Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Ross Allen and old Tom will be heading out to Turkey Bay in a few minutes. Will be hooking up with Alan again. He drove nine hours to get here Friday, and after our wheelin' yesterday, he said it was worth the trip... we had a great day!

Jim and his wife, Janna, hooked up with us yesterday, and I think Janna really liked wheelin'. Jim is still not sure what he will do about that tranny in his YJ.

You can find pics in the usual place: at Gill's gallery.

How come nobody posted yesterday??? Geez!

Hope I have some posts to read when I get back this evening.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Who told you guys you could have the weekend off???

No posts yesterday, and only mine so far today. What's the deal?

Anyway, Alan and I had a great day today. We could not have ordered better weather! Clear blue sky and probably about 75 degrees.

We had fun wheelin', and Alan seems to be very glad that he made the long drive.

NOW......... POST, PEOPLE! :)

Tom

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    We were all out at Turkey Bay today and you were nowhere to be found! ;-)

tidester, host
  • bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Here is mine...
       sorry..no off-roading stories.
    just a GREAT day to have a topless jeep.

BamaTazz
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I was hoping to post that I had done something about my dash gauges, but I couldn't find my needle-nosed pliers. Guess it will have to wait until next weekend (notice how enthusiastic I am about this project?).

Spent the day researching Southwest Utah, where we are heading in November. Sounds like lots of excellent off-roading opportunities there - just wish we had more time. Unless the price of gas goes skyrocketing again we'll definitely take the Wrangler.

There are too many hunters around my usual weekend haunts for me to venture out very far right now. Hunting is quite a bit like off-roading - the vast majority of people are responsible, careful and considerate, but a very small minority of jerks give the rest a bad name. Since misplaced bullets can cause lethal human damage, I tend to avoid the national forest during deer season, rather than getting upset about it. Now you should see me when I see some inconsiderate person tearing up the trails or the area around the trails - then I get really upset!

Sorry to get so wound up, but remember everyone out there hitting the trails - Tread Lightly!
  • geepersgeepers Posts: 93
    Mtngal, Zion is one of my favorite National Parks. If you're up for a strenuous hike, the hike to the top of Angel's Landing is spectacular. You feel like you're on top of the world.

Gary
  • tsjay...you said whatever damage could be done already cant be helped...i was wondering what damage could that be? could it wear out some seals or something like that which would be costly and laborous to fix? i really hope im lucky and dont cause any major damage to the car, but i'll be changing the oil in a few days, thank you all for the help very much, maybe i can save my reputation of being a know-it-all car genious for her dad.
    -ajjjjjjj
    You probably just "thinned" the oil somewhat, and maybe it has done no damage at all, but why is that oil still in there??? The sooner it is changed the less chance of damage to the engine.

I would prefer that good old Mac jumps in here, but what I think is that some parts could wear a little more than they would have if the two stroke oil had not been put in there. Wear over time is the problem rather than immediate, catastrophic damage. The sooner you get that stuff out of there, the less extra wear the engine will be subjected to.

This would be a WHOLE DIFFERENT story if the entire crankcase had been filled with two stroke oil, but since it was less than a quart, you might not have caused much damage so far, if any, but GET THAT OIL CHANGED!

Tom

"We were all out at Turkey Bay today and you were nowhere to be found! ;-)

tidester, host"

Man, I would LOVE it if all my Edmunds Buds really could join me at Turkey Bay!

Bama Tazz would have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, huh?

Tom

Saturday I was trying to run a gully that I had run before with no problem. The thing is, there had been rain on Friday, and the gully was SLICK this time! My left side tires slipped down the wall of the gully, and they got down into the deepest part, causing Thelma Jane to lay way over.

I know it looks like I had some room to lean a little more before going over, but every time I tried to go either forward or backward, it felt like the lean got worse. You can see my tracks where I had gotten further into the gully before backing to the position I was in when this pic was taken. You can see that she would have been leaning even more when the left side tires were in that rut.

Finally, Alan put a strap on me and pulled me out backwards.

There must have been a big rock in the mud at the bottom of that gully, cause I ended up with a bad gouge in the side wall of my left rear tire, and it was down to 15 psi Sunday morning. Had to change it before going back to Turkey Bay.

So, I guess that tire will have to be my spare, if it's even good for that now. Might just be leaking at the bead, and re-mounting may take care of it.

I had BFG damage and came close to having BVD damage too. :)

Tom

Yucky (ground) and lucky (Tom). I'm constantly amazed at how tough these Wranglers really are, and how much they can take without rolling. Also, your photo demonstrates how a little water can change an otherwise easy trail into a very hard one. We don't get much rain, and even when we do, much of the ground around here drains quickly, so I tend to not think about slick stuff much. While researching trails around Zion (we will probably hike one day there, though we've been to Zion Canyon before) and other spots in SW Utah, I've discovered warnings about not trying slickrock trails after rain. Could really be hazardous, so I guess I won't fix where we'll go until closer to Thanksgiving - gotta see what the weather is going to be like.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    Did you actually find a gouge in that tire? Remember when I was looking at that tire? I had noticed it looked a little down, but not much. I was looking for some wheel damage and/or the bead pushed in. That rock didn't have any sharp edges that I saw and I didn't see any gouges in the tire. But, it did have the sidewall pushed in and I'd bet you've got a small rock wedged in the bead. I'd give that tire a good cleaning. If you can't find any surface damage, then let the air out of it and use a sledgehammer to break down that outside bead. Just work around the bead being careful not to hit the rim. Whatever is in there should come out. With only one bead broken down, you shouldn't have too much trouble reseating that bead with an aircompressor. 35 to 40psi should reseat it. Just make sure your fingers are out of the way when it seats!!

