Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Glad the problem wasn't serious, but, man, that is inexcusable on the part of the shop that put your tires on! That could have gotten you killed.

I hope you let them know about it.

You still ought to do one more thing, if you haven't already. Did you check the holes in the wheels where the lug studs go through? Are they still nice and round? Loose or missing lug nuts can wallow out the hole that the studs go through,
    and that "ain't a good thing." Well, I said one more thing, but you should also have checked the threads on the studs very closely to be sure they weren't damaged.

If either of the above are in evidence, then go right back to that shop and make them make it right for ya. A new wheel and/or new studs.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Hey, five hours is a pain, but not the end of the world for some good wheelin'.

It takes me about six or six and a half hours to get to Attica (Badlands). I've only been twice, and the second time I was only two hours away from there on business, so I just shot on over there.

I would love to hook up with ya, so just let me know.

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    "...if I had lost that wheel while riding!"

My buddy did on his 79 Anniversary Trans Am!

" ...double check the lug nuts after getting new tires, that's like checking to see if your dentist drilled the right tooth."

I had shoulder surgery in the spring. They have you circle the area they will operate on and initial it with a purple magic marker. I guess that is a lot cheaper, quicker, and easier than the alternatives.

You should also rotate tires yourself, do own spark plugs, and do own oil changes for these reasons. These monkeys are the kids who drop out of high school, don't forget!
    Congratulations on your interest in a Wrangler! I just have to warn you, though, a Jeep is about 100 times more fun than you can imagine, so you'd better be sure you can handle that much fun. :)

OK, the "X" is fine, I'm sure. They didn't even offer it in the 01 model year when I ordered my Thelma Jane. As you have probably read in my recent posts, the Dana 44 rear end is not available in the X model. How important is that? It really depends on how you will use the Jeep and what future mods you want to be able to make.

If you think you will ever do more than just mild offroading, will ever want to put in a locker, or go to 33" tires or larger, then the Dana 44 can be pretty important.

You said your use would be around town and mild offroading, so as long as that remains the case, you should get by fine with the Dana 35.

As a matter of fact, around town and mild offroading sounds like a good set of condtions for the new 2.4 L four cylinder engine. You could save some money and get the "SE" version, which has the four cylinder. You would save enough there I'm sure to get the dual top option and some after market wheels and tires. (I'm thinkin' five speed here... I don't think I would want the four cylinder hooked up with an automatic tranny under any circumstances).

As far as the soft top after market, Bestop is the manufacturer of the new tops used by DC on the brand new Jeeps, so you could get EXACTLY the same top as you would get from the factory.

There is no way in the world to get both tops as cheaply as you can by getting the dual top option, assuming you want the same quality of hard top and soft top that you would get from the factory.

If you have a good place to store the hard top, and if you don't have to depend on using the Jeep on rainy days, then you might find the hard top only to be a pretty good deal. I have an old pickup to drive to work and for most of my running around, and having the hard top only isn't so bad for me. I take that puppy and the doors off in the spring and don't put them back on until the fall. I just use my old truck for rainy days.

Hope this helps

Tom

• likalarlikalar Posts: 108
    Nice message board; Thanks! I'm new to this board, and hope someone here can steer me in the right direction: I'm considering a 98' 6 cyl, low mileage auto Wrangler (not sure of the rear end installed) as a vehicle for occassional towng (6-8 times a year, under 100 miles each way) of a 2300 lb. rig. The dealer rates the '03 Wrangler for 2000 lb. limit. I've heard that published capacities for towing are often over or underrated. Does anyone here actually tow with a 6 cylinder Wrangler? If so, is the power adequate for trips like mine? Thanks a bunch for any input.
    Larry
    I have never towed anything with my Jeep, so your best info on this will come from someone else.

I can tell you, though, that it's not a power issue that limits the towing, especially if you have the 4.0 L inline six.

It is because of the short wheelbase (and maybe the high center of gravity?) of the Jeep that you are limited in what you tow. It's a matter of handling and stopping, I think.

Somebody jump in here and give us the straight skinny on this.

Tom

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    You are right, Tom.

It is the short wheelbase. The power is more than enough. The same engine/tranny in a Cherokee (a heavier vehicle) will tow 5000 lbs.

It has to do with driver ability, lawyers, and courts more than vehicle capabilities.

I tow a 2000 lb boat in the summer with no problems at all. Sometimes it is close to the spare when in a tight turn, however.

;-)
  • Tom, Right now I am looking at a 03 Sahara with the Dual top option, ABS (ya I know), Trak-Lok differential and the new Khaki color. I usually go for dark colors (black) but may try something different like the Khaki. This is on the dealers lot. Although I still may order. My main use will be as a car for bad weather..rain, snow ice etc. Although I have never off-roaded I may try some medium off roading. By the way when you talk of medium off roading what exactly is that? As you can see you are dealing with an amateur.
  • Tom-

Thanks for replying to my message. To answer a few of your questions:

I would love to get the SE, but my wife cant/refuses to drive stick so the 4.0 Auto is the ONLY option as you know.

I see what you mean about going with the Sport to get the dual top. You do save money. That would be the best route to go if I wanted longer (arrg)for 0% financing to come back. But, if I bought soon and got the 4.9% I think I would go with the X with a Hard top and by the soft top later in the spring. Then Im not paying Interest on a soft top that I couldn't use till April/May anyways.

I assume you have a Sport then? Do you have ABS or did you skip it? How is your stopping with or without it? Is there anything else that would of done differently when you purchased your Wrangler?

