtopcat ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    You could have gotten a REAL nice used Jeep for that money you are spending on a Cougar! You could have probably gotten one with some factory warranty still on it.

Oh well, I guess you did what you thought was best, but I sure don't agree. It's your money though, and I hope you will be happy.

Tom

Have you hugged your Cougar today?
    Just think of it this way, you might have a new cougar, but you are still in the market for a Wrangler - in about 3 years. So that means you can still post here. I still haven't done anything about dumping the Taco and probably won't be able to before April at the earliest, but I'm still avidly reading about Subarus, and we still haven't ruled out getting rid of both the Taco and the '98 Wrangler on a new Wrangler. So I'm sort of Wrangler-shopping too!
  • I knew someone would understand ;) I pick it up either tomorrow or Tuesday. I had them put in a moonroof because I didn't like the sunroof that comes from the factory...plus it has a lifetime warranty from the installation company. Again thanks for the support...things haven't been working out the way I planned this year that's for sure.

I know that Tomster is really supportive too ;)
    I'm kiddin tomster :) I still have that email you sent telling me to keep my chin up :)

Well gotta go...long day tomorrow..and school too

Deb
  • ... are actually the reason I got a Jeep. I wanted to buy a Cougar, friend talked me into a Civic (long story, don't ask), hated it with a passion, now I have a Wrangler.

:-)
  • Wrangler's are awesome!!!!! This is the last true American sports car. Inexpensive, convertible, decent power, etc. Can't beat it.

Why did the post about the Sooners and the Crimson Tide get deleted? I didn't find that to be particulary offensive. Is there a rule about what team you are allowed to support on Edmunds. Go Huskers! I hope the host doesn't hate Nebraska football...

Take care all...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Why did the post about the Sooners and the Crimson Tide get deleted?

I am not aware of any such deletion.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I'm scratching my head too. But if it's gone, there must have been a good reason .

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Kelley's Blue Book, on-line, now has the prices and options posted for the 2003 Jeep Wrangler, including the new Rubicon model.

J.Thurlow
  • what have you been smoking? the wrangler is far from a sports car. what you really have out in your yard is the best 4x4 you can buy these days. are you one of those people who buys a suv and drives it like a car??
    J. Thurlow, we seem to have TMV pricing for everything but the Rubicon, unless the data guys are considering it an option package and burying the info like the Caravan Sport model I can never find here either.

Anyone interested in the model X version?

Steve

Host

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    A quote I've seen in many places:

"Jeeps have been described by Enzo Ferrari, it is said, as the American sports car."

I take this not as a literal, but that if Italy is the home of sports cars, than the Jeep is Americas verison of a purpose built vehicle (our "sports car"). It could also relate to a 2 door drop top based on minimalist design.

Not sure how it all fits together, but the quote from Enzo is one you'll hear many Jeepers echo.

-twylie
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    your link is for '02 data... ;-) It looks like you have '03 pricing for the Grand and Libby but not the Wrangler. I even tried changing the URL to .../2003/... but no luck! Get those data guys off their butts!

-twylie
    lol, dang (squinting and double-checking) - well, I'm having Lasik tomorrow so that'll never happen again! yeah, right.

And if the X model has been out for a year, how come you guys never talk about it?

Steve
    Host