Did that rock mess the rim up very badly? Oh, and the picture isn't working for some reason.
    The pic is hosted at Gill's, and it appears that his site is down right now. Maybe a problem with phone lines or something. The pic was working this AM when I first posted.

Yes, Jim, there is DEFINITELY a gouge in the sidewall. The tires were just too muddy Saturday to see the damage. The rim is only slightly bent, so I think it will not be a problem. I will try to have that tire re-mounted, and we'll see if it will hold pressure. I hope I can at least count on it as a spare.

Did you ever get your spare back or at least hear from Chris?

Tom

• drosketerdrosketer Posts: 203
    Hey all,

I came across an ad for a '93 YJ (see following text) and was wondering what questions I should ask, or what you think it may be worth...

originally a 4cyl Jeep...I had that motor pulled and then had a 4.0L HO from a Grand Cherokee Ltd installed...the new motor only has 97,000kms on it and runs like a dream. It has 4:10 gears front and rear and chews through the gumbo without a worry due to the power to weight ratio, along with the 35' Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires (5). This Jeep has a 6" Pro Comp lift, I ordered the ARB front bush bar from Australia and also installed an ARB Snorkel kit... It has a super duty Conn-Ferr roof rack system for all of the camp gear you'd want to take into the bush with you, there is a HI-Lift jack mounted on the rack at all times. It has a MSD ignition system, K&N filters, heavy duty belts, and a top of the line computer harness system to mate the Cherokee wiring up to the YJ components. There are three Pro Comp flood lights on the roof rack system, two facing the sides and one rear. There are two PIAA lights mounted on the ARB bumper and there are two more Procomp flood lights mounted on the lower portion of the windshield. I had custom neoprene 'JEEP" seat covers made. I installed the best extended fender flares money could buy (tested to -45 C). Rock crawler side "nerf" bars and a rock crawler rear bumper with receiver was also installed. The elctrics are powered by a optimax "red" battery charged through a high end high amp alternator....so even running all trail lighting, you never have to worry about electrical drainage!! I installed waterproof Alpine 6x9 side speakers and a marine grade Clarion sub behind the rear seat...you can get these things as wet as you like!!! I have hardly even used the jeep for it's intended purpose, due to the fact that I worked in Africa for 6 months of the year and now have three young kids...it's simply not a family vehicle... I'm sure that I still haven't covered it all here...so please email me with any questions you may have

The following are the ones I've come up with so far:
    Axles - original? If so, aren't they inappropriate for the size of the tires on there?
    Any form of lockers installed?
    Now, it lists 97000 km on the new engine, how many total (as in body, shocks, etc).
    What is the word on Pro-Comp (lifts and tires), plus, given the 6" of lift, was the driveshaft slip-yoke modifications done to reduce vibrations (I'm no mechanic, so forgive me if that doesn't sound right)?
    Any body damage/rust?

I am not sure if it would work well as a daily driver but I am definitely planning on taking it wheeling... So far I have been waiting on DC to offer some decent financing rates so I could pick up a new Rubi - but this ad caught my attention!

Thanks in advance,
     Andrew
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    How are your mechanical/electrical abilities? Looks like lots of name brand items have been thrown at this Jeep. How well they stuck will depend on the skills of whoever fitted them. It's the kind of situation where if you'd installed everything yourself you'd be in a good position if things start to develop problems. If you have to approach it cold.... well, you'd better be good.

When someone says things like "you can get the marine grade speakers and sub as wet as you like", they're either speaking from ignorance or with intent to deceive. Either way I'd be very cautious.

Unless it's priced extremely cheaply, or it's exactly the Jeep you want, I'd run. It's still a ten year old YJ!
    My mechanical/electrical abilities? Lol. What abilities?!

Not much in that way yet, but am planning on learning once I acquire a Jeep all my own. Hoping to do maintenance/modifications myself so as to get acquainted with everything. I know what you mean though. Complicating things further is that in this case, given my skills (or lack thereof), there is no warranty to fall back on either...

Thanks.
    Andrew
  • So, I've had my car about two weeks now and I'm ready to wash it. Previous posts allude to problems with car washes. And the manual cautions that it's easy to harm the soft windows, and that nothing should be sprayed at the auto-dimming rearview.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a Car Wash, or should I now budget time to do my own washing?

-Mike
  • When downshifting, I've noticed when I drop it into third at 2,000 - 2500 RPMs, there's a vibration in the gear shifter. Almost an oscilation. That's the only gear it happens in, and I don't feel it anywhere else (floorboards, etc). And I don't feel it at lower RPMs (under 2K). Is this something that sounds normal, or could it be symptomatic of a problem?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Don't remember ever noticing a third gear vibe, but I'll pay more attention next time I drive Thelma Jane.

I used to ONLY wash Thelma Jane by hand, but that was in my days of being a fanatic on car care. Now, I just spray her off at the car wash to get the mud off from wheelin', and sometimes follow that up with a hand washing at home.

I would be very careful about the soft top and the plastic windows, if I were you. Thelma Jane has the hard top only, so I have never had to worry. The reason that I used to avoid spray washes is that the detergent is too harsh and will remove the wax. I don't worry about that any more. :)

If I had a soft top, no way I would even consider using the drive-thru type car wash.

Tom

• I have a 2000 Wrangler with soft top. I live in the Chicago area. In the winter, it is hard to get in a hand wash. To keep the salt and other winter crap off I take mine to one of those "touchless" car washes that just use a pressure spray drive through. I do this only when the temp is above freezing. I just make sure the zippers are all zipped tight and I use the van bay to keep a little pressure off the top. If the weather isn't too miserable, I take a couple of towels with me to wipe it down after the wash. Been doing this for 3 1/2 years and it doesn't seem to have hurt anything.
    I'm afraid itsajeep is a thing of the past. Gill lost one of his main sources of income, and I think he has shut down itsajeep. That's where my pics were hosted.

All of us who are friends of Gill ought to keep him in mind, remembering how good he has been to us, providing us with all the services of itsajeep without charging us a dime. I sure wish him the best and hope he can replace that income somehow.

Anyway, I tansferred the pic I posted this morning to my personal webspace at earthlink, so I'm going to post a link to it here. Hope it works.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/PA180065.JPG

Well, we'll see if that works.

Tom

• twylietwylie Posts: 619
    I see you fixed your link, but I'll leave your pretty picture up!image

-twylie
    THANKS!

I didn't know I could directly link like that from earthlink! I was just trying to post a link, and I finally discovered how to get it right about the time your post showed up. Yes, it is case sensitive!

But, like I said, I didn't know I could actually make the pic show up, like I was doing when the pics were hosted on Gill's site.

YOU DA MAN!

Tom

• guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Although my 2003 is gone, I thought I would pass along the following description found in the SE section of the 2004 Wrangler brochure.

"...the heavy-duty manual transmission uses slightly angled and curved helical-type gears for quiet, reliable engagement". As this was about the opposite of my 2003's operation, one can assume DC has recognized and fixed the problem for 2004.

By the way, my 2004 X is proving to be a very nice vehicle and has attained 20.5 mpg on the first tank. Mostly two lane 55 mph driving.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Tom,

I'm going to hold off on the black TJ. Just doesn't feel right - the guy selling is a coworker. He bought it from somebody else. I think I'm going to hold off on a TJ until my daughter leaves for college next summer.

As for my trip, we had a Wrangler X with a soft top. Had it down a LOT, but you know how it can be in Hawaii - rain and sun pretty much all the time. I have a few of the 240+ pics I took on my Webshots directory.

http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_

Look for the Hawaii links and you'll see our rental baby. :) I am thinking I need a Wrangler for all my scuba gear (once I get certified). We did some snuba diving while we were there (essentially scuba with the air tank floating on a raft on the surface and limited to about 20 feet depth). Those reefs and sea turtles were INCREDIBLE!

-Paul
  • I've been paying more attention to it; the oscillation comes when I take my foot off the gas and let the Jeep decelerate while in third gear. Stepping on the gas abates the problem. Any thoughts?
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    drosketer
    I don't think Pro comp makes a 6" lift. It must be a combination of a shackle or body lift with a suspension lift.
    The axles are probably holding up ok if the Jeep is not taken off road much. If you lock them up and then take them out in the mud you have up in Canada with a lot of tire spin, I am sure you will have problems.
    I would find out if he had the engine installed or did it himself.
    It really depends on the person as if it would work as a daily driver. I have seen people that run 37s on their daily driver.
    My speakers in my YJ were rained on all the time. One time I had the radio going as it was raining on them with water on them. They never did quit on me. I guess they were waterproof or resistant speakers. They were already installed when I bought the Jeep.

Tom,
    I am still topless and doorless. I did drive home with a sweatshirt and wool hat on last night though. :)

Paul,
    Thanks for sharing those pics. Looks like I need to make a trip there someday.
    Lovely photos! Those sunsets were certainly spectacular. I can understand putting off the TJ purchase for the time being, but didn't you find that rental FUN? Sure looked nice.
    Thanks for the info, I thought much the same re. the axles. Are the components really that water-resistant (console, radio/speakers) in Jeeps?

I think that it's probably best to wait and do the mods myself once I get a Jeep. Like Mac said, that way at least I'll know what's been done and how... Ah well, the pics of if looked pretty cool though!

Andrew
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Yep, it was fun. Problem there is, in some areas of Maui, you get only 10" rain a year. But other places that we liked to go, they get 400" + a year. So we were constantly wondering if we should put up the top or not. :)

Now if I could just find a well-paying job there... :)

-Paul