Anyone else's insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brandt
    Man, I LOVE that "khaki" color, even though it "ain't khaki." We've been here before, so I won't go into that name for the color all over again. Wait... YES I WILL! Where did they come up with "khaki" for the name of a grey color???

OK, I feel better now. :)

Let's see, what IS my definition of moderate offroading?? Hmmm. I think what I do is probably on the high side of moderate, but cetainly not extreme.

Rock crawling is pretty extreme, I would say. Have you seen pictures of what they do with Jeeps out west, where the main type of "wheelin" is rock crawling? Whoa! They go almost straight up rock faces, over boulders, and everything you can imagine.

Anything that puts a major stress on the drive train would be where you would want the Dana 44. Like a tire spinning and then grabbing all of a sudden, especially with a locker in the differential.

Bigger tires put more stress on the differential too. I think you would be OK with the Dana 35 up to 33" tires, but that would depend on the type of offroading you would be doing.

I hope I haven't overdone this Dana 35 vs Dana 44 thing, but I read so many posts in another forum where all the folks are offroaders, and there are NUMEROUS posts about the Dana 35 being too weak and axle shafts breaking.

The safest thing to do when in doubt is to get the doggone Dana 44, and then you don't have to worry about it.

It leaves a lot of options open for you in the future.

Is it absolutely essential? NO.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. I am simply trying to supply you with the best info for your decision.

I CAN say that I am very glad that I got the Dana 44. Could I have done everything I have done so far if I had just the Dana 35? Most likely, yes.

Tom

• Tsjay is right. It all in the suspension and transmission. Although the Wrangler's trasmission is heavy duty enough to handle the stress of towing, its short wheelbase suspension that cannot. If you look up some of 4 cyl pick up truck ratings they will be higher then the Wrangler because of the longer wheel base, even though the 6cyl has tons more torque. The short wheel base can be real dangerous going to turns in high speeds and in stoping when towing.

Hope this helps
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Not to mention how hard it can be to back a trailer up with a SWB rig - I never did get the hang of it with my CJ5 and a little utility trailer.

Check out the Towing tips for SUVs discussion for more generic info.

Steve, Host
  • dewarsdewars Posts: 58
    Re : towing with a wrangler, The power is adaquate only if you have the correct gearing. Make sure the Jeep you are looking at has at least 373 gears. I would not want to tow with anything higher. Remember, a modest increase in tire height (1" or 2") will have the effect of going to higher gears.

dewars
    Yep, my Thelma Jane is an 01 Sport.

I did not go with the ABS option, since I couldn't get the Dana 44 rear end and ABS together. I probably would not have gotten ABS anyway, though. I have heard that ABS doesn't work very well at all if larger tires are put on the vehicle.

Four wheel disc brakes were not an option in 01, but I think they are now, and that would be a good option (unless that means you get ABS too).

Jeep brakes (with the old shoe type brakes in the back at least) are not very strong. I would be happy to have four wheel discs.

The larger the tires you put on the Jeep, the weaker the braking is, unless the brakes are modified somehow.

Anything I would have done differently?? Good question, and fortunately I think I can answer that with a qualified "No." I say "qualified," because there is one minor thing... tow hooks. I skipped the tow hook/foglight option, since I really didn't think I would be offroading the Jeep and originally didn't think the fog lights looked good (I do now, though).

So, why did I make it a point to get the Dana 44, if I wasn't planning on offroading? Because, I figured if it was a heavier duty rear end, then it should last longer and would allow me to go to bigger tires in the future. I was hoping to get a lift and bigger tires, but it was going to be just for "looks." Well, one little offroading trip changed that! Now I would be getting the lift and bigger tires for better offroad capability (and looks too).

Tom

P.S. Some of you other guys and gal (mtngal) chime in here with YOUR opinions! I'm hogging up too much space here. :) (BUT I LOVE TALKIN' JEEP, so please forgive me)
    These shots were taken by someone else, but they show some of the stuff there is to do at Turkey Bay where I go wheelin'.

There are also some shots of what can happen with a Dana 35 if you do much wheelin'.

Take a look.

Tom

http://community.webshots.com/album/50936701UXBYSu

• 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Looks like my kind of playground!

I want a D44 now! That broken 35 pic scares me...
  • I think they all need Rubicons.
    I am getting almost sick over this issue. It is VERY important to me to give good advice to people who trust me to advise them. I don't want anyone to pass up a Jeep because it has a 35, when it could be that a 35 is all they would ever need.

On the other hand, I want people to realize that a Dana 44 is a much stronger rear end that allows bigger tires and lockers in the future and will stand up to much tougher offroad situations.

In the final analysis, it is YOUR call and YOUR money, so take what has been said and make your own decision. I think I have presented the case as best I can, so you judge for yourselves whether the Dana 44 is something you think is very important.

There are lots of people out there on Dana 35's, and most of them don't have a problem.

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Posts: 311
    Hey Tom..whats your opinion.. Dana 35 vs 44?
    Just kidding..

WELCOME to all the new jeepers here..
    Keep us all posted on what you get.

Im not a JEEP purist like the rest of the folks in here, I bought my just because it looks cool.
    and NO offroading for me, I might get a scratch.

But I do agree with tom, If you think you will EVER do anykind of offroading go with the 44's
    PLUS-- that wouls make it better appealing IF you ever decide to re-sale.

BTW Mine-- TAZZ 01 60th aniiversary Edition
    Black with black dual tops. Auto with all the sahara goodies.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Have you ever given any thought to a Dana 35 as opposed to the 44? ;-)

This makes me think we should have a slogan around here - something like "Tom reports, you decide!"

tidester